Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TSA Body scanners vs pat-down

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Question TSA Body scanners vs pat-down

What do you think?

https://voices.washingtonpost.com/bl...an_the_bo.html

Revolt against TSA: Ban the body scanner?

By Melissa Bell

Parody shirts made by Despair.com
    A groundswell of anger has rippled through the nation's airports: People are not happy about the body scanner security systems.
    While The Post's Andrea Sachs did not find the procedure too invasive when she tested the new technology ("I found it comforting to know that the body scanner would uncover items missed by older equipment and that we travelers have one more layer of protection against those exceedingly crafty terrorists."), other people have not been so happy with the experience.
    Some people are bothered by the idea of a stranger seeing the naked outlines of their body, others worry about the images being stored. Another complaint is that if you opt out of a scan, you're subjected to a pat-down that has gotten a wee too invasive for some folks. "One US Airways pilot said he felt as though he had been "sexually molested" by the pat down," Mike Cleary, president of the US Airline Pilots Association, told USA Today.
    Some people are planning a National Opt Out Day for Nov. 24. Fliers are supposed to opt out of having a body scan or not travel at all. The Web site writes, "You should never have to explain to your children, 'Remember that no stranger can touch or see your private area, unless it's a government employee, then it's OK.' "
    Meg McLain, a radio host, went on the program "Free Talk Live" and said she had been handcuffed and harassed when refusing to use the body scanners. The Transportation Security Administration released security camera footage that appears to contradict at least some of her claims, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trQp6V8dx7A"]as she is not handcuffed in the footage[/ame].
    The angry fliers have professional support: The unions at American Airlines and US Airways have advised their 14,000 members to avoid the scanners and opt for the pat-downs.
    The Electronic Privacy Information Center filed a lawsuit July 2 to stop the installation of more scanners at airports in the United States, saying the procedure was "unlawful, invasive and ineffective."
    TSA, meanwhile, contends the body scanners are safe and necessary. "Advanced imaging technology safely screens passengers for metallic and nonmetallic threats including weapons, explosives and other objects concealed under layers of clothing without physical contact to help TSA keep the traveling public safe," an entry on the administration's blog reads.

By Melissa Bell | November 12, 2010; 1:18 PM ET
    Categories: The Daily Catch
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: TSA Body scanners vs pat-down

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    What do you think?

https://voices.washingtonpost.com/bl...an_the_bo.html

Revolt against TSA: Ban the body scanner?

By Melissa Bell
    Click to see pic
    Parody shirts made by Despair.com
    A groundswell of anger has rippled through the nation's airports: People are not happy about the body scanner security systems.
    While The Post's Andrea Sachs did not find the procedure too invasive when she tested the new technology ("I found it comforting to know that the body scanner would uncover items missed by older equipment and that we travelers have one more layer of protection against those exceedingly crafty terrorists."), other people have not been so happy with the experience.
    Some people are bothered by the idea of a stranger seeing the naked outlines of their body, others worry about the images being stored. Another complaint is that if you opt out of a scan, you're subjected to a pat-down that has gotten a wee too invasive for some folks. "One US Airways pilot said he felt as though he had been "sexually molested" by the pat down," Mike Cleary, president of the US Airline Pilots Association, told USA Today.
    Some people are planning a National Opt Out Day for Nov. 24. Fliers are supposed to opt out of having a body scan or not travel at all. The Web site writes, "You should never have to explain to your children, 'Remember that no stranger can touch or see your private area, unless it's a government employee, then it's OK.' "
    Meg McLain, a radio host, went on the program "Free Talk Live" and said she had been handcuffed and harassed when refusing to use the body scanners. The Transportation Security Administration released security camera footage that appears to contradict at least some of her claims, as she is not handcuffed in the footage.
    The angry fliers have professional support: The unions at American Airlines and US Airways have advised their 14,000 members to avoid the scanners and opt for the pat-downs.
    The Electronic Privacy Information Center filed a lawsuit July 2 to stop the installation of more scanners at airports in the United States, saying the procedure was "unlawful, invasive and ineffective."
    TSA, meanwhile, contends the body scanners are safe and necessary. "Advanced imaging technology safely screens passengers for metallic and nonmetallic threats including weapons, explosives and other objects concealed under layers of clothing without physical contact to help TSA keep the traveling public safe," an entry on the administration's blog reads.

By Melissa Bell | November 12, 2010; 1:18 PM ET
    Categories: The Daily Catch
    Scan away and as Charlton Heston who was the head of the NRA said "Keep your filthy hands off me you" in a movie where he was an astronaut and time traveled.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,221 Times in 1,136 Posts

At some point folks have to realize that flying is not a right. While I agree that there needs to be some common ground. Buy purchasing a ticket you are giving consent to be searched. Your civil rights are not being violated. The only concern I have about this is I use a hidden pocket to carry large sums of money. I don't want to have to be pulled aside and searched extra because I am carrying a lot of cash on me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Personally I don't really care as I have nothing to hide.

I also have hidden/inside zippered pockets in some pants and carry cash there but always well under the legal limit so I do not have to declare it and if I get searched...no big deal.

My last couple of flights, and I've made dozens and do what I can to reduce hassle and the chances of needing to be searched, I was searched/wanded almost every time I went thru customs...2 times each way even though I had no metal on me and minimal cash. There were no body scanners at the airports I used.

My understanding is that they are in only a few major airports in the US and almost none in Canada although they have plans for Toronto. I last flew in May so I'm sure things have changes some.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,134 Times in 2,768 Posts

Anyone that spends that kind of money, gets to see me naked.

The trauma that causes, is between those that see and their therapists

Seriously, I don't give it any thought, there so many other things that annoy me more when it comes to flying.

the machines don't bug me

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Klockman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sacase View Post
    At some point folks have to realize that flying is not a right. While I agree that there needs to be some common ground. Buy purchasing a ticket you are giving consent to be searched. Your civil rights are not being violated. The only concern I have about this is I use a hidden pocket to carry large sums of money. I don't want to have to be pulled aside and searched extra because I am carrying a lot of cash on me.
    As long a you are not carrying over $10,000 U.S you don't have to declare it and even if for some reason you wanted to bring more than that just declare it and say it is to help with the relief effort in Haiti

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

I first went through a body scanner last December before boarding my flight to Bangkok. I spoke with a TSA employee and told him how much better I liked this than going through the old way. I have a plate and screws in my right leg and I usually trip the x-ray machine thereby getting the full pat down service before going to my gate.

He told me that it was an experiment and only installed in a half dozen airports nationwide. Obviously, they have popped up in many other airports since then.

I have no problems with it. It seemed more fluid getting through as I didn't have to take my off my shoes or belt. More customer friendly IMO.

I have no issues with privacy. The doctor saw me naked when I was born and the coroner will see me naked when I'm dead. And many chicas will see me naked inbetween.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

Charlotte North Carolina I went tru scanner waited for the result, result was positive and got the pat down, and nothin found on my body.

So draw your own conclusion now that they say its is "unlawful, invasive and ineffective."

To me it was ineffective since I got the pat down after the scanner.
    Putas are like lottery tickets, sometimes you get a winner sometimes you get a loser.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    Personally I don't really care as I have nothing to hide.

I also have hidden/inside zippered pockets in some pants and carry cash there but always well under the legal limit so I do not have to declare it and if I get searched...no big deal.

My last couple of flights, and I've made dozens and do what I can to reduce hassle and the chances of needing to be searched, I was searched/wanded almost every time I went thru customs...2 times each way even though I had no metal on me and minimal cash. There were no body scanners at the airports I used.

My understanding is that they are in only a few major airports in the US and almost none in Canada although they have plans for Toronto. I last flew in May so I'm sure things have changes some.
    Glen Beck is against them and says when they feel his kids crotch they are molesting them. OK then he has an opinion on everything. But really

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Hey, I don't have a problem going through the full body scanner. With my little weenie, everybody deserves to have a laugh or two..

(cue the little weenie full scan video)
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

i dont care about scanning or a pat down either for that matter. just be efficient about it and keep the line moving

what i dont like, and really needs work on, is being separated from my carry on and laptop and the dog dish with documents, passport and cash as i understand when going thru the scanner, nothing is allowed in your pockets, not even your cash

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie1 View Post
    i dont care about scanning or a pat down either for that matter. just be efficient about it and keep the line moving

what i dont like, and really needs work on, is being separated from my carry on and laptop and the dog dish with documents, passport and cash as i understand when going thru the scanner, nothing is allowed in your pockets, not even your cash
    They say nothing in your pocket but I kept my cash in miine I did not even think about it till I went through.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie1 View Post

I had a SINGLE PIECE of gum in my shirt pocket and they had me put it in a bowl (the aluminum foil set off the machine) I said you got to be kidding me, he just smiled and said No. So a single piece of gum got the full teatment. LOL
    They go overboard esp with all paper CASH and even passport need to go through &thats just bullshit, noone needs to know how much cash I have on me if its under 10K so I wonder if they record that shit somehow with the passport # for possibly future reference , call me paranoid.
    But as you said as long as they keep it moving, im A ok with it.
    I DO like the part about not having to take off my shoes with these scanners, that does restore a little DIGNITY so it kind of balances it out IMO. I dont cross dress or smuggle Sausages so I got nothing to be ashamed of, if some Woman or even gay dude wants a cheap thrill , hey knock yourself out honey.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    They say nothing in your pocket but I kept my cash in miine I did not even think about it till I went through.

i guess i put my cash in my pocket folded over with a rubber band and see what happens. still doesnt make me feel good about watching my laptop go down the line with my passport, ticket and wallet with a few credit cards in it

i guess i will really start to worry when the DR starts scanning. kiss the loose money and the likes good bye

btw, the gum thing, i ALWAYS make sure the gum goes in the dog dish. take my glasses off, my watch off , then my wallet wont set things off

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ralphie1 For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

They were doing it randomly.I think I must be flagged They had the Dog go through mys stuff on my way back to the States in Miami When they did not find anything they gave me some bullshit excuse saying someone touched my gym shoes that had been smoking weed

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Those dogs should be sniffing for explosives, not weed. Dammmn they got their priorities FUCKED up....wtf is wrong with these people.
    Fucking mexican border, and you are comin back with your RV, ok sniff for weed, but a carry on, just how much weed are they expecting to find ? damn that pisses me off. These is absolutely NO logic to any of this shit.. Thats why the general public is getting fed up .
    Take away my nail clippers, but then u give me a knife and a glass bottle of wine with my meal. I swear they are all fucking retarded.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Some of these TSA people do get off at the power they have over ordering people in line. They seem to think they are the equivalent of the Secret Service or something. To me, they are nothing more than a glorified mall cop. And some of the women!! Jeezus! Loud, abrasive, obnoxious. It's their way of getting back at society, especially to the guys standing in line, for having been passed over in the game of love. Power goes to their head and they revel in it as a respite to the rest of their miserable, lonely lives.

If technology is available that will allow me to get through security with as little contact as possible with these people, I'm all for it.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    Hey Hoseman, Do they have then in DTW yet?
    If she is alive, she will fuck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Those dogs should be sniffing for explosives, not weed. Dammmn they got their priorities FUCKED up....wtf is wrong with these people.
    Fucking mexican border, and you are comin back with your RV, ok sniff for weed, but a carry on, just how much weed are they expecting to find ? damn that pisses me off. These is absolutely NO logic to any of this shit.. Thats why the general public is getting fed up .
    Take away my nail clippers, but then u give me a knife and a glass bottle of wine with my meal. I swear they are all fucking retarded.

It's hard to believe but they let knitting needles on planes. I have seen it and my wife has taken them on. I would think you could do some serious damage with a metal or even wooden knitting needle.

I also wonder where they came up with the 3 oz. bottle limit. Each container must only be 3 oz or less but you can take as many of the 3 oz. bottles as you want. Plus......3 oz of bad stuff can do allot of damage.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As far as the body scan or pat down.......what ever is quicker. Neither one bothers me if it helps stop the bad guys. I think the scan would be faster so I will go with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information