Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sosua to Cabarete?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 102 Posts

Sosua to Cabarete?

I am planning on spending a day in Cabaerete on my next trip down next month, What is the best way to get to Cabarete, spend the day or half a day there, and then catch a ride back to Sosua (NG)?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krafty1 For This Useful Post:

TC

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Re: Sosua to Cabarete?

Guagua, taxi publico or a normal taxi. Varying prices from 15-20 pesos to 300-500 at the other end.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Ap. Is there a place to find the cabs? I don;t even remember seeing them while I was down there. Of course my mind and eyes were on other things.

I saw plenty of motoconchos but no cabs'

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

There r a lot of taxis outside of the NG hotel and some on the strip. Most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by krafty1 View Post
    Thanks Ap. Is there a place to find the cabs? I don;t even remember seeing them while I was down there. Of course my mind and eyes were on other things.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,720 Times in 3,243 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    There r a lot of taxis outside of the NG hotel and some on the strip. Most of the day.
    You want public taxis not tourist taxis. You will get ripped off.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Señor Jimmy of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Taxis:

there is a regular/tourist taxi stand at the corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr. Rosen, across the street from el flow.

I would take a publico from the well signed parada just across the highway from the Texaco station. Much cheaper.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Perfect, thanks. Yeah, I knew about the guys outside NG, just wasnt planning on paying $20 dollars each way like going to the airport.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to krafty1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...063#post816063

see post # 6 ....
    jesus Taxi service..... good rates...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

I usually talk to 1 of the taxi drivers on the block of the NG hotel and get in good with them. When I am ready to go some place I tell them what I want to pay in pesos and they will accept it no problem. Same thing for when I am going to POP airport. No way I am paying 20 for a taxi ride to the airport.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 320 Posts

How often do the publicos come and how late do they run?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to macula For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmackulate View Post
    How often do the publicos come and how late do they run?
    They run 24 hours a day. They wait for a full load before they leave the base. You can buy up all open seats.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Señor Jimmy of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Would you suggest riding them at night (maybe between 8-11)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmackulate View Post
    Would you suggest riding them at night (maybe between 8-11)?
    I rode them at 3 in the morning.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Señor Jimmy of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Jimmy of Medellin View Post
    I rode them at 3 in the morning.
    Cool. I can factor this into my budget. Only four more months.

Oh, my mistake I was confusing the publicos with the guaguas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krafty1 View Post

walk out the gate of new garden hang a left....continue down street to the intersection.....DO NOT GO to the taxi stand acrossthe street (crooks)....continue to the main highway there is a building across the road....public taxi stand....you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos.... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP....the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Caberate...get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    ... continue to the main highway there is a building across the road ... public taxi stand ... you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos ... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP ... the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Cabarete ... get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach ...
    Good to see you recommending the publicos. Guys here know I have made it my mission to divert people away from the private taxi crooks to public transport (publicos and guaguas).

Just to clarify a few points:

The paradas (taxi ranks) for Puerto Plata and Cabarete are actually separate (although adjacent). If you wait at the Puerto Plata one (which is the one with the shallow curved roof) you will die of old age before you ever see Cabarete.

Cabarete is not necessarily "first stop". Neither publicos and guaguas have set stopping places. They will stop wherever you ask them to. Make sure you leave your instruction to stop until the very last moment (Dominican style). This allows the driver to show off his skill at braking, and if he can startle a few pedestrians, carve up a couple of other vehicles, and shake up his own passengers he will enjoy it even more.

If you do the polite thing and warn him 100 metres in advance you will have 90 metres to walk.

Most publicos in that direction just run between Sosúa and Cabarete. Only a few go on to Nagua as passengers are thin on the ground beyond Cabarete.

Another option is the Rio San Juan guagua if one happens to come along before you have settled into your publico seat. They come in various sizes and colors but most are white people-carrying vans and all have this distinctive white band with red lettering at top of the windshield:

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 358 Posts

walk out the gate of new garden hang a left....continue down street to the intersection.....DO NOT GO to the taxi stand acrossthe street (crooks)....continue to the main highway there is a building across the road....public taxi stand....you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos.... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP....the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Caberate...get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach...
    Or, you cqn cram in the back for like 25 pesos- have your coins ready.
    It was 30 at night- I think more because it was late?
    So, yeah a "publico" is a shared taxi. Small cars like Toyota Corollas usually

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bhutto,BhuttoGolly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Good to see you recommending the publicos. Guys here know I have made it my mission to divert people away from the private taxi crooks to public transport (publicos and guaguas).

Just to clarify a few points:

The paradas (taxi ranks) for Puerto Plata and Cabarete are actually separate (although adjacent). If you wait at the Puerto Plata one (which is the one with the shallow curved roof) you will die of old age before you ever see Cabarete.

Cabarete is not necessarily "first stop". Neither publicos and guaguas have set stopping places. They will stop wherever you ask them to. Make sure you leave your instruction to stop until the very last moment (Dominican style). This allows the driver to show off his skill at braking, and if he can startle a few pedestrians, carve up a couple of other vehicles, and shake up his own passengers he will enjoy it even more.

If you do the polite thing and warn him 100 metres in advance you will have 90 metres to walk.

Most publicos in that direction just run between Sosúa and Cabarete. Only a few go on to Nagua as passengers are thin on the ground beyond Cabarete.

Another option is the Rio San Juan guagua if one happens to come along before you have settled into your publico seat. They come in various sizes and colors but most are white people-carrying vans and all have this distinctive white band with red lettering at top of the windshield:

Click to see pic

I take the publicos from Sousa to Rio San Juan ...whenever I go golfing at Playa Grande ....its a must during my trips... the first time I did this it cost me $55 US return( private taxi)... now its 50 pesos for the front seat & 20 pesos for the guagua to take me the rest of the way to the golf course each way .....140 pesos total= less than $4 US... there is always room for my golf clubs...

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

I take the publicos from Sousa to Rio San Juan ...whenever I go golfing at Playa Grande ....its a must during my trips... the first time I did this it cost me $55 US return( private taxi)... now its 50 pesos for the front seat & 20 pesos for the guagua to take me the rest of the way to the golf course each way .....140 pesos total= less than $4 US... there is always room for my golf clubs...
    A chica I was with on a trip also showed me that if you want to travel in an uncrowded publico or you wanted just to be more comfortable (they tend to pack the car sometimes) you could pay for an extra seat. It still beats taking a private ride.

I'm also discovering that you could easily arrange for one of them to take you to the airport if you give them a heads up notice regarding time and all. Could make your trip to the airport anywhere from 300 to 600 pesos. Just a thought.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagnum View Post
    I'm also discovering that you could easily arrange for one of them to take you to the airport if you give them a heads up notice regarding time and all. Could make your trip to the airport anywhere from 300 to 600 pesos. Just a thought.
    Shouldn't be more than 300 as they will take you to Puerto Plata, which is three times the distance, for 400/500.

However I don't think publicos are allowed all the way into the airport. Whenever I have been on one they have always stopped at the barrier, leaving the passenger a five-minute walk to the terminal itself. Can anyone clarify this point?

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information