Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Tips on the North Coast.

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Re: Driving Tips on the North Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Damn, when did I become your staff photographer? I hope it pays better than being Jimmy's butler!
    It looks like you spent more time as Jimmy's butler.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    you crazy mon!
    Lol! Well I guess I've been crazy for about 8 yrs now. But during that time, I've seen parts of the country very few tourists see. I've banged fresh young chicas that very few tourist mongers ever see. And I've been able cram a ton of great experiences into my vacations by not limiting them to 6 blocks and a beach. And I've done that on my time schedule.

Gotta tell ya, crazy's been real good to me.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Hate to break news to you but had nothing to drink .
    I am in love with Jimmydr. I want him to be mine forever!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8orBetter View Post
    When you guys go to jail after renting a car don't call me if I am there for a loan but please call me so I can get a picture of your face while the hoodlems are raping you.
    Unlike Weyland I will get a picture of them and their cell probably next week and it will be my Avatar foto.
    Which one is going to Wear the Cape, the Anchor Guy ?

Thanks

You guys think I am kidding at night 10 of them are husband and wife a spooning a few with each others arms it varied . I decided I was going to be husband if came down to it.
    I am not afraid to tell the DARK shit.I don't get embarrassed .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Let's try to keep to the original topic of this thread since it is a sticky and most newbies will come across it.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

Thanks

I have said it before, and I will say it again: nothing magical about driving in the DR!!!! It's all common sense, keep it moving, and think ahead...

Worst drivers are in the US: one thumb up their ass, and cell phone in the other hand. They cut you off at 60 mph+ just to belatedly make their exit, rather than do a "go-around".

In Germany, coming from a town w/ a heavy US military presence, we had a saying: "If traffic slows down, it is either a 70-year old driving wearing a hat. Or an American."

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    I have said it before, and I will say it again: nothing magical about driving in the DR!!!! It's all common sense, keep it moving, and think ahead...

Worst drivers are in the US: one thumb up their ass, and cell phone in the other hand. They cut you off at 60 mph+ just to belatedly make their exit, rather than do a "go-around".

In Germany, coming from a town w/ a heavy US military presence, we had a saying: "If traffic slows down, it is either a 70-year old driving wearing a hat. Or an American."
    Ohhhh, now i get it!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Ohhhh, now i get it!!!
    Hes got a point though. Only an American would fly all the way to Germany, Rent a Car, get on the Autobahn, and STILL NOT know what the high beams mean in the left lane.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Special care when driving at night as many, many motos have no lights, some cars have no lights, animals stray in the road (one of our neighbours was killed last week running into a cow), and pedestrians in the road are often hard to see because of their dark complexions.

Whether day or night, pedestrians will walk along, or step into, the road assuming we can clearly see them. Drivers will know this is not the case and it is worse at night or in the rain.

Generally Dominicans have no awareness of other people, whether it is on the road, walking along the sidewalk, or in supermarkets with their carts. They have no judgment of speed or distance and vehicles are poorly maintained, lacking brakes, lights, some gears, and with loose parts. The roads have horrendous potholes, manhole covers are collectors' items here, lighting is poor or non-existent, signage is poor, non-existent, or downright misleading causing drivers to crawl along looking for places or make sudden U-turns.

Life is cheap here, tempers are short, and there are a lot of guns and knives about.

Enjoy your drive!
    Read this part again. It pretty much explains everything.

While we are taught from the beginning to be aware of other drivers and what they are doing, drive defensively and show a little courtesy, the overwhelming majority of Dominican drivers do not have that mindset.

Most drivers in beat up cars and on bikes do NOT have a license, do NOT know how to drive, don't have insurance, don't own the vehicle, and a very large portion of them are illiterate.

As Weyland and Billy pointed out, they are blissfully unaware of any situation that could cause them harm or injury. The only thing they concentrate on is where their vehicle is headed.

Their mindset is that if they occupy a space first, no problem. When they pull out in front of you when you are approaching at a high rate of speed, that's YOUR problem, not theirs. They got there first, so it's their space, not yours.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One of the things that kills me about dominican drivers is that they don't give a fuck about staying in their own lanes. It's like those dividing lines painted on the road don't mean shit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    One of the things that kills me about dominican drivers is that they don't give a fuck about staying in their own lanes. It's like those dividing lines painted on the road don't mean shit.
    Read my last post. Of course they don't mean shit. Very few drivers in this country have the slightest idea of rules of the road and driving conduct.

If you're illiterate and don't have a license, how would you know what the rules are, if there's no one to teach you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Read my last post. Of course they don't mean shit. Very few drivers in this country have the slightest idea of rules of the road and driving conduct.

If you're illiterate and don't have a license, how would you know what the rules are, if there's no one to teach you?
    Okay, I just read that post. And it explains a lot of the madness I've seen while driving there. But once you've resigned yourself to the fact that no one else is following any traffic rules, it's a lot easier to drive defensively. I don't believe that accidents are inevitable. In my experience, most can be avoided by driving defensively. And if some motoconchista is reckless enough to run into my car through no fault of my own? Oh well. Good luck with that. I hope he's okay. But under most circumstances, I aint stickin around just so I can have the privilege of paying for his recklessness.

Motoconchos are a plague on the north coast. And not just for tourist drivers. They injure, maim, and kill locals and each other with appalling regularity. Just this last trip in Feb., I saw the aftermath of one of the worst accidents I've ever seen while driving from Santiago to Sosua. Two motoconchos almost hit each other in front of a van full of people right in front of the Shell gas station right before you get to Puerto Plata. And the van hit a pole trying to avoid them. Everyone was driving slow trying to see the accident and a crowd had gathered. The two motoconchistas were standing in the street arguing and were totally unscathed. However, the driver of the van, as well as a few of the passengers, were unconscious and bleeding profusely. It was a horrible scene. One which stuck with me two entire trip.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You guys don't understand the concept of how the Dominicans get their licenses they either got to school for 6 months or pay I forget the amount 20 thousand pesos for a bribe in front of Drivers license office so they don't have any driving rules or training.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Which one is going to Wear the Cape, the Anchor Guy ?
    That cape would have made nice bed and blanket seeing there was none only rough concrete and stone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You guys don't understand the concept of how the Dominicans get their licenses they either got to school for 6 months or pay I forget the amount 20 thousand pesos for a bribe in front of Drivers license office so they don't have any driving rules or training.
    Seriously?!?!

Well hell, I probably wouldn't have a driver's license either. I swear, I feel like La Republica Dominicana is its own worst enemy. I'm willing to bet that less than 20% of its citizens can readily dish out that kind of cash.

Thanks

Germany makes some of the finest, most sought-after, mass-produced car brands in the world. Arguably, it also makes some of the finest drivers. Getting a driver's license in Germany does not compare to getting one in the DR or US...

Keep rolling your eyes until they fall out of their sockets...

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Ohhhh, now i get it!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Seriously?!?!

Well hell, I probably wouldn't have a driver's license either. I swear, I feel like La Republica Dominicana is its own worst enemy. I'm willing to bet that less than 20% of its citizens can readily dish out that kind of cash.
    Bad info given out there. The cost of a driving licence is around RD$1,300. You can pay a bit more for VIP service (means you go to the front of the line)

You don't need 6 months of tuition either, but there is a multiple choice exam done on a computer, blood test, eye test and an actual driving test. Some of these can be overlooked with the exception of the blood test.

Check out the requirements and current costs here:
    http://seopc.gov.do/servicios/licencia_de_conducir.html
    Last edited by WickedWillie; 05-05-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added link

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Where did you get that info from?

Dominicans take a test, yes and no questions on a pc. Then wait 45 days and take a road test. 20K pesos for a bribe,,,,,,,,,,no way do they pay that kind of money

These are the fees as of last year:

Driver’s License: RD$455
    Exam: RD$200
    Medical Exam RD$40
    Classification Fee: RD$75
    Taxes: RD$20
    Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
    Total: RD$855

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRboundagain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    Germany makes some of the finest, most sought-after, mass-produced car brands in the world. Arguably, it also makes some of the finest drivers. Getting a driver's license in Germany does not compare to getting one in the DR or US...

Keep rolling your eyes until they fall out of their sockets...
    OK p!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information