Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CASA DEL CONDUCTOR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

CASA DEL CONDUCTOR

Anyone actually rent a car in the DR and have this added?

Tried few different rent a car web sites but nothing.

I know what you guys are thinking? Not learn his lesson?

Probably not. Got Billys attorney number ,Billys number ,Albertos as a Bondsman why should I be scared? lol

Only one hitch this insurance never heard anyone getting it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: CASA DEL CONDUCTOR

Quote Originally Posted by 8orBetter View Post
    Anyone actually rent a car in the DR and have this added?

Tried few different rent a car web sites but nothing.

I know what you guys are thinking? Not learn his lesson?

Probably not. Got Billys attorney number ,Billys number ,Albertos as a Bondsman why should I be scared? lol

Only one hitch this insurance never heard anyone getting it.
    I think you have learned a good lesson, make sure you get the best insurance available and stay away from shaky rental agencies.

I have never seen casa del conductor coverage available as an option on any rental agreement. You might want to email customer service at Alamo, Budget, Avis, or Hertz and see if this coverage is included with their auto insurance.

I have contacted Alamo/National in the US for information in the past and they in turn contacted Alamo/National in the DR and got back in touch with me. It would be wise to get something in writing.

Once you rent in the DR and get a taste of freedom by having a vehicle it is tough to give it up. I am all for driving in the DR. Only time I speak against it is for newbies.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRboundagain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just don't peticular want to die of heatstroke with naked hoodlums; rather get ate by shark or something along that line.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

More naked hoodlum talk?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

For my trip I contacted my insurance company and they gave an umbrella rider on my HOUSE insurance for rental cars outside North America. It was $1,000,000 liability and $1,000,000 3rd party with no deductable. This was $14 for a month. You get 2 mil in coverage and the peace of mind it is with your own insurance company.

I rented my first time down there, and I will be renting for my 2nd trip leaving next week. I used Alamo. I did not have any 'extra' charges on my credit card and no problems.

One peice of advice. If you ever get into a similar situation down there again tell the police to contact the US consulate (or embassy) in the DR right away. They are bound by law to do so if you ask, but they will not contact them if you do not ask. Better yet, have the numbers programmed into your cell phone and phone them first, before you even get out of your car. If the US (or Canadian) consulate is involved, the only time you will spend in jail is until they get down to the police station. Also, they will get you an english speaking (non corrupt) lawyer. I did a lot of research on this before my first trip including calling the Canadian embassy in the DR.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Alamo

There is another guy on another board researching Alamo as we speak.
    won't rent unless my ass is covered.

Well I did some research. Here is what I found out about Dominican law in summary:

First Phase - Arrest and Detention: According to the Dominican Constitution, a person detained or arrested by the police authorities may be held without charges for up to 48 hours. During this 48-hour period, an assistant district attorney (prosecutor) and the police conduct an initial investigation of the case. Assistant district attorneys are present at most police stations and have the responsibility to lead the investigation.

{this is when they have the opportunity to shake down and try to extort money before official paper work is ever submitted. This is when all the scare tactics occur because if you pay up before the 48 hours they can release you. And no one even there bosses will ever know the police and everyone involved ever did anything illegal to you. This is the reason they don't give you any documentation because they would loss there job and possible jail sentence. The government does not tolerate this because they don't want to loss tourist dollars but the reality is that it is a small country and bad things are done at the local level. But, if discovered it is dealt with. That is why it is important if you get in a situation to not be scared, understand your rights under DR laws, and have people working on your side for your release.}

Right to an Attorney: A detainee is typically questioned as part of the investigation by the authorities. According to Dominican law, a detainee is entitled to have an attorney present during any questioning, as well as at any of the hearings or trials. If the detainee cannot afford to have an attorney, the government will provide a public defender upon request. A detainee also has the right to remain silent.

Habeas Corpus: According to the Constitution of the Dominican Republic, any prisoner detained for more than 48 hours without being formally charged is entitled to request a hearing of habeas corpus. Habeas corpus is a physical release of an arrestee from prison while awaiting trial. The presiding judge at the hearing is empowered to order the prisoner's release if he has been detained for more than 48 hours without being formally charged or there is insufficient proof of a crime to warrant further detention. The judge's decision to release is subject to appeal by the district attorney. A defendant released on habeas corpus is required to remain in the country until the charges are finally resolved.

{My take if you can last 48 hours and actively ensure they understand you know your rights and you have people actively working for you outside, they will have to let you go unless you really did do something.}

You can go to the US Embassy website santo dominigo under citizen services - Emergency Services for more information. I did not want to provide a link because then their internet reports will show all the referrals are coming from this website

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Just don't peticular want to die of heatstroke with naked hoodlums; rather get ate by shark or something along that line.
    I actually had a dream about that jail hole scene you described. I have never even hesitated once renting a car in any foreign country but your report made me think.

I did some research on the driving safety in Panama and then used the same Gov't site to compare the DR. Here is a link

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...traffic_safety

What I recall from reading this during some drinking last night was that they stated that you will be arrested for a DWI or a serious accident just like 8 said.

Here is the paragraph it is in.

Dominican law requires that a driver be taken into custody for driving under the influence or being involved in an accident that causes serious injury or death, even if the driver is insured and appears not to have been at fault. The minimum detention period is 48 hours; however, detentions frequently last until a judicial decision is reached (often weeks or months), or until a waiver is signed by the injured party (usually as the result of a cash settlement).

I think this thread about getting STUCK should STICKY around.

We all need to be updated about safety issues as often as possible.
    Just Doing It

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    For my trip I contacted my insurance company and they gave an umbrella rider on my HOUSE insurance for rental cars outside North America. It was $1,000,000 liability and $1,000,000 3rd party with no deductable. This was $14 for a month. You get 2 mil in coverage and the peace of mind it is with your own insurance company.

I rented my first time down there, and I will be renting for my 2nd trip leaving next week. I used Alamo. I did not have any 'extra' charges on my credit card and no problems.

One peice of advice. If you ever get into a similar situation down there again tell the police to contact the US consulate (or embassy) in the DR right away. They are bound by law to do so if you ask, but they will not contact them if you do not ask. Better yet, have the numbers programmed into your cell phone and phone them first, before you even get out of your car. If the US (or Canadian) consulate is involved, the only time you will spend in jail is until they get down to the police station. Also, they will get you an english speaking (non corrupt) lawyer. I did a lot of research on this before my first trip including calling the Canadian embassy in the DR.
    And if they don't speak English and pretend not to know what US consulate or embassey means or your cell phone is dead you may end up with 8 or betters Locker Room Jail scene.

Thanks

Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea of Jail either.

I just don't have any more answers than before .

I got banned from the whole topic on another site.

Mike your buddy that gets you the discount codes don't know shit or someone who does know ?
    Last edited by Mr Hillbilly; 05-13-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,076 Posts

Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea either. I just don't have any more answers than before .

Mike your buddy that gets you the discount codes don't know shit or someone who does know ?
    What site?
    I can take Google Wallet and Send Invoices thru Square.

3 days is $8.00

1 Month is $12.00

3 Months is $25.00

6 Months is $40

1 yr is $60

2 yr is $90

3 yr is $115

5 yr is $250

the 1 year and more include admission into Jimmy's stash area

E mail me at Jdrent97@gmail.com

I will need

Website Handle

and which subscription you are interested in

Thanks

TSM Bruce and Gypsy the owner of Adventure are good friends he didn't like it when members including me started drilling him.

He got involved; came up short ;then we tore him new ass and he didn't like it.
    Last edited by Mr Hillbilly; 05-13-2010 at 06:39 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,076 Posts

TSM Bruce and Gypsy the owner of Adventure are good friends he didn't like it when members including me started drilling him.
    I can say that after meeting Bruce, he is a complete asshole.

Thanks

Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea either. I just don't have any more answers than before .

Are you referring to the rental car codes or what? The code I posted works I have friends that have used it many times. Not all locations accept the same codes. It is just like discounts or coupons in the Entertainment Books not all of them work outside the U.S.

Personally I use the Marquis/NetJet code that a friend of mine got me a card which is always as least as good and sometimes better but you need an ID card for that.

What codes have you found that are better? I would be happy to try them.

Thanks

Mike just thought your buddy was executive in rental car company might know way around going to Jail in Accident in DR .

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mike just thought your buddy was executive in rental car company might know way around going to Jail in Accident in DR .
    No my friends are more like real estate developers. I did discuss this with 2 of my friends who invest in things in many countries and their answer wasn't pretty. To summarize I would say they weren't surprised.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I guess there is only two ways not rent a car or get that Casa Del Conductor and get throw in their Santiago Jail Facility.
    Now its just a matter of finding out which rental agency has it and whether the insurance company pays other party quickly or if its 6 months till trial.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    And if they don't speak English and pretend not to know what US consulate or embassey means or your cell phone is dead you may end up with 8 or betters Locker Room Jail scene.
    Excellent point mikelodge - but like I said - call your embassy even before you get out of your car and let them know what happened. It might not work - but I'm sure it's way better than not calling!! If your phone is dead then you are fubar.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    Excellent point mikelodge - but like I said - call your embassy even before you get out of your car and let them know what happened. It might not work - but I'm sure it's way better than not calling!! If your phone is dead then you are fubar.
    I have had alot of fubar in my life but luckily I learned from it fast and rarely now put myself in the position.

In all seriousness I certainly am sorry to hear about what happened to 8 or Better but I am glad that he has continued to share and push this info since I feel it is very important for people to at least have the knowledge of the possibilities that could happen. Then you can make your decision and weigh your risks. That is how I have always lead my life.

I have actually written the numbers to call down to be programed into a clean phone that I will have one of my friends add to their account before I visit again.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 668 Posts

I mentioned in another thread that I would be canceling by rental due to this event. I did cancel my reservation from adventure (which is too bad because they drop it off right at the hotel - I was only going to have a car for the second week of my vacation). I did make inquiries about the casa del conductor insurance option to all the rental places I could find. The initial phone calls were useless but they did forward the questions on. The only one so far that has gotten back to me is Alamo and the answer was no help.

I did find a thread on another site from a person that rented from Dollar that was in an accident that did have Casa Del Conductor (they were not aware they had it until they called the rental company after being in an accident) but this was in Santiago but at least that means that rental companies can carry it...

I am still going to rent a car while I am there for the last half of my vacation just not from any place that does not have an international presence. I'm going to insure the shit out of it and drive like a granny.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talis View Post
    I mentioned in another thread that I would be canceling by rental due to this event. I did cancel my reservation from adventure (which is too bad because they drop it off right at the hotel - I was only going to have a car for the second week of my vacation). I did make inquiries about the casa del conductor insurance option to all the rental places I could find. The initial phone calls were useless but they did forward the questions on. The only one so far that has gotten back to me is Alamo and the answer was no help.

I did find a thread on another site from a person that rented from Dollar that was in an accident that did have Casa Del Conductor (they were not aware they had it until they called the rental company after being in an accident) but this was in Santiago but at least that means that rental companies can carry it...

I am still going to rent a car while I am there for the last half of my vacation just not from any place that does not have an international presence. I'm going to insure the shit out of it and drive like a granny.
    You got it thats my program too. I still need or extremely want a car and frankly won't go without one knowing all the things it opens up to you that are available.

I prefer the term grandpa to granny but all that have ridden with me would agree I am very cautious driving. OK except that one night I tried to get the cow to get in the back seat up in Mulatta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information