Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingredients for a diseaster (Copied from another topic)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: first solo trip to Sosua in May

Quote Originally Posted by hwyrider37 View Post
    I'm a easy going guy and I never disrespect anyone, nor do I look for or start any kind of trouble ... I've never been, but feel safe going solo, after reading all the post and info. It will be a pleasure and I'm looking forward to meeting other ISOC members. May 21 - 29.
    You are totally justified in feeling safe going solo.

There have been a number of unpleasant incidents, but all these were special circumstances where people put themselves in harm's way, whereas you have clearly got more sense:

--They did drugs
    --They went with known mentally unbalanced crack whores (who were so sweet when they had a chat the previous night )
    --They teamed up with local males (we met this great guy Umberto who took us to the campo/to his barrio/to a deserted beach)
    --They got drunk
    --They flashed jewellery, cameras, watches, or wads of cash, etc.
    --They generally demonstrated an arrogant or racist "ugly American" attitude
    --They went round in gangs, thus drawing attention to themselves and making the locals feel threatened or their machismo challenged
    --They hang round or walk through deserted, dark areas (include me in that one. I was mugged through being stupid like that and was lucky to get off at a cost of 80 pesos. Did I post that the DR is dangerous? No, I just posted that I was an idiot and have learned my lesson).

I cannot remember any incident being reported where a decent, quiet, sober guy just going about his business in the way you have described has suffered.

Then the actual incidents get exaggerated and generalised in the re-reporting, often by people who are not in the DR, some may have never been to the DR. And so many of those people are clearly racist or xenophobe as revealed by reading the lines between their posts.

Do I care if these rumors spread and the gullible are discouraged from coming? No. The fewer dumbass overspending Americans who arrive and hang in gangs the safer we ex-pats will feel and the cheaper will be the pussy.

I should make clear that most Americans visitors and most ISOC members would agree with me and are great company. You will make a lot of friends and have fun. Just avoid the idiots.
    Last edited by weyland; 04-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Ingredients for a diseaster (Copied from another topic)

Avoid these items and everything should go without incident.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

I am sure the hotels, bars, and chicas in Sosua don't want us Americans to stop coming there and spending all the money we do in the DR. We just need to be aware of our surroundings and follow what was said by Weyland and enjoy yourself. I have been there 2 times by myself and as recent as march. I had no problems even though I was hanging in front of Classicos at night talking to chicas. I saw a few haitian females yellng at each other, a lot of 17 year old girls, motoconcho drivers, security in white shirts, but no one gave me any problems, except for the hatian females being aggressive and me having to say no many times

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

i'm headed down tommorrow, for my fifth trip.

and to date i have only had one real issue.

my camera was stolen by a chica.

a camera that i left sitting on a dresser, in front of a chica that i was in the process of throwing out of my room, and while i walked out of the room, she snatched the camera.

my fault for leaving it there.

in addition... had i followed some of the advice here on the board (i didnt know about the board prior to this particular trip) i would never have taken this chica back to my condo in the first place, because she had too many red flags.

but..

i was drunk
    i didnt know to look for the flags
    i made the mistake of leaving the camera in her site
    i made the mistake of leaving her alone in the room during an argument

and, in five trips, thats the only issue i have had
    www.thatsafunnyshirt.com www.toledotees.com

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What were the red flags tht u missed that others may be able to look out for now?

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    i'm headed down tommorrow, for my fifth trip.

and to date i have only had one real issue.

my camera was stolen by a chica.

a camera that i left sitting on a dresser, in front of a chica that i was in the process of throwing out of my room, and while i walked out of the room, she snatched the camera.

my fault for leaving it there.

in addition... had i followed some of the advice here on the board (i didnt know about the board prior to this particular trip) i would never have taken this chica back to my condo in the first place, because she had too many red flags.

but..

i was drunk
    i didnt know to look for the flags
    i made the mistake of leaving the camera in her site
    i made the mistake of leaving her alone in the room during an argument

and, in five trips, thats the only issue i have had

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

she was introduced to me by another chica that was with my friend. so, i didnt scope her out on my own, she didnt scope me, etc... her friend wen and got her and brought her to me.

she was too "over the top hot' i mean, she spent more money on clothes makeup and hair than i did on my plane ticket.

the two chicas insisted that we would have a much better time upstairs at classico's instead of where we were sitting comfortably at the merengue bar. of course, we were expected to pay for thier cover charge.

when me and my boy ordered presidentes for us and the girls, unbeknownst to me, she changed her order to johnny walker black label ... a double...

while sitting upstairs in our booth, which she insisted on, we discussed a price of 2000rd for tln. after we got to my condo the price changed to 3000rd. and she insisted that because i had been drinking, that i must have misheard her. of course, her entire, "i love you, your the greatest man in the world" attitude changed after wewere in my bedroom. then it became the "i am the hottest bitch in the world and i am worth so much more than what you want to pay me, because i am hot and dominican and i am really worth 10,000rd for an hour, so i am doing you a favor by letting you fuck me all night for ONLY 3000rd" attitude.

and then, as all mafioso chicas do... she demands payment FIRST.

then after a five minute blowjob, she starts screaming about how there is no way shes gonna let me fuck her because my dick is too big so im going to have to pay MORE if i want to fuck her.

thats when the argument got really loud, and she started screaming no permision, so i took her purse from her, and took my money back. walked out front to unlcok the door, screaming at her to get out.. while i was in the other room, she got the camera.

all could have been avoided if i would have known to pay attention to any of the flags from the get go. i had several opportunities, but missed them all.

i should also note, that while that was my third trip, it was thefirst without the family. and it was my very first night hanging out in a sosua bar or picking up a sosua chica..

previous trips were spent in a cabana in cofresi, with the cabana manager getting chicas for me from the colmado next door. and while in cabarette for my second trip, i picked up girls there.

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Naptime, glad u got ur money back but the camera issue is a bummer. Nothing more I hate than females that try to change up on the prices.. and of course as soon as I hear pay first in sosua I put her out. I know it will end up trouble.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

This is a must read not only for Newbies but also for the Vets.
    Thanks Weyland.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    ... and of course as soon as I hear "pay first" in Sosúa I put her out. I know it will end up trouble.
    Wise words, and not just in Sosúa. My nearest local club (El Consulado in Puerto Plata) started two cousins from Santo Domingo recently who look a cut about the others (who are mostly dogs or once-pretty chicas past their best years). One cousin was clearly a bitch, the younger one seemed OK so I paid my salida (500 pesos) after which she tried to re-negotiate the price, then the hours, and finally wanted payment up front.

I pulled out and forfeited the salida because, as you say, it is a surefire indicator of a rotten time ahead.

I have got on well in that club in the past and had some good and cheap chicas. Many of them have been happy with whatever I gave them and were happy to repeat another day. Now I suppose I will have to hammer out all the terms and conditions in advance which is a bummer. I hope it doesn't get like Sosúa around here.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Weyland - reading your well thought out post with some very good common sense advice, regarding the mugging incident......was that in one of the areas from your "Weyland walks in Puerta Plata" thread? I'm glad you were ok afterward. If not in PP, where did that happen? It just goes to show that ANYWHERE you go, whether tourist or expat, being aware of your surroundings, preferably semi-sober, is of utmost importance.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

I've traveled to many places solo, and never had a problem. I try to stay away from the hard core chica's, and lucky for me, I can spot them a mile away. I very rarely bring up money, if I have to talk price, she hard core. I dont even have to chat with them to tell. If i see them every day, hard core, a lot of tats and piercings , hard core,. If we can learn to stay away from the hard core chica's our trips will be drama free.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Thanks Weyland.
    Thanks, but it was Jimmy who extracted my post and made it into a new thread. I am not claiming to have said anything very original or wise and wouldn't have given it that prominence myself.

Don't think I disregard the warnings others have given. Some of them, especially when being specific, have been most useful. And, yes, there is more crime as drugs spread and the recession belatedly affects the DR.

But there was a danger of panic when newbies start posting "I am having second thoughts on visiting the DR/Sosúa." That is ridiculous.

In particular I am concerned at the advice to join up in gangs. That seems to me to be exactly what is not required. Far better to keep a low profile so the locals don't feel challenged. After all, it's their country.

My hero is the Sage. I see the guy all over the place in Sosúa. He always has a polite greeting and friendly word and then he is gone. He ghosts in and ghosts out again. I bet he never gets close to getting into trouble yet has a better time than any of us. The epitome of cool. I want to be like him when I reach his age

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am sure the hotels, bars, and chicas in Sosua don't want us Americans to stop coming there and spending all the money we do in the DR.
    Of course you are right. But their agenda is not my agenda. I live here and wouldn't give a fuck if half the hotels and bars shut down. Would just mean more and cheaper chicas for me like things were 15 years ago when Dominican Billy and others here first knew the North Coast and there were few American visitors, just Canadians and Europeans.

No one gave me any problems, except for the haitian females being aggressive and me having to say no many times
    I can honestly say that I am never hassled by haitianas in Sosúa. Any slight irritations I have suffered have always come from aged, heavily made-up Dominican tubs of lard, and even then it is only my pride which is hurt. I think "yeah, I may look like shit and be decomposing before your very eyes, but why on earth would you think I would sink to going with you? You must be confusing me with XXXXX" (Enter the name of a well-known ISOC contributor).

Maybe I am now known among the haitianas there (the Haitian grapevine is legendary and I have many Haitian "friends", to use the word loosely) and they know that I never go with chicas who approach me first, so they don't waste their time with me.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Weyland, regarding the mugging incident - was that in one of the areas from your "Weyland walks in Puerta Plata" thread?
    Yes, about 100 metres from my home in Puerto Plata:
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ghlight=mugged

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Thanks Weyland.
    It is always good to read these type of posts every so often so that we don't become complacent and careless. Thanks Weyland
    Just Doing It

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 668 Posts

Re: Ingredients for a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    But there was a danger of panic when newbies start posting "I am having second thoughts on visiting the DR/Sosúa." That is ridiculous.

In particular I am concerned at the advice to join up in gangs. That seems to me to be exactly what is not required. Far better to keep a low profile so the locals don't feel challenged. After all, it's their country.
    I appreciate what you have said here and I am sure there is more that one of us that have put things a little more into perspective after reading. Thank you.

While reading through the trip reports through the last 2 years or so I dismissed most of the issues reported as one-offs that can happen anywhere or someone getting drunk and acting like moron. I am an early riser, don't drink much (never get drunk), and try to keep a low profile so I was not overly worried.

The reports from the past few days have been from more experienced members and made it seem like the NG was being treated like an embassy with tourists running to the gates to escape the crazed mob. You can understand why some of us who have never been there and are planing on going alone may get a tad nervous even if you don't have any sympathy

For me... Beyond the chicas which are the obvious motivation... I was hoping to explore the place a bit, do some hikes, maybe try those 27 waterfalls jumps, snorkel, practice some Spanish, plant myself on the beach, etc... After reading this thread I still plan on exploring but I won't be popping in the ear-buds and taking a jog around town like I was planning.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Thanks, but it was Jimmy who extracted my post and made it into a new thread. I am not claiming to have said anything very original or wise and wouldn't have given it that prominence myself.

Don't think I disregard the warnings others have given. Some of them, especially when being specific, have been most useful. And, yes, there is more crime as drugs spread and the recession belatedly affects the DR.

My hero is the Sage. I see the guy all over the place in Sosúa. He always has a polite greeting and friendly word and then he is gone. He ghosts in and ghosts out again. I bet he never gets close to getting into trouble yet has a better time than any of us. The epitome of cool. I want to be like him when I reach his age
    How old is this guy??

33. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

I used to marvel at how safe Sosua is, compared to other places, I've been, its Club Med. I could walk past New Garden, after midnight, on my way to Classico's, without feeling I need to have my head on a swivel. I think most Dominicans,know where their bread is buttered. They know they would starve with out tourist, so they basically police themselves. I'm used to Rio , where you had to have your wits at all times,walking to Help before 12, you would see shadows, hiding in corners, I would always walk in the street. I knew 2 guys that got robbed by the kids in Rio. One was robbed in front of Help Disco.They both were lightweights, 110lbs, (one was turned upside down and had is money shaken from his pockets) you werent even safe from the kids in Rio. I think if you mind your business and dont look like a victim, you will be safe in Sosua.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTNT40 View Post
    I used to marvel at how safe Sosua is, compared to other places, I've been, its Club Med. I could walk past New Garden, after midnight, on my way to Classico's, without feeling I need to have my head on a swivel. I think most Dominicans,know where their bread is buttered. They know they would starve with out tourist, so they basically police themselves. I'm used to Rio , where you had to have your wits at all times,walking to Help before 12, you would see shadows, hiding in corners, I would always walk in the street. I knew 2 guys that got robbed by the kids in Rio. One was robbed in front of Help Disco.They both were lightweights, 110lbs, (one was turned upside down and had is money shaken from his pockets) you werent even safe from the kids in Rio. I think if you mind your business and dont look like a victim, you will be safe in Sosua.
    i agree as i hear about how bad it is but i havent experienced anything bad. i get drunk but im not a babbling, slurring, staggering big mouth. and i dont make to much eye contact but i look around a bit. i also always rent a car and park near the disco, either on the block directly in front of merengue (i give the guy there 50 pesos for watching the car, i saw him near the car when i got up to walk upstairs one time, so i walked over and he was washing puke off of the side) sometimes i park over by rubi but i never park far away. i think its a combo of an influx of drugs and the economy that has made it worse. i have seen a few druggies walking around asking for money including a chica that was to old and to ugly to be in the game 5 years ago, shes a total mess now. be smart and you wont have any problems. I see guys all the time that make themselves more noticable than they need to be. you dont need to be a big shot when your paying.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    my dick is too big so im going to have to pay MORE
    I have got the same problem lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information