Thread: Adrian Tropical

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Adrian Tropical

For an early dinner, I went to Adrian Tropical. It is a nice restaurant with an ocean view. You can eat either indoors or outdoors.

Av. 27 De Febrero 809-565-9236
    Av. Abraham Lincoln 809-566-8373
    Av. Independencia 809-508-0025
    Av. George Washington 809-221-1764

Santo Domingo

Here are a few pictures of the menu and food to have a better idea.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Adrian Tropical

Adrian Tropical is a restaurant that is open 24/7. There are several restaurants in Santo Domingo.

The one on the Malecon has a very nice ocean-view.

The addresses are,…..

Av. 27 de Febrero
    Tel: 809-565-9236

Av. Abraham Lincoln
    Tel: 809-566-8373

Av. Independencia
    Tel: 809-508-0025

Av. George Washington
    Tel: 809-221-1764

The food is okay. Not excellent. But to each his own. The service was a bit of a disappointment. The staff were slow and brought the wrong items.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,382 Times in 13,907 Posts

Adrian Tropical is a popular place with the locals, but it doesn't impress me.
    The first time I went, I broke a tooth on something in the food. I was eating mofongo, which has pieces of pork rinds mixed in. I finally ended up having to get a root canal as an indirect result of breaking my tooth.
    My wife ate a shrimp plate, and was throwing up before we could get home.
    Although she has a very delicate stomach, her food didn't smell quite right to me either.
    I went back again a few months later, because I really like the ambiance of the place.
    Believe it or not, I broke another tooth on a piece of bone that was mixed in with the food I ordered. I'm in the process of getting that taken care of now.
    So, because of that, I don't recommend them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Adrian Tropical is a popular place with the locals, but it doesn't impress me.
    The first time I went, I broke a tooth on something in the food. I was eating mofongo, which has pieces of pork rinds mixed in. I finally ended up having to get a root canal as an indirect result of breaking my tooth.
    My wife ate a shrimp plate, and was throwing up before we could get home.
    Although she has a very delicate stomach, her food didn't smell quite right to me either.
    I went back again a few months later, because I really like the ambiance of the place.
    Believe it or not, I broke another tooth on a piece of bone that was mixed in with the food I ordered. I'm in the process of getting that taken care of now.
    So, because of that, I don't recommend them.

MrHappy, I am sorry to hear about you and your wife's experience.

The food is so-so. The service is worse!!!

On the Malecon, there are two other restaurants that are open 24/7. I like Parrillada Malecon 7. I will post about it shortly.

Have a good day!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

I go to adrian's to have a few beers and watch the sunset. you guys are both right. . . food is so so and the last time i went the service sucked big time. 4 people eating and they only brought 3 drinks. . . .even after being reminded 5 times. . . . .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    I go to adrian's to have a few beers and watch the sunset. you guys are both right. . . food is so so and the last time i went the service sucked big time. 4 people eating and they only brought 3 drinks. . . .even after being reminded 5 times. . . . .

I also had the same experience. There were five of us and the guy brought only 4 drinks. I wanted a Coke and the waiter just forgot and forgot.

This is the only place where I did not leave a single tip. I took the whole change back.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

LOL. . .we think alike. . ..except I left 3 pesos. . . . .many dominicans don't tip so if you leave nothing they don't really notice as there is 10% added to each bill and that all gets divided by the service help.

3 pesos . . . . .and you are telling them that is what your service was worth. . . . . lol. . . . a DIME. . . . lol. . .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have discovered long ago that if you want to make a point, doing it through the amount you leave(or don't) as a tip is pointless. They simply don't get it.

They are working in an industry where the vast majority of customers do not leave tips. Even in upper class restaurants, tipping really isn't that common among the natives.

They all assume that the employees already receive the 10%, when in fact, most of the time, they do not.

If I get bad service somewhere, I tell the manager...or better yet, the owner, if he's around........ end of story.

The waiter does not have the mental preparation to understand why they've received a very small tip.

Hell, many times the manager and/or the owner don't understand your point either.

At least with the manager, you may receive a pleasantly surprise and be comped for another dinner or after dinner drink, something that no waiter can do..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have discovered long ago that if you want to make a point, doing it through the amount you leave(or don't) as a tip is pointless. They simply don't get it.

They are working in an industry where the vast majority of customers do not leave tips. Even in upper class restaurants, tipping really isn't that common among the natives.

They all assume that the employees already receive the 10%, when in fact, most of the time, they do not.

If I get bad service somewhere, I tell the manager...or better yet, the owner, if he's around........ end of story.

The waiter does not have the mental preparation to understand why they've received a very small tip.

Hell, many times the manager and/or the owner don't understand your point either.

At least with the manager, you may receive a pleasantly surprise and be comped for another dinner or after dinner drink, something that no waiter can do..

Interesting point MrHappy.

If the service (at a restaurant) was great, then what is the appropriate amount of tipping? For example, if I had dinner and the bill already included the 10% plus another 15% tax added, then how much should I tip? Or do I need not to tip at all?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I usually give another 10%, more or less, given directly and discreetly to the hand of the person who gave me the good service.

It can go a little more either way, depending on the bills I have available. I actually have a soft spot for good service people in restaurants, the good ones are so few and far between..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,406 Times in 78,293 Posts

I usually give another 10%, more or less, given directly and discreetly to the hand of the person who gave me the good service.

It can go a little more either way, depending on the bills I have available. I actually have a soft spot for good service people in restaurants, the good ones are so few and far between..

To only good service I ever get is at Baileys in Sosua and from Sonia at Rockies.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I also give around 10%. But only if the service was fast and excellent.

Thanks

I went here at around 2am. The place was packed.

The Strawberry juice was good. But the sandwich was so-so.

The sandwich took about 30 minutes to be prepared.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thread Information