Thread: Need Phone Help

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Need Phone Help

I may learn quick, but I am still a newbie with only one trip under my belt.

I have a Claro pay as you go phone that I bought new on April 7th in POP at the Claro distributor. It came with a 100RD card, and I loaded on another 500RD card. I have lots of min left over. I am going back down May 21. How can I keep my phone active? I want to keep my number, and keep the min I have on there. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

Re: Need Phone Help

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post

I have a Claro pay as you go phone that I bought new on April 7th in POP at the Claro distributor. It came with a 100RD card, and I loaded on another 500RD card. I have lots of min left over. I am going back down May 21. How can I keep my phone active? I want to keep my number, and keep the min I have on there. Thanks.
    I think you have 90 days (or 6 months?) to use it or you lose it.
    as long as there's activity within the time range its OK. U got at least 90 days.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I think you have 90 days (or 6 months?) to use it or you lose it.
    as long as there's activity within the time range its OK. U got at least 90 days.
    i believe they say 6 months but it is really 90 days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Phone will always be active, once you reload; of course you current minutes will expire within the timeframe stated.

Last time, I had my favorita e-mail me a recharge code so I could hit the ground running after touch-down. (Talk about reverse WU.) Now, I just buy a handful of cards before leaving and be good the minute I return...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papi_sosua For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    Phone will always be active, once you reload; of course you current minutes will expire within the timeframe stated.

Last time, I had my favorita e-mail me a recharge code so I could hit the ground running after touch-down. (Talk about reverse WU.) Now, I just buy a handful of cards before leaving and be good the minute I return...
    Unless there's something new, I don't know about that. I believe the sim card is useless after the expiration period, so they can reuse the phone#?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I believe there's some online sites where you can throw $10 worth of minutes on your SIM if you're away for too long. That will keep it active. Might be best to use Paypal - rather than your credit card directly.

Someone know those sites ??

I googled http://www.callingmart.com Seems to do the trick - but I am not endorsing the site - as I have not tried them.

I'm not sure there's anything you can do about the minutes rolling off at a certain point. (Except visit again !!)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ_Hobby For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's the difference between Claro and Orange:

Never had problems re-activating my Claro phone even after a five-month hiatus. In contrast, once Orange minutes hit their expiry date, the SIM also gets deactivated and you loose your #. (Orange information is second hand.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Unless there's something new, I don't know about that. I believe the sim card is useless after the expiration period, so they can reuse the phone#?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papi_sosua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

I have Claro, so I can only talk about that, although Orange is cheaper. It works like this; you have different expiration dated for different services, minuets have the shortest expiration, then SMS, and text. I have 20 or so texts I can send now and they will not expire for another 4 months.

When I go to work in Haiti I generally purchase a 100RD card, so when I return the following month I recharge my minuets even though I have a surplus of SMS and text that have not expired.

Also the life of your minuets is dependent on the the amount you recharge, 250RD to 500RD has a life of 60 days, but 50RD only 7.

The Claro policy is that you may receive calls for 60 days after you minuets have expired, after this 60 days you have an additional 120 days in which you must recharge your phone. After this time period you number will be recycled........So if you recharge your phone with 250 RD the day that you leave then that averages about to 6 months before your number will be recycled into the pool of available numbers.

BUT as always this is the DR and you may actually get less time.......... or more time......quien sabe.

If you want to recharge your phone from home in addition to www.callingmart.com you can also use;

https://prepagoenlinea.claro.com.do/autogestionprepago/LoginPage;jsessionid=WzhXLh1dMLBryxgPBlGTW2mr1wFyZvNKrpBj6RmM39HgJPqs4Jq6!278326180

Or if you have a REAL GF, or family there then you can have them use the links below to recharge your phone for you.

http://www.minutetransfer.com/

https://www.etopuponline.com/
    Last edited by Corrado; 05-05-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: clarity
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    I have Claro, so I can only talk about that, although Orange is cheaper.

Or if you have a REAL GF, or family there then you can have them use the links below to recharge your phone for you.

http://www.minutetransfer.com/

https://www.etopuponline.com/

You can use both these sites from the US and Canada also. I have used both. And when I arrive, the recharge is ready to go.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Nakom , As per email. I will recharge yours when I take care of mine. See you soon.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thread Information