• Cubano Cafe (Apostropheman)

34 17.62%
  • La Roca (Apostropheman)

27 13.99%
  • News Cafe (Apostropheman)

5 2.59%
  • Scotch 'N' Sirloin (Apostropheman)

38 19.69%
  • PJ's...I know I know but the food is MUCH better now! (Apostropheman)

25 12.95%
  • Oh La Vaca (Apostropheman)

19 9.84%
  • Casa Marina A1A, I just walk in as I am looking for someone!! (Jimbo44)

5 2.59%
  • Big D's on the beach (Ram)

62 32.12%
  • The Waterfront (Apostropheman)

24 12.44%
  • Susanna's (DMV)

24 12.44%
  • Andre's Seafood on the beach (jd426)

7 3.63%
  • Romanoff (jd426)

18 9.33%
  • Statton's (Great Floor show there) (the_Jayman)

6 3.11%
  • Orchidee (KoKi9290)

18 9.33%
  • Ricky's Fried Chicken (KoKi9290)

11 5.70%
  • The Shark Bar (gdogg)

30 15.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: 02/2010 - Your 5 Best Choices for Eating in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Re: Your 5 Best Choices for Eating in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastallstar View Post
    That happens when your paying dime pieces 200 pesos for TLN, you tend to get spoiled.
    Good point, but in my defense, i just want a good "slice" like i'm around the way!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

I've eaten at the same places the majority of the time for six years...

(in no particular order)
    1. Rocky's - I was shocked after all the reading I did about the place before my first trip that it took me two days to find it. No one knew where it was. I eventually found it, and have eaten breakfast there (when I eat breakfast, or don't get it free at Casa Cayena) ever since. Never went there for quick food, I knew the deal about the wait before ever landing on the island. They went through a spell a few years ago where the food came out quickly. I was actually pissed off. The first couple of trips most to all my meals were there. Never had a bad one.

2. Morua Mai - Try to get there at least once a trip, always getting the same thing (seafood platter). Except for the one trip when they tried to charge around 1000 pesos for it (I left), it's a really good plate for the money.

3. El Toro - Another once a trip destination, especially for special occasions (like TropicBob's birthday). I've heard/read mixed opinions about this place, but I've never had a problem with it. Good steaks (don't know where they're from), potatoes, and stateside tasting salad. Love the prime rib!

4. Susanna's Criolla - When I stopped getting up at the crack of dawn (i.e. when I stopped going with Jimmy), this became my first meal of the day. It used to sooooo cheap. Equivalent of two meals for 70 pesos. I was surprised when I first asked for another helping of whatever meat it was I ordered, and was only charged 10 extra pesos. It's not as cheap as it once was, but you still get enough to fill up on and have some for later for an excellent price.

5. The New York Shark Bar - I miss those old days going to the beach. I'd be passing chicas and paying them no mind...I'd have sweet sausage on the brain (shut the fuck up...in advance!). That was the best thing Lou made back then, because the burgers were always sold out. Great burgers, hot dogs (real Nathan's), sausage sandwiches, and wings. A bit pricey (especially for me), but you still can't beat the quality of the food, the great comraderie (with friends and strangers), and Lou and his staff!

6. Tipico Alberto - I first started eating there on my first trip. I liked the location, especially if you ate outside. Real cool atmosphere that's great for chica watching. The food and the prices were good. Back in the day, this girl I used to see on the regular worked there. On our first "date", she got all dolled up. I was like "where do you want to eat?", she was like "Tipico Alberto". I was confused...you work there all day, and now you want to eat there? That's when I first learned about workers getting kick backs for bringing in customers. Plus, she wanted to show off how she looked when she wasn't wearing an apron and hairnet. I digress...

7. Sandwich stand in front of Classicos - Can't be beat after a night of drinking and dancing and pre-boning! That's a ritual for me (and a lot of us). Get the chica, get the sandwich, get to the room. I always get an extra one for post-coital dining if needed. I was warned about eating from those stands, but I've never had an issue with them. And the food's so damned tasty!

8. The GREAT Chicken Stand (between the old Sosua Palace and the old La Passions). I've been to a few chicken stands in Sosua, Santiago, and places in between, but NONE can touch that one. Get two chickens for 140 pesos, and feed everyone at The Palace.

...about PJ's - They say the food's better...been saying it since 2006. Apos swears it's now the BOMB!! Back in 2004 it was the only thing open after the clubs let out. I was told the chicken was safe. I ate there twice with a chica. Chicas were ok...I got sick both times. Later found out the chicken was safe...DURING THE DAY! Haven't been back since. I may give it a shot next go round, new management and all.

...I've eaten at most of the other places listed over the years, just not regularly enough for them to make the list.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

They don't sell by the slice but most pies are about 300 pesos and they have good ice cream .
    Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Good point, but in my defense, i just want a good "slice" like i'm around the way!!
    "Panties are not the best thing in the world, but they are next to it"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to officemgr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    I've eaten at the same places the majority of the time for six years...

(in no particular order)
    1. Rocky's - I was shocked after all the reading I did about the place before my first trip that it took me two days to find it. No one knew where it was. I eventually found it, and have eaten breakfast there (when I eat breakfast, or don't get it free at Casa Cayena) ever since. Never went there for quick food, I knew the deal about the wait before ever landing on the island. They went through a spell a few years ago where the food came out quickly. I was actually pissed off. The first couple of trips most to all my meals were there. Never had a bad one.

2. Morua Mai - Try to get there at least once a trip, always getting the same thing (seafood platter). Except for the one trip when they tried to charge around 1000 pesos for it (I left), it's a really good plate for the money.

3. El Toro - Another once a trip destination, especially for special occasions (like TropicBob's birthday). I've heard/read mixed opinions about this place, but I've never had a problem with it. Good steaks (don't know where they're from), potatoes, and stateside tasting salad. Love the prime rib!

4. Susanna's Criolla - When I stopped getting up at the crack of dawn (i.e. when I stopped going with Jimmy), this became my first meal of the day. It used to sooooo cheap. Equivalent of two meals for 70 pesos. I was surprised when I first asked for another helping of whatever meat it was I ordered, and was only charged 10 extra pesos. It's not as cheap as it once was, but you still get enough to fill up on and have some for later for an excellent price.

5. The New York Shark Bar - I miss those old days going to the beach. I'd be passing chicas and paying them no mind...I'd have sweet sausage on the brain (shut the fuck up...in advance!). That was the best thing Lou made back then, because the burgers were always sold out. Great burgers, hot dogs (real Nathan's), sausage sandwiches, and wings. A bit pricey (especially for me), but you still can't beat the quality of the food, the great comraderie (with friends and strangers), and Lou and his staff!

6. Tipico Alberto - I first started eating there on my first trip. I liked the location, especially if you ate outside. Real cool atmosphere that's great for chica watching. The food and the prices were good. Back in the day, this girl I used to see on the regular worked there. On our first "date", she got all dolled up. I was like "where do you want to eat?", she was like "Tipico Alberto". I was confused...you work there all day, and now you want to eat there? That's when I first learned about workers getting kick backs for bringing in customers. Plus, she wanted to show off how she looked when she wasn't wearing an apron and hairnet. I digress...

7. Sandwich stand in front of Classicos - Can't be beat after a night of drinking and dancing and pre-boning! That's a ritual for me (and a lot of us). Get the chica, get the sandwich, get to the room. I always get an extra one for post-coital dining if needed. I was warned about eating from those stands, but I've never had an issue with them. And the food's so damned tasty!

8. The GREAT Chicken Stand (between the old Sosua Palace and the old La Passions). I've been to a few chicken stands in Sosua, Santiago, and places in between, but NONE can touch that one. Get two chickens for 140 pesos, and feed everyone at The Palace.

...about PJ's - They say the food's better...been saying it since 2006. Apos swears it's now the BOMB!! Back in 2004 it was the only thing open after the clubs let out. I was told the chicken was safe. I ate there twice with a chica. Chicas were ok...I got sick both times. Later found out the chicken was safe...DURING THE DAY! Haven't been back since. I may give it a shot next go round, new management and all.

...I've eaten at most of the other places listed over the years, just not regularly enough for them to make the list.
    Good stuff, I feel the same way about the first 5 and don't know where #6 alberto is?? Or number 8 must be a thing of the past (what street is it on) or at least the price because now at those chicken stands it isn't 140 for two or even one.

The stands across from Europa are 275 per chicken with that plantain stuff to go with it. I worked on them for chicken only and the lowest I could get was 225 per just the one Chicken. I will say it is excellent and they chop it up for easy eating before they put it in the togo box. And I cover it with the included Salsa Verde.

Anyone know of a goat place other than La finca in Sosua. How about any other unusual food.
    Just Doing It

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

La Roca , El Toro, Rockys, and The Shark Bar are the only ones on the list and I cant add anymore it says!

I only do La Roca for the all you can eat bbq or maybe breakfast. El Toro is a one time some trips visit. Rockys is a one time sometimes visit for ribs.

I do hit the Shark Bar every trip for food a few times as it rates high on my list.

My other choice that could NOT be added to the list sadly....

La Bologna - Love this place the #18 pizza is my favorite.

Casita #67 on the beach- Aris place is awesome great grilled Sea Bass with rice one of my favorite lunches.

Chicken stands all over I love a good bbq chicken!
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post

They must be around about 20 years and its still good.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    They must be around about 20 years and its still good.
    Yep food is safe and always tastes about the same (good!). Being good and dependable are great qualities!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yep food is safe and always tastes about the same (good!). Being good and dependable are great qualities!
    The owner is always around as well and that helps.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Some places have ruined it for me with bad experiences and even though it could have been a one time thing my first time was not good enough to get them repeat business.

La Roca almost lost me on their all you can eat bbq as I showed up early and one of their regular customers wasnt there yet. I tried a few things on the grill and asked if it was fresh and of course they said yes. The pork and chicken were dry.

Was kind of funny because the guy who I was meeting there who eats there every week showed up and was introducing me to the owner (think hes from Europe?) and I said man this food is horrible not knowing this was the owner in front of me.

Apparently his good customer gets better service as fresh food came out to the grill immediately when he showed up.

After about 20 minutes we were eating fresh food from the grill which was good but just knowing if I wasnt with a preferred customer I would get served old stuff.

Also the idea of a locals menu you have to either be friendly with staff to get or have to argue to get doesnt sit right with me.

Hey I can understand giving locals who eat there frequently a break but there are more tactful ways of doing it.

Walking up to a friends table to eat with them and sitting across from them and the fact that they are friendly with a waiter they have the same menu as you but with lower prices?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Good stuff, I feel the same way about the first 5 and don't know where #6 alberto is?? Or number 8 must be a thing of the past (what street is it on) or at least the price because now at those chicken stands it isn't 140 for two or even one.
    You're right. I was talking about 2004. I should've made it clearer. The chicken plates were 70 pesos each.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You're right. I was talking about 2004. I should've made it clearer. The chicken plates were 70 pesos each.

Its 2010 now, not 2004!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Laughing Re: Your 5 Best Choices for Eating in Sosua

If you have not tried the pizza at Rocky's recently you should give it a try. I'm addicted to it and could eat 1 every day! There are a few other excellent options for seriously good pizza as well, just for variety. They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too. I've made a few converts in the last few months so it's not just my taste buds talkin'

Speaking of food...it's lunch time...perhaps on the beach, nyone want to join us?
    La Roca , El Toro, Rockys, and The Shark Bar are the only ones on the list and I cant add anymore it says!

I only do La Roca for the all you can eat bbq or maybe breakfast. El Toro is a one time some trips visit. Rockys is a one time sometimes visit for ribs.

I do hit the Shark Bar every trip for food a few times as it rates high on my list.

My other choice that could NOT be added to the list sadly....

Casita #67 on the beach- Aris place is awesome great grilled Sea Bass with rice one of my favorite lunches.

Chicken stands all over I love a good bbq chicken!
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too.

If back home isn't NY, then its not as good as back home. Its as good as Pizza Hut in Osh Kosh Wiscounsin.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    If you have not tried the pizza at Rocky's recently you should give it a try. I'm addicted to it and could eat 1 every day! There are a few other excellent options for seriously good pizza as well, just for variety. They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too. I've made a few converts in the last few months so it's not just my taste buds talkin'

Speaking of food...it's lunch time...perhaps on the beach, nyone want to join us?
    Never tried the pizza to be honest. If I go to Rockys I usually have a craving for ribs. Wish I could hit the beach but im waiting on tonights snowstorm and still at work .

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its 2010 now, not 2004!
    I was telling a story...geesh!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was telling a story...geesh!!

I love stories. Once upon a time there was a cool guy named Frank. He had a whorehouse full of cheap, dirty whores.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its 2010 now, not 2004!
    Oh yeah...news flash! The Palace ain't open no more, and La Passions moved further down the strip.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh yeah...news flash! The Palace ain't open no more, and La Passions moved further down the strip.

And Jimmy is Senor Jimmy de Medellin, and unemployed.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love stories. Once upon a time there was a cool guy named Frank. He had a whorehouse full of cheap, dirty whores.

Look familiar?

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Look familiar?

Click to see pic
    Aida and Jayman.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast