Thread: tourist cards dominican republic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 377 Posts

tourist cards dominican republic

Hello everyone, im new here and me and a friend of mune are leaving on august 1st to go to sosua, dominican republic. i have been doing quite a bit of research online and i've read a few places that usually there are ling lines to wait in in order to get your tourist cards and i have also read that you can get your tourist card before you get there. does anyone know where or how i can go about gettin the tourist cards before we leave?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: tourist cards dominican republic

At POP, Unless 2 planes arrive at the exact same time, the wait should be no more than 5-10 minutes max and thats if people in front of you dont have their money out. They DONT make change, so have exactly $10 US cash ready, its really nothing to worry about,and its not like your checked bags are going to be waiting on the carousel before you get there. Just hustle when you get out of the plane and u wont have to wait. Continental used to sell them at check in for $11 ($1 surcharge) at EWR, not sure if they still do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't know what country you are coming from but from Toronto to the DR they hand them out on the plane. I have been down 4 times and got it on the plane every time.

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobdobbs View Post
    I don't know what country you are coming from but from Toronto to the DR they hand them out on the plane. I have been down 4 times and got it on the plane every time.
    Only on the charters, the fee is included in the cost of the flight. If you fly any of the american carriers through the US, you will have to pay in the DR.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

At POP it takes about 5 to 10 minutes depends on how many tourists are on the plane. Dominincan Residents dont have to stand in line. I've been to POP three times and its only taken about 5 to 10 minutes each time. They had change when I was there but I gave them a $20 bill. Make sure your get your cup of Brugal.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    At POP it takes about 5 to 10 minutes depends on how many tourists are on the plane. Dominincan Residents dont have to stand in line. I've been to POP three times and its only taken about 5 to 10 minutes each time. They had change when I was there but I gave them a $20 bill. Make sure your get your cup of Brugal.
    ...AND your change!! I once handed the guy a $20 bill and he just looked at me like "What?", while looking around me for the next person in line. I was like "My cambio, FOOL!!". He gave me my change like nothing ever happened. Damn, I miss that place!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Try to get a seat near the exit on the plane, if you're one of the first ones off the plane, you'll have virtually no wait time at all, unless another plane came in right before yours.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

You will be waiting longer for your baggage to get unloaded so it doesn't matter how long you have to wait in line to buy a tourist card. And however long it's gonna be quicker than going somewhere to buy it in the US. Normal 5 minutes, max 15 minutes.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Get residency or a passport of a major SA country ( like Chile, there a several on the list) or an Israeli one and you won't need to pay a tourist card.

But with my affection to the country I don't mind paying or standing in line.

Out of Canada: on Westjet, Air Canada it is prepaid (part of a ticket), Sunwing you have to pay at the counter, Airtransat likely have to pay too, I don't remember and Canjet I don't know.

This winter season JAZZ (part of Air Canada) will fly into POP.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Get residency or a passport of a major SA country (like Chile, there a several on the list) or an Israeli one and you won't need to pay a tourist card.
    Have you ever seen the list of exempt countries? There is really no logic to it at all. A real ragbag of countries large and small from around the world. Iceland? Liechtenstein? South Korea? I guess it depends on who slept with whom in the diplomatic world.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

I concur with the fellow who said on Air Canada they hand then out....funny thing was last trip I lost mine in the airport somewhere before I got to customs. As I was searching through my things for it, the guy says in perfect English and menacingly ..."no tourist card. I tell you what we do with you..." then smiling "we say, welcome to Dominican Republic."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    At POP, Unless 2 planes arrive at the exact same time, the wait should be no more than 5-10 minutes max and thats if people in front of you dont have their money out. They DONT make change, so have exactly $10 US cash ready, its really nothing to worry about,and its not like your checked bags are going to be waiting on the carousel before you get there. Just hustle when you get out of the plane and u wont have to wait. Continental used to sell them at check in for $11 ($1 surcharge) at EWR, not sure if they still do.
    Yes, continental still sells them at EWR during check in. I purchased one in April. The wait is not that long if you choose not to purchase one.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to natmatt For This Useful Post:

Thread Information