Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belatedly, i discover Geico provides no coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

Re: Belatedly, i discover Geico provides no coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    I checked with my Auto Insurance and my Mastercard - both have full coverage for rental cars - in North America ONLY. Be careful - almost zero credit cards and car insurance covers outside North America!!
    That's not true.

There are many credit cards that cover you in The DR.

But.... they all have fine print.

For example... Amex's fine print states that if the car you are renting has any after market equipment on it... the policy is null and void.

Unfortunately... a lot of the second string car rental companies prefer to buy cheaper cars and install their own stereos in them.

Oops... there goes your insurance if you are using AMEX.

Do your homework if you plan on driving down there.

Or... you can assume all the guys that got into trouble before you were all idiots and that you're impervious to that kind of crap.

My 2 cents.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Re: Belatedly, i discover Geico provides no coverage

This just in; GEICO to pay more than $30 million to a Florida family.

A driver who pulled off Interstate 75 to avoid a plume of black smoke from the vehicle in front of him, but then plummeted down an embankment, was not responsible for his own death, a jury decided Thursday.
    Mary Bottini's eyes filled with tears after the ruling, which ordered GEICO to pay more than $30 million, her attorney said.
    Gerard Bottini, then 46, was on his way home from a March 2007 trade show in Miami when a vehicle in front of him on I-75 in Hillsborough County emitted a cloud of dark smoke, dropping his visibility to zero, said Steve Yerrid, an attorney for his estate.
    He was in the left lane with traffic on his right and a semitrailer truck behind him when he decided to pull off on the left shoulder, Yerrid said.
    "What he couldn't have known is there was a 5-foot embankment," Yerrid said. Bottini's Ford pickup plunged down the embankment, and the crash crushed the driver's side roof down to 3 inches from the seat.
    Bottini died and his two co-workers were injured.
    GEICO denied the claim. The company's attorneys argued Bottini wasn't wearing a seat belt and caused the accident by over-steering in a panic, Yerrid said.
    "Unfortunately in some cases, wearing a seat belt doesn't matter," he said.
    Yerrid argued that Bottini couldn't see, and the best course of action was to pull off the side of the road instead of risking striking a disabled vehicle.
    Experts — including GEICO's — backed up that assertion, he said.
    A jury of four men and two women awarded more than $14 million to Bottini's wife, Mary; more than $5 million to each of his three minor children; and $1.8 million in economic damages, according to court documents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information