Thread: First Trip to DR

Thanks

First Trip to DR

Hi guys.
    Long time reader first time poster here :-)
    I'm thinking about going to Sosua in September/October for maybe 2 weeks. However I haven't been there before, but I've been to LOS before. I read a lot of your posts, especially from the newbie section, but still I have some questions for the veterans:

1. Is Sosua a good Idea for a solo travelling newbie (I'm 27 years old)?

2. What about September/October ? I read this is off-season and hurricane-season. How will the weather be ? Will there be a Chica shortage ?

3. Are there many Haitian Chicas in Sosua ? Will I bennefit at all from knowing french? Or should I get some Spanish basics ?

4. Which chica friendly Hotel can you recommend ? Is "Sosua by the Sea resort" chica friendly?

5. I saw some photo in some thread with a in-room jacuzzi ? Which hotel is that ? Is it chica friendly ?

6. I read that there's a ATM in Sosua. Anything special I have to know about that, as I plan on using it rather often, than bringing loads of cash to DR. The ATM only takes Creditcards or also Debitcards (Maestro/Cirrus)?

Hope my english is understandable, thanks

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

Re: First Trip to DR

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp900 View Post
    Hi guys.
    I'm thinking about going to Sosua in September/October for maybe 2 weeks. However I haven't been there before, but I've been to LOS before. I read a lot of your posts, especially from the newbie section, but still I have some questions for the veterans:

2. What about September/October ? I read this is off-season and hurricane-season. How will the weather be ? Will there be a Chica shortage ?

3. Are there many Haitian Chicas in Sosua ? Will I bennefit at all from knowing french? Or should I get some Spanish basics ?

4. Which chica friendly Hotel can you recommend ? Is "Sosua by the Sea resort" chica friendly?

5. I saw some photo in some thread with a in-room jacuzzi ? Which hotel is that ? Is it chica friendly ?

6. I read that there's a ATM in Sosua. Anything special I have to know about that, as I plan on using it rather often, than bringing loads of cash to DR. The ATM only takes Creditcards or also Debitcards (Maestro/Cirrus)?

Im still a newbie but im going there for the third time in september so i think i can answer a few of your question.

answer to #1: You will never be alone there, im not not the most outgoing guy and ended up having diner with twelve isocers on my firts night

#2 after you land you will understand that this question was irrelevent

#3 yes there's a lot of haitian there and french will help with them, i'm a french canadian and it was easier for me with haitian altough i dont trust them at all. in fact you should'nt trust anybody in this town.

#4 for your first time, New Garden is your best bet, you will never be alone there. I spent 3 night at the Sosua Bay resort last time and it was boring after spending the first 4 nights a NG

#6 ATM'S work perfectly ok, lots of guys use them and i didnt see any problems with that

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

September will be packed in Sosua this year. There are many guys both members of ISOC and non members i know that are going in September. Especially around the first and 2nd week of September. For a first trip solo if only staying in Sosua I would personally recommend only 7-8 days there. this way you have enough time to get all the chicas you want if u r having a great time and not too much time if it gets too much for you or too crazy and you are uncomfortable as some guys have been recently and cant handle the hardcore pushups of many of the chicas especially the hatians. They will be all over you. i just returned and I was good after my 7th day there. By that time you start to see the same chicas over again. Just my 2cents..

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Hi guys.

I think Michel handle most of your ? petty good.

You can do 2 weeks, but at 27 you still will need to pace youself.
    I did a 15 nighter last Oct/ Nov. But I did Sosua and BB to brake things up. But you will not find any Haitian at BB.

#5 The New Garden in Sosua has 3 jacuzzi rooms and Yes it is chica friendly. ISOC rate at $72.00 US a night.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Don't even think about hurricane season - Yes it is. But what a place to ride one out. Up on the north coast is the place to be. A couple of years back I was in Sosua when one hit the south coast. The mountains block most of the effects. All I had was 4 days of rain.

I never seen a chica shortage in Sosua

I will be one of the guys in Sosua, the 2nd week of Sept.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

#7 dont go to La passion after Dave

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the good answers guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

I think the Puerto Plata area has been hit with one hurricane (Eloise in 1975) in the last 100 years and it was still a tropical storm at the time (became a hurricane later in its path). Most of them, if they hit Hispaniola at all, hit the South Coast then roll up the West coast towards Cuba. You're pretty safe, hurricane-wise, if one rolls by odds are all you'd get on the North Coast is a lot of rain.

I've heard it's actually hotter in September than July-August, though, so be prepared for some serious heat (and not just on Pedro Clisante!)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 506 Posts

Hi guys.

you will have a blast. if you have any questions you dont find answers to hit me up. veterans might be too much of a veteran for a good answer for certain questions.

going solo is fine, just know your surrounding, keep your eyes open and read up on the basic info. i have something in general info on sosua with some info that might help you out.

yeah you will benefit if you want a hatian chick maybe if she digs that you speak her language but more than likely they dont care what you speak. but most hatians spoke english, spanish and their native lang.

holloween weekend i will be there solo again i think, unless i change it for Santo Domingo and get on this internet pimpin.

knowing spanish will help as thats obvious but by no means will it hurt you from not knowing spanish.
    it's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to imrealareyou For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michel3275 View Post
    Yes, there's a lot of haitians there ... although I dont trust them at all.
    I totally agree. Distrust all Haitians. But double distrust all Dominicans.

Quote Originally Posted by michel3275 View Post
    ATM'S work perfectly ok, lots of guys use them and I didnt see any problems with that.
    ATMs usually work perfectly OK but there is a much greater incidence of scams and malfunctions with them than in First World countries. To be extra safe:
    --- Draw cash over the teller counter during bank opening hours (you will need your passport or US driving licence)
    --- If you need cash outside banking hours (and plan ahead to avoid this) use an ATM with an armed guard at a bank. If the machine eats your card at a stand-alone ATM (not at a bank) you will spend the rest of your trip trying to get it back.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thread Information