Thread: Getting Ready

Thanks

Getting Ready

Three more weeks and I will be making my first trip to Blackbeards Resort. This is my second trip to the DR. First trip was to an All Inclusive in Juan Dolio and had a great time. That trip was before I found ISOC and was a little antsy about going. No spanish and have not been mongering for a long, long time (talking 35 years!). I liked the idea of paying once and everything got taken care of . Wanted to try something different this trip.

Anyway for this trip I did my homework and mined this board and others for information. Thanks to all you guys on this board who have shared your experiences with us newbi's.

Was torn between Sosua and BB's as a destination. Finally decided on BB.
    Sosua sounded good but getting a little old to chase Chica's (legs ain't what they used to be and I smoke ).

Based on postings here got my gift packages together, bought extra condoms, another memory chip for the camera, saved dollar bills for tips,and booked my flight out of Miami to POP.

I do want to make a day trip to Sosua. I ran across an outfit called Man Tours. They offer a guided trip to Sosua. They will pick me up at BB and return for $110 (cheaper if more than one person goes). Sounded good but I was wondering if anyone else has used or heard of them. Is it worth it and was it a good experience?

Once again thank you all for the great advice. If any of you will be at BB 20-26 I will buy you a beer. I am the skinny guy with a moustache (Pancho Villa look) and probably wearing a Blackhorse T-Shirt/hat.

Bobe531

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobe531 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Re: Getting Ready

Just got back from BB's it was my first time and I had a ball will post up a trip report soon. BB's has a Sousa day or night trip 5 hours for $70 round trip. Ask Jose or who ever is working the front desk.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

bobe531
    The guy who runs man tours is Ed,good guy speaks spanish and knows his way around.I used him in January,for something different.I was at BB's and someone else was going so I jumped in to split the cost.It is kinda pricey but he is American and can show you around,if you want to know would I do it again,yea,next time I will get him to take me through POP.Oh and if he meets a chica he likes he will disappear with her for awhile,but he will come back for you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 01softail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 501 Posts

good luck and have fun..you will.
    if you hit Sosua at night..YOU will want to return visit. so many bars, so many chicas, so little time lol. I personally like to bar hop and check out each bar and the chicas working ebhind the bar. each bar has a different vibe, different chicas, but the same ice old Presidente beers! mmmmmm Dollars for tips is good. But must DR people prefer pesos, some girls have no idea hwat the exchange rate is if u have pesos.

Change your cash into Pesos daily. I do it day to day as needed for each night. easier to keep track of how much US dollars u spent so far on your trip with your budget etc.

for example, last rip, I had over 150 US dollars allotted for that night..So I new I would def. be returning with cash in pocket, as I didn't plan on going chica crazy that night, BUT in case the urge struck me, I had the money for it Just In Case.

Always good to have that "Just In Case" money on ya.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevereds For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobe531 View Post
    Sosua sounded good but getting a little old to chase Chica's.
    Don't worry, you wouldn't have to do any chasing. They will find you (dozens and dozens of them, all shapes, sizes, ages and colors). You might have to chase some off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobe531 View Post
    I do want to make a day trip to Sosua. I ran across an outfit called Man Tours. They offer a guided trip to Sosua. They will pick me up at BB and return for $110 (cheaper if more than one person goes). Sounded good but I was wondering if anyone else has used or heard of them. Is it worth it and was it a good experience?
    I have met Ed(win?) and he seemed a straightforward, honest guy. He has not been doing this long but in the few reviews I have read guys were satisfied with his service. If you have US$110 spare, go for it.

If not, you can get yourself to Sosúa and back for 180 pesos (US$5) using public transport.

However you will probably need to get yourself to, or near, the main gate to find a motoconcho to take you to the carretera. A short walk for most people but a long walk if you have dodgy legs. Again, everything in Sosúa is within walking distance, but maybe not for you, which would entail further expenditure on motoconchos at 25 pesos (US$0.70) per ride.

Once in Sosúa you don't need a guide. You will meet ISOC members at the usual venues (Shark Bar, Passions, New Garden, Merengue Bar) who know as much as, or more than, Ed.

But if it is really difficult for you to get about under your own steam then use the Man-Tour. It is not a rip-off. And if you can split with a couple of other guys it would work out real cheap.

The BB tour sounds better value at $70 but maybe they just take you there and back and don't show you round the full time? Anyone know?

I note you state "day trip". Be aware that there is not too much going on in Sosúa sex-wise until 9.00pm. Only interesting locations I can think of (Sosúa veterans please help me out here) are Passions (everyone should visit there at least once) and the Beach and, if you have a problem walking, the latter might not be for you. Passions chicas and environment are great but I personally wouldn't want to spend an additional US$110 on top of their already high(ish) prices to experience them. Maybe better to put that money towards spending part or all of your next vacation in Sosúa.

If you are not too mobile, Blackbeards is ideal and you cannot fail to have a great time there. If you want a change of scenery next trip, consider Field Of Dreams, easier and cheaper to get to and from Sosúa.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Don't worry, you wouldn't have to do any chasing. They will find you (dozens and dozens of them, all shapes, sizes, ages and colors). You might have to chase some off, though.

I have met Ed(win?) and he seemed a straightforward, honest guy. He has not been doing this long but in the few reviews I have read guys were satisfied with his service. If you have US$110 spare, go for it.

If not, you can get yourself to Sosúa and back for 180 pesos (US$5) using public transport.

However you will probably need to get yourself to, or near, the main gate to find a motoconcho to take you to the carretera. A short walk for most people but a long walk if you have dodgy legs. Again, everything in Sosúa is within walking distance, but maybe not for you, which would entail further expenditure on motoconchos at 25 pesos (US$0.70) per ride.

Once in Sosúa you don't need a guide. You will meet ISOC members at the usual venues (Shark Bar, Passions, New Garden, Merengue Bar) who know as much as, or more than, Ed.

But if it is really difficult for you to get about under your own steam then use the Man-Tour. It is not a rip-off. And if you can split with a couple of other guys it would work out real cheap.

The BB tour sounds better value at $70 but maybe they just take you there and back and don't show you round the full time? Anyone know?

I note you state "day trip". Be aware that there is not too much going on in Sosúa sex-wise until 9.00pm. Only interesting locations I can think of (Sosúa veterans please help me out here) are Passions (everyone should visit there at least once) and the Beach and, if you have a problem walking, the latter might not be for you. Passions chicas and environment are great but I personally wouldn't want to spend an additional US$110 on top of their already high(ish) prices to experience them. Maybe better to put that money towards spending part or all of your next vacation in Sosúa.

If you are not too mobile, Blackbeards is ideal and you cannot fail to have a great time there. If you want a change of scenery next trip, consider Field Of Dreams, easier and cheaper to get to and from Sosúa.

Good info

Thanks

I am very mobile given the right incentives such as the chica I was with on my visit to an All Inclusive back in March.

Also I am kind of lazy and prefer to lay back and enjoy life.

And once you reach a certain age in life you want to save your energy for the important pursuits in life, like chasing down Chicas.

Hope I will run into some ISOC members when I get to Sosua.

Bobe531

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bobe531 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information