Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Tips on the North Coast.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 279 Posts

vBulletin Info Driving Tips on the North Coast.

After living here since 1992 and driving both a motorcycle for the first 5 years and a van since 1997 I have developed a sixth sense as to how the Dominicans drive. I'm sure some of the other long term residents can add to these observations.

The only laws, which seem to be enforced on the north coast, are: You must wear your seat-belt and don’t get caught talking on you cell phone. AMET will ticket you.
    If you do, you have to pay a fine of 1,500 Peso. There was a great seat-belt-campaign in 2002, which succeeded in 90% of the Dominicans now wear seat-belts.
    Their cars and trucks may not have a windshield or lights but they are wearing their seat-belts. ps: Only the driver is required to wear it.

The right of way is given to the vehicle which is on the bigger street. Also "might" is right and always has the right of way. Also look both ways on one-way streets.

Green light indicates, that you can go, still be cautious, it's possible, other cars could - will cross on the red.
    Red light shows you down: Please stop and check the traffic. If you cannot see anybody, you can drive on. AMET checks the light at the Playero supermarket for running the red there.

You can pass a car on the right or left side. It doesn't matter. They all drive like “grande prix” race drivers and take apex of the corner. Eg: on a left hand curve they will drive into the oncoming lane because it cuts down the corner and they can maintain their speed.

Lines on the road, center line, traffic lanes and cross walks are for the tourists to follow, none of the Dominicans pay any attention to them.

Driving with alcohol or other drugs isn't allowed, but there is no real control.

If you are involved in an accident and somebody is injured, "you are in trouble" and a blood check in hospital may be required with lots of bribes to stay out of jail. Usually everyone else makes out better than the injured party.

Speed limits do exist, but there is no real control. Over in Santo Domingo they even have speed traps but not here on the north coast. But you shouldn’t drive more than 120 kilometer on highways and 80 kilometer on other roads. Usually the roads are so bad that you can't safely drive that fast anyway. Inside villages reduce to 40 kilometer, because children play on the streets.

Don't change direction too quickly. This can’t be stressed too much! So, if you want to change direction, please show it very clearly and do so slowly.

If a Dominican lowers his speed, they show it to you by waving a hand out of a window you know they are about to do something stupid. The more they wave then expect the worst.

This is very important!!! If you want to make a left turn, it's possible that other cars or motorcycles will still pass on the left hand side, even if the right lane is open and they can’t see if anything is coming from the other direction.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: Driving Tips on the North Coast.

Special care when driving at night as many, many motos have no lights, some cars have no lights, animals stray in the road (one of our neighbours was killed last week running into a cow), and pedestrians in the road are often hard to see because of their dark complexions.

Whether day or night, pedestrians will walk along, or step into, the road assuming we can clearly see them. Drivers will know this is not the case and it is worse at night or in the rain.

Generally Dominicans have no awareness of other people, whether it is on the road, walking along the sidewalk, or in supermarkets with their carts. They have no judgment of speed or distance and vehicles are poorly maintained, lacking brakes, lights, some gears, and with loose parts. The roads have horrendous potholes, manhole covers are collectors' items here, lighting is poor or non-existent, signage is poor, non-existent, or downright misleading causing drivers to crawl along looking for places or make sudden U-turns.

Life is cheap here, tempers are short, and there are a lot of guns and knives about.

Enjoy your drive!

4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Also, a small add on to Billy's post be aware that almost everyone uses their high beams at night, regardless of oncoming traffic. A lot of vehicles have upgraded headlights, (we call them Euro Lights where I am from in the U.S.) because there are very few street lights when you leave the center of most pueblos. They are SUPER intense and will blind you even from a far distance.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 Times in 477 Posts

Thanks for all who contributed. I just finished a trip where I drove in the DR for the first time. I knew going in it was my responsibility to be very defensive while driving but that gem about the hand waving would have been good to know.

I was driving near Hotel Colibri and a guy stopped short waving like mad. not knowing I started to pass. 2 moto guys were fighting in the middle of the road and I almost creamed them.

I realized it at the last minute but the ENTIRE street yelled when I tried to pass. I was stunned becasue the driver waving just stopped to watch as there was no one blocking him. I nearly passsed a diamond after that but figured the next waving hand would be heeded LOL
    Last edited by Trib; 05-03-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: I felt like it
    It aint over till I am done!!!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trib For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Also, a small add on to Billy's post be aware that almost everyone uses their high beams at night, regardless of oncoming traffic. A lot of vehicles have upgraded headlights, (we call them Euro Lights where I am from in the U.S.) because there are very few street lights when you leave the center of most pueblos. They are SUPER intense and will blind you even from a far distance.
    good to point out. and they seem to turn on their high beams as they are approaching the opposite traffic. Normal folks usually turn their high beams off, but down there, they seem to turn them on blinding you.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Also take caution especially from the passenger side as many man hole covers are missing on side walks, especially in POP. Had a buddy 2 weeks ago break his leg stepping into one out of my car, but he avoided having to swim out of there only if we could have found him!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Also unlike in other countries, the cops just ride all day and night with thier lights flashing for no reason at all. You need not pull over as they are just reminding the public that there are cops on the streets doing something! If they want you, they'll sound thier horn and ride up to your side and show you the finger to pull over...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

The best rule of thumb to drive by is "expect the unexpected".

I usually drive every day when I am on my month long trips to the DR and I find I become a better driver than I am in Canada. You have to be constantly aware of what is happening around you.

The one thing that I can never get used to is the motos with no tailights at night. I usually give long blast on my horn as I pass them, probably will not make them run home and fix their lights but it makes me feel better!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Nice tips Billy you must finally decided to post more maybe Jimmy can keep people from pestering you.
    One thing though make sure you explain they are going to jail even if have credit card full coverage they have to have cash to buy them out also explain even best insurance you guys chatted about name keeps you out jail but your locked up in a house for maybe what 6 months? and you kill some crazy on motorcyle what rest of your life? Only way avoid all those is not rent a car unless you want new boyfriend hoodlem.
    I am in love with Jimmydr. I want him to be mine forever!

Thanks

I was thinking about this on way home from Airport. Motorcycles in the DR are similar to white tailed deer in Michigan you never know when where one is going to pop up.

I am done renting cars in the DR a gringo could easily kill one of crazies on moto.Then bye bye!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

I think renting a moto or car is financial suicide in the DR........nothing but nightmares if there is a problem.....

Thanks

I don't recommend you rent a car period in the DR under any circumstances unless you want to be in Jail or locked up house getting held hostage till you make reporations to victim.

Imagine if this happened you get caught with a girl with fake ID? You are screwed.
    Last edited by Jimmydr; 05-04-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8orBetter View Post

Imagine if this happened you get caught underage with girl and fake ID? You are screwed.
    that's a very good point.......plus if she got the least bit hurt in the accident......even like a backache........
    you get screwed even more.......what a nightmare

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Imagine if this happened you get caught underage with girl and fake ID? You are screwed.
    ISOC members do not go with underage girls. End of story!

While I fully sympathise with your newfound horror of rentals (recent converts are always the most zealous - I look forward to your quitting drinking next!) you are confusing the issue here. You might as well say "Imagine if this happened when you have a dead body or US$1,000,00 in bills or an unlicensed Kalashnikov and a copy of the Koran autographed by Osama bin Laden in the trunk".

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    ISOC members do not go with underage girls. End of story!

While I fully sympathise with your newfound horror of rentals (recent converts are always the most zealous - I look forward to your quitting drinking next!) you are confusing the issue here. You might as well say "Imagine if this happened when you have a dead body or US$1,000,00 in bills or an unlicensed Kalashnikov and a copy of the Koran autographed by Osama bin Laden in the trunk".
    Finally! The voice of reason. While I too sympathize with the OP, you could spend all day inventing horrific scenarios, most of which, only the most idiotic individuals would actually be caught up in. Or you can think of viable plans for extigent circumstances, and ways to minimize your risk. Sort of like the advice the more experienced members have been offering.

I will continue to rent vehicles in the DR as I've done for years. It's way more convenient at times than public transpo for me. And it ehances my experiences greatly. My wingmen and I have made local contacts that we can call upon for assistance. And we feel confident in being able to handle most situations.

The day I feel that I can't drive in the DR will be my last day visiting. But that's just me. To each his own.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Finally! The voice of reason. While I too sympathize with the OP, you could spend all day inventing horrific scenarios, most of which, only the most idiotic individuals would actually be caught up in. Or you can think of viable plans for extigent circumstances, and ways to minimize your risk. Sort of like the advice the more experienced members have been offering.

I will continue to rent vehicles in the DR as I've done for years. It's way more convenient at times than public transpo for me. And it ehances my experiences greatly. My wingmen and I have made local contacts that we can call upon for assistance. And we feel confident in being able to handle most situations.

The day I feel that I can't drive in the DR will be my last day visiting. But that's just me. To each his own.
    I said same thing a week ago ; go look for my posts, if didn't have a car I wouldn't go.I have every toy you can think of vehicle wise minus airplane and helicopter and drive oh 50000 miles a year or so in these vehicles . Not like I am someone who never drives .Have class A commercial license and drive those vehicles also have 0 ploints on my record.

But it has been 8 weeks since last time I drove there and quite frankly my driving skills did not adjust to new vehicle and I forgot about the crazy driving my skills did not adjust yet only there for 20 hours or so .
    Repetition is mother of all skill after week driving down there after flying in a person gets acustomed to it.
    Last edited by Mr Hillbilly; 05-04-2010 at 11:47 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    I will continue to rent vehicles in the DR as I've done for years.
    you crazy mon!

Thanks

When you guys go to jail after renting a car don't call me if I am there for a loan but please call me so I can get a picture of your face while the hoodlems are raping you.
    Unlike Weyland I will get a picture of them and their cell probably next week and it will be my Avatar foto.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unlike Weyland I will get a picture of them and their cell probably next week and it will be my Avatar foto.
    Damn, when did I become your staff photographer? I hope it pays better than being Jimmy's butler!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

When you guys go to jail after renting a car don't call me if I am there for a loan but please call me so I can get a picture of your face while the hoodlems are raping you.
    I promise that I won't call you. I have a number of local contacts saved to my phone that would serve me much better. And why would you want pictures of me being raped in prison? Never mind. I really don't want to know.

Sorry, but I can't oblige you on this one. Because anal invasion isn't part of the plan. And I doubt that would change even if I somehow suffered from extreme brain damage and became stupid enough to drive drunk in a third world country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information