Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 09/2010 - Would you do it again.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

09/2010 - Would you do it again.

To all the guys that have made the move to DR, Columbia, Brazil, Thailand etc; would you do it again if you could go back in time? Or would you move to a different part of the country or to different country all together.

Robert you can't answer, you are still on your Ho-neymoon.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Re: Would you do it again.

Good question.

Or would you not move at all? Is your money holding out OK? Do you miss any family left behind? How often do you go back home?
    If she is alive, she will fuck.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Good question.

Or would you not move at all? Is your money holding out OK? Do you miss any family left behind? How often do you go back home?
    Thanks Tiger for adding those questions. Would like to hear from the guys that have been in country for at least a year.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

4 yrs in the DR north and yes would move here with no problem again. To travel within this country is amazing, especially when you get to learn a new culture, language, and the process in how things are done in a third world country. The main success for anyone living here as I see it is to have a purpose and a budget whether you rent or own. I learned very quickly that I couldn’t live here as tourist, and at the same time I couldn’t save or change every local I crossed paths with. The locals see me more often and I try to use that to my advantage as much as possible as it make living here much more rewarding. Especially when it comes to chicas and getting pussy from all areas in the DR, as well as local business owners that will help in getting goods that I need to buy. I’ve had no problem in having a budget with my expenses as I make sure I get a local price, whether it’s food, clothing, and especially for pussy. In fact, my monthly expenses have only increased by 10% from the 1st yr I moved here when you include the movement in the exchange rate vs. the US. . The most expensive cost here for me is gasoline compared to back home, but having a car is such an advantage with what you can experience here. Believe me when I tell you this is one big fucking country, and the chicas are less expensive and are more available in areas where only the locals go for pussy. Family and friends will always be an issue, but I make a trip a yr. back home for family, and have several friends visit here and that’s been fine. As far as being anywhere else here in the DR, I’d probably choose POP or Santiago. But I would only do this after getting my feet wet with the culture and the language as I’ve done in the Sosua area. As I didn’t know 90% when I arrived here of how things are done, as well as how locals would treat me, I’m certainly happy that I moved into an area that was dominated by gringos. While living here I’ve certainly been able to learn not to let the little things concern me in life as I did back home. But one thing hasn’t changed over the last 4 yrs for me is the concern I have in the drop off numbers of sex visitors that visit here and the impact it has. I’m not the local gringo who is shy about being in Sosua and POP 4-6nights a wk. and every colmado in between. When I see the lack of visitors at night and the domino affect it has on this economy, it does concern me. Especially when you consider that 99.5% of the sex trade in Sosua is done in an area that is less than the length of a football field and at the same time creates so many other jobs and opportunities for locals that I have come in contact with. But this concern of mine is for another tread, so I’ll say it for DMV again, and let the congregation say, Amen

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Hey Steve,

If you don't mind writing a bit more.

1. What was the hardest things to learn in your new environment? Biggest lessons learned...
    2. How long did you live there before the local started treating you different than the typical tourist?
    3. Would you ever live outside a gringo dominated area or would you recommend it?
    4. Do most of the X-pats tend to slow down to a steady chica/girlfriend and just dabble on the side.

Thx.
    Retired in 2009. **sniff***

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    To all the guys that have made the move to DR, Columbia, Brazil, Thailand etc; would you do it again if you could go back in time? Or would you move to a different part of the country or to different country all together.

Robert you can't answer, you are still on your Ho-neymoon.
    Ha ha.. what a question!!!
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Ha ha.. what a question!!!
    Com'on Mr. Happy. You've seen many changes. I know you could write a book (I wish you would), but give us some cliff notes.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

San Felipe de Puerto Plata, La Republica Dominicana
    Thanks

I just had my one year anniversary as a permanent resident of Puerto Plata. I have a limited income and have now spent all my savings in getting settled here, as planned. But it is much better to be rich man in a poor country than poor man in a rich country.

I bought a recent model small car and a nice house with pool and live with a sweet young Dominican woman. And I live on less money monthly than I used to pay in Canadian taxes and gas/electric bills. I still have my high definition satellite tv and high-speed internet, so don't feel like I've given up anything of importance, except 8 months of winter. I don't monger much (hardly at all) on my budget, but then I couldn't afford to do so in Canada either. And living with a young willing young woman makes up for that in spades . Far better than dating old fat gringas in Canada. The only downside is that I only see my son and grandson once a year.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, without thinking. But if my Spanish had been better I'd have liked to visit Ecuador and Columbia first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrierist View Post
    I still have my high definition satellite tv and high-speed internet, so don't feel like I've given up anything of importance, except 8 months of winter.
    Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, without thinking. But if my Spanish had been better I'd have liked to visit Ecuador and Columbia first.
    Congrats on your 1st yr!!!! Do you use one company for your internet and TV reception?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

San Felipe de Puerto Plata, La Republica Dominicana
    Thanks

Congrats on your 1st yr!!!! Do you use one company for your internet and TV reception?
    Thanks, DMV. The last year has been an adventure, but a good one.

To answer your question, high definition TV is not available here officially. So I subscribe to DishNetwork using a New York address. ClaroTV, SkyTV and digital cable are all available, though in standard definition. But I still like lots of English channels and High Definition, so I use a New York address to subscribe to DISH.

My internet uses DSN through Codetel. But there are cable and wireless internet vendors here too. It is getting competitive and service is improving. I have heard horror stories about Codetel historically, but my experience with them has been near perfect. This week Codetel upgraded me from 768 kb/s to 1.5 mb/s for no additional charge. It makes a big difference when downloading movies or streaming videos.

I use Orange for my cell phone. Claro generally has better service, but my house is in one of the rare locations where Claro's signal is blocked and Orange is better.

But if you want, you can get cell phone, land line, digital tv and internet all through Codetel (Claro), and get a bundled discount at that, just like in North America. It's a good deal if you are not a videophile. But for me, hdtv is an important part of my techno-geek lifestyle. It keeps me at home and living within my budget. Hockey (yes I'm Canadian) now seems barely watchable on regular definition tv...the puck is small and fast and the difference in HDTV is quite dramatic. These old eyes can use all the help they can get.

I'm not out drinking and mongering very often, and tend to stay at home with "mi esposa, el internet, y el televisor", but it's a wonderful place to live and I do enjoy the local festivities. For example, last weekend was a 3 day merengue festival in Puerto Plata at the site of the old fort. It was well organized, with good security, ambulances, etc. Admission was FREE. It was packed. It was fun. The music was fine. And the chica turnout was superb. You just need to remember that this is not Sosua, and that these are not "working" girls. Nevertheless, poverty speaks volumes and I did manage to meet a couple of young things and take their digits for future reference. I am fortunate that my Spanish is improving. It compensates for the decline in the "professional" chica scene here on the North Shore.
    Last edited by terrierist; 09-29-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling issues

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

This may sound like an oxymoron, but anyone planning to live the expat life better have some personal discipline. Paradise can and will consume you if you don't. Yes, you can have too much fun.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

To answer your question, high definition TV is not available here officially. So I subscribe to DishNetwork using a New York address. ClaroTV, SkyTV and digital cable are all available, though in standard definition. But I still like lots of English channels and High Definition, so I use a New York address to subscribe to DISH.

My internet uses DSN through Codetel. But there are cable and wireless internet vendors here too. It is getting competitive and service is improving. I have heard horror stories about Codetel historically, but my experience with them has been near perfect. This week Codetel upgraded me from 768 kb/s to 1.5 mb/s for no additional charge. It makes a big difference when downloading movies or streaming videos.

I use Orange for my cell phone. Claro generally has better service, but my house is in one of the rare locations where Claro's signal is blocked and Orange is better.

But if you want, you can get cell phone, land line, digital tv and internet all through Codetel (Claro), and get a bundled discount at that, just like in North America. It's a good deal if you are not a videophile. But for me, hdtv is an important part of my techno-geek lifestyle. It keeps me at home and living within my budget. Hockey (yes I'm Canadian) now seems barely watchable on regular definition tv...the puck is small and fast and the difference in HDTV is quite dramatic. These old eyes can use all the help they can get.

I'm not out drinking and mongering very often, and tend to stay at home with "mi esposa, el internet, y el televisor", but it's a wonderful place to live and I do enjoy the local festivities. For example, last weekend was a 3 day merengue festival in Puerto Plata at the site of the old fort. It was well organized, with good security, ambulances, etc. Admission was FREE. It was packed. It was fun. The music was fine. And the chica turnout was superb. You just need to remember that this is not Sosua, and that these are not "working" girls. Nevertheless, poverty speaks volumes and I did manage to meet a couple of young things and take their digits for future reference. I am fortunate that my Spanish is improving. It compensates for the decline in the "professional" chica scene here on the North Shore.
    Does not sound like a bad lifestyle.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    This may sound like an oxymoron, but anyone planning to live the expat life better have some personal discipline. Paradise can and will consume you if you don't. Yes, you can have too much fun.
    Why does that make me think of Apos Only kidding Darcy

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

If she is of age she's having sex... You don't always need a professional. Amateurs work well also.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

While all domincan women are not hoes I truly believe that 85% are only a family or personal emergency away from trading some snatch for cash. Sex just ain't the big deal it is for many of our first world females. It's simply another resource to be utilized in case of a financial emergency.

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

While all domincan women are not hoes I truly believe that 85% are only a family or personal emergency away from trading some snatch for cash. Sex just ain't the big deal it is for many of our first world females. It's simply another resource to be utilized in case of a financial emergency.
    I couldn't disagree more. Sex is not that big a deal, compared to the States or Canada, but to the majority of Dominicans selling your ass is not acceptable under any circumstances.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I want to clarify this. i'm not talking about indiscriminately selling sex on the street or in the club. What I'm talking about is a chick going to a friend who she knows, knows guys who like meeting "new girls" or a neighbor choosing to make her presence and availability known to you. Once you get over the initial hurdle your name gets put on their go to list when they need something. In my view this is the only way to operate if you were living on the island outside of monger central. Who needs putas when you got an unlimited number of regular girls in you potential pool of lovers.

32. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I want to clarify this. i'm not talking about indiscriminately selling sex on the street or in the club. What I'm talking about is a chick going to a friend who she knows, knows guys who like meeting "new girls" or a neighbor choosing to make her presence and availability known to you. Once you get over the initial hurdle your name gets put on their go to list when they need something. In my view this is the only way to operate if you were living on the island outside of monger central. Who needs putas when you got an unlimited number of regular girls in you potential pool of lovers.
    I understand what you are saying, but I still disagree. This is a very Catholic country for starters. Family is extremely important here, much more so than the states, and as such a families opinion matters much more also to a girl. I don't think you can overestimate that. I would ask how much time have you spent with Dominican families? With their extended families? Completely outside of tourist areas, where you don't see any other gringos? Certainly not trying to imply I know everything or more than you do. Just what my personal experiences and observations have been since coming here and now living here. As always, I could be wrong.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I have been here just over a year. Unlike Terrierist I haven't bought a property, and have no plans to do so. So I could always move to another country if things turned sour here. I have had a few problems and disappointments but nothing that has come close to making me regret moving here.

I have a few things going for me:

Firstly, being 70, I don't have to plan too far ahead (which makes the decision not to buy a property a no-brainer, for example, whereas a younger man might need to weigh that up more carefully).

Secondly, I am not an alcoholic and am ever less-likely to become one. I have seen that alcoholism is the main pitfall for ex-pats here.

Thirdly, at my age my sex drive is much reduced. This not only saves me money but makes it far less likely that I will make dumb decisions using the wrong head (another pitfall, second only to alcoholism). I don't actually believe in love between men and women and that helps too. (There is sex and there is friendship, and on rare occasions both together - parental love is a different issue).

Fourthly, I lived a simple life in England so there are no material things I miss too much here. (Would be nice to have a local soccer team to support but I might have to move to Haļti for that.)

Fifthly, although I have a daughter in England she is well able to support herself and cope with life's problems so I can focus all my attention on this disfunctional island.

Lastly, I have always been happy with my own company and am self-motivated. I meet a lot of ex-pats who aren't and they panic if they are alone for a day or two. This results in them going out in search of external stimulation and spending a lot more money than they can afford, and perhaps getting into further trouble with women or the police.

I could do with more of the discipline which Sage has wisely referred to. Before emigrating I was making good progress with Spanish and bragged that by the end of my first year here I would be speaking fairly fluently, if not necessarily correctly. In fact my Spanish is probably worse now than when I lived in England. From tomorrow I am going to discipline myself to study for an hour a day. I have all the materials I need and ten million Spanish speakers outside my door to practice on, so no more excuses.

I think anyone moving here needs at least one hobby or interest other than fucking and drinking. As most know, in my case I try to help out the local Haitian community but it is very hard to help people here. "No good deed goes unpunished" must have been written with this island in mind. But I am toughening up and getting more crafty at it.

My life is on hold at the moment as I waiting on two decisions which are out of my hands. Those issues should be resolved within a couple of weeks and then I can start on Year Two of my life here. It will be very different from Year One which, in many ways, was like a prolonged version of previous mongering holidays.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but I still disagree. This is a very Catholic country for starters. Family is extremely important here, much more so than the states, and as such a families opinion matters much more also to a girl. I don't think you can overestimate that. I would ask how much time have you spent with Dominican families? With their extended families? Completely outside of tourist areas, where you don't see any other gringos? Certainly not trying to imply I know everything or more than you do. Just what my personal experiences and observations have been since coming here and now living here. As always, I could be wrong.
    I have to agree with Sage. It is not just a question of sex with gringos. This is the situation between Dominicans. Female jobs are routinely advertised with the requirement that the applicants are "of good appearance". This may simply mean "not dark-skinned" but it may also signal that the applicant is expected to put out.

Secondly, I don't agree that this is a "very Catholic country". The ruling class is certainly truly Catholic but they are a small minority. Outside that Catholicism is only paid lip-service.

Most Dominicans we meet would consider themselves "Christians" but which they mean not Catholic but one or other half-assed Evangelical or Baptist sect, possibly with a good admixture of santerķa. Not that this affects the question of putting out as they are just or more likely to be puritanical than strict Catholics.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information