Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Simply Red-- great choice

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: The New Simply Red-- great choice

Quote Originally Posted by nnjdave View Post
    I tried Big D's several times on my 1/10-1/16 trip, he wasn't open once, but I think it was just because it rained every day.

I also walked over to Simply Red, but it wasn't open, about 6PM on Friday. Ended up having a pretty decent meal at Bologna. Then beer at Lou's. Some how, the beer at Lou's happened every night.
    Owner who told me he was Swiss and a chef said they open everyday by 11am and are open late. That week we were both there he was closed a few times when the rain ruined everything. I will be going back.

Medic and I each had the pizza at Bologna and it was ok except for on the one named Bologna (there loaded one) it was heavily hit with yellow squash or a type of yellow zucchini which I picked off and there was enough to fill the ash tray.

It was good enough although a bit soggy in the center but that is common on a loaded pizza. The worst thing was the service. We asked for Parmesan cheese when we ordered and had to ask two more times.

Medic asked for napkins twice and I said Serviettes on the second try and finally we got some when he saw us get up to get 2 off another table.
    Just Doing It

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

I can trully say that the 1st time I ever got the shits in Sosua out of the 3 times I unfortunatly came down with them, was eating a salad at Bologna. I was with 3 guys, I think Beads and Jimmy were there, and I was the only one who had a salad.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    I can trully say that the 1st time I ever got the shits in Sosua out of the 3 times I unfortunatly came down with them, was eating a salad at Bologna. I was with 3 guys, I think Beads and Jimmy were there, and I was the only one who had a salad.
    Did you toss your salad??

Sorry Jimbo I couldn't resist that one.

Nothing worth than the shits when you are trying in the middle of a good session.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: The New Simply Red-- great choice

I had dinner there very recently with friends and we all enjoyed the meal very much. We had 3 entrees: Spaghetti Bolognese, Grilled chicken with Curry Sauce, with a side of veg, and Fillet de Res (a decent basic steak)...sorry no pictures of the food this time!

The menu is entirely in Spanish and one of my friends could not read it. The waitress attempted to assist until the Owner, a great guy from Belgium, quickly came over to introduce himself. He was a great help and offered some excellent suggestions as well. We had an interesting conversation with him while waiting for the food.

Dinner was prepared to order and did not take long to arrive, with a basket of very good garlic bread arriving quickly. We ate leisurely, and were not disturbed by overly attentive staff, but they were available when we wished.

The total bill, for 3 people, drinks and tax included in the pricing, was just under $1000 pesos and we left a generous tip.
    We skipped coffee and desert...and went to the clubs instead!

Overall I would rate it highly at 3/4 stars and recommend it to friends. It's somewhat comparable to Baily's Restaurant with perhaps a smaller menu. We arrived nineish and were the only customers although I bet this will soon change.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and there is a large club to the side and rear. It's the old "La Canoa" disco/tipico redone. They have have live bands and plan to continue to. I will definitely come to see the bands and eat here regularly.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    I had dinner there very recently with friends and we all enjoyed the meal very much. We had 3 entrees: Spaghetti Bolognese, Grilled chicken with Curry Sauce, with a side of veg, and Fillet de Res (a decent basic steak)...sorry no pictures of the food this time!

The menu is entirely in Spanish and one of my friends could not read it. The waitress attempted to assist until the Owner, a great guy from Belgium, quickly came over to introduce himself. He was a great help and offered some excellent suggestions as well. We had an interesting conversation with him while waiting for the food.

Dinner was prepared to order and did not take long to arrive, with a basket of very good garlic bread arriving quickly. We ate leisurely, and were not disturbed by overly attentive staff, but they were available when we wished.

The total bill, for 3 people, drinks and tax included in the pricing, was just under $1000 pesos and we left a generous tip.
    We skipped coffee and desert...and went to the clubs instead!

Overall I would rate it highly at 3/4 stars and recommend it to friends. It's somewhat comparable to Baily's Restaurant with perhaps a smaller menu. We arrived nineish and were the only customers although I bet this will soon change.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and there is a large club to the side and rear. It's the old "La Canoa" disco/tipico redone. They have have live bands and plan to continue to. I will definitely come to see the bands and eat here regularly.
    How are the bands? There wasn't any the week of the rain when I was there. The steak was decent though at about $10 like 350RD. Did he stop charging the tax seperate like many posted on DR1. I never noticed if we paid it additionally or not because we had alot of drinks and our tab was much higher.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

There was live music advertised for they grand opening but I did not attend but will post after the next one assuming I go.

The tax was definitely included in the menu pricing and was also brokenout on the bill so you could see exactly how much it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    How are the bands? There wasn't any the week of the rain when I was there. The steak was decent though at about $10 like 350RD. Did he stop charging the tax seperate like many posted on DR1. I never noticed if we paid it additionally or not because we had alot of drinks and our tab was much higher.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    There was live music advertised for they grand opening but I did not attend but will post after the next one assuming I go.

The tax was definitely included in the menu pricing and was also brokenout on the bill so you could see exactly how much it was.
    Great Thanks, I always hate that 16% plus 10% surprise at the end. Even if I know they do it like Baileys and choose to still eat there anyway because I like it the tax bugs me. I think most of us are smart enough to divide an amount say for simplicity by 4 and figure that if our dinner is 400 pesos they will add a 100 but it seems to piss me off to see it.

I would prefer they just put the total on the menu. Then bringing that lame ass treasure chest with your bill like you are going to fill it up with a big tip cracks me up. I will visit Simply read in just over a week again.

The owner told me he was Swiss and you and someone else said Belguim Guy so being he has a lot of beer from Belguim I am guessing a Swiss guy who is from Belguim not that it matters. They both have great chocolates

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information