Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 06/2006 - Chase Continental Debit Card

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

Re: Chase Continental Debit Card

I only fly continental when it comes to DR so you have no idea how much advantage this is to me

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Jack it varies but domestic starts at 25k round trip and up depending on routes and times and a million other things just like every airlines mileage programs. They blackout dates or when they say they don't they double the miles needed on those dates saying Economy is not available but you can get Business for double ect.
    domestic actually starts at 20k but those 'saverpass' seats can be extremely limited depending on the route. the newark-puerto plata route, though, is very open. you can fly just about any day for the minimum 35k r/t.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ardTravel.aspx

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    But how many miles do you need to get a round trip??
    a couple/few trips back I did RT EWR to POP for 47,000 FFM + like $60 or 80 ? US for taxes

First Classsssss . . . a waste of miles I know but fun as all fuckin hell ! !

Memosa's before the cattle car boarded . . .
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    true, but you could technically close your existing account and open a new one tomorrow, if you consider it worth the effort.

also, this promotion has been entended consistently for at least the last three years. technically, you don't have to close the account before the promotion says it ends (end of june iirc) because the terms of the promotion dictate that you can take advantage of it once per calender year. many posters on the flyertalk forums have done just that - closed accounts at the end of the year, opened new ones at the beginning of the next - and gotten full credit on the miles.
    I do not doubt you could do that IF they offer the program again. Every program since recorded time has ended at some point. Citi Bank had credit cards for American Airlines that unlike most all airlines where it is only for first time cardholders let you get them and earn the intro miles then cancel and do it over again for over a year then they finally wised up and now it is just one time. This was posted about last year and I remember Jimmy and I both posted about Citicards.

The biggest concerns I would have is that I have had the same Chase checking account for over 10 years combined with credit cards and a line of credit I don't use much anymore. I would not want to cancel an open account of that length that is a huge factor in a Very Very high credit score. 10 plus years with the same credit cards for personal and business is rare now a days.

Also everytime you open an account an inquiry to check your credit which is mandatory lowers your score. I open a credit card or two every year just for the promotion and then cancel them after I get the hotel points or miles but I won't close this one.

As I stated it is a Great Deal for people New to Chase.

Thanks

domestic actually starts at 20k but those 'saverpass' seats can be extremely limited depending on the route. the newark-puerto plata route, though, is very open. you can fly just about any day for the minimum 35k r/t.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ardTravel.aspx
    American has flights right now this summer for 25k miles to POP same as I got last year going for Halloween and they are 35k the other half of the year during the more desirable peak travel time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman View Post
    a couple/few trips back I did RT EWR to POP for 47,000 FFM + like $60 or 80 ? US for taxes

First Classsssss . . . a waste of miles I know but fun as all fuckin hell ! !

Memosa's before the cattle car boarded . . .
    I am with ya on that one my fellow distilled beverage lover. I have posted many times that the upgrade to first if it is $135 like on American when I fly to Miami many times a year or to the west coast it is worth it if it's in the afternoon or evening when you are ready to drink.

One more time for the new guys-- Think $135 and you get on first and start drinking free. Some airport bars charge $10-15 for a decent drink and even a beer is $7 or $8 bucks so if you have only 5 or 6 drinks on the plane instead of the bar in the airport you save between 50-75 bucks then get a meal that would cost you $15 and a wide seat and leg room and get to get off the plane first.

You also get access flying 1st class to the Airline lounge like the Admirals Club or Sky Club if you don't already have that with a credit card or membership. For pre flight drinks and snacks.

NOW if it was Jayman and I heading to Brazil we would have time to get in 15-20 drinks each before a power nap

That sound good to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malo View Post
    I just got mine last week.
    Damn. I'm on the starting block right now to buy 3 FLIGHTS for the summer and I'm being held back, I'm dying here waiting for that damn card to arrive!!!
    Which just builds up the excitation, and with the trip reports on the boards now and all I'M DYING!!!!!!!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

true, but you could technically close your existing account and open a new one tomorrow, if you consider it worth the effort.

also, this promotion has been entended consistently for at least the last three years. technically, you don't have to close the account before the promotion says it ends (end of june iirc) because the terms of the promotion dictate that you can take advantage of it once per calender year. many posters on the flyertalk forums have done just that - closed accounts at the end of the year, opened new ones at the beginning of the next - and gotten full credit on the miles.

I'm asking this to Mikelodge or you deezl or anyone else matter of fact, is there any consequences on closing and opening an account every year like that? credit? trust from the bank?? hurting the branch??

I opened my Continental account last weekend but had opened and closed another regular one with them earlier this year on some unrelated business when I told this to the manager I could see her face change like "he's a serial account closer and he doesn't give a fuck" lol and then she told me that if there's a problem with them and I get mad or something to come and talk to her......

Should I anticipate opening an account in different branches every year?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    Damn. I'm on the starting block right now to buy 3 FLIGHTS for the summer and I'm being held back, I'm dying here waiting for that damn card to arrive!!!
    Which just builds up the excitation, and with the trip reports on the boards now and all I'M DYING!!!!!!!
    Just make sure that when you have the card activated that it's linked to the OnePass account you already have, otherwise they just create a brand new account for you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    I'm asking this to Mikelodge or you deezl or anyone else matter of fact, is there any consequences on closing and opening an account every year like that? credit? trust from the bank?? hurting the branch??

I opened my Continental account last weekend but had opened and closed another regular one with them earlier this year on some unrelated business when I told this to the manager I could see her face change like "he's a serial account closer and he doesn't give a fuck" lol and then she told me that if there's a problem with them and I get mad or something to come and talk to her......

Should I anticipate opening an account in different branches every year?
    In general, most banks either run a soft inquiry (does not affect your credit in any way) or use ChexSystems which only checks if you have outstanding balances with other banks. The only check that can affect your credit rating is a hard inquiry, but I don't think any banks do those for opening an account. If it's a concern, just ask the bank what their policy is. AFAIK, Chase just runs a ChexSystems report.

Before closing the account/s at the end of the year (assuming the intent is to reopen it to get more bonus mileage) you should probably check to see if they are continuing the program. With the United merger things may change.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In general, most banks either run a soft inquiry (does not affect your credit in any way) or use ChexSystems which only checks if you have outstanding balances with other banks. The only check that can affect your credit rating is a hard inquiry, but I don't think any banks do those for opening an account. If it's a concern, just ask the bank what their policy is. AFAIK, Chase just runs a ChexSystems report.

Before closing the account/s at the end of the year (assuming the intent is to reopen it to get more bonus mileage) you should probably check to see if they are continuing the program. With the United merger things may change.
    Many banks when you are opening an account with a debit card DO a hard hit on your credit report. This is done for several reasons. Mainly they want to push the programs they have like a line of credit to prevent bad check which can be called many things from Credit Cushion to Back up Prevention to Overdraft Protection ect. These are all extensions of credit and they want to know about you before they offer them so they Ping you credit bureaus.

Experian, Equifax and Trans Union are usually the three that get hit the most to check on you. Who cares about what the bank makes or thinks but you don't want to many inquiries if you ever may need to borrow money or get more credit.

If retired, or financially set for life and will never borrow again it doesn't matter.

My biggest complaint is I have banked with Chase Business wise for over 15 years and every time they have offers at least half of them get fucked up and I have to spend 50 days and hours to try to get the reward I was supposed to get many months later after many letters of complaint.

Like someone posted make sure it goes to your One Pass account and sometimes you think it will and they start you a new one. Good luck on getting those merged it is a pain like a civil suit.
    Just Doing It

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There's a closed thread on this from about a year ago but with ticket prices seemingly on the rise and with the economy being what it is - and with most preferring to save our money for the destination rather than the flight - thought it could do with a repost (and some additions).

Open a checking account with Chase and get the Continental debit card, and add either direct deposit or make 5 purchases within the first 2 months or so (the only stipulation) and get 25,000 FF miles. Double miles on any Continental flight booked through the site and paid for with the card and 1 mile per dollar spent anywhere else (as long as you choose 'credit' and not 'debit' - sign for it, don't punch in your PIN! - this also goes for those first 5 purchases). They also have shopping partners where if you purchase at any partner through the continental site (partners like best buy, barnes & noble, etc) you can get anywhere from 2miles/$1 to 50miles/$1.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...OP25&MKID=6NKM

Also, you can open a Continental Chase Business account with $500, get a debit card through that - and get another 25k miles.

There's a $25 annual charge for the card if you want to get 1 mile per $2 spent and a $65 annual charge for 1mile to the dollar. whichever you choose you still get the full 25k miles for opening the account.

the kicker is that you can do this every year. Close the accounts whenever you like, open up new accounts in the next calendar year and get another 25-50k miles.
    DONE!

And now tomorrow, ditto with the business account(deposit of $500)

I'm loving it...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Did anybody read the fine print on the bottom of this offer ???

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

1 Offer valid through June 30, 2010. To qualify for the reward you must open a new Chase BusinessClassicSM Checking account and deposit a minimum of $500 or more into your new business checking account within 30 days of account opening with funds not currently on deposit with Chase or any of its affiliates. Account opening and award of premium are subject to approval. This bonus mile offer is not available to customers with an existing Chase checking account. Limit one business checking account-related premium per customer per calendar year. Chase reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time without notice. Attempts to earn multiple premiums may be voided by Chase, at its discretion. Offer not available on account conversions or in combination with any other offer and is non-transferable. Employees of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and our affiliates are not eligible. Initial 10,000 bonus miles will be deposited in your OnePass® account 6-10 weeks after the initial $500 in deposits have posted to the new account. Chase BusinessClassicSM Checking is available only at Chase branded branches.

2. The second 15,000 bonus OnePass mile award will be credited to your OnePass account after the fifth qualifying purchase is made. Please allow 6-10 weeks after your first qualifying purchase for bonus OnePass miles to post to your OnePass account. This bonus mile offer is not available to customers with an existing Chase checking account. Limit one 15,000 bonus OnePass miles premium per customer per calendar year. Chase reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time without notice. Attempts to earn multiple premiums will be voided by Chase.

I do this every year but never tried for both the personal and business bonus because I thought this fine print prohibits it.

It will be interesting to see if you get it Joeysterr. GOOD LUCK and Keep us informed.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?..._Business_9898

Shit! Those fine prints made it pretty clear that it is NOT possible Waiting for deezl to chime in on this...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    I do this every year but never tried for both the personal and business bonus because I thought this fine print prohibits it.

It will be interesting to see if you get it Joeysterr. GOOD LUCK and Keep us informed.
    The fine print prohibits you from getting the bonus for multiple accounts of the same type. You get the bonus for one personal account and another bonus for one business account (I've done it), you just can't open three personal accounts and get multiple bonuses.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    I will definitely post a 'trip report' when it's done

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

I just got another Amex and a Contential Card.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 4,554 Posts

Good info here, thanks fellas!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dunedain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Best deal is the Amex Platinum Card if you travel alot. Between the ViP access and the miles bumps and extra promos it is a no brainer for 4 bills or less.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Recommended sources for CC churning are, for example, www.flyertalk.com and www.frugaltravelguy.com.

I have added 235k airline miles over the last six months to DL, AA, US, and BA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papi_sosua For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information