Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 08/2010 - Spirit Airlines BIG SALES.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

Re: Spirit Airlines BIG SALES.

Quote Originally Posted by Pana View Post
    I wonder how long Spirt can continue to have these fare sales as the price of fuel keeps in increasing???
    WORD. CO/United and Delta went up already, AA's following http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=132414973

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foadi View Post
    I always book last minute. Judging from the bidding websites most people book a couple weeks in advance, some book a month or more in advance.

One thing I forgot to mention is bidding prices are seasonal, during the winter they will be higher in South Florida.

Winning bids for January in the FLL zone:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...=120810&hl=FLL

rejected at $50, accepted at $52, so good chance that will be the lowest bid for the next month or two.

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...=120792&hl=FLL

first bid was $55. probably could have gotten $52.

one thing worth pointing out, i thought hyatt place and hyatt summerfield suites were the only hotels accepting bids in this zone, but it looks like someone got the courtyard/marriott a couple months ago, so there's a slight chance you might end up getting that, although 99% of the bids go to hyatt brand hotels in that zone

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...=117089&hl=FLL

it's always worth checking the bidding forums beforehand to see what the market is. looks like i could have gotten it for $40-44 if i had checked the forums. Usually I'll just do a blind bid at $45 since thats the industry standard for 3 star airport hotels on priceline.
    It would be a shame to get a hotel with no free airport shuttle, therefore, paying your own way back and forth to the hotel. No way to at least guarantee a SHUTTLE??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    It would be a shame to get a hotel with no free airport shuttle, therefore, paying your own way back and forth to the hotel. No way to at least guarantee a SHUTTLE??
    all three of the participating 3* hotels offer free airport shuttle service.

http://www.fortlauderdaleairportsout...lace/index.jsp

http://www.fortlauderdaleairportsout...ield/index.jsp

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...d-cruise-port/

the participating 3 1/2* hotel (sheraton) also has free airport pickup/dropoff - but it's a more expensive bid at $55-60 and they usually charge for internet and breakfast so i avoid them like the plague

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US

but no, there are no guarantees with opaque travel inventory, only educated guesses. i woudln't expect any surprises, although they are possible. i live in hotels and travel constantly for work so i have to use priceline a lot. i'd say 75% of the time i know exactly what i'll be getting and 23% of the time i'll have a list of potential winning bids. only around 1 in 50 bids will i be surprised, and honestly it's usually for the better (like bidding $35-40 and getting an embassy suites or residence inn ... happens occasionally).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foadi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,076 Posts

There is no way Spirit can keep those low prices with the price of oil rising each day, the other major airlines started raining there prices

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    WORD. CO/United and Delta went up already, AA's following http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=132414973

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,889 Posts

There is no way Spirit can keep those low prices with the price of oil rising each day, the other major airlines started raining there prices

The prices may go up a bit but majority of the cost increase from these airlines don't have much to do with the gas prices. Notice how when gas rises prices rise but when gas drop prices don't. Spirit is a niche market airline and can't be compared to AA,Delta, and Continental. They have a far lower overhead and niche market (the international traveler0 and can afford to keep the customer happy and not get greedy. I think they know. I'm not surprised that gas is going to hit $5. It's been high in Europe forever. That's why I drive my 4 cylinder manual Honda instead of my V8 Chrysler 300.
    "The Royal Penis is Clean Your Majesty"

"No cushion for the pushin, no peso for the queso"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to princepointe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Their prices to Montego Bay, Jamaica MBJ this winter are the lowest I've ever seen.
    I don't understand how they can do this and still make money.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    Their prices to Montego Bay, Jamaica MBJ this winter are the lowest I've ever seen.
    I don't understand how they can do this and still make money.

A full plane is better than an empty plane and transporting cargo pays very well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are 150 seats on a plane. At $252, I may go 5 times to Colombia. At $752, I am not going to Colombia at all.

Empty planes lose money.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor JDR of Medellin View Post
    There are 150 seats on a plane. At $252, I may go 5 times to Colombia. At $752, I am not going to Colombia at all.

Empty planes lose money.
    But also remember that not all 150 passengers are paying $252. In fact, i'd guess maybe a small percentage. The other passengers are paying closer to regular fare.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

But also remember that not all 150 passengers are paying $252. In fact, i'd guess maybe a small percentage. The other passengers are paying closer to regular fare.

Many guys like you and me are always shopping for our fares. If the bottom fare to Medellin was $900, then I would just stay home.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor JDR of Medellin View Post
    Many guys like you and me are always shopping for our fares. If the bottom fare to Medellin was $900, then I would just stay home.
    I guess we will just ride it out until the wheels fall off because i don't see many other discount options other than Spirit.

So maybe by the end of 2011, Senor JDR of Medellin will return back to JimmyDr.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I guess we will just ride it out until the wheels fall off because i don't see many other discount options other than Sprint.

So maybe by the end of 2011, Senor JDR of Medellin will return back to JimmyDr.

Maybe Senor JDR will call it a wrap and get stateside action.

I am done with the "begging"

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foadi View Post
    all three of the participating 3* hotels offer free airport shuttle service.

http://www.fortlauderdaleairportsout...lace/index.jsp

http://www.fortlauderdaleairportsout...ield/index.jsp

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...d-cruise-port/

the participating 3 1/2* hotel (sheraton) also has free airport pickup/dropoff - but it's a more expensive bid at $55-60 and they usually charge for internet and breakfast so i avoid them like the plague

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US

but no, there are no guarantees with opaque travel inventory, only educated guesses. i woudln't expect any surprises, although they are possible. i live in hotels and travel constantly for work so i have to use priceline a lot. i'd say 75% of the time i know exactly what i'll be getting and 23% of the time i'll have a list of potential winning bids. only around 1 in 50 bids will i be surprised, and honestly it's usually for the better (like bidding $35-40 and getting an embassy suites or residence inn ... happens occasionally).
    Keep in mind the airport shuttles run from 5am - 12am.

This will do us New Yorker's no good since the late flight arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 12am.

And the early return to New York leaves at 5am.

So be prepared to pay $20 each way for a taxi.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Just book LGA TO MDE ON SPIRIT for March dates! Got my free spirit master card with 5000 miles plus got in on the bogo offer, extra 5000 miles for a flight after 5/11. As well as 5000 miles for ordering a case of wine last month, thanks to this thread!!! looks like I will be using spirit atleast once more this year. Only down side seems to be the flight times. ALSO FIRST TIMERS BEWARE OF THE SEAT ASSIGNMENT CHARGE. you can skip that step and not be charge extra!
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgunzbxxx View Post
    Just book LGA TO MDE ON SPIRIT for March dates! Got my free spirit master card with 5000 miles plus got in on the bogo offer, extra 5000 miles for a flight after 5/11. As well as 5000 miles for ordering a case of wine last month, thanks to this thread!!! looks like I will be using spirit atleast once more this year. Only down side seems to be the flight times. ALSO FIRST TIMERS BEWARE OF THE SEAT ASSIGNMENT CHARGE. you can skip that step and not be charge extra!

I already bought two tickets at $252 and will add another next week. That card really helps.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 668 Posts

I just got the approval notice today.. WTF? My credit score is close to 800 and they did not give me the ONYX card.. Stupid Platinum card.. so 5,000 instead of 15,000 points. I'm half tempted to just cancel it when it arrives but I do want to call and ask them first what the deal is. Does anyone know the criteria for the ONYX card?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talis View Post
    I just got the approval notice today.. WTF? My credit score is close to 800 and they did not give me the ONYX card.. Stupid Platinum card.. so 5,000 instead of 15,000 points. I'm half tempted to just cancel it when it arrives but I do want to call and ask them first what the deal is. Does anyone know the criteria for the ONYX card?

It doesn't matter really, just charge and you get the $9 club free and if you are going to Medellin, its as low as $252 RT.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    It doesn't matter really, just charge and you get the $9 club free and if you are going to Medellin, its as low as $252 RT.
    except I get 5,000 instead of the 15,000 .. feels a little like bait and switch.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talis View Post
    except I get 5,000 instead of the 15,000 .. feels a little like bait and switch.

I wouldn't worry about the 10,000. I was more concerned with saving $200 per flight.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 358 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the 10,000. I was more concerned with saving $200 per flight.
    Hey Jimmy, what bank issued the Spirit MC? Thanks
    I have too many cards as it is...so if it's a bank I'm already dealing with, I'll probably pass and pay the $9 fare club fee

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bhutto,BhuttoGolly For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information