Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Socializing with the Policia in the DR? Good or bad?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Socializing with the Policia in the DR? Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    I can see no down side to meeting and becoming aquainted with the local constables. You never know when or if that may come in handy so I hope to meet many more like him.
    Robert posted this today and I honestly don't know what to think. I can see upsides and downsides. I guess it depends on the cop and, as we all know, relationships with Dominicans can turn sour very quickly and for tiny reasons.

What will you do, Robert, when he asks you to "loan" him RD$10000 for his daughter's eye operation (and this could well be a genuine need). If you give him the money you will be expected to cough up in future for every emergency. If you refuse, do you want to offend a cop? Once he has seen your posh house you cannot honestly say that you can't afford the money.

Certainly I would want to know any Dominican male very well before I invited them into my house.

Where I live, Billy's novia invites cops in for a beer and sometimes a meal and says it could come in useful to be on friendly terms. Billy, who has a lot of common sense experience of living down here, is less convinced. Mind you, he is paying for the beer!

The other factor is that just when you have established a real or presumed friendship, the cop may be transferred to a different town. They move them around an awful lot to try and prevent corruption, or more accurately, to make sure the proceeds of corruption are going to the right people.

What are the views and experiences of other ex-pats living in the DR?

I don't have an opinion myself, just kicking ideas around.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: Socializing with the pigs in the DR? Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Robert posted this today and I honestly don't know what to think. I can see upsides and downsides. I guess it depends on the cop and, as we all know, relationships with Dominicans can turn sour very quickly and for tiny reasons.

What will you do, Robert, when he asks you to "loan" him RD$10000 for his daughter's eye operation (and this could well be a genuine need). If you give him the money you will be expected to cough up in future for every emergency. If you refuse, do you want to offend a cop? Once he has seen your posh house you cannot honestly say that you can't afford the money.

Certainly I would want to know any Dominican male very well before I invited them into my house.

Where I live, Billy's novia invites cops in for a beer and sometimes a meal and says it could come in useful to be on friendly terms. Billy, who has a lot of common sense experience of living down here, is less convinced. Mind you, he is paying for the beer!

The other factor is that just when you have established a real or presumed friendship, the cop may be transferred to a different town. They move them around an awful lot to try and prevent corruption, or more accurately, to make sure the proceeds of corruption are going to the right people.

Valid points Sir Weyland. Everything here takes added consideration and needs to be thought out. Once that is done, then I listen to my gut because that is all we really have to go on. I have made a concious decision, unlike some ex-pats I have met here, to attempt to make in-roads into Dominican society as well as the gringo one. That may be a mistake or not. But it is what I have decided to do. Would love to hear from others that do, in fact, associate with Dominicans on a regular basis.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I listen to my gut.
    I was obliged to listen to your gut last time we dined together. I didn't notice it coming up with any particularly helpful advice.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

I know a few and they never asked for anything more than gas money over the years.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was obliged to listen to your gut last time we dined together. I didn't notice it coming up with any particularly helpful advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Some guy arrives from butfuck America and you think he knows anything about DR?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

But are you really comfortable living in a Country where you're uncomfortable befriending a Cop?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    But are you really comfortable living in a Country where you're uncomfortable befriending a Cop?

Being a petty criminal in England is not a positive thing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Some guy arrives from butfuck America and you think he knows anything about DR?
    Weyland is much smarter than that. Given his proclivity for water sports he was probably just hoping that he would get some sort of bodily fluids on him.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Just a question, Do the expats that move down there tend to stay in their own community, kinda the opposite of what immigrants do here in America? If that DR1 forum is good for anything maybe its good for answering this question.
    Last edited by hugrad95a; 10-03-2010 at 06:43 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    Just a question, Do the expat that move down there tend to stay in thier own community, kinda the opposite of what immigrants do here in America? If that DR1 forum is good for anything maybe its good for answering this question.
    History tells us that previously immigrants did stay, almost exclusively, in there own communities. Go to almost any city in America and there will be Italian neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods and on and on. When in a strange place or culture people tend to want to be with thier own because it provides a comfort level, shared experience, common langague and food. Unfortunately it has also always served to increase prejudice and suspicion between races and nationalities. As the US has spread out and nation wide transportation became easily available that has changed a great deal but those ethnic neighborhoods still exist.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

History tells us that previously immigrants did stay, almost exclusively, in there own communities. Go to almost any city in America and there will be Italian neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods and on and on. When in a strange place or culture people tend to want to be with their own because it provides a comfort level, shared experience, common language and food. Unfortunately it has also always served to increase prejudice and suspicion between races and nationalities. As the US has spread out and nation wide transportation became easily available that has changed a great deal but those ethnic neighborhoods still exist.
    I would not be all that comfortable living in an ex-pat community. Many immigrants come to the US for economic gain. Many ex-pat's are escaping criminal pasts!!

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    I would not be all that comfortable living in an ex-pat community. Many immigrants come to the US for economic gain. Many ex-pat's are escaping criminal pasts!!
    The problem is, in a Third World country, if you aren't living in an ex-pat community then you are living in a local community where proverty is rampant, services are usually much worse, housing is worse, security worse and you are a target. Unless you have the bankroll to live in very upscale local communities you have the lesser of two evils.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The problem is, in a Third World country, if you aren't living in an ex-pat community then you are living in a local community where proverty is rampant, services are usually much worse, housing is worse, security worse and you are a target. Unless you have the bankroll to live in very upscale local communities you have the lesser of two evils.

Robert have you had a chance to meet and speak with Derek of Big D's I'm sure he would be a great resource as he just doesn't live there he now runs two businesses there. I think that he mentioned the he lives in Caberete. Not just on this subject but among other things.

LOL Damn I really have to proof read what I type.
    Last edited by hugrad95a; 10-03-2010 at 08:39 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Robert I honestly think befriending cops in DR is similar to Princepointe wanting to befriend beach touts a few weeks ago. JMO

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    Robert have you had a chance to meet and speak with Derek of Big D's I'm sure he would be a great resource as he just doesn't live there he now runs two business there. I think that he mentioned the he lives in Caberete. Not this just on this subject but among other things.
    I did meet him once when he opend the restaurant in El Colibri but only to shake hands. Excellent idea and looking him up is now on my to do list.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Out of respect to the many U.S. police officers (more than you may think) on this site, i think the title of this thread needs to be changed.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I did meet him once when he opend the restaurant in El Colibri but only to shake hands. Excellent idea and looking him up is now on my to do list.
    He's a good dude and a wealth of information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8orBetter View Post
    Robert I honestly think befriending cops in DR is similar to Princepointe wanting to befriend beach touts a few weeks ago. JMO
    I understand what you are saying. The problem is no matter what people or section of society you mention, someone things it is a bad idea. As I said earlier I have decided to make what in-roads I can into the Dominican culture and society. That may turn out to be a bad choice but I am willing to take that risk because I think the rewards could be great. I know a lot of people will disagree and thats cool. I am trying to make my own adventure here in the manner I think I will enjoy most. If you listened to most people the only conclusion you could draw is that all the women are whores, all the men are lazy thieves, everyone is just lying in wait to fuck you and take advantage of you. That has not been my experience here so far. I will be the first to admit that my experience is extremely limited, especially when compared to everyone else that lives here, and I do listen to and greatly appreciate their insights. The people that do not live here I don't really pay any attention to in this particular area, even if they do seem to have such righteous opinions and talk with great certainty at times.

You pay your money and you take your chances.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Re: Socializing with the Policia in the DR? Good or bad?

The general adage here is to trust no-one even if or especially if they wear a uniform. (Nurses excluded)

I know and have known plenty of cops but only on a greeting and handshake basis.

Some have helped me out of the trickier situations that frequently arise and for that I am thankful.

I get waved through the regular check-points in Cabarete with a smile, unless it's those fuckers from G-2 Naval Intelligence but even those guys are cool now!!!!!

Would I invite any over to my house for dinner? Probably not.

No reason not to be friendly with them though.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information