Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotel Colonial Questions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Re: Hotel Colonial Questions

I stayed at Aloha Sol this week it was like 62 a night.

FRITO Albertos suites is probably your best alternative---

That too FRITO you need to get your own security suitcase from pacsafe through ebay for 60 bucks--

then not worry about what the hotel has for room safes.
    Last edited by Mr Hillbilly; 01-11-2011 at 07:47 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Motoconchos aren't the main source of transportation like the Sosua strip. You may see them around, but it's best to take a taxi if you aren't driving.
    But not necessarily a private taxi. There is a massive network of carritos (publicos) running along fixed routes, mostly with great frequency, and denoted by large letters in the windshields. And they are ridiculously cheap. We seemed to ride forever, right across the city, for 15 pesos each.

But finding out which route goes where is a different story, especially with the one-way streets complicating things. Has anyone ever seen a map of carrito routes?
    Last edited by weyland; 01-11-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 405 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Most important thing to remember when staying at the Hotel Colonial is not to let Ajax 718 buy your breakfast.

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    Weyland, you are never gonna let me live that one down.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajax718 View Post
    Weyland, you are never gonna let me live that one down.
    It's only when I mention it here that you seem to come alive at all. How're you doing?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    But not necessarily a private taxi. There is a massive network of carritos (publicos) running along fixed routes, mostly with great frequency, and denoted by large letters in the windshields. And they are ridiculously cheap. We seem to ride forever, right across the city, for 15 pesos each.
    That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying, Weyland.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Has the Aloha Sol gone up that much? I stayed there for 4 nights in 2009 and a standard room was about 1800 pesos a night, about $50-52 dollars.
    I got it from their website.

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

I also think Albertos Suites is probably your best alternative. They have small kitchens that come with a stove and fridge---- 1,000 pesos. --quieter than down by central, closer to the monument. No safe though you'll have to bring your own!!!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

Taxi is 120 to 150rd on the cornor of 30 De Marzo. But once you hit the Autopista Duarte like going to Passions or Dias Gomez could come to 200RD. Airport is 500rd from Colonial, no bargaining with Apollo Taxi. But they are fair and do not dick gringos if you speak up.

Well worth it. Driving in Santiago involves drinking heavy and that could run 3 grandes a trip. I bought a rice burner and only ride on the back streets north of Estrella. My new future wife just graduated school and is insane enough to take the bike to the city.

Frito, the Colonial is so so but is near nothing at night. rent a car and find Los Reyes ( sorry Paul and Sammy ) for the future La Passions chicas. That is where most come from. But stay away from Paloma, she has a week to go for legal status.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

OH SNAP!!!!!

IT'S MY MAN GUTTAMAN!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Terrible experience at Colonial. My Dominican wingman and I checked in last friday about 10 pm, mind you after surviving an accident on the freeway from santo domingo, that totaled the rent a car, as a matter of fact, the towtruck dropped us off at the hotel.The guy working the desk was a complete asshole from the start, unattentive as if he was doing us a favor by letting us stay there. He spoke no english and seemed to only want to get the 1300 pasos per room and get us the hell out of his face. So, we check in, and leave to go meet our dates at Pizza Hut, we return with the dates about 12. This asshole stops us at the door and barks at us saying no company allowed after 10 PM. I was thinking, WTF!!! I told him that he should have mentioned that when I checked in or show me that in writing. This son of a bitch decided to stand his ground and also refused to return my money since it was more than 30 minutes after the time that I checked in. It was complete bullshit, so I got my shit out the room and checked in to Aloha del Sol. I got to write an email to Lazaro the owner to complain about that prick.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tpaz37 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

tpaz37 Please tell us about the car accident-- you guys get hurt?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly69 View Post
    tpaz37 Please tell us about the car accident-- you guys get hurt?
    Yeah, did it result in any spooning?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpaz37 View Post
    Terrible experience at Colonial. My Dominican wingman and I checked in last friday about 10 pm, mind you after surviving an accident on the freeway from santo domingo, that totaled the rent a car, as a matter of fact, the towtruck dropped us off at the hotel.The guy working the desk was a complete asshole from the start, unattentive as if he was doing us a favor by letting us stay there. He spoke no english and seemed to only want to get the 1300 pasos per room and get us the hell out of his face. So, we check in, and leave to go meet our dates at Pizza Hut, we return with the dates about 12. This asshole stops us at the door and barks at us saying no company allowed after 10 PM. I was thinking, WTF!!! I told him that he should have mentioned that when I checked in or show me that in writing. This son of a bitch decided to stand his ground and also refused to return my money since it was more than 30 minutes after the time that I checked in. It was complete bullshit, so I got my shit out the room and checked in to Aloha del Sol. I got to write an email to Lazaro the owner to complain about that prick.
    And let us know the owner's response! Thanks.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 224 Posts

I don't why people like to suggest Hotel Colonial as a good place to stay. I would never pay 1,300 pesos per room. I just had a friend stay there and he paid 460 pesos per night (about $13 us). There are hotels across the street and next door to Hotel Colonial and they are very cheap (under 500 pesos) and Guest Friendly.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jcrew2020 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 2,001 Posts

It doesn't matter what hotel it is.

4 star or 0 stars...

You are in a foreign country and the people there DO NOT RESPECT you. You think different ask David Smash or the original creator of this thread how much respect they have for you.

The best you can do is try to find an economic place to stay to maximize your vacation and keep a low profile.

I learned this the hard way.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to WSJ3_Sith_Lord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No we were not injured in the accident, It happened on the freeway around Bonao, close to the famous restaurant that starts with a "J", sorry can't spell the name, but I'm sure you know it. Anyway, a gua gua decided to change lanes in the middle of a curve in the road, which caused me to swerve and loss control of the car, since we were traveling pretty fast. The car spun around a few times and crashed into the concrete road divider, the whole front-end of the car was destructed, but luckily we were wearing seatbelts. I have to admit that before I could count to ten that ten guys were already on-site helping get the car off the road and offering assistance, and did not ask for a peso, I was shocked. Happened to be a tow-truck along the road and the young driver raised the car and we continued on our trip to santiago. The driver was great, he drove us to santiago and then to his barrio to show me where he lived and where he would keep the wreck for the night, he then drove us to La colonial. When he met us the next day at Aloha del Sol, he offered to tow the car all the way to santo dominigo, for 3000 pesos including the tow from the night before from Bonao, WOW!!!!!!! But it was not needed because I had called the rental company, Payless, and they were very helpful and told me just to take the wreck to Nelly car rental and they would provide another vehicle, good thing that I had decided to purchase the full insurance, because I experienced no problem at all with the rental company. Different story when I had to return to Bonao to make the police report for the car, those pricks were completely unhelpful and rude, and give me the run around. Long story short, I returned to santo domingo and had a friend pay one of his buddies at AMET to complete the report as if the accident happened in santo dominigo, which came in handy considering that I would have had to drive back to Bonao on Monday morning and return to Payless in SDQ on malecon, and then try to make my 12 flight out of Las Americas. I'll keep you guys posted after I call Lazaro tomorrow about that prick he has working at the desk. I tell ya that wreck, my hurting ribs, and that asshole ruined my night. I was making a special trip that night to fuck a real honey at La passion named Glenis, damn I wanted that ass. LOL

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpaz37 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information