Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help-Arriving in Santiago at 3:00am

Thanks

Question Need Help-Arriving in Santiago at 3:00am

I'm hoping I can get some help from those who travel from Santiago to Sosua.
    My flight arrives in Santiago at 3:00am. What are my options for getting to Sosua. I'll be solo and this will be my 1st flight into STI so I'm not really comfortble renting a car.
    Do the buses to Sosua run at that hour? What about finding a cheap hotel to crash at until the morning.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Need Help-Arriving in Santiago at 3:00am

Quote Originally Posted by BadJokes View Post
    I'm hoping I can get some help from those who travel from Santiago to Sosua.
    My flight arrives in Santiago at 3:00am. What are my options for getting to Sosua. I'll be solo and this will be my 1st flight into STI so I'm not really comfortble renting a car.
    Do the buses to Sosua run at that hour? What about finding a cheap hotel to crash at until the morning.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    You can take a taxi and may be able to negotiate a cheap rate that late with no traffic and they could be back before rush hour. Perhaps 40 or 50 bucks but more normally 70. You chose to fly there to save money on one of those cheap flights so think of it as the cost of the savings and getting in early.

You can go to a Cabana by the airport just ask the taxis there are many of them and get a room for cheap and wait for the buses that start in the morning if you want to really save money.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 506 Posts

why dont you just cab it?
    it's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to imrealareyou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

gonna be a least $70 to $100 in cab.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can go to a Cabana by the airport just ask the taxis there are many of them and get a room for cheap and wait for the buses that start in the morning if you want to really save money.

Any reccomendations on hotels or bus services. Do the tour bus companies have stands at the Airport?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BadJokes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

You can find a gringo on your plane going to Sosua . 3 gringos on the plane Xmas I asked each one where they were going? 2 were going to North Coast one POP one Sosua. I asked the Sosua bound guy Monte just by coincidence he was staying @ New Garden too so I caught ride with his driver.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Take a taxi to the Caribe Tours bus station. Frist bus leaves at 6 AM, I believe, for Sosua. When you get to Sosua take a moto, if you travel light or a taxi to where you are staying. Do not pay the asked for rate at the airport or in Sosua for a taxi! You should be able to get a taxi from the Airport for 500 - 600 pesos but you will have to stand firm. When in Sosua tell them 150 pesos, no mas. Simple math 150 pesos or no pesos.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I am told by a Novia who lives in Santiago, near the monument that METRO is the best bus company to take, I think they start running at approx 6 am ? , every hour. it may be earlier. not sure.
    And the fare is supposedly 260 Pesos. Thats your cheapest alternative. But you may have to take a cab to the BUS stop. The bus will probably be a lot more comfortable & a LOT cheaper that a Cab to Sosua which will run you easily $70 to 100$ usd as Gutter Said. Its not cheap by cab, & quite Frankly I dont trust CABS in the middle of the NIGHT.
    They KNOW your holding all your money in your wallet, Not a good thing, IMO.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    I am told by a Novia who lives in Santiago, near the monument that METRO is the best bus company to take, I think they start running at approx 6 am ? , every hour. it may be earlier. not sure.
    And the fare is supposedly 260 Pesos. Thats your cheapest alternative. But you may have to take a cab to the BUS stop. The bus will probably be a lot more comfortable & a LOT cheaper that a Cab to Sosua which will run you easily $70 to 100$ usd as Gutter Said. Its not cheap by cab, & quite Frankly I dont trust CABS in the middle of the NIGHT.
    They KNOW your holding all your money in your wallet, Not a good thing, IMO.
    Metro is 170 pesos from Santiago to Sosua (obviously your novia is padding the bill for you jd426) but the first Metro bus that goes through to Sosua is at 9:15, not 6 AM.Bad info all around here. Caribe is slightly cheaper and takes a little long then Metro because they make a couple stops along the way that Metro does not. The Caribe busses are just fine.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

I don't know what time Passion's in Santiago closes during the week but if you could find Cabana to put your suitcases without your stuff being looted then go to Passion's it would be good first night. I have never pulled it off be cause I don't know if any of the nearby Cabanas to Passions have hotel rooms ?????? Aloha Sol would take too long to drop bags off then return to Passions I think would be closed by then.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    Metro is 170 pesos from Santiago to Sosua (obviously your novia is padding the bill for you jd426) but the first Metro bus that goes through to Sosua is at 9:15, not 6 AM.Bad info all around here. Caribe is slightly cheaper and takes a little long then Metro because they make a couple stops along the way that Metro does not. The Caribe busses are just fine.
    In hindsight , Maybe I should not have lied to her about taking her to a Posh Villa in Cabarete, rather than Sosua..
    so she may have been referring to Santiago >> Cabarete , & I was going by memory. But she DID say 6 am .

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    In hindsight , Maybe I should not have lied to her about taking her to a Posh Villa in Cabarete, rather than Sosua..
    so she may have been referring to Santiago >> Cabarete , & I was going by memory. But she DID say 6 am .

What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to decieve.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8orBetter View Post
    I don't know what time Passion's in Santiago closes during the week but if you could find Cabana to put your suitcases without your stuff being looted then go to Passion's it would be good first night. I have never pulled it off be cause I don't know if any of the nearby Cabanas to Passions have hotel rooms ?????? Aloha Sol would take too long to drop bags off then return to Passions I think would be closed by then.

Zeus are the cabanas adjacent to Pasion. They are nice but Horus is my favorite. By the time you get to Pasion they may be closing or closed. You can still pull a chica since many live on site. There is the bar on the side of the nightclub where many chicas congregate in the afternoon and after hours. Judging by your post's you should have no problem except for the limited time available.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr McGlovin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

I've used both Metro and Caribe and prefer Metro.The first time I flew into Santiago at 3am on Spirit I waited untill 5:30 then took a cab to the Caribe bus station because as far as I know they have an earlier departure in the morning.Taxi from airport to bus station was $15.They wanted $18 but as part of the game I countered with the $15 and stood my ground.They took it.On the way back I take Metro just because.It sucks on the way home because the last Metro from Sosua to Santiago is at about 5:45 pm getting you to Santiago and the airport about 7 hours before departure so I usually sit and watch TV in the Metro station for a couple of hours before contiuing on to the airport.One time I cabbed it to the monument and found a place to eat and then went from there.Either way you still will have a wait at the airport.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    I've used both Metro and Caribe and prefer Metro.The first time I flew into Santiago at 3am on Spirit I waited untill 5:30 then took a cab to the Caribe bus station because as far as I know they have an earlier departure in the morning.Taxi from airport to bus station was $15.They wanted $18 but as part of the game I countered with the $15 and stood my ground.They took it.On the way back I take Metro just because.It sucks on the way home because the last Metro from Sosua to Santiago is at about 5:45 pm getting you to Santiago and the airport about 7 hours before departure so I usually sit and watch TV in the Metro station for a couple of hours before contiuing on to the airport.One time I cabbed it to the monument and found a place to eat and then went from there.Either way you still will have a wait at the airport.
    I prefer the Metro also but I am certainly not going to waste 3+ hours of my vacation waiting for Metro when a Caribe leaves that much earlier. I don't think that would be a wise option. If you know enough to be able to take a publico from POP to Sosua, and are willing to use that form of transportation (which most guys don't and aren't), then you have more options.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Maybe somebody on the board could hook you up with a Santiguera to meet you at the airport and head out to a cabana for a short time. Head over to the Imperial cabanas which are on the way into town. 355P stay til 9 a.m. Even without a chica you could catch a little sleep and then grab a cheaper cab into the bus stations in the morning.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

I fly into sti at the same time.

As mentioned above, the first metro to sosua is 9am. The first caribe tour is 6 or 6:30 .

Taxi at the airport can be had for 80 to 100.

But imo you don't know who you can trust with those guys.

I usually use a private taxi. He came highly recommended, and has proven to be extremely trustworthy and honest. Not to mention, prompt. And his car is luxurious, nice comfortable ride.

His cost is 80.

So you have to weigh the pros and cons..... sit at the airport for 3 hours then head over to the bus and be in sosua by 9 . Or have a taxi waiting for you and be in sosua by 5.

In 3 weeks ill be taking the caribe option. But taking private taxi back to the airport for the return.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    I fly into sti at the same time.

As mentioned above, the first metro to sosua is 9am. The first caribe tour is 6 or 6:30 .

Taxi at the airport can be had for 80 to 100.

But imo you don't know who you can trust with those guys.

I usually use a private taxi. He came highly recommended, and has proven to be extremely trustworthy and honest. Not to mention, prompt. And his car is luxurious, nice comfortable ride.

His cost is 80.

So you have to weigh the pros and cons..... sit at the airport for 3 hours then head over to the bus and be in sosua by 9 . Or have a taxi waiting for you and be in sosua by 5.
    In 3 weeks ill be taking the caribe option. But taking private taxi back to the airport for the return.
    What are you going to do at 5AM when you arrive? Other than start drinking or find a cabana. Finding a cabana involves more expense and transportation.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    What are you going to do at 5AM when you arrive? Other than start drinking or find a cabana. Finding a cabana involves more expense and transportation.
    Well, I wouldn't recommend it to most.... but we dropped our bags at our hotel and then went to caipirinia for drinks and dinner until 8 am.... its in my trip report but I would recommend it. Lol.

That's why on the last trip and this upcoming trip, i opted to take a nap with one eye open, at the airport and then taxi to the bus station. Unfortunately I opted for metro because I THOUGHT there was a 6:30 bus. I was wrong. First to sosua wasn't until 9:30. So, I started drinking lol.

Next trip I'm taking caribe

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Thank God for Jet Blue and Continental. Unless Spirit gives me free flight or a 1 dollar flight plus taxes, I cant do it too much of a hassle.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information