Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot strike

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Lets see
    10 reasons why I would NEVER want to be a Commercial PILOT

1)-You have to wear a Uniform that Chics go crazy over
    2)-you make a LOT of money
    3)- the working hours are short & you get to see places others who worked all their lives only dream about
    4)- you get to bang hot flight attendants, whenever you please.
    5)- you even have a CO pilot, in case you need to take a FUCKING NAP....
    6)-most of the time, the plane is on auto pilot and doing your fucking work for you
    7)-everyone idolizes you and kids aspire to be just like you when they grow up
    8)- everyone kisses your ass on a daily basis
    9)- and if you make difficult landing you become an instant Hero, possibly even write a book and become famous.
    10)-its your second income as you already have a pension from being in the service.

Yeagh, thats a SUCKY job, who would want that ? , good thing they have a Union to protect them.
    Glorified Bus Drivers You couldn't pay me to do that job...how boring

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Its only comical to me how you union guys stick together.
    no offense meant, no offense taken . I have relatives in the Unions too. Electrical, Plumbing. etc.
    My dad was in a Union too, long story, but they fucked him out of his little Pension.

But K, these pilots would PISS on your head in a second if you walked up to them and said "yep, im a union man myself" . u and me..union brothers.
    I stand by your side. LOL
    But here you are defending them, like they are your brothers.
    its just funny to us "non union" & self employed guys.

thats all.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,134 Times in 2,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Its only comical to me how you union guys stick together.
    no offense meant, no offense taken . I have relatives in the Unions too. Electrical, Plumbing. etc.
    My dad was in a Union too, long story, but they fucked him out of his little Pension.

But K, these pilots would PISS on your head in a second if you walked up to them and said "yep, im a union man myself" . u and me..union brothers.
    I stand by your side. LOL
    But here you are defending them, like they are your brothers.
    its just funny to us "non union" & self employed guys.

thats all.
    Not sticking together at all, again I repeat, wait until the facts are known, then make a rational argument

If, when the facts are know, the Spirit pilots come across as unreasonable greedy bastards, I'll join the line to pile on them.

Until then, we know nothing other than the fact they went on strike and disrputed the lives and incomes of many.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    First year salary for an FO is about $40/flying hour w/ 72 h/mo guaranteed. Needless to say that in order to accumulate 72 h/mo flying hours you are spending 160 h/mo on the job.
    So, that's $2,880/mo for the right seat.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Do You?

P.S.: On an hourly basis (ST), your whores in Sosua make more. And they don't get taxed either!

And I don't think pilots get trained free, have you seen the cost of flight school?.

And for those that were trained on Uncle Sam's dime, they still needed a post secondary education and gave up 5 years of their lives (Navy anyways).

If the man in the pilots seat is happy, I'm happy.

But I know he didn't just fall into the job and chances are he didn't make the big coin for many years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    I talked to a Spirit pilot last week in Medellin airport and he said the requested wage they are asking for is to be payed only what AirTran and Jetblue,the other so called low fare companies,are getting.They have been negotiating this for a long time but should have seen the writing on the wall when 2 or 3 days ago Spirit CEO said we'll fly with or without them.Maybe a lot of unemployed pilots will take their job,but according to this guy,who by the way said he really didn't want to walk,pilot association is real tight and if you cross the line work becomes really miserable for you with your fellow pilots.
    hence my point about lockouts, this isn't one sided.

Spirit is just as cuplable, I hope we learn more!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klockman View Post
    The very top ones with the biggest airlines, sure.

With Spirit? I'd like to see where their salaries are listed.

Until then, we're just guessing.
    Which means the pilots who accept jobs with Spirit, know they're not the cream of the crop. Which means when we're paying the lower fee's, we know that somewhere (usually the top paid people) are not the best!

FUCK THEM!!!! Money hungry mother fuckers!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm about to post my story of my flight today, which will make me constantly wonder who the most greedy mother fuckers are.... the pilots, or the corporation??????

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Which means the pilots who accept jobs with Spirit, know they're not the cream of the crop. Which means when we're paying the lower fee's, we know that somewhere (usually the top paid people) are not the best!

FUCK THEM!!!! Money hungry mother fuckers!!
    I don't think they're asking to be paid as the top guys, they're asking to be comparable with other discount airlines and I'd throw out a guess that it's not just about money, I suspect benefits, pension, seniority rights, schedules...etc etc are also on the table

If they have no contract, they're in their right to strike, sorry. And if Spirit isn't negotiating in good faith and saying they'll lock them out and replace them, they should strike.

Again, I'm not a fan of strikes but I suspect that 75-80% of the members here will post without having all (or any) of the facts simply because a low price monger airline was disrupted.

Oh well

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I'm about to post my story of my flight today, which will make me constantly wonder who the most greedy mother fuckers are.... the pilots, or the corporation??????

Everybody wants to be paid, including you.

If we don't like a service, we're free to vote with our money and look elsewhere.

What we don't have is the right to entitlement, airlines are not obligated to give us low fares anymore than pilots, mechanics, flight crew...etc aren't obligated to work for less money simply because it works for us.

Food for thought, check out how many airlines went bankrupt to void union contracts, also check out how many discount airlines have raised their fees without improving service and in many cases, cutting routes.

We're coming out of a recession so I don't have much sympathy for those wanting raises (I didn't get one, either). But I do realize that my rights begin when I buy the ticket and if its costs more because people want to be paid more, then it's my right to shop around.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

I don't think they're asking to be paid as the top guys, they're asking to be comparable with other discount airlines and I'd throw out a guess that it's not just about money, I suspect benefits, pension, seniority rights, schedules...etc etc are also on the table

If they have no contract, they're in their right to strike, sorry. And if Spirit isn't negotiating in good faith and saying they'll lock them out and replace them, they should strike.

Again, I'm not a fan of strikes but I suspect that 75-80% of the members here will post without having all (or any) of the facts simply because a low price monger airline was disrupted.

Oh well
    Even the top airlines contract out, I remember the Dash-8 that crashed in buffalo last year, The co pilot was earning 14K a year while she was training.

Pilots aren't being paid that well. The guy who "landed" in the Hudson was making 125K after over 30 years of service.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If we don't like a service, we're free to vote with our money and look elsewhere.

What we don't have is the right to entitlement, airlines are not obligated to give us low fares anymore than pilots, mechanics, flight crew...etc aren't obligated to work for less money simply because it works for us.

Food for thought, check out how many airlines went bankrupt to void union contracts, also check out how many discount airlines have raised their fees without improving service and in many cases, cutting routes.

We're coming out of a recession so I don't have much sympathy for those wanting raises (I didn't get one, either). But I do realize that my rights begin when I buy the ticket and if its costs more because people want to be paid more, then it's my right to shop around.
    I'm not going to argue your point. It is a valid point. I decide to buy a ticket, or three, to go somewhere...I'm not forced to.

But as an inteligent self empoyeed business man, I wish I could cut a third of my business to boost the profits of my other two thirds....I'd gladly do it. But these fucking airlines cut their flights, so they don't have to cut their prices to fill the planes. The same # of people are flying, so with fewer flights, we're paying more for a seat!!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh well

If Spirit is always at leat 30% cheaper for alot of flights, and still making a profit, EVERYONE knows why!!

I would happily pay a fair price, with good customer service......but that is a fucking pipe dream!!!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

The very top ones with the biggest airlines, sure.

With Spirit? I'd like to see where their salaries are listed.

Until then, we're just guessing.
    it doesnt matter what thier salaries are.

they knew what it was when they took the job.

now they whine because they want more money like the other airline pilots get.

fuck that. you want more money, quit and go get a job with that other high paying airline.

i dont believe anyone has the right to demand more money.

take your shit, get the fuck out, there are plenty of people that will take the job you arent happy with.

should we also pay the putas more, because they feel they deserve it?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    First year salary for an FO is about $40/flying hour w/ 72 h/mo guaranteed. Needless to say that in order to accumulate 72 h/mo flying hours you are spending 160 h/mo on the job.
    So, that's $2,880/mo for the right seat.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Do You?

P.S.: On an hourly basis (ST), your whores in Sosua make more. And they don't get taxed either!
    yep. your right, i dont have a clue what im talking about.

all the hundreds or more likely - thousands of poeple that just got fucked today.. thats my imagination.

if you are gonna sit there and try and tell me that whores in sosua, make MORE than pilots on a fucking plane, well then, its pointless to even try to have a conversation with you.

if you believe that the 440 pilots that fucked those people today, are only clearing 35k a year... well.... you keep living in that world.

Thanks

And I don't think pilots get trained free, have you seen the cost of flight school?.

And for those that were trained on Uncle Sam's dime, they still needed a post secondary education and gave up 5 years of their lives (Navy anyways).

If the man in the pilots seat is happy, I'm happy.

But I know he didn't just fall into the job and chances are he didn't make the big coin for many years
    neither did a doctor or nurse, or lawyer... anyone in a high paying profession gave up time in thier life for schooling ,and spent some cash for that schooling.

it doesnt change the fact that someone walks into a job, with a known salary, and then wants more. and disrupts the lives of many many other people because they want more money.

you are correct, we dont know ALL the details.

what we do know is that 440 pilots walked out on thier jobs, because they wanted more money. a reuest they have been fighting about for 3 years now. so i say fuckem. if they didnt like thier pay, they could have gone elsewhere. that precious pilots union could have had the common courtesy to warn travellers they would be going on strike.

hey everyone, dont get on that plane today. you will be stuck in fll, because we are walking at 5am. just lettin ya know.

i think its bullshit.

my dad works for gm, he's union too, and half the shit they do and demand, is the most retarded shit i have ever seen.

if you are union and it works for you, then great . good for you. but dont personally attack me, because i think its bullshit that a bunch of people got fucked over some greedy pilots.

if you guys think its ok for those travelers and other workers to get screwed over.. well, thats fucked up.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh well
    i dont care about a monger airline being disrupted. i care about the fact that poeple flying home, people flying out, people coming back in on crusie ships, flight attendants, gate workers, shops, luggage handlers, etc... THEY get disrupted.

thas the shit that bothers me about strikes.

and yo uare right, none of us know ALL The facts. but i see what kind of shit unions do when they are making demands.

fucking gm a few years back, the union works at powertrain were DEMANDING turntable microwaves in ALL breakrooms in ALL plants..

really, fucking turntable microwaves.

the regualr microwaves they had THAT WORKED, were not good enough.. no, they wanted fucking TURNTABLE microwaves..

now, granted, they had A LOT MORE on the plate, like you mentioned with spirit, pensions, benefits, salaries, etc... but really.. .microwaves...

31. The Following User Says Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    neither did a doctor or nurse, or lawyer... anyone in a high paying profession gave up time in thier life for schooling ,and spent some cash for that schooling.

it doesnt change the fact that someone walks into a job, with a known salary, and then wants more. and disrupts the lives of many many other people because they want more money.

you are correct, we dont know ALL the details.

what we do know is that 440 pilots walked out on thier jobs, because they wanted more money. a reuest they have been fighting about for 3 years now. so i say fuckem. if they didnt like thier pay, they could have gone elsewhere. that precious pilots union could have had the common courtesy to warn travellers they would be going on strike.

hey everyone, dont get on that plane today. you will be stuck in fll, because we are walking at 5am. just lettin ya know.

i think its bullshit.

my dad works for gm, he's union too, and half the shit they do and demand, is the most retarded shit i have ever seen.

if you are union and it works for you, then great . good for you. but dont personally attack me, because i think its bullshit that a bunch of people got fucked over some greedy pilots.

if you guys think its ok for those travelers and other workers to get screwed over.. well, thats fucked up.
    Seems to me its the company itself that's the greedy one...next in the line probably IS the worthless GM union.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to robo-dick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

bingo..

at least we agree on this point.

and i feel the same way about the pilots.. if they dont like thier pay, they can look elsewhere..

they took a lower paying job at a lower cost airline. why is it a lower cost airline, because they dont pay the pilots as much. and probably fuck everyone else that works for them too. but, guess what happens when everyone demands more money... thats right, ticket prices go up.. or they start charging for carry on bags...

i am certainly not taking the side of the corporation over the side of the pilots.. im taking the side of the innocent people that get fucked in the process.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robo-dick View Post
    Seems to me its the company itself that's the greedy one...next in the line probably IS the worthless GM union.
    i agree.

its both sides..

like i said above, i am certainly NOT taking the side of spirit over the pilots...

i'm simply voicing the opinion of the consumer or innocent person that gets caught in the crossfire..

37. The Following User Says Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    bingo..

at least we agree on this point.

and i feel the same way about the pilots.. if they dont like thier pay, they can look elsewhere..

they took a lower paying job at a lower cost airline. why is it a lower cost airline, because they dont pay the pilots as much. and probably fuck everyone else that works for them too. but, guess what happens when everyone demands more money... thats right, ticket prices go up.. or they start charging for carry on bags...

i am certainly not taking the side of the corporation over the side of the pilots.. im taking the side of the innocent people that get fucked in the process.
    Actually, they can't. They sign non-competes, United isn't training their pilots to fly for American. They also can't negotiate their own salaries, pensions, benefits or routes, that's done in a CBA and by seniority.

There's very little the pilots control, when they have contract.

However when recommended they can authorize a strike vote and whether they like it or not, as individuals it doesn't matter. One goes, they all go. Just like if the company locks them out, you don't get to pick and choose who works and who doesn't.

And I'd be willing to bet a large number of the pilots wanted to keep working, didn't want raises and certainly preferred their paycheque over strike pay. But if they feel that the company is bargaining in bad faith and it certainly sounds like Spirit is by the statements that they'll fly the planes without them, then they took the only recourse they have.

But to your point I highlighted, they can't simply move. Most professions can and for that we should be thankful

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread Information