Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello gentlemen

Thanks

Re: Hello gentlemen

I'll add more of my thoughts later but before I forget I want to chime in on something.

I'm not the type of a person to pass the judgment on anyone, but I wish some mongers would treat the girls better. It's a third world country with an underdeveloped economy and a massive unemployment rate. Many of the chicas have got pregnant very young and were stuck raising the children alone without any support from a kid's father. I don't know what I'd do in their place but like that guy Jesus said, before looking down on me why don't you try and walk in my shoes (or something to that extent).

Most of the guests were a good natured cheerful lot but there were a few assholes who acted like they owned the place (and the chicas) and truth be told, needed a good hard slap to bring them back to reality.

I know some would disagree and point at many cases of chicas taking advantage of gringos and cite my lack of experience of dealing with them but here's what I'm trying to say. I'm not advocating WU kind of relationships or some kind of "save a chica" rehab program/personal projects.

What I do believe in, is treating people fairly and respectfully, as long as they return the favor, no matter who these people are and what they do for a living. I believe everyone deserves that.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobrivers View Post
    I'll add more of my thoughts later but before I forget I want to chime in on something.

I'm not the type of a person to pass the judgment on anyone, but I wish some mongers would treat the girls better. It's a third world country with an underdeveloped economy and a massive unemployment rate. Many of the chicas have got pregnant very young and were stuck raising the children alone without any support from a kid's father. I don't know what I'd do in their place but like that guy Jesus said, before looking down on me why don't you try and walk in my shoes (or something to that extent).

Thats not our business that the Gov't doesn't care. They can make laws but they say fuck it.

But thanks for your 2 cents.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I also would like to thank ISOC members Ralphie1, Patoine and Ter319 for sharing the info on Blackbeards before my visit. You guys have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Well-written report, Bob. My first visit to the DR was to Blackbeards and I barely stepped outside the premises for two weeks. Started a love affair with the DR which led to my moving here permanently six months ago so I will always have a soft spot for the place.

However there are other places to see and other chicas to do here and I hope next time you come you may have a bit more time to explore further afield. You would be most welcome to dine with me in Puerto Plata as a modest start.
    Thanks a lot for the invitation, weyland. I may take you up on it in the future.

Not totally true. A sustained extermination policy by the management would go a long way to eliminating them, but I guess it is not worth the trouble as only a minority of us seemed really bothered by them.
    You're right, it's just I'm one of those unfortunate ones that mosquitoes and other troublesome incects always attracted to, and having a sensitive skin doesn't help. But it is what it is and it's a minor discomfort on a large scale of things.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 4,554 Posts

good stuff bob, I've never had any problems with the mosquitos when there luckily. I've not yet found the reason why. I have noticed that the members who go during the US winter months seem to mention it more than those like myself that go during the summer months. I don't know if that is a factor or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, the bottled water is premium. Points well made and report well done. We seem very like minded, maybe we will cross paths down there if you happen to go back in the summer months.

Oh yeah, regardless of what your plans were before going to BB's, you will end up back there quicker than you can imagine. After my first time there, I said I would be back the following year without a doubt. I got some lucky days off work and I was back there 3-4 weeks later. Prepare yourself for it, its like the movie Blade "the thirst always wins!!!!"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dunedain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A few words on the flight.

Never used JetBlue before so I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of legroom you get. Me being a six feet tall guy I always have problem during flights when there's no space to stretch your legs.

The downside is, they don't serve any food unless you count a tiny bottle of water/can of soda plus a bag of chips. I know it's a relatively cheap flight and 3,5 hours isn't a lifetime to go without having a bite but I still feel JetBlue could do a bit more in that department.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dunedain View Post
    good stuff bob, I've never had any problems with the mosquitos when there luckily. I've not yet found the reason why. I have noticed that the members who go during the US winter months seem to mention it more than those like myself that go during the summer months. I don't know if that is a factor or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, the bottled water is premium. Points well made and report well done. We seem very like minded, maybe we will cross paths down there if you happen to go back in the summer months.

Oh yeah, regardless of what your plans were before going to BB's, you will end up back there quicker than you can imagine. After my first time there, I said I would be back the following year without a doubt. I got some lucky days off work and I was back there 3-4 weeks later. Prepare yourself for it, its like the movie Blade "the thirst always wins!!!!"

I know what you mean,man.

I was totally depressed on my flight home to NYC. Leaving this sunny paradise full of hot sexy latinas after only three days and four nights for snowy and cold Big Apple was almost too much to bear.

I also had a misfortune to be seated next to a young Dominican chick with a little daughter who spent the whole trip bitching, moaning and kicking. By the end of the flight I was convinced she was the female version of Damien from "Omen" and was ready to give a "good shlap in a moush" as Sean Connery would put it, to her for being a Satan's seed, her mother for mating with the Devil and the whole US government for not implementing the law to prohibit the children under certain age from boarding the planes.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another thing I noticed.

I was aware of how some of the BB girls look like thanks to the ISOC trip reports with pics but was actually suprised how much shorter they look in real life (the photos make them look taller). Most chicas I've seen there are around 5'2'' - 5'4'', although they all are very well put together and very attractive.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,329 Times in 1,057 Posts

I am on my way there tomorrow and I cant wait! Thanks for the report!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to insular For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by insular View Post
    I am on my way there tomorrow and I cant wait! Thanks for the report!

Have a great trip.... looking forward to some updates when you return

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

First, thanx for sharing, and glad u had a good time, Sosua of course must be your next adventure. On the water...... I even bring my own hard plastic forks and knives to eat out with. Plastic cups as well. I have been good so far the last 6 or so trips!!!
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 376 Posts

I'm not the type of a person to pass the judgment on anyone, but I wish some mongers would treat the girls better.
    Hey Bob:

i know exactly what you are talking about. Seeing the way some of the guys relate to the girls and country in general has made me feel the same way. A lot of it comes down to how you understand poverty, and I think this relates to different monger mindsets.

THis is a big over generalization, but I believe there is truth in these two extremes:

Some people believe that the poverty is caused by individual deficits: no education, lazy, poor work ethic, over consumption, etc. These are the guys who see the people as "backwards" , and believe themselves to be culturally superior. This is reflected in the way they treat others. They order the girls around and talk down to them as if they were stupid. They seemed to be on power trips. POlitical talk at the bar that bordered on racist. SOmetimes they come off as stereo-typical ugly Americans.

Another group believes that the poverty is related to systemic injustices: a legacy of racism: from slavery, through colonialism, military occupation, and unfair economic policies of the present. Although there may be truth to some personal deficits among individuals, this perspective does not see that as the principal cause of poverty. THis is reflected in the way this monger would treat the girls with respect, as equals. With empathy.

That said, there are probably a lot of people somewhere between these two positions.

A few times at BB's, I met too many of the first mindset and felt better just keeping to myself. IT made me question for a minute if mongering was actually wrong for me. But in time, I did meet through this board some people with a wide range of opinions, but all nice people who treated the girls decently and seemed to good people all around.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

First, the mosquitoes. Yes, I was warned in advance but those Dominican bloodsuckers were as much in love with my gringo blood as the chicas are in love with the US dinero. Funny thing is, they don't bother locals but quite a few guests had to use the sprays that were stocked behind the bar counter.
    Mosquitoes in place like the DR normally mean malaria is also a problem, no?
    I expect to stay at BB' March 4-11, anybody wants to share ride to Sosua?

Thanks

Another clip from the disco night.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcf...eards-3_travel

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maohui View Post
    Mosquitoes in place like the DR normally mean malaria is also a problem, no?
    Malaria is spread by night-biting mosquitoes. It is only endemic in certain areas of the DR, none of them on the North Coast.

Dengue fever is one you might worry about. This is spread by a daytime-biting variety of mosquito and at times is relatively common on the North Coast. I know a few gringos who have caught it. It comes in many versions from mild 'flu-like symptoms to incurably fatal but the latter is very rare among healthy adults.

The difference is that you can 95% protect against malaria by taking a course of Malarone in the prescribed way but there is no pre-prevention of dengue.

Having said that, these things are relative. You are much more likely to be killed or injured on or by a motoconcho than catch dengue fever.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound very cheerful either.

OK, let's start again. Forget about malaria and dengue and enjoy your trip! If you stay in gringo-orientated areas the chances of catching either are extremely remote and, if you are still worried, you can minimise them further by taking normal precautions against bites (cover up arms and legs around sundown, use repellent creams on exposed skin, spray your room before going out for the evening, don't have the lights on when doors or windows are open, etc).
    Last edited by weyland; 03-05-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarification

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another piece of advice for those traveling to BB's for the first time.

Before arrival I was under the impression that you can only charge all your food and drinks to your room and pay the bill later in USD, which is what I did during my stay. However, there were plenty of guests that paid for food & alcohol with pesos when ordering them and next time I go there I'd probably go with that option.

I'm not sure if you save any money by doing one thing or the other, it's just for me personally it's easier to budget my trip knowing exactly how much I've already spent and how much have got left, rather than find out the whole amount at the checkout on your last day.

The thing is, when you tend to get drunk and get carried away, you spend money more easily and when you don't actually see it coming out of your pocket, it's spent at a faster speed. Kind of like people buying expensive shit they can't afford with a credit card and then get surprised when they receive the bill.

This is not a knock on Blackbeards in any way because they give you a choice, all I'm saying is, with an abundance of alcohol, beach party atmosphere and being surrounded by sexy chicas all day and night long you have to be responsible with the way you spend your money and pick an option that works for you.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FnB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    First, thanx for sharing, and glad u had a good time, Sosua of course must be your next adventure. On the water...... I even bring my own hard plastic forks and knives to eat out with. Plastic cups as well. I have been good so far the last 6 or so trips!!!

Might be a dumb question .... but why do you bring plastic cups, knives and forks?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Another piece of advice for those traveling to BB's for the first time.

Before arrival I was under the impression that you can only charge all your food and drinks to your room and pay the bill later in USD, which is what I did during my stay. However, there were plenty of guests that paid for food & alcohol with pesos when ordering them and next time I go there I'd probably go with that option.

I'm not sure if you save any money by doing one thing or the other, it's just for me personally it's easier to budget my trip knowing exactly how much I've already spent and how much have got left, rather than find out the whole amount at the checkout on your last day.

The thing is, when you tend to get drunk and get carried away, you spend money more easily and when you don't actually see it coming out of your pocket, it's spent at a faster speed. Kind of like people buying expensive shit they can't afford with a credit card and then get surprised when they receive the bill.

This is not a knock on Blackbeards in any way because they give you a choice, all I'm saying is, with an abundance of alcohol, beach party atmosphere and being surrounded by sexy chicas all day and night long you have to be responsible with the way you spend your money and pick an option that works for you.
    Paying for drinks as you go prevents those that serve you the drinks from padding of your tab, accidental or otherwise.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm thinking about going back to BB's for a week or so somewhere between the 20th and 30th of May.

Is it a good time to go there in terms of weather,chica selection,etc?

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shue07 View Post
    Might be a dumb question .... but why do you bring plastic cups, knives and forks?
    Thanks
    To minimize the exposure to third world tap water. It's not a necessity, but some are really cautious.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information