Thread: A question of language - formal or informal?

Thanks

A question of language - formal or informal?

So, this is a bit of an academic point, and I don't want to lose sight of my, um, goals, but I was wondering if any of you Spanish speakers could help me out. *In speaking to chicas (or anyone else, for that matter), is it cusomary to use the informal*"tú" or the formal "usted" form. I leaned Spanish in Spain, and the informal is used pretty universally other than for a well respected older person in a formal setting or when dealing with official matters. I know that latin american spanish is more formal, but I don't know if that extends to chicas or folks you meet on the street.

I don't want to be too formal (and using tu with a chica just seems to make sense) but I also don't want to offend anyone. I love to get into the culture of places I visit, and I try my best to be as informed as possible.

While we're at it, in Spain, "chulo" is a slang way of saying "cool" or "badass". It also means a pimp, but do people say "Que chulo" in the DR?

Thanks all

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goinggetstough For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: A question of language - formal or informal?

Quote Originally Posted by goinggetstough View Post
    ... do people say "Qué chulo" in the DR?
    Absolutely. It is a term of approval. I have often heard it used when admiring other people's babies, for example. Also used in the feminine. When I walked with Renata through her barrio the neighbours would all greet her with "Hola, chula!"

I know that Latin American Spanish is more formal, but I don't know if that extends to chicas or folks you meet on the street.
    In educated LA countries that is true and perhaps with upper-class Dominicans, but anyone we are likely to meet on holiday won't be offended by "tu". They don't have high expectations of gringos' good manners.

Only exceptions might be if introduced to grandparents or if in a dispute with someone, in which case the use of "tu" might be provocative.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

With putas, semiputas or amateurs always use 'tu'.

'Usted', as you said, is a formal 'tu' reserved only for formal situations.

Note that the verbs you use will also change depending on whether you use 'tu' or 'usted'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sounds about right. Although, in my experience, if you are arguing and you switch to Usted after you've been speaking with the tu, its a bit of a cultured Fuck You. That's true for close friends, at least. I once did that to a Spanish woman I was dating and she nearly blew her lid.

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

Only exceptions might be if introduced to grandparents or if in a dispute with someone, in which case the use of "tu" might be provocative.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goinggetstough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

I'd actually say that latin american spanish is a little less formal than the Spanish you learned in Spain, and that which I learned in high school. For example, I learned the vosotros verb tense in high school. But I was told by my dominican spanish teacher that the vosotros verb tense is considered archaic now.

You'd be okay using tu for most purposes, and only using usted when formality calls for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    I'd actually say that latin american spanish is a little less formal than the Spanish you learned in Spain, and that which I learned in high school. For example, I learned the vosotros verb tense in high school. But I was told by my dominican spanish teacher that the vosotros verb tense is considered archaic now.

You'd be okay using tu for most purposes, and only using usted when formality calls for it.
    That's correct, in most LA countries they use 'ustedes' instead of 'vosotros/vosotras' even in informal situations.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

I think I recall one of my Spanish teachers in school said that vosotros was only used regularly in Argentina.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Formal all the way!

So, this is a bit of an academic point, and I don't want to lose sight of my, um, goals, but I was wondering if any of you Spanish speakers could help me out. *In speaking to chicas (or anyone else, for that matter), is it cusomary to use the informal*"tú" or the formal "usted" form. I leaned Spanish in Spain, and the informal is used pretty universally other than for a well respected older person in a formal setting or when dealing with official matters. I know that latin american spanish is more formal, but I don't know if that extends to chicas or folks you meet on the street.

I don't want to be too formal (and using tu with a chica just seems to make sense) but I also don't want to offend anyone. I love to get into the culture of places I visit, and I try my best to be as informed as possible.

While we're at it, in Spain, "chulo" is a slang way of saying "cool" or "badass". It also means a pimp, but do people say "Que chulo" in the DR?

Thanks all
    IMHO, the way you speak is a representation of who you are, not who you're speaking with. Personally I wouldn't lower myself to fit in with an uneducated person. What are they going to do, laugh at me because I speak correctly? But don't need to use big words, that would be a waste of resources.

As for the slangs, it's good to know their meaning but do you really need slangs to communicate in Spanish? Even when, according to the situation you can use "chulo" (remember, in this situation, you're refering to a male) to say for example, cute, why not to say "bonito or lindo"? The most acceptable definition of chulo in Spanish is "pimp". Use it in that context and you won't have any problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maretti For This Useful Post:

Thread Information