Thread: FISHING TRIPS FROM SOSUA

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile FISHING TRIPS FROM SOSUA

Has anyone ever taken a fishing trip from Sosua? I was walking down to Sosua beach and the very "Tourist Type" company was right at the begining and was warned off to stay way from these guys. (By a chica No less)

I am sure there has got to be some guys with boats for hire somewhere. Has anybody ever tried and if so what were your experiences. Feel free to post pics if you need to. This is not to rip off from the "What do You Do when your Not Mongering", thread but with all that ocean just right down the street, it would be nice to set up a fishing trip.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Re: FISHING TRIPS FROM SOSUA

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE21 View Post
    Has anyone ever taken a fishing trip from Sosua? I was walking down to Sosua beach and the very "Tourist Type" company was right at the begining and was warned off to stay way from these guys. (By a chica No less)

I am sure there has got to be some guys with boats for hire somewhere. Has anybody ever tried and if so what were your experiences. Feel free to post pics if you need to. This is not to rip off from the "What do You Do when your Not Mongering", thread but with all that ocean just right down the street, it would be nice to set up a fishing trip.

We did the fishing trip last time we were in Town. It was $250 to charter the boat (up to six people), including drinks. Seas were rough that day (maybe in general, as it is the Atlantic side), and we all got seasick within the first hour.

Caught two nice-sized dorado, though. That said, we'll stick to land-based trips going forward.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

I went with a guy based from where you are talking about, but it was five years ago. I think the ownership has changed so my experiance won't be very helpful. I had a great time, we caught a bunch of fish, mostly Dorado, and we were back in plenty of time to nap and chase chicas.

The guy who had the boat had lived in Boston for a while so even my bud who spoke litle Spanish had no problem. He had a party at his place that night where we and his Domincan friends ate beer batter Dorado all night!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

NJOY tours will give you exactly what your looking for and if you tell them that Bentwire from ISOC told you about them they will give you a special discount,, its truly a nice trip compared to whats available on the beach,,,,,, will run you around 90 bucks and well worth it,, August is the prime time for large Marlin but sail fish and tuna as well as dorado are there just not as huge as prime time
    www.njoytours.com

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE21 View Post

traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Naptime and I have been out with Victor's crew 2 times. The first time, Naptime got a dorada and we also got 3 barricuda. The second time, last August, we got a barricuda and an 8 inch tuna!! Quite a few naps also.
    Victor said something has happened to the tuna run. It's just not the same.

Drop me a PM if you'd like his number.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Now is that considered "Deep Sea" fishing is it or just a couple of clicks off the coast. What is a reasonable price for an excursion like yours? When you said "Victors crew" I am not sure were you talking about the name of your friend or the name of the company that took you out. The website provided won't go past the language and I will go direct on the Google search.

Hell if we do this right they might become an official sponsor to this website. I will hit you up ASAP.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Victor is a guy who own's the boat. He doesn't go out on the charters, he has a couple of brother's who run the charters. There isn't a website. Hell, I don't think Victor own's a computer. I just have his cell number.

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

yeap... victor is a canadian (iirc) and he owns a pawn shop in charmicos.

his boat is always anchored out there at the beach.

the brothers that run the boat are a great crew. very courtious.

i wouldnt call it deep sea fishing. its only a mile or two off the coast. but iirc both times we've gone out, it was half day.

full day you could go out further, not sure if thier boat can though?

when we arent catching fish, its a great opportunity to catch a nap instead..

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Yoooooooo! check out the Naptime man!!! I love this pic!!!!
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by husl2001 View Post
    We did the fishing trip last time we were in Town. It was $250 to charter the boat (up to six people), including drinks. Seas were rough that day (maybe in general, as it is the Atlantic side), and we all got seasick within the first hour.

Caught two nice-sized dorado, though. That said, we'll stick to land-based trips going forward.
    I don't know. My ego makes me want to try it again, as I consider myself a real fisherman and don't like to accept defeat. I'm willing to try it again. But perhaps with a more experienced and skilled captain. Half a day, and two small dorado (yes they were small as the species goes) really doesn't cut it for $250 IMO. Maybe we can find one that knows about bottom or reef fishing. I think we'd have better luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

victot knows his shit...he is from ny..and he goes in the tuna tournment near me and he won a few times and his guys know what there doing.im good friends with him..brian ny

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that would like to go fishing while I'm down range. I am a far east kinda guy and would like to do the same here that I did there. Golf, fish and party like a rock star. Well the golf so far has be really damn expesive at Playa Dorado and I had not seen a boat anywhere.

I am working on a Thai Post but I am catching hell uploading pictures. I am not a tech kinda guy. HELLLPPP!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

$250 for a half day Charter is CHEAP, by any standard. As you probably know up here u well pay more than that per person. We have and DO pay up to $450/person on Canyon Tuna trips, and you can still catch the skunk. Considering the cost of running a boat and fue,bait l etc, its well worth it just to be out there. I would even throw the capt and extra $100 for fuel to make sure we cover enough water on the troll. It would be well worth it.
    From what ive seen there are plenty of Dorado (mahi) all year round and some Bonito , Barracuda, Kingfish etc.There may be sailfish out further, & even the possibly of raising some white marlin from May to summer, but getting them to take is a whole diff ballgame, so dont count on it. I know there are Blue Marlin on the south Coast, as there was a Record 850 off La Romana, but not sure about the North.Thats later in the summer anyway & I would not even set my sights on that .
    But bottom fishing(grouper etc) may be a better option if you want steady action, although not as exciting as trolling. I will check more into this in April and get some specifics. I do quite a bit of fishing up here in the Notheast so they are not gonna take me for a "boatride".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Good point jd426. I guess I hadn't really considered the costs of actually running the boat. Most of the deep-sea fishing I've done has been party boat style, where you're sharing that cost with 10-20 people. I guess $250 isn't that bad after all, considering the price of gas alone in the DR.

Please let us know what you find out about the bottom fishing in the area. I really do think that it's more my speed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thread Information