Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 12/2007 - Spirit Airlines updates and deals

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Re: 12/2007 - Spirit Airlines updates and deals

I just saw Rovers post above.I guess its $5 to check in at the airport.Still that could be 1/2 a piece of ass for me!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

I can sense the excitement building. Good luck and have fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    I just saw Rovers post above.I guess its $5 to check in at the airport.Still that could be 1/2 a piece of ass for me!!
    didn't have to pay $5 a week ago but mi will see what tomorrow brings in Montego Bay, Jamaica......

have fun in Meddy jacknback.......still a lot cheaper than Jamaica..........
    though mi got gurls down to $70US for TLN's........down from $100US last reach......
    not letting them Prosts quote a price helped a lot in the negotiations......

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Not sure if it is an FLL thing, but I am also a $9 member and my friend was not. We went to FLL and scanned the passport at the computer kiosk, and printed the boarding pass for our trip to SDQ and there was no charge for either of us. It must of taken us less then a minute.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,089 Times in 7,183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Anyone going on a trip soon don't forget to print out your boarding pass that they sent you in the e-mail confirmation or they charge you an extra $5 for them doing it at the airport

Just another Spirit trick/hidden-charge.

Joe and I just printed boarding passes for the 1st time.
    I remember trying to do this before but it wasn't allowed for international flights.
    I saw Rovers post that said they will be charging at the check in counter if you get your boarding pass at the airport.
    I forget how much he said but whatever it is it will be better spent by me in Medellin!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    didn't have to pay $5 a week ago but mi will see what tomorrow brings in Montego Bay, Jamaica......

have fun in Meddy jacknback......
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    Not sure if it is an FLL thing, but I am also a $9 member and my friend was not. We went to FLL and scanned the passport at the computer kiosk, and printed the boarding pass for our trip to SDQ and there was no charge for either of us. It must of taken us less then a minute.

You may find a charge on the credit card you used to book the flight when you get your statement

Check this link http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

Scroll down to BOOKING RELATED FEE'S. Look at the last 2 in the list ....and you will see ....

Booking Related Fees

Reservations Booking Fee – except Colombia $10.00 per customer, per booking
    Package Booking Fee – for package bookings purchased via Reservations $10.00 per customer, per booking
    Group Booking Fee $5.00 per customer, per booking
    Colombia Administrative Fee – sold via Reservations and Airports - fee applied depends on amount of per-customer base fare $15.00 to $95.00 per customer, per booking
    Revenue Standby Fee $25.00 per customer, each way
    Passenger Usage Fee – Domestic Flights $8.99 to $16.99 per customer, each way
    Passenger Usage Fee – International Flights (includes PR and USVI) $8.99 to $16.99 per customer, each way
    Charge for Airport Agents printing Boarding Passes (fee starts 24 January 2012) $5.00 per boarding pass printed
    Charge for printing Boarding Passes at Kiosk (fee starts 30 June 2012) $2.00 per boarding pass printed
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

no charge of $5 for that boarding pass just now.....mi bought the tickets back in November......
    maybe the next time mi use Spirit dem will get mi if mi wait to get a boarding pass at check in.......

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Check-in said they just started this 1/24.
    Boarding agent says it doesn't apply on returns from international flights.
    We will see.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Check-in said they just started this 1/24.
    Boarding agent says it doesn't apply on returns from international flights.
    We will see.
    OK now that you just saved $5 you can tear it up for an extra hour on Spirit

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Spirit Blames New DOT Rules for Yet Another Fee

Another day, another dollar squeezed from the pockets of Spirit passengers. Yep, you guessed it. Spirit's dropped yet another fee on its flyers.

A mere week after the Department of Transportation (DOT) introduced a series of passenger protection regulations, Spirit's rolled out a fresh fee in reaction to the rules. According to a press release issued by the airline, Spirit customers must now pay a $2 each-way DOTUC (Department of Transportation Unintended Consequences) fee to cover costs associated with the DOT's new regulations. The $2 fee went into effect on Tuesday, January 31.

One of the DOT's recently enacted rules gives flyers the option to change or cancel a reservation within 24 hours of booking; it's this law in particular that's given Spirit cause to charge extra. The airline's reasoning? By reserving seats for customers who have yet to commit, Spirit will lose inventory and, consequently, money—or so it says. Hence it's passing the purported cost on to its passengers.

It's been a week since the DOT's new rules went into effect, so it's doubtful the airline has had the chance to make an accurate assessment of how much the rules have impacted its bottom line. So it seems that Spirit is using rules created to protect flyers as an excuse to charge them more. Oh, the irony.

Spirit President and CEO Ben Baldanza offers no hard data. Instead, he serves up an artfully stretched metaphor: "People love the idea of not having to commit to a reservation, but this regulation, like most, imposes costs on consumers. Wouldn't we all like to eat all we want and not get fat? Regulators like to try to sell the idea of this rule, but have ignored the cost impact to consumers. You simply can't eat all you want without consequences."

But can you charge customers all you want without consequences? The airline that gets its bread and butter by force-feeding fee after fee to overtaxed passengers probably shouldn't speak about the virtues of restraint.

Readers, has Spirit gone too far yet again?

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post

they are certainly the nickel and dime of airlines...........
    mi pretty tired of all their fees and don't think it is going to end till they are out of business......
    or until that CEO is kicked out the door..........
    they said they made $5 million dollars alone on baggage fees last year.......
    so there isn't much incentive to change their ways.........
    maybe at some point there will be a large suit against Spirit for all our pain and suffering........lol
    mi imagine the government at this point is watching them like a hawk with their high volume of complaints which is the highest in the airline industry.........

Thanks

One of the DOT's recently enacted rules gives flyers the option to change or cancel a reservation within 24 hours of booking;

Thank you psriches for this valuable information

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Another day, another dollar squeezed from the pockets of Spirit passengers. Yep, you guessed it. Spirit's dropped yet another fee on its flyers.

A mere week after the Department of Transportation (DOT) introduced a series of passenger protection regulations, Spirit's rolled out a fresh fee in reaction to the rules. According to a press release issued by the airline, Spirit customers must now pay a $2 each-way DOTUC (Department of Transportation Unintended Consequences) fee to cover costs associated with the DOT's new regulations. The $2 fee went into effect on Tuesday, January 31.

One of the DOT's recently enacted rules gives flyers the option to change or cancel a reservation within 24 hours of booking; it's this law in particular that's given Spirit cause to charge extra. The airline's reasoning? By reserving seats for customers who have yet to commit, Spirit will lose inventory and, consequently, money—or so it says. Hence it's passing the purported cost on to its passengers.

It's been a week since the DOT's new rules went into effect, so it's doubtful the airline has had the chance to make an accurate assessment of how much the rules have impacted its bottom line. So it seems that Spirit is using rules created to protect flyers as an excuse to charge them more. Oh, the irony.

Spirit President and CEO Ben Baldanza offers no hard data. Instead, he serves up an artfully stretched metaphor: "People love the idea of not having to commit to a reservation, but this regulation, like most, imposes costs on consumers. Wouldn't we all like to eat all we want and not get fat? Regulators like to try to sell the idea of this rule, but have ignored the cost impact to consumers. You simply can't eat all you want without consequences."

But can you charge customers all you want without consequences? The airline that gets its bread and butter by force-feeding fee after fee to overtaxed passengers probably shouldn't speak about the virtues of restraint.

Im surprised there is no thread regarding the new DOT rules. Spirit is how I heard about it but they make the whiole thing so unclear with their nickel and diming. I hear that all the taxes are now included in pricing for all airlines. Not sure how it works for spirit but with AA the prices now include tax and on a test I saw that DR flights were cheaper. Im talking under $400 RT. I saw some 321 to SDQ for some dates. Been working that Kayak lately.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

All I care about is getting a cheaper ticket. Spirit usually runs about $150 - $200 cheaper than American. They can throw in a million charges as long as its saving me a $100 - $200 per trip.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

I used to check religously every week and day dream about taking trips on the Spirit website once a week and I have stopped in the last few months.

I noticed a few things
    • There is a fee if you book within 6 months using Spirit miles, but they won't let you book anything past Sept 30th?
    • I guess the call center is in India, and has the worst phone service in the world.
    • Trying to book MDE for low miles seems impossible now

SAVE the spirit stock is up up up!!!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to check religously every week and day dream about taking trips on the Spirit website once a week and I have stopped in the last few months.

• I guess the call center is in India, and has the worst phone service in the world!
    • yes it is and you can't understand a friggin word they say..........

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I noticed a few things
    • There is a fee if you book within 6 months using Spirit miles, but they won't let you book anything past Sept 30th?
    • I guess the call center is in India, and has the worst phone service in the world.
    • Trying to book MDE for low miles seems impossible now

SAVE the spirit stock is up up up!!!
    I had the same question when I last called and they said that they will waive the fee ??????

I use Spirit but I don't trust them or their shady tel reps.

yes it is and you can't understand a friggin word they say.......... [/LIST]
    DITTO ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

yes it is and you can't understand a friggin word they say.......... [/LIST]
    I've NEVER argued with a customer service rep, in my entire life, than I did with the rep for Spirit, just to talk to a manager that was raised speaking English. Most company's know that customers get pissed and will leave if they don't get what they want.

I argued for 30 minutes, telling him that he spoke perfect English, but with his accent, I couldn't understand a damn word.

Spirit's CSR's do everything they can to not let you talk to a manager, and I've caught them at least 3 times lying to me, just so they can make a commission!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

on another note...when I flew two weeks ago on Spirit......
    mi got 2,500 certificate for bonus miles for applying for their credit card......
    when the attendant handed mi the certificate, she said they would call mi......
    but mi read the fine print and said to go online to register for dem miles........
    mi registered these miles and they say mi should have dem 2,500 miles within 45 days......

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,330 Posts

They fucked me good on my last flight out of MDE, they closed the check in counter early and told me flights closed (they must have oversold it), after arguing they said we sent the passenger info to US already and it can't be changed. I said fine give me in writing that I was there and note the exact time, they wouldn't give me anything. An airport Customer Service rep was at the counter while this happened and I wound up having to pay for a new ticket. She wrote on the receipt that I had to be there at 11am and said I had to sign it! (4hrs 10mins before takeoff). They make up there own terms and conditions as they go at MDE lol.

I took pics of my cell phone clock and the International Departures door (they said "you wouldn't have made it through immigration in time", meanwhile there was no line and I always pass through within 30 mins or so and that's with a line) At the Customer Service counter, they said this happens all the time with Spirit and they do it to get more fees. I went to the Spirit office downstairs, the door was locked and office empty. I called the Spirit 800 # from the airport also, and the Indian rep told me the system says I showed up 5 mins late, guess those cunts wanted to cover their ass. Waiting for Spirit to resolve the issue, otherwise I'll dispute with the bank claiming fraud and breach of T&C by Spirit, hope I win.

33. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BCell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hope things get settled in your favor~~~

I always leave the hotel around 10/10:30 and get to the airport around +11/11:30.
    I don't want to battle with the line and all the locals who block access to the ticket counter cause they have to pull their luggage apart and repack because it weighs to much!
    I have (so far) not had any problems in Medellin and by getting there early I usually get a good seat(this time was emergency row.This has happened a few times now)and I go through customs as soon as they start letting people through.
    I would rather wait in the boarding area a couple of hours then risk missing the flight and having to buy another ticket.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thread Information