Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Safety

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Food Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Maretti View Post
    I believe that you bring into your life what you give your attention to, so worrying about getting sick is out of the question. If I get sick, I'll deal with it after the fact, not before. I don't travel that much (my total comes to 17 trips) but I've never gotten sick out there. Maybe those 20 plus years of living in unsanitary Cuba immunized me. Thanks fidel!
    growing up in rural ontario with no indoor plumbing and water from a sulpher rich well did the same for me

i always use the local water for brushing my teeth etc.........
    i never drink water though even at home because i get heart burn
    rye and diet pepsi i buy bye the case though

i am never, ever sick. not even a little

but my kids and my employees are always fuckin sick ........or at least saying they are sick when they phone in taking the day off work
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

The other thing is that you never really know where you picked up the bug. You can think it came from a resturant you ate at but there's no way to be absolute positive. It's unfair to say "I got sick from ______ Resturante" You just don't know.

Did you swallow any water at the beach?
    Did you sallow any water in the shower?
    Did some bar maid rinse off your Presidente bottle under tap water?

IN 6 years I've gotten just a little sick maybe 3 or 4 times. For the life of me I couldn't have told you where it came from.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Forget immodium. If you get sick during your stay in the Caribbean just eat a big bowl of Mofongo. It won't cure you but it will clean your pipes really, really well. BTW, cancel all appointments for the rest of the day and stay out of the pool.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Right. How can you diagnose TB during one dinner sitting?

No, could be lots of other issues like I stated in the original post, and there are lots more.
    Putas are like lottery tickets, sometimes you get a winner sometimes you get a loser.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    hmm/ i've never met a doctor that can diagnose TB from looking at someone coughing in a restaurant.

furthermore, ive never seen a self professed freak about germs, continue to eat in a place where they are convinced that a waiter has tb.

and furthermore.. a doctor, would know that you can not nail down exactly where you ate that got you deathly ill. come to think of it, ive never even heard a doctor say the words deathly ill.

and food poisoning only last 24 hours.

Nap not here to correct you, you are kinda right about how long food poisoning lasts.

Food ppoisoning can last 24 hours and up to 2 weeks.

Most common type of food poisoning is staph and it only lasts for 1-2 days at the most.

However the known food poisoning causes are split into 2 categories.

1: Infectious Agents: made up of viruses, bacteria and parasites.

2: Toxic Agents: Made up of poison mushrooms, exotic foods prepared wrong and pesticides.

Also, food poisoning results from the lack of hygiene during the preparation of the food. But not just the cooks are responsible, the storage of the food at home and restaurants as well is important. Foods that are not stored at correct temperatures can become infected with a bacterium which leads to food poisoning.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vewdew View Post
    Nap not here to correct you, you are kinda right about how long food poisoning lasts.

Food ppoisoning can last 24 hours and up to 2 weeks.

Most common type of food poisoning is staph and it only lasts for 1-2 days at the most.

However the known food poisoning causes are split into 2 categories.

1: Infectious Agents: made up of viruses, bacteria and parasites.

2: Toxic Agents: Made up of poison mushrooms, exotic foods prepared wrong and pesticides.

Also, food poisoning results from the lack of hygiene during the preparation of the food. But not just the cooks are responsible, the storage of the food at home and restaurants as well is important. Foods that are not stored at correct temperatures can become infected with a bacterium which leads to food poisoning.
    Another good reason to stay away from eggs and dairy products if you don't know where they came from not to mention the raw veggies and salad washed who know maybe the same water that the Re-frozen chicken breasts thawed out in. That is one visit from old Sally that you don't need.

In the US the health department (state) inspections all restaurant kitchens including storage areas and yes they can be a pain. It is usually the foreign places like asian places that rate the worst. The statistics are on your state websites so check if you don't believe me.

Who do you think inspects those places in Sosua-- Answer NOONE
    Last edited by mikelodge; 10-23-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarity

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

VFD, Warren never heard of this guy, nor his story nor did this guy stay at the NG as he claims . The entire STORY IS completely FABRICATED... What kind of loser would try to hurt a business with this kind of Crap.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Another good reason to stay away from eggs and dairy products if you don't know where they came from not to mention the raw veggies and salad washed who know maybe the same water that the Re-frozen chicken breasts thawed out in. That is one visit from old Sally that you don't need.

In the US the health department (state) inspections all restaurant kitchens including storage areas and yes they can be a pain. It is usually the foreign places like asian places that rate the worst. The statistics are on your state websites so check if you don't believe me.

Not true.

I was in Baileys having my morning coffee last December and the health inspector was there. They went over everything, and wrote them up for leaving the ice scoop in the ice and various other things. including a jug of OJ that was left on the counter, even though they were using it every few seconds.

I have worked in the catering industry here in Canada and when the health dept. visits you can guarantee they will find something.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post

Believe it or not there is a very active health and safety inspection dept, especially for a gringo business.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Several people have questioned my "diagnosis" of a waiter having TB. Just a few facts for you. According to USAID, the D.R. has a higher than average amount of TB. Last year over 7000 new cases were diagnosed among a population of about 9.7million. keep in mind many people cannot afford medical care so there are no doubt many undiscovered cases. Contrary to the opinions of some here, you do not need to do an ex-ray to diagnos TB. In fact in most early stage cases it will not turn up in an ex-ray. To be sure you do a spetum smear test . Which basically is a microscope analysis. There are signs to look for first which was what I was commenting on, specifically some nasty colored phlem I witnessed being coughed up. You should also be aware that there is a high incedence of multi drug resistant TB in the DR. Interestingly and frighteningly there is also a high rate of HIV infections in the DR and 15% of the people who are HIV posative in the DR also have TB. You can take my word about this or do some internet research if you like. Overall my experience in the D.R. was very posative. I got good food at Flow's, Cafe Cubano and Bologna. I also highly recomend the New Garden hotel where Wilfred is as helpful as can be and a good source of information. Please remember that I have no financial interest in getting or keeping your business. I suspect that some of those questioning me may. All I am saying is be careful. In the end you have to judge for youself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Urbina For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Urbina View Post
    Several people have questioned my "diagnosis" of a waiter having TB. Just a few facts for you. According to USAID, the D.R. has a higher than average amount of TB. Last year over 7000 new cases were diagnosed among a population of about 9.7million. keep in mind many people cannot afford medical care so there are no doubt many undiscovered cases. Contrary to the opinions of some here, you do not need to do an ex-ray to diagnos TB. In fact in most early stage cases it will not turn up in an ex-ray. To be sure you do a spetum smear test . Which basically is a microscope analysis. There are signs to look for first which was what I was commenting on, specifically some nasty colored phlem I witnessed being coughed up. You should also be aware that there is a high incedence of multi drug resistant TB in the DR. Interestingly and frighteningly there is also a high rate of HIV infections in the DR and 15% of the people who are HIV posative in the DR also have TB. You can take my word about this or do some internet research if you like. Overall my experience in the D.R. was very posative. I got good food at Flow's, Cafe Cubano and Bologna. I also highly recomend the New Garden hotel where Wilfred is as helpful as can be and a good source of information. Please remember that I have no financial interest in getting or keeping your business. I suspect that some of those questioning me may. All I am saying is be careful. In the end you have to judge for youself.

Thanks for the info Trapper John MD. lol Just joking. But I have one question are you and your wife swingers or does she just let you bang the chicas.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have noticed several people questioning my "diagnosis" of TB. While it is true that I am not 100% sure that the waiter in question has TB, that is my honest opinion. Contrary to some who post here, you do not need to do an ex-ray for diagnosis. In fact, early stage TB will not show up in an ex-ray. Most of you have already been tested for TB. Your doctor gives you an injection in your arm and then two days later measures your response, or he does a spetum smear test in which case a small amount of phlem is checked under a microscope. The D.R. has a high rate of T.B. infection. Last year over 7000 new cases were discovered among a popluation of about 9.7 million . Remember that many of these people are poor and get no medical testing, so no doubt many cases go untreated. In addition to this, there is a high frequency of MDR TB (multi drug resistant) in the D.R. There are several signs to look for with TB patients. One of them is coughing up some nast looking phlem which is what I saw. You should also know that the D.R. has a high rate of HIV infection and that 15% of those who are HIV posative also have TB. I have no financial interests in the D.R. which is something my doubters may have. For those of you who question why I would let my wife interfere in my behavior you have either never been married or are more of a man than I am. I will remind you that she was not only letting me spend money to be with other women, she was participating too. Overall my time in the D.R. was great. I had several good meals at Flows, Cafe Cubano and Bologna. I also highly recomend the New Garden hotel where Wilfred is both helpful and a good source of information. I am not a negative guy and you can take my warning or leave it. I thought the point of this site was to share information. Myself I appreciate as much knowledge as I can get when i go somewhere new.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I have noticed several people questioning my "diagnosis" of TB. While it is true that I am not 100% sure that the waiter in question has TB, that is my honest opinion. Contrary to some who post here, you do not need to do an ex-ray for diagnosis. In fact, early stage TB will not show up in an ex-ray. Most of you have already been tested for TB. Your doctor gives you an injection in your arm and then two days later measures your response, or he does a spetum smear test in which case a small amount of phlem is checked under a microscope. The D.R. has a high rate of T.B. infection. Last year over 7000 new cases were discovered among a popluation of about 9.7 million . Remember that many of these people are poor and get no medical testing, so no doubt many cases go untreated. In addition to this, there is a high frequency of MDR TB (multi drug resistant) in the D.R. There are several signs to look for with TB patients. One of them is coughing up some nast looking phlem which is what I saw. You should also know that the D.R. has a high rate of HIV infection and that 15% of those who are HIV posative also have TB. I have no financial interests in the D.R. which is something my doubters may have. For those of you who question why I would let my wife interfere in my behavior you have either never been married or are more of a man than I am. I will remind you that she was not only letting me spend money to be with other women, she was participating too. Overall my time in the D.R. was great. I had several good meals at Flows, Cafe Cubano and Bologna. I also highly recomend the New Garden hotel where Wilfred is both helpful and a good source of information. I am not a negative guy and you can take my warning or leave it. I thought the point of this site was to share information. Myself I appreciate as much knowledge as I can get when i go somewhere new.
    Hate to question a bonafide doctor but statistics do not make a diagnosis. And if you were close enough to observe the colour of the phlegm being coughed up by a waiter I would suggest that would be sufficient reason to move on to another restaurant.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Yes, we come here to share info. But....

You have to understand, for a new poster to come on line and slam a resturant with the serious kind of allegations you are making, people get skeptical. Those types of allegations can put a place out of business.

While you may be legitimate and well intentioned - we don't really know you.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Thanks Ugueth. Are you writing from a Venezuelan jail, or have they let you out? You had a mean slider, btw.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    Hate to question a bonafide doctor but statistics do not make a diagnosis. And if you were close enough to observe the colour of the phlegm being coughed up by a waiter I would suggest that would be sufficient reason to move on to another restaurant.
    What you said! I am not sure I could or would finish my meal if my waiter was pumping phlegm out in such amounts that I could see the colour (cdn spelling) of it.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Please remember that I have no financial interest in getting or keeping your business. I suspect that some of those questioning me may.
    Just went through the list of people responding....yep, you are right, we are all part owners of Bailey's...our bad.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well because a country as a high rate of Tb that does not mean everyone in infected.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am a RN and I have worked in a TB clinic and I am not infected, but you figure after working with TB patients I should have TB according to your theory.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BTW the injection you'r refering to its called a PPD test or a Mantoux test.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information