Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the average budget to live in Dr

Thanks
    Thanked 3,745 Times in 562 Posts

Re: the average budget to live in Dr

Quote Originally Posted by Rahn View Post
    My plan is to travel to the DR three or four times a year, and enjoy the best of both worlds.
    I used to want to move to Central or S. America or even DR but have now begun to realize that for me your plan makes more sense. Keeping a home-base in the states and taking extended vacations wherever you please has it's advantages.
    "The only known aphrodisiac is variety."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacoloco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I met a girl in Cabarete who I really like. How hard would it be for me to bring her back to the states for a visit? What would I have to do? I would really like to parade around my home town with this girl. I know she is just a hooch but she is sooo pretty. Has anyone brought one home? Am i crazy to be thinking about this? What do you guys think?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rajeevp View Post
    I met a girl in Cabarete who I really like. How hard would it be for me to bring her back to the states for a visit? What would I have to do? I would really like to parade around my home town with this girl. I know she is just a hooch but she is sooo pretty. Has anyone brought one home? Am i crazy to be thinking about this? What do you guys think?
    FORGET ABOUT IT! (in capital letters, no less)
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Si...muy loco!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    And I am sure there are folks paying $25,000 a month in Manhattan also. You asked for an average budget and while real estate prices in NY are indeed crazy, $5000 a month rent is not even close to average.

A good friend has a very nice one bedroom on the UES in the 70's for less than half that.
    Well, first of all you are talking about a 1 bedroom and I had/needed a 2 bedroom since I need to have an office.
    Second it depends on when he signed the lease: he probably did it a long time ago or in the last 15 months when the recession made prices go in different directions so some landlords, worried of not being able to rent, dropped their prices.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

My costs

I rent a small two bedroom house with a small pool. It is quiet and private. It costs me $630 per month. It includes cable TV, internet, pool maint. My electric runs about $60 per month. I do not have A/C. Health insurance $70-80 per month. Insurance for my scooter is 2000 pesos a year. Food costs roughly 40 -50 dollars per week (not including eating out). There are many places I can have lunch or dinner for less than 150 pesos. Simply Red and Baileys would only be my first choices for dinner once a month.

You have to keep in mind that you will not be in vacation mode if you live here. That is one "problem" I have encountered when hanging with board members. They are, and should be, in all out vacation mode. That is why they are here. I can't afford that. Having met Jimbo on a previous trip I wanted to party with him when he was here. I went out with him three or four nights, but that is not the norm for me. Plus Jimbo doesn't spend a lot when going out. It is a balancing act, budget wise, for me. You guys spend in a week what I spend in a month.

The other thing is I do not budget for chicas. Since living here for two months I think I have spent money in that area twice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

U can marry her, or you can forget her and move on to the next one.

but They are not PETS.....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its the same as living anywhere else in the world...you live with what you got....some have millions some live on Dominican wages....you spend what you have

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malescan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Re: My costs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    The other thing is I do not budget for chicas. Since living here for two months I think I have spent money in that area twice.
    Weyland doesn't cost a thing, does he? So you have to pay a couple of times a month for a little strange, no biggie.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
    Weyland doesn't cost a thing, does he? So you have to pay a couple of times a month for a little strange, no biggie.
    You are right. His old ass is free; but the clinic bills afterward are budget busters.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

My electric runs about $60 per month.
    Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course,) dwelling. I keep one ceiling fan running 24/7 and usually one or both of the other two is running. I don't pay electric for the washing machine because I use Billy's. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course) dwelling. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?
    Because his neighbors are stealing from him while you are doing the stealing.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course,) dwelling. I keep one ceiling fan running 24/7 and usually one or both of the other two is running. I don't pay electric for the washing machine because I use Billy's. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?
    The pool pump has to run around two hours a day every day. I was leaving at least 3 fans running 24/7 to keep the house cool. Now I only leave one running when not here. Not sure how much of a difference that will make. I actually did check the meter. Turned the breakers off and the meter was not running.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I was leaving at least 3 fans running 24/7 to keep the house cool. Now I only leave one running when not here.
    You'd better hope ErikS never reads those two sentences. He has a bit of a fetish about turning off fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 255 Posts

I own a condo in Cabarete, so I hope to retire there some day. I'm at least 10 years or so away from retirement though. If I lived there full time today my cost of living would be far less than the $800 a month that the guy is paying to live in Las canas (Closed AI up the hill with the large pool). I would only be paying a $135 maintenance fee. This would leave me with $665 a month to fuck chicas with dumb ass novios like Rajeevp. By the way dude I will be going to Cabarete this Saturday, so your chica better not be trolling the beach because I will fuck the puta.
    Last edited by Crossfire1; 10-26-2010 at 01:23 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crossfire1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 358 Posts

Weyland, you crazy old bastard! I love you...you call 'em like you see 'em. I think the same of Dominican culture, it's corrupt! But coming from you this has more import. I don't want to come off as racist.
    But, I also thought- wait, you live in POP; isnb
    n't there some cultural-scene in SDI??? Had to be SOME, no? At the very least, a Columbus museum or something.
    I think you are wrong in thinking that life in the DR is stress-free. There are many stresses here, just different from NY. They don't bother me too much because I am at the end of my life taking things easy. But if I were a young man who wanted to get anything done, professionally, artistically, socially or whatever, I would get very frustrated living here among a nation of retards. Then there are the constant security issues. Yes, they can be largely overcome by spending money, but you have to be constantly on the alert. Finally there is the almost total lack of culture here. No art or architecture, no serious music, no major museums, and so on.

And an awful place to bring up a family. Your children would either have to live in a gringo "bubble" or mix with the local children who seem to be more feckless and vulgar the higher you go up the social scale.

As ever, there are some honorable exceptions to all the above generalizations and they deserve credit for swimming against the current.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bhutto,BhuttoGolly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

I rent a small two bedroom house with a small pool. It is quiet and private. It costs me $630 per month. It includes cable TV, internet, pool maint. My electric runs about $60 per month. I do not have A/C. Health insurance $70-80 per month. Insurance for my scooter is 2000 pesos a year. Food costs roughly 40 -50 dollars per week (not including eating out). There are many places I can have lunch or dinner for less than 150 pesos. Simply Red and Baileys would only be my first choices for dinner once a month.

You have to keep in mind that you will not be in vacation mode if you live here. That is one "problem" I have encountered when hanging with board members. They are, and should be, in all out vacation mode. That is why they are here. I can't afford that. Having met Jimbo on a previous trip I wanted to party with him when he was here. I went out with him three or four nights, but that is not the norm for me. Plus Jimbo doesn't spend a lot when going out. It is a balancing act, budget wise, for me. You guys spend in a week what I spend in a month.

We had this discussion Monday the 18th, at the New Garden and the Brittania Pub, didn't we?

I've seen the same question ("How much does it cost?") asked about live-aboard cruising, again and again, in magazines and books about sailing beyond the sunset. You could boil most of the answers down into one universal phrase: "How much have you got? (And how are you accustomed to spend it?)"

Your numbers are encouraging, and any punters who figure "That wouldn't be my style" ought to pay attention to the way they live life at their homes. We save up for several months to get down to Sosua for a week, and we're going to want to play, play, play while we're in town ... to get as much party in that week as we can get, and to poke every puta we could handle (damn the cost!) The notion of living that way all the time ... is a lovely fantasy, but it would soon pale, even if one didn't run out of money for bar-drinks and bar-fines (so to speak).

Thank you very much for your rational and good answers, and your kindliness in showing me around Avda. Pedro Clisante. Hope I see you again sometime soon!

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    We had this discussion Monday the 18th, at the New Garden and the Brittania Pub, didn't we?

I've seen the same question ("How much does it cost?") asked about live-aboard cruising, again and again, in magazines and books about sailing beyond the sunset. You could boil most of the answers down into one universal phrase: "How much have you got? (And how are you accustomed to spend it?)"

Your numbers are encouraging, and any punters who figure "That wouldn't be my style" ought to pay attention to the way they live life at their homes. We save up for several months to get down to Sosua for a week, and we're going to want to play, play, play while we're in town ... to get as much party in that week as we can get, and to poke every puta we could handle (damn the cost!) The notion of living that way all the time ... is a lovely fantasy, but it would soon pale, even if one didn't run out of money for bar-drinks and bar-fines (so to speak).

Thank you very much for your rational and good answers, and your kindliness in showing me around Avda. Pedro Clisante. Hope I see you again sometime soon!
    Good meeting you and welcome to the board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 232 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I think the best way to figure out your budget would be to make about 25 trips there over a 3 - 5 year period and then you would have a better idea.
    Yes....that is exactly what I did before moving here over a year ago.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to onetosix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 232 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    3000 a month would be sufficient in Sosua, but even then you'd have to be disciplined. Things wear out faster there and you'd want to make a least a couple of trips to the states annually if only to pick up things you can't easy find on the island. The one thing that surprised me was as opposed to decreasing, my sexual appetite increased. I'd cover a span of 2 months having sex every day and sometimes twice a day. Where here at home I can go two weeks without thinking about getting laid. As Steviewonder noted, what kept blowing my budget was my refusal to leave vacation mode. If you're going to live there you really need to find something to occupy your time other than partying. I'd also strongly recommend getting a place to live that provides enough space for you to feel comfortable. One reason I found myself in the street so much was that my apartment isn't large enough for me to enjoy time just kicking it at home. If I stay there more than a couple of hours I tend to get cabin fever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moshy2k
    Also if you wouldn't mind posting a sample budget so guys have an idea how you spend your income outside of rent. This really is great info. We appreciate it.

Reply by ONETOSIX:

These figures would be averages per month for the year.

The rent of $700/month is quite adequate in the places I go to be very comfortable. I often get a place that includes breakfasts so that is one of my two meals a day covered in the "rent". I also cook myself a fair amount but eat out when I feel like it too. I am in the US at my family's places several times a year and then my lodging and food costs are close to zero for those periods...they love having me visit and don't think I'm mooching off them. I don't wear out my welcome even though they are family.

A number of months I am in one place and not flying anywhere so the $300 travel would not be used that month or for several months...that would leave me $600-1000 for a one-way flight to my next destination or I would use a freebie with my milage plan and accumulate even more $$.

I can live quite nicely on $350/month for food. I usually sleep late in the mornings(wonder why jajaja) and eat a large late breakfast and then I only eat one other regular dinner later in the day with maybe some soup or fruit on the beach inbetween. I definitely don't deny myself...I love to eat! ( I don't drink or smoke so that could be a chunk for those who do)I'd much rather acquire my pleasures in other ways with my budget.

I don't need a lot of new clothes, I have a minimal wardrobe to travel with and if I need a clothing item most of the countries have places to buy clothes very inexpensively. Got a couple very nice shirts in Thailand for example for a total of $12.00. Toiletries are cheap and I even buy dental floss. I like to read and often find used books cheaply. I like to pick up small gifts for the family and chicas so keep my eyes out for intersting things.

Entertainment...mmmmmmm. I seem to have a full schedule on $700/month.

Rent....................................................$700
    Food....................................................$350
    Travel...................................................$300
    Clothes,toiletries,books,gifts,miscelaneous...$150
    Entertainment.........................................$700

Hope this general outline is helpful to see how really easy it is to live the good life on what I would think is a fairly minimal amount. One could do it for even less, but I think I live VERY well.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onetosix For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information