Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any info on Monte Cristo of Dajabon?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 673 Posts

Re: Any info on Monte Cristo of Dajabon?

NEVERMIND i see there are pics now sorry
    Mirage6 "The Producer"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

I've been to Dajabon once but was working and din't get to see much besides the market. Monte Christi is a quiet, dumpy little town. I've been there twice, once for New Years, also working and once for Carnaval.

The main disco in Monte Christi is called calle ocho and plays their music louder than any place I have been in the DR. Seriously I kept checking my ears for trickling blood.

Carnaval in Monte Christi is nuts. Guys fighting in the streets with bullwhips! No kidding. They all show off their welts like some sort of badge of courage.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/photogallery/index.php?cat=39 there are some pics from carnaval.

There is a secluded beach called "El Morro" as well. http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/elmorro.html

That is a really short video of El Morro.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dang...the carnival queen is a pure 10.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I am seriously interested in visiting Monte Cristi and possibly Dajabon this trip but I want to go with someone who knows the DR and Spanish better than me. I am hoping Dominican Billy will come through with one of his contacts but I would be grateful for any sensible information re: hotels, pick-up places, things and places to avoid, etc. I will need to stay overnight for one night, partly because of the travel time and partly to sample the goods before bringing them back to Billy's, since that is my aim, although even if that does not work it should be an interesting trip. I am not contemplating crossing the border. I don't want to stay more than one night because I have made a block booking at FoD so would be paying twice for rooms.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Hotels in Monte Christi are far from great. I stayed at Hotel Chic which was cheap but a dump;-) No shower head just bare pipe with water pouring out etc. My room also had no toilet seat!

I didn't check out any pay for play action and am not sure if there is any. There is a little "cafeteria" a few doors down from Caribe tours, named Olivia's. Aske Olivia if Raul is around. If there is action in Monte Christi, he would know.

There is a french restaurant named Bistro, and they also have a very small hotel with 4 rooms on the beach. It has to be much nicer than hotel chic, but is far from the main part of town etc.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am game to go and I am fluent in spanish, sometimes confused w a local. There is a guy from ISG who was also interested in going. He will also make it to Sosua and perhaps be interested in going.

Bus it to MC and then hire a taxi bet 3 to go to Dejabon? Could work.

I am thinking the Cabanas that were mentioned earlier in the thread may be a possibility.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2
    Hotels in Monte Christi are far from great. I stayed at Hotel Chic which was cheap but a dump;-) No shower head just bare pipe with water pouring out etc. My room also had no toilet seat!

I didn't check out any pay for play action and am not sure if there is any. There is a little "cafeteria" a few doors down from Caribe tours, named Olivia's. Aske Olivia if Raul is around. If there is action in Monte Christi, he would know.

There is a french restaurant named Bistro, and they also have a very small hotel with 4 rooms on the beach. It has to be much nicer than hotel chic, but is far from the main part of town etc.
    Hi prtyr2
    Great to meet you in Sosua yesterday, and even better to have finally shaken you off.

Sounds like Monte Cristi is not the place to pick up hungry Haitians. I thought it would be crawling with them. Sound like Dajabon or bust, then.

Thanks

We gotta go blitzkrieg style...if lame retreat and come back home to Sosua and maybe Montellano will be the source.

Thanks

Got back...will do a mini report later. Basically Monte Cristi is out, Dajabon quite a bit of potential, Montellano gold.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

If it's a couple hours to Santiago, what is it to Monte Cristo? about 4 - 5 hour bus ride??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by concarne View Post
    Got back...will do a mini report later. Basically Monte Cristi is out, Dajabon quite a bit of potential, Montellano gold.
    Hi concarne. Have you done your report ? I would like to read about your adventures.

Thank you !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information