Thread: A day in the DR life of the Sage

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Re: A day in the DR life of the Sage

Great posts man.. true stories!

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Damn man... If only i had the desire to read right now... Im lookin for pics!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

small wave of sadness washes over me. The woman she was referring to is the deceased novia, of one of my amigos, who had been killed in an auto accident some months before. The wife, he, I, she, and MisterNYC had all gone out to dinner together at the Playa Dorado buffet. The novia who didn’t carry much weight had eaten the most food out of the five of us. The wife laughing at the memory shares this as we make a right turn cross the bridge and head into the barrio.
    Hell, I remember J. in Jarabacoa....that girl could eat and eat and eat!!!
    It was like she was trying to eat to have enough in her for the whole year!!
    El Hijo del Santo, El deseo de las mujeres, La enviada de los hombres, Polvo por el pueblo, Piedras por las ninas, Libertad por los Capos, La esperanza de Sosua, El Sindico de tu vida!!

Thanks

You are a writing fool brother (I mean that in a good way).

I"m a writer by profession and I have never even attempted to put it down like you.

I use the K.I.S.S. method on this board. I enjoy reading your reports though (not gonna lie...I still haven't read them all....also scrolling for pics)

Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage
    I chose and we proceed to watch “City of God” which is to me what “Scarface” is to a lot of folks. I just love how the story is told, the editing is absolutely fabulous, and the cinematography outstanding. I completely enjoy the transformation of Benny from murderous hood into tragic folk hero. LJ keeps pointing at scenes in the fevala saying that’s here, that’s here.
    I enjoy City of God, but not sure if I would compare it to Scarface, CoG is about someone getting a chance at a real life whereas Scarface is about someone who had a good life and pissed it away because "You don't get high on your own supply!".

A bit of trivia for you about the cinematography, the guy who plays Rocket actually holds the film camera at the end, when he is taking pictures of Little Ze. Since he was "taking" pictures then too.

Also not to hurt your girl's feelings but there is nothing like the City of God favela in the DR.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Sunday morning…….

I awake fully rested and with an overwhelming desire to see the wife. I had enjoyed the prior evening and acquired useful information; however, in retrospect the benefits paled in relation to the guilt I was now experiencing. The plan today is to check out of the apartment and drive to POP to say goodbye. My best guess of the time, based purely on the amount of the sunlight filling the room, is around 8:00 am. I decide to ask the wife to take the carrita to Sosua. I’ll pack while she’s in transit giving us more time for a trip ending love making session. Bueno, now all I need do is get rid of Mildred.

I look down towards my shoulder. Mildred is seemingly sleeping in the space between it and my calf. Even today I can’t tell you how tall she is. In recollection, outside of her time in the bed, she had never taken off the 4 inch platform shoes she was wearing. Sensing me awake she decides it’s time to go. She climbs off the foot of the bed, steps into her shoes, which were conveniently placed there, and heads to the bano. I begin packing while waiting for her to get dressed.

Fifteen minutes later she reappears fully clothed. I’m stealing sidelong glances at her trying to gauge her mood. She’s smiling and seems pleasant enough. We share a little playful banter. I’m a bit on edge not knowing how she will react to the sharply reduced propina. She goes to the hallway mirror to put the finishing touches on her appearance. I place the deniro on the dresser. She returns sees it, picks it up and then drops it back down. I brace for her reaction while comforting my nerves with the thought she’s too tiny to have ever developed a temper. This proves to be the case. She’s complaining with a small smile on her face. Okay I’m home free. All that’s left is to listen until she has decided I’ve gotten a sufficient earful. “Quiero mas deniro”. “Dame mas toto tu puede tenar mas deniro” We go back and forth and it turns into a little game. I know and she knows that there’s no fuckin way she’s going another round with me. After about 10 minutes she’s out of gas and just about ready. Unfortunately she spots my travel iron. She now wants it as an additional propina. I offer to sell it to her for 500 pesos. To which she basically replies, “That’s the problem with black guys. White guys always give gifts”. I retort that if she wants the iron she will have to pay for it. We take another 10 minutes to work this through. She finally concedes and heads out the door.

For what ever reason I had hoped to get Mildred out of the apartment before La Perra Alamana started work. It was now after 9:00 so the prospect of that is slim. I walk her down to retrieve her cedula expecting a disdainful look from LPA. What she delivered was a big smile directed at Mildred as if she was her long lost friend. Either Mildred is well known here or LPA got laid the evening before and was communing with a fellow sister she thought had done the same. Thankful for one less piece of drama I head back upstairs and call the wife. She produces her trademark shriek and promises to be in Sosua within an hour. A half hour later T stops by. He’s headed to the small store near Super Super to purchase a phone card. Having time to kill I agree to tag along.

I turn into the store and who’s there paying for her stuff, but another ex (I think it’s the money because it’s definitely not the good looks). We exchange pleasantries and she asks do I still have her number and if so, why have I not called her. I pull out the razr, page to her name, and she confirms the number is correct. Being that she is now married I ask why I should call her. Her eyes light up (she has the most wonderfully colored eyes) accompanied by a big smile. We both know what’s up. I smile back.

Backstory

How we got to this point is kind of funny. A few trips back she requests a private conversation at the apartment. Once there she proceeds to tell me that this is my last chance and if I don’t agree to her demands we are finished. This comes as a small surprise because I didn’t know we had started. To me this is just another in a series of attempts to have me agree to be her novio. She’d been at it for a couple of trips now so I view this in the same vein, but with a little more drama. I don’t acquiesce. She gathers up her stuff and splits. I see her next trip. We’re having a drink at one of the local spots. I suggest we seek a somewhat more private location. That’s when she shows me the ring. Yes, in the two months it took me to return she’s married one of the local expats. I’m flabbergasted. When she gave me the ultimatum she was perfectly serious. You got to love this kind of melodrama.

T and I exit the store, still no sign of the wife. I need to check the status of my flight so I’m dragging along the laptop. Figuring the wife somehow got delayed I suggest to T that we visit Scott’s for breakfast. The NYC crew and their dates from the night before are occupying most of the tables. We sit down and I fire up the laptop. Before Windows can startup, the phone rings. It’s the wife waiting at La Bomba for pickup. I leave the laptop in the care of T and exit with the intention of collecting her. However, soon out the door I realize the truck is a block down the street and it’s parked in the opposite direction. I calculate it’s much easier for the wife to take a moto than for me to walk a block, turn the truck around, then drive to pick her up. I call to ask her to do just this. She hesitates somewhat which surprises me. She’s no prima dona so it would be strange for her to not want to take a moto. She says she’ll be there soon and hangs up the phone. I don’t have time to concentrate on her strange reticence regarding my request because to my left the ex I had met earlier is 100 ft away and headed towards me and has somehow acquired one of the local toddlers. Their pace is such that I estimate she and the wife will intersect my spot at exactly the same moment in time. It’s not that I have a problem with her seeing the wife. Shit, she’s married. My problem is that women do a lot of nonverbal communicating and I don’t want my morning ruined by a gesture or look that passes between them. In my mind I’m rushing the damn toddler along, but this only results in it finding some interesting object on the sidewalk. The ex is looking at me then looking at it, smiling, while I’m churning stress hormones. The tension is broken when my small antagonist decides it’s time to break into a run. With the threat pass me I look down the street for the wife.

There are two motos with passengers headed my way. The first contains a woman holding a baby. I’m thinking that can’t be the wife because the little one isn’t due back until Monday. In a flash it becomes obvious that I’m mistaken.

Little D

Up to this point the baby had existed almost exclusively as background noise to our phone conversations. Most of the time he was crying, but had recently started to contribute laughing and happy gurgling noises. I had met him once three months ago. I did not know I was going to meet him and only found out after the wife had directed me past her home and half-way to Costombar before revealing (she knew how I felt about babies in cars sin infant seats) we had to pick him up at the sitter. At the time he was in that not much fun 3 month old stage. Since then I had avoided him like a successfully discarded addiction because, as I mentioned earlier, I have a soft spot for little ones. I started calling him D peuqueno (Little D) after deeming his name (which starts with a D and consists of two syllables), at least to my ears, incomprehensible. Now here he was in front of me at that very playful and lovable 6 month old stage held precariously by the wife on the back of a moto.

I take Little D from her while delivering a stern look (we just don’t take those kinds of chances with babies in my part of the world). She shrugs, pays the moto, gathers the diaper bag and we walk into Scott’s. As I shared earlier the place is full of people and now they are all looking at me. A big guy who had been sitting behind me before I left looks up with wonder in his eyes and asks me is that our baby. I respond in the negative, but by this time have passed into proud poppa mode (I have two sons so this means simply re-inhabiting a role I’ve never really abandoned). We sit down. I start playing with the little one, the wife is sitting there looking like the perfect young mother, and then every damn woman in the room wants to play with little D. They’re passing him around, tossing him in the air, and tickling him. The wife is laughing, simply feeling the love. I on the other hand am fighting down a compulsion to stand up and yell “don’t kiss the fucking baby”. Who knows what these chicks where doing with their mouths an hour ago. Finally after what to me seems like forever he is returned. We eat our breakfast. For the entire time I’m holding the little one.

When breakfast is over we walk to the apartment. I have to finish packing and check out by 12:30. Having raised two kids and spent time with past girlfriends with small children I have no objection to having sex with a little one occupied in some safe location. However, the vibe I’m now feeling doesn’t involve sex. In a moment of clarity I understand that this place this island is no longer just a fantasy vacation destination. No, it has slowly and inexorably claimed a portion of my reality. It is as much my life as the one in the place I call home. I finish packing, do a photo shoot of the baby and proceed to check out. I got 2 hours to fill before my flight and nowhere other than the truck to place my valuables. The simplest and safest thing to do is to set up shop at Dominos and pass the time killing a couple of Presidentes. Though I’m enjoying the time with the wife and little one I don’t feel it appropriate to have him hanging out at a bar (who knows who might try to play with him) so I take them to the carrita stand for the ride back to POP. For the first time ever in all my trips I’m actually sad to see a woman leave. I’m looking at her hoping she doesn’t tear up because I can’t be sure I won’t join her. We kiss, share a big hug, and then her and little D are on their way back to POP.

Shaking off my unfamiliar visitor I drive over to Dominos. I’ve been looking for an opportunity all week to talk to the tall barkeep who is the younger sister of the other tall barkeep. Both work at the bar next to Dominos, the younger one in the afternoon and the older at night. The entire trip I had avoided the place like the plague which wasn’t at all an unfair description. The crew from NYC, though well behaved, were just a little too indiscriminate about who they were doing. As a result every marginal chica in the area had flocked to the Europa complex turning the front entrance of the hotel and the bars across the street into a summer scene reminiscent of a stateside housing project (amazingly Scotts place was unaffected). It had gotten so bad that your reputation with any decent (term used loosely here) domincana would have been forever soiled by simply being seen in the general vicinity.

Things had started to improve yesterday long enough for me to steal a visit to the bar and make my introduction. Today all's clear with only a couple of the regular expats killing time drinking. I shoot the breeze with N who is tall and fairly attractive at least until she parts her lips and reveals far too many teeth for such a small month. She has beautiful hair, long legs, and breasts that, based on the way she hunches her shoulders, are probably larger than they appear (large breasts are heavy to the point of often causing a mild curvature of the back). She fits exactly the open spot on the roster so I make my pitch. She claims to have a novio, but is friendly enough. We talk about various things. At one point I ask her to show me her legs saying they appear to be beautiful. She raises her pant leg and it’s obvious they are as shapely as they are long. I ask does she like wearing dresses. She responses yes and points to her mid-calf to indicate how long they typically are. I promise to bring her a dress when I return, but only if she will wear it with me to dinner. We then go on to talk about size and I explain that it will be much shorter than she’s accustomed to. I tell her I will stop by when I return, kiss her hand, say goodbye to T who had joined us while I was talking shit, and proceed to the airport. Can I say it again? I love this fucking country.

I get to the airport, return the rental, check in, and then go through my photos until we are instructed to board. Once seated, I call the wife, arrange for my accommodations for the next trip, and try to contact LJ (who does not pick up) to ask how the meeting had gone. Now it’s time to do what for me always signals the end of a trip. I switch out the sim card except this time I’m not returning to reality I’m simply leaving to inhabit the other part of my life.
    Last edited by The Sage; 08-15-2006 at 01:52 AM.

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

great report Sage...

This is life in the DR after a few trips.. no matter how hard you try, the reality does creep up on you, you do become part of the scene and it's impossible to keep everyone away emotionally..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    I enjoy City of God, but not sure if I would compare it to Scarface, CoG is about someone getting a chance at a real life whereas Scarface is about someone who had a good life and pissed it away because "You don't get high on your own supply!".

A bit of trivia for you about the cinematography, the guy who plays Rocket actually holds the film camera at the end, when he is taking pictures of Little Ze. Since he was "taking" pictures then too.

Also not to hurt your girl's feelings but there is nothing like the City of God favela in the DR.
    Thanks for your commentery DT. I think I enjoyed City of God more. Its based on a true story, and you can connect with the characters better. Scarface is an over the top update of the original. It flowed from DePalma's mind. It says alot about our society and is loaded with memorable scenes. The film often goes flat and is downright corny sometimes. Can you honestly say you give a shit what happens to any of the characters?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

Spectacular finish...

great Literary Report.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,303 Posts

Great read!!!!!!! The passion is evident in your writing
    Chicas....."Don't walk around like yo shit don't stink cause I'm DEPUTY DAWG I'll put yo booty in the KLINK!!!!!!"

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

pics...pics....pics

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this. I put this together over the last 6 days or so and it didn't start to flow until about post 5. The perfectionist in me wants to do the editing it so surely needs. I'll probably spend my time between now and the next trip polishing it until I have something I'm satisfied with. Don't worry I don't plan on reposting the revised version. It will be solely for my benefit. Over the next few days I'll post a few pics. Once again thanks for your comments and words of encouragement. As some of you may have concluded writing this has proven to be a truly cathartic experience.

17. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sage,

I truly enjoyed reading your trip report. I know the feeling of wanting to go back and rewrite it. I say go back and read it a week from now. Then start to chisel again, if you must.

Bravo,

JD

Thanks

Thumbs Up Re: A day in the DR life of the Sage

Sage great report . thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TG37 View Post
    Sage great report . thank you
    i second every one.great reporting
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Thankyou sage for the reporting....

Thanks

Much obliged hombre

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Sage,
    This is quite the literary tome.
    Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I enjoyed your insight on “the scene”.
    Hope to converse with you in person sometime.
    Erik

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    CORRECTION. I knew this shit was reading too good. The section below is actually part of Friday's action. My over stimulated just barely off of vacation brain got the time frames screwed up. Because of the early bar closing the days were shorter by about three hours. You didn't have that dead time between 9:00 and 12:30. Barely had time to visit the Casino after dinner. Basically dinner at 8:00, the Casino at 9:00, and Classico at 10:30. At midnight you were back to the crib. On those nights before the after hours spot I'd get home about 12:15 have a couple of drinks with my companion and then fall asleep. One memoriable night Joanna, more on her later, and I got drunk off about a half bottlle of 8 anos Bacardi and OJ. Joanna wants to go out to the pool at Club Residential, where I was staying, and have sex. I wasn't that drunk, but I did agree to go out on the balcony naked. We never got around to doing the do. All we accomplished was a lot of drunken laughter. Problem was my apartmnent overlooked the pool and was within earshot of the entrance. Our commotion on the balcony led to a knock on the door my both the guards. After that we simply passed on drunk. In the morning Joanna claims complete innocence saying she never ever would have asked to have sex in the pool. We got quite a laugh out of the entire experience.

All in all the curfew was not that bad. I'm glad I was there to experience it. Yes, the party ended early and on some nights that was a slight drag. However, since all of Sosua was now getting more sleep the days were energized. Chicas you never saw before 5:00 pm were now out at 1:00 or 2:00. Because of the limited time to hook up prices were somewhat lower than normal and for once you got a full TLN. You'd think with all the hours to sleep the girls would be trying to escape at 7:00 am, but the exact opposite was happening, from what I saw and heard they were staying until mid morning. I'd like to see a hour later closing time, 1:00 am Sun - Thurs and 3:00 am on Friday/Saturday. My gut feeling is things will go back to normal within the next month because the police/miliatary won't have the energy to inforce the regulation. Other than Politur most of those suckers seem to quit work as soon as the sun goes down.

In my next post I will insert Thursday nights events and layout Friday in more detail.

I agree with you. I wish the government would extend the time by an extra hour.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Thursday amended:

After another great session of morning sex with the wife we get dressed and head to Rocky's with T. I'm dragging the laptop because I got emails to check. Nothing worse than getting back to work after a week off to be greeted by 300 emails. To avoid this I go in every other day to clean out as much as I can. We chill in Rocky's for a couple of hours. T jokingly asked the wife if she's okay with he and I going out without her tonight and she replys not problem. I note that she's alright with it because I had paid her off and we all get a big laugh out of this. T heads off back to his place and I take the wife to the carrita stand for her ride back to POP. We agree to hook up tomorrow night. She wants me to attend her promotion celebration for her english class Friday evening. I really don't want to go, but agree to show up late, take her to Aquaceros for a celebratory dinner then hit Magus. I really should be going because her attendance at the affair has cost me 1,000 pesos. We kiss and she's off.

T and I hook up about an hour later and have lunch at Susana's. There was a time where I ate almost exclusively at Morui Mai and places of that type. Now I look forward to my almost daily meal at Susana's. I only eat the abutalas,arroz blanco y pollo. In english this is beans, white rice, and chicken. The chicken is cooked boiled in a tomato based sauce. I absolutely love this shit and can eat it my whole trip with the addition of a couple of nights of the chicken breast sandwich at Baily's, at least one meal of the garlic shrimp from La Casitas in Cabarete, and the fraitas from Aquaceros in POP. We finish our meal and head to Passions (See O.P. for that adventure). After Passions we agree to head into POP to visit the casas.

We arrive at Crystals at 9:30. Two days earlier I had stopped by during the day and where what was once Long Beach was a massive pile of rubble and a lot of unhappy people. Now the entire area had been cleared out. We entered Crytals and the place was packed with chicas as it normally is at 11:30. Typically I can go in there sit at the bar and only one or two girls will approach me. To be honest that's just how I like it. Now I'm with my white buddy and we are mobbed. They are all over us to the point where I am keenly aware of my pockets. Out of all those chicks not one is worth taking. After a couple of over priced beers we escape and head to Bohen.

As we climb the uneven stairs I think back to all the times I've spent in this place. There was one time when the Swede and I would do 9 out of 10 nights of take out from here. I've met some absolutely great chicas in this place and had some great times. Six to seven of us use to hit the place in Jesus's or Danielo's cab and leave with six or seven chicas. 14 drunk passengers all headed back to the Palace. Those where the days. T and I walk in. I'm greeted by one of the veterans who has been there the entire four years of my experience with the place. There are about 10 girls there. We take a seat. All of a sudden they seem to start coming out of the wood work. There are now at least 20 and 4 or 5 of them are doable. We sit down order an grande and watch the passing parade. Vicki, Ani's little sister, comes up to say hello. I always have fun with her. We spent a few nights together about 3years ago. She claims I make her work too hard and has refused to go with me since. She tells me she has a freka for me who she thinks can give me a run for my money. She brings this 5'3" caramel honey over and sits her in front of me. The girl is cute. Looks barely over 18. Has a nice body, but I'm tripping off the hair. I despise extentions. I'm about ready to send her off and then I take a good look at her. This child is fine with a cute pixie face and a tight little body that won't quit. I look down at the feet and she has on a two inch high (I hate those 4-5 inch hooker heels) tie up sandle. Her feet and ankles were beautiful. You may have read elsewhere that I'm a foot man. Okay I'm sold. First though I got to talk to Ralphie the manager. He wants 1,200. I plead long time customer and he agrees to 800. That taken care of I start my negotiation. I ask how much. She says 4. I say 3,000 and she must stay until 11:00 am. She walks off and comes back 5 minutes later with a counter, 3,500 and 9:00 am. I say 3,000 and 11:00 am. She walks off and has a conversation with Vicki. She comes back and agrees to both my conditions. We go to the bar and pay. She heads off to get dressed and I start fantasizing. My buddy T is ribbing me about spending $115. Personally I don't care. I want this little freka. She carrying a seal of approval from some one I trust and I am in love with those feet and that body. She lingers downstairs in the room way too long. Finally she comes up looking great, but with a frown on her face. She stops at the bar and has a short conversation with Vicki. I go over to see if there is a problem. Yes, there is a very messy problem. She has come down on her period. I tell Ralphie. He gives me my money back. I tell the little one I'll see her next trip. I'm a little disappointed, I was looking forward to this, but now am $115 richer. As it turns out it was all for the better. The adventure with Jennifer (see O.P.) was priceless.
    I agree with you. "Never go out with a girl who is on her period."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information