Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Opinion of Customs & Payoffs

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

My Opinion of Customs & Payoffs

I am from Chicago where nothing gets done without a little grease.

Personally I would just rather pay $10US and walk through like VIP, you do it at a club, restaurant, etc. and besides after some 6+ hours in airports I don't feel like waiting for customs.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: My Opinion of Customs & Payoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    I am from Chicago where nothing gets done without a little grease.

Personally I would just rather pay $10US and walk through like VIP, you do it at a club, restaurant, etc. and besides after some 6+ hours in airports I don't feel like waiting for customs.
    Very good point, but if some of us pay then they will expect all of us to pay?

Thanks
    xxxx

Thanks
    Thats like those who give into whores outrageous prices!!! Now we will have to worry about payouts at customs being normal. JUST SAY I DON'T UNDERSTAND and hold your ground. Damn guys have some balls man!

Travelfox

Thanks
    Thats like those who give into whores outrageous prices!!! Now we will have to worry about payouts at customs being normal. JUST SAY I DON'T UNDERSTAND and hold your ground. Damn guys have some balls man!
    How do you say you don't understand "Give me 10 dollars" said in English. Of course I played dumb when they first asked if I spoke Spanish. Just the fact I walked right through after slipping him $10 I figure it's easier that way.

Thanks
    An airport is not CROBAR.
    Memories...

Thanks
    xxxx

Thanks
    They said it to me in English and I kept repeating "don't understand" and it worked. What are they going to arrest you for enterning the country? Please... They are looking for those like you who are scared and are going to break down. In my opinion the only way to start a trip to the DR is to HOLD YOUR GROUND starting at customs. You start giving in they will start making shit rougher for all of us. HOLD YOUR GROUND. Play stupid even if they are fluent in English, be fluent in DON'T UNDERSTAND. Comprende?

Travelfox

Thanks
    xxxx

Thanks

The hell with that shit...

Tell em to get the fuck out of your face with that shit. You're not there relative, or novio, or western union buddy!!!

Fuck 'm
    MISTER NYC © 2006

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

customs

I have to agree with misternyc,
    What happens is you think they are going to search your bags. Then they make as if they won't search your bags but they want a pay off for this favor of not searching your bags. I just put my bag up on the counter and tell them to search. After about 1 minute they relize you ain't givining them shit and they will just let you go. In Santiago airport they use the same system as when i went to cancun Mexico.You push a button if its green you go ,red your luggage gets checked. But in santiago they don't open it up.THey just run it through a scanner.

Thanks

Customs

If you are carrying contraband, like several cell phones, or expensive looking gifts, you might be better off to pay the bribe. It might be hard to explain to customs that the 10 bottles of perfume you are carrying only cost you a dollar apiece.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They tried to steal my batteries but couldn't find them.

Thanks
    I was shook down by customs at POP on my last trip there. I posted my experience on Jimmy's Yahoo board but I'll do it again here. When I got my bag off the carousel a porter came over to help. I normally don't even check baggage but on this trip I brought a lot of presents for people and I had a few bags. Anyway, he helps me carry my bags and we are headed for the far left of the line of customs stations. All of a sudden a man calls my porter over to the far right, to a particular customs station. When I get there, three customs agents surround me and ask where I'm from and where I'm going. I tell them I'm American and going to Sosua. They then tell me I have to give US$20 to pass and they tell the porter to put my bag on the counter. I try to do some quick calculation in my head - I have lots of lipstick, make-up, batteries, flashlights, and some leatherman type tools in my bags and they are brand new in the original packages. I'm thinking that if they do open my bags that it they will steal some of the things I have brought for my friends down there, or they will charge me more then $20 in some phoney "import tax" scheme. So, I pay the guy $20. He couldn't even look me in the face!!!

As soon as I pay the one guy then the others stand aside and let me pass. Right after that, my porter says he wants US$20 also!!! I get to the parking lot and see my friends who help me with my luggage. I gave the porter 10 pesos, he looks a little surprised but he didn't say anything.

Later on that day, I'm hanging at the Shark Bar and I see the same customs agent. Idon't want to make a scene in front of the Shark Bar so I follow the guy down the beach and see him go into another place. When I get inside he is gone. He either saw me follow him or I just plain lost him.

Anyway, I paid the money because I thought I would get into some trouble, or pay more than US$20, for presents I brought with me. It was a quick decision I had ot make but upon more reflection I don't think I would do it again. And I certainly wouldn't pay anything if I didn't have any presents in my bags.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Tell these clowns to search your bags. They won't because that would be work and many of them are too lazy.

Do not PAY!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Don't pay

Guys trust me nothing will happen to you if you don't pay!! I've gone through Customs at POP about 7 times now & I've never paid a cent. I put my bag up and tell them to search. The last time the guy just felt the outside of the bag. They are way too lazy to search it. After about 2 minutes they will just give up on you and you will be on your way.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Don't pay

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat
    Guys trust me nothing will happen to you if you don't pay!! I've gone through Customs at POP about 7 times now & I've never paid a cent. I put my bag up and tell them to search. The last time the guy just felt the outside of the bag. They are way too lazy to search it. After about 2 minutes they will just give up on you and you will be on your way.
    Its all over soon. There will be a new President in a few days and half these guys will be replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr
    Do not PAY!!!!!
    I certainly won't anymore. I was even thinking of taking a picture of the next customs agent in the DR to try to shake me down. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (I can speculate like everyone else about what might happen but I'm looking for a well-educated guess from someone who miught be more familiar with the way things work down there).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Just keep walking past porters, smile, nod and affirmatively walk out to the taxi. Worked in January when I didn't know this practice had begun.

Thanks

makem look if yer clean

Make them search the bag if they are so interested in it. As long as you are not bringing a carton of perfume or the such into the RD ,which you would have to declare anyway, no hay problema. I have yet to have a problem incoming, although on my second trip outbound, the "drug" guys gave me the two man questioning. How much money? blah blah..ask for Id's and if they talk too fast, be a dummy. They don't want to spend a half hour trying to shake down a stupid tourist for 10 US.

If they ask for your passport , make sure you can see it at all times,and get it back as quickly as possible. NEVER let that go anywhere without you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information