Thread: US Veterans Day 2010 & the DR

Blog Entries
    Thanks

US Veterans Day 2010 & the DR

On this upcoming Veterans Day 2010 as we prepare to observe, celebrate, BBQ, drink various libations and feast upon the spoils, let us not forget the sacrifices of the US servicemembers that came to this island long before us back in 1965 in order to restore democracy and freedom.

Take a moment and read in remembrance to our 44 fallen American heroes’ killed, and the numerous wounded and injured during this widely forgotten contingency operation that prevented a certain Communist takeover in the Dominican Republic. It was though their sacrifices in Santo Domingo back then that we can now, among other things, partake in the festivities conducted on Pedro Clisante in Sosua today.

On this particular vacation as you enjoy the fruits that this island paradise offers, remember and thank these and other veterans. Remember the sacrifices that they made here on the island of Hispaniola and elsewhere. Toast to them and never ever forget………Freedom Is Not Free!

http://www.bragg.army.mil/history/HistoryPage/powerpack/PowerPack.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/powerpack.htm
    Last edited by Andy; 10-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

Re: US Memorial Day 2010 & the DR

interesting read

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie1 View Post
    interesting read
    You will find further interesting reading in the fiction section of your local library.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    You will find further interesting reading in the fiction section of your local library.
    Were you there?
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Ram

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Re: US Veterans Day 2010 & the DR

I gotta be honest. I was a ranger. I was a drill sgt. I served in desert shield and storm. I broke my back in desert storm. My grandfather served on the Arizona in pearl harbor, and survived. And my dad was marine force reconcile in Vietnam. I have several uncles that served. My other grandfather was navy in Europe for ww2 .

I dont have a clue when veterans day is. And have NEVER been thanked by anyone outside of family.

In the almost 20 years since I discharged, I've never even gotten a day off on veterans day. I've even had employers tell me straight up, its not a REAL holiday.
    www.thatsafunnyshirt.com www.toledotees.com

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

??????

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    I gotta be honest. I was a ranger. I was a drill sgt. I served in desert shield and storm. I broke my back in desert storm. My grandfather served on the Arizona in pearl harbor, and survived. And my dad was marine force reconcile in Vietnam. I have several uncles that served. My other grandfather was navy in Europe for ww2 .

I dont have a clue when veterans day is. And have NEVER been thanked by anyone outside of family.

In the almost 20 years since I discharged, I've never even gotten a day off on veterans day. I've even had employers tell me straight up, its not a REAL holiday.

You and your family have paved the way for may future Marines, Soldiers, and Sailors. I know on graduation day someone noticed the difference in thier child or the trainee noticed how they changed. Some people didnt give much thanks in the the past like they do now, but some soldiers service members that I know appreceite the ones that came before us. It is that tradition that is held up everyday. Everyday is Veterans day for some. Especially when you lose someone close to you.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SrSuerte View Post
    ??????
    You first have to understand Weyland!!!
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Wow, I didnt know that. Thank you for your Service !!!!!!!!!.. WE DO appreciate it. all of us....
    No wonder you party so hard, you have seen firsthand how short life can be.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

hats off to u brother... We are a special breed.... call me sick... but, im lookin forward to kickin' ass in afghanistan...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slim26 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    hats off to u brother... We are a special breed.... call me sick... but, im lookin forward to kickin' ass in afghanistan...
    The shit going on in Afghanistan is some BULLSHIT!

Both opposing forces are foreign and most of the casualties are locals.

It's like 2 drug dealers having a shootout in a schoolyard full of kids on full auto and neither can shoot straight

I did my time and a couple other people's too but I can't get with this. I never asked anyone's thanks nor did I ever think it was owed. I did what I thought was right. I don't need anybody's blessing for that. The only people I ever talk about it with are guys who were there. They understand.

At the end of the day everyone who wasn't there doesn't owe me shit. Some get it, some don't. It's not for everyone.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    The shit going on in Afghanistan is some BULLSHIT!

Both opposing forces are foreign and most of the casualties are locals.

It's like 2 drug dealers having a shootout in a schoolyard full of kids on full auto and neither can shoot straight

I did my time and a couple other people's too but I can't get with this. I never asked anyone's thanks nor did I ever think it was owed. I did what I thought was right. I don't need anybody's blessing for that. The only people I ever talk about it with are guys who were there. They understand.

At the end of the day everyone who wasn't there doesn't owe me shit. Some get it, some don't. It's not for everyone.

I understand how u feel... however, those taliban fuckers gave refuge to the guys who hit the towers in New York.. for that... they need to be dealt.. At least give us time to train a formidable Afghan army to stand up to them so we can leave.. I actually dont do it for the average "joe" in America.. I do it because 1. it pays the bills... 2. I do it for the man next to me... That is whats important to me... But, thanks for ur service anyway...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slim26 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I understand how u feel... however, those taliban fuckers gave refuge to the guys who hit the towers in New York.. for that... they need to be dealt.. At least give us time to train a formidable Afghan army to stand up to them so we can leave.. I actually dont do it for the average "joe" in America.. I do it because 1. it pays the bills... 2. I do it for the man next to me... That is whats important to me... But, thanks for ur service anyway...
    We've been "training the Afghan Army to stand up" for 9 mothafuckin' years. How long does this shit take?

Get it. These Mofo's are playing us. The biggest export/ slice of GDP is still the opium poppy. Karzai is running one of the most corrupt governments in history (see bags of cash from Iran) and he is not our friend.

Don't drink the kool-aid. C'mon Son! We are being bamboozled with this bullshit mission. We need every swinging dick (and Jane) fixing the USA right here. Why die there when we need our young folks to live right here?

The "war against terrorism" is a war against us. The freedom which many fought and died for is being rescinded by the "Patriot Act" and other jabs against Americans' liberties.

Did it ever occur to you "why would they slash the VA budget in half while gearing up for war"? So many don't pay attention to the details which preceed us all getting screwed. For every one casualty there are 10 life long, career ending injuries and 10 civilian casualties.

Real patriots don't need to hide behind flags and slogans. Most don't even know who they are.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Up in canada our Remberance Day falls on Nov.11th...I happy to say that in my province all businesses shut down for the day....to remember those who have given their lives in service to their country...but it is sad to say not all parts of our country do this....two years ago I had to take on my union while I was on course in Ontario...I noticed Nov.11th fell on wednesday middle of week of my cousre...so I asked the question what they were going to do...nothing they had not planned on doing anything...I informed them myself & fellow student would be leaving the class to attend sevices at a local legion...what I did not forsee is 90 of fellow students demanding something to be done....we got our service & passed a motion that in the future that they continue to have a service on Nov. 11th...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thread Information