Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Socializing with the Policia in the DR? Good or bad?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: Socializing with the Policia in the DR? Good or bad?

There you are, my exact contemporaries. I was programmed to use that offensive word at a young age. In fact, I was known as "The Fifth Beatle" until my hair starting falling out an early age.

For some of my rivals to that title see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_beatle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Yes, I heard that song growing up, although unlike you, Weyland, I was barely born when that Beatles song came out in 1968. That word was used in the 60s of course in the US, during the student protests, at places like Berkeley and Columbia, during the riots and student takeovers, when the police violently attacked nonviolent students on those, and other, university campuses. And it has since been used by many of us who do not have a great opinion of the police.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
    Yes, I heard that song growing up, although unlike you, Weyland, I was barely born when that Beatles song came out in 1968. That word was used in the 60s of course in the US, during the student protests, at places like Berkeley and Columbia, during the riots and student takeovers, when the police violently attacked nonviolent students on those, and other, university campuses. And it has since been used by many of us who do not have a great opinion of the police.
    You know where my sympathies lie but I am staying out of this one. Anyway I have Pi12586 to do my dirty work here nowadays.

WTF does "barely born" mean? Either you were born or you weren't. Unless you are like Robert13212 who still trails his umbilical cord around.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    There you are, my exact contemporaries. I was programmed to use that offensive word at a young age. In fact, I was known as "The Fifth Beatle" until my hair starting falling out an early age.

For some of my rivals to that title see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_beatle
    If you were known as the "Fifth Beetle" it could only have been in an Darwinism evolutional sense. I don't care when your hair started falling out.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

You know where my sympathies lie but I am staying out of this one. Anyway I have Pi12586 to do my dirty work here nowadays.

WTF does "barely born" mean? Either you were born or you weren't. Unless you are like Robert13212 who still trails his umbilical cord around.
    Come Weyland, this is your thread! You agree with Juan in Post#30 but yet you continue to encourage others.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Unfortunately that is not my imbilical cord

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

"Barely born" would mean "in diapers shortly after birth."
    "Barely alive" might mean "in diapers near death." (Something else entirely, but of course you know what I'm talking about.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Come Weyland, this is your thread! You agree with Juan in Post#30 but yet you continue to encourage others.
    I take exception to this being called "Weylands thread". I believe I had a hand in starting it as one of my posts was the reason for Weyland's impotence, I mean impudence. If Weyland is the messenger then I get to be the muse.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    I take exception to this being called "Weylands thread". I believe I had a hand in starting it as one of my posts was the reason for Weyland's impotence, I mean impudence. If Weyland is the messenger then I get to be the muse.
    Yes, i stand corrected. Perdon!

I just meant that he/you should control the direction of the thread so it won't need further moderation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Re: Socializing with the pigs in the DR? Good or bad?

Thanks for changing the title. I was out of order though I was just trying to be "hip" (maybe not my thing ).

But by "moving on" you gloss over the whole point of the thread, namely "Have the DR Police given us reason not to respect them?". If you are convinced we should respect them, then Robert is acting wisely. Do we all respect the DR police here?
    I disagree.

Giving someone their due respect, until they give you reason not to, has nothing to do with befriending them.

As a tourist, i don't have to make such decisions such as "would you befriend a DR cop". I just give everyone a handshake and keep it moving. With Robert living there, his thought process is completely different and he'll make whatever decision he feels is right for him.

Like Psriches however, i would never live permanently in a place where i needed to even make such a decision, but that's just me. Plenty others seem very happy with their move, including yourself (and Robert so far), and i'm happy for you guys.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
    "Barely born" would mean "in diapers shortly after birth."
    "Barely alive" might mean "in diapers near death." (Something else entirely, but of course you know what I'm talking about.)

Alright, KNOCK THAT SHIT OFF. Who do you think you are, picking on Weyland like that? I won't stand for it I tell you. There will be hell to pay. A pox upon your house. A thousand curses. I have to stand up for my grandfather. Blood is thicker than semen! (But it was kinda funny)
    Last edited by Seville; 10-04-2010 at 09:38 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

I assume that is yet another of your tired and unfunny references to me? If you think I have the same accent as Wicked Willie you are even deafer (or dumber) than I thought you were. I come from Surrey, God's Own County. I seem to remember Willie comes from some murky and indeterminate place in the Midlands?
    Whilst I agree all places in the Midlands are as you described you must have me confused, incredulously, with the Thunderstars who have the misfortune to reside there.

I, too, am from Surrey although I admit to being tainted by living in the US for many years.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Whilst I agree all places in the Midlands are as you described you must have me confused, incredulously, with the Thunderstars who have the misfortune to reside there.

I, too, am from Surrey although I admit to being tainted by living in the US for many years.
    Holy shit Weyland. I know fucked up British accents better than you do. My how the mighty have fallen. Thank you Willie for clearing that up for the "confused" senior citizen. Your apology is accepted Weyland. I bear you no ill will. And no sane woman on the planet would bear your child.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    The problem is, in a Third World country, if you aren't living in an ex-pat community then you are living in a local community where proverty is rampant, services are usually much worse, housing is worse, security worse and you are a target. Unless you have the bankroll to live in very upscale local communities you have the lesser of two evils.
    Speak for yourself. Not everyone is scraping by on a thousand a month.

As far as police are concerned, Willie is right on the money: "The general adage here is to trust no-one even if or especially if they wear a uniform. (Nurses excluded)

I know and have known plenty of cops but only on a greeting and handshake basis."

Most importantly, the quicker you learn to say "no" in a sympathetic manner, the better off you'll be. The more you say it, the easier it gets, and you'll find you get to the point that folks don't even ask.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

As far as police are concerned, Willie is right on the money: "The general adage here is to trust no-one even if or especially if they wear a uniform. (Nurses excluded)

I know and have known plenty of cops but only on a greeting and handshake basis."

Its funny, the guy lands and Sosua and thinks he knows the entire country.

Sosua is one voting district and there are 10,000 in DR.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,165 Posts

I wouldn't say if it is good or bad for you but any relationship where the 2 parties can't even communicate is obviously based on each wanting to use the other for some gain rather than friendship.
    Seems more akin to a gringo and puta hooking up rather than a buddy.

If I had a restaurant/bar, I would welcome the cops to drop by for a bite and drink once in a while.
    If I was just another person living there, I don't see why I would feel a need to invite them to my home for ulterior motives.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Si_Poppi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,333 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Si_Poppi View Post
    I wouldn't say if it is good or bad for you but any relationship where the 2 parties can't even communicate is obviously based on each wanting to use the other for some gain rather than friendship.
    Seems more akin to a gringo and puta hooking up rather than a buddy.

If I had a restaurant/bar, I would welcome the cops to drop by for a bite and drink once in a while.
    If I was just another person living there, I don't see why I would feel a need to invite them to my home for ulterior motives.
    I'm with Si Poppi on this ... only thing I might add is that to advance the "freindship" farther would risk invoking the old expression

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I wouldn't want a DR policia to have the inside track on my life if it ever came down to it ... far to easy for him to screw you over if he's already "inside" your life.
    You are not special!

She is not different than the others!

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kennilingus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

Most importantly, the quicker you learn to say "no" in a sympathetic manner, the better off you'll be. The more you say it, the easier it gets, and you'll find you get to the point that folks don't even ask.
    You are correct, and I stand corrected. I have been to nice and affordable neighborhoods in Santiago with great apartments; equal to or better than any in the states. Of course SDQ is the same. My problem is the tunnel vision I sometimes see things through because of my poor Spanish. I don't feel those areas are accessable for me yet because of the langauge barrier. But just because I don't feel they are accessable does not mean they don't exist. That is why you seasoned vets that live here are important.... to keep me seeing the whole picture. And I appreciate that. Just a quick slap on the back of the head should suffice from time to time.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

The DR is not Kansas... most crimes are undertaken with the (silent) agreemnet of the police and they share in the spoils afterwards.. i'd never associate with police who aren't family adn even then would meet them at their house not at mine..

If you need a rough description of Dominican cop, just look up Happy Jack from the gangs of New York: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004569/

33. The Following User Says Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike View Post
    The DR is not Kansas... most crimes are undertaken with the (silent) agreemnet of the police and they share in the spoils afterwards.. i'd never associate with police who aren't family adn even then would meet them at their house not at mine..

/

Have you ever been to Kansas?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information