Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the average budget to live in Dr

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Re: the average budget to live in Dr

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    I'm a bit surprised. $3000 a month is like a $50,000 yearly gross pay. Single people can live fine on that in the US.
    $3000 a month gives you the good life in a tourist town. You don't need nearly that much to live nice in Puerto Plata, just a few miles away.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    $3000 a month gives you the good life in a tourist town. You don't need nearly that much to live nice in Puerto Plata, just a few miles away.
    Exactly. And Santiago is even cheaper.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

I'm a bit surprised. $3000 a month is like a $50,000 yearly gross pay. Single people can live fine on that in the US.
    It obviously depends where.. I used to pay $5000 for rent in Manhattan.
    Now i bought a new apartment in Williamsburg (Brooklyn)... so I don't pay the rent but still life here is crazy expensive.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

Anyway... to be more deep in to my idea:
    I am not thinking of creating a business in the Dr or wherever... I was jus curious on the monthly budget because my thoughts are to have enough money in few years to move somewhere else and be ok for the rest of my life. If then after a couple of years I wanna begin to work again, then I will do it.
    I am fortunate enough to have my own business and I can stop or start whenever I want.
    I know for a fact that here in the Us for example, if you have a solid base of, let's say 5 millions $, yes it's a good amount, but it's not enough for the rest of your life, if you are in your 30's.
    You buy a house ( a nice one) and a lot is gone and then what? 5000$ a month and in 20 years or less (considering inflation), everything is gone, you are older and beginning everything again is more difficult.
    In other countries, the same amount gives you the chance of leaving comfortable for the rest of your life....
    In the Philippines for example, with a $2000 a month, you live like a king...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danytravel View Post
    Now i bought a new apartment in Williamsburg (Brooklyn)... so I don't pay the rent but still life here is crazy expensive.
    You're right, prices in the US are geographically relative. That $5000 Manhattan apartment can be had for $1000 in Atlanta, depending on what you're seeking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

3000 a month would be sufficient in Sosua, but even then you'd have to be disciplined. Things wear out faster there and you'd want to make a least a couple of trips to the states annually if only to pick up things you can't easy find on the island. The one thing that surprised me was as opposed to decreasing, my sexual appetite increased. I'd cover a span of 2 months having sex every day and sometimes twice a day. Where here at home I can go two weeks without thinking about getting laid. As Steviewonder noted, what kept blowing my budget was my refusal to leave vacation mode. If you're going to live there you really need to find something to occupy your time other than partying. I'd also strongly recommend getting a place to live that provides enough space for you to feel comfortable. One reason I found myself in the street so much was that my apartment isn't large enough for me to enjoy time just kicking it at home. If I stay there more than a couple of hours I tend to get cabin fever.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Young Weyland with all do respect their is Culture in the DR you have to go Santo Domingo.

Museums

Santo Domingo is the location of numerous museums dedicated to the history of the Dominican Republic. Most of them are within the Zona Colonial District.[9]

• Museum of Alcázar
    • Altar de la Patria
    • Naval Museum of the Atarazanas
    • Museum of the Casas Reales is dedicated to the colonial period
    • Museum of Duarte summarizes and shows the history of the movement and struggle for independence
    • Museum of Natural History
    • Museum of Dominican Man
    • World of Ambar Museum
    • Museum of Modern Arts
    • National Museum of History and Geography is dedicated to all of Dominican history, from pre-Columbian up to contemporary times

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I think you are wrong in thinking that life in the DR is stress-free. There are many stresses here, just different from NY. They don't bother me too much because I am at the end of my life taking things easy. But if I were a young man who wanted to get anything done, professionally, artistically, socially or whatever, I would get very frustrated living here among a nation of retards. Then there are the constant security issues. Yes, they can be largely overcome by spending money, but you have to be constantly on the alert. Finally there is the almost total lack of culture here. No art or architecture, no serious music, no major museums, and so on.

And an awful place to bring up a family. Your children would either have to live in a gringo "bubble" or mix with the local children who seem to be more feckless and vulgar the higher you go up the social scale.

As ever, there are some honorable exceptions to all the above generalizations and they deserve credit for swimming against the current.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

True,but without female sex. Only with one`s dog or cat.

And with more expats coming to Sosua cost of living here will keep increasing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
    Uh...many bone many beautiful chicas and party hard stateside with $50K US annual income...except for the ones who look/smell funny.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    Young Weyland with all do respect their is Culture in the DR you have to go Santo Domingo.

Museums

Santo Domingo is the location of numerous museums dedicated to the history of the Dominican Republic. Most of them are within the Zona Colonial District.[9]

• Museum of Alcázar
    • Altar de la Patria
    • Naval Museum of the Atarazanas
    • Museum of the Casas Reales is dedicated to the colonial period
    • Museum of Duarte summarizes and shows the history of the movement and struggle for independence
    • Museum of Natural History
    • Museum of Dominican Man
    • World of Ambar Museum
    • Museum of Modern Arts
    • National Museum of History and Geography is dedicated to all of Dominican history, from pre-Columbian up to contemporary times
    Thanks for the useful list and in due course I will visit all these and maybe more than once. However I did say "major" museums.

"Struggle for independence" is a joke. The Dominicans were given their country when the Spanish walked out and later sold it back to Spain again to make a few quick pesos. The wonderful Dominican upper class have been trying to sell their country to anyone who willing to take it on (usually the US) ever since.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

I live on 1000 us in the usa per month. 300 of that is vehicle related.

Spend twice that on trips(or more) but that don't count

But don't have ant debt .

Rent and mortages take good bite out of peoples budgets.

I would definately buy in DR IF I decided to live there but only after some time in Santo Domingo ;Santiago.

I like Santiago better for chics by far over Sosua but like the beach so---

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danytravel View Post

And I am sure there are folks paying $25,000 a month in Manhattan also. You asked for an average budget and while real estate prices in NY are indeed crazy, $5000 a month rent is not even close to average.

A good friend has a very nice one bedroom on the UES in the 70's for less than half that.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BCguy View Post

And with more expats coming to Sosua cost of living here will keep increasing.
    Actually, I've lived in wealthy areas and poor areas in the US and the folks is the poor areas seemed to get laid a lot more. Like the Cubans say 'sex is the only thing Fidel can't ration, so we do it a lot!'

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kan_ek View Post
    I love this thread.. I wish I know more the better.. I just want to do this for couple of years to see how this all works out..

I think Weyland and Robert probably would know more about the expenses stuff..

One thing I think to cut down chica expenses is to talk Spanish..

Weyland do you speak spanish?
    Weyland doesn't even speak English.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

If you can't live here on $2200 per month you must live a much grander lifestyle than I do.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    If you can't live here on $2200 per month you must live a much grander lifestyle than I do.
    i have been going to sosua for 7 years now and possible will retire there so i am always calculating on how much i will need. I agree with robert and others that you can live decent on 2200 to 2700$ per month and include everything.

dr urbina says you get what you pay for but sometimes you can also get the same thing in different places for a huge difference in money.

use your head and look around for the places where you can get good value for good prices, whether it be food, girls, entertainment etc.

a bit of research and some common sense and staying out of the vacation mode only and you can live reasonable without breaking the bank

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to donquixote For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donquixote View Post
    I agree with robert and others that you can live decent on 2200 to 2700$ per month and include everything.
    that is as cheap as you can live out of all the islands in the Caribbean
    believe it or not - many islands cost twice that or more - been there - done that

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    that is as cheap as you can live out of all the islands in the Caribbean
    believe it or not - many islands cost twice that or more - been there - done that
    i tend to agree with you. The dominican republic is one of the best value destinations in the caribbean. The prices of condos are half or less than other islands. The tour companies from canada have more packages in the dr than anywhere else they go. the only place that may be cheaper for vacation packages is sometimes cuba, however the accomadations and food do not compare favourably.

visit, purchase, monger, vacation, whatever the dr is your best value in caribbean,,,that is until the russians keep coming and drive up the prices like they have made the area in cabarete double or triple in past few years

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donquixote View Post
    i tend to agree with you. The dominican republic is one of the best value destinations in the caribbean. The prices of condos are half or less than other islands. The tour companies from canada have more packages in the dr than anywhere else they go. the only place that may be cheaper for vacation packages is sometimes cuba, however the accomadations and food do not compare favourably.

visit, purchase, monger, vacation, whatever the dr is your best value in caribbean,,,that is until the russians keep coming and drive up the prices like they have made the area in cabarete double or triple in past few years

Really????????? Got any facts to back that up????

Thanks

I am recently retired in the US with a part time job to help with cash flow. My $2,700.00 monthly income affords me a comfortable lifestyle in a very upscale Atlanta suburb. I live in a nice three bedroom house with 1,700 square feet, and a community pool. I pay cash for everything including my car, so I have no debt. I can't imagine paying more in a country that has a much lower cost of living. My plan is to travel to the DR three or four times a year, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rahn For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information