Thread: Bus depot nearest to the Monument?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Bus depot nearest to the Monument?

I need to visit the Haitian Consulate in Santiago.

Last time I took Caribe Tours to Las Colinas and a taxi from there. It seemed to take ages to cross the city.

Does anyone know whether the other Caribe Tours depot (I don't know what it is called) or the Metro depot would be nearer?

The Haitian Consulate is fairly near the Monument.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Re: Bus depot nearest to the Monument?

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

Last time I took Caribe Tours to Las Colinas and a taxi from there. It seemed to take ages to cross the city.

Does anyone know whether the other Caribe Tours depot (I don't know what it is called) or the Metro depot would be nearer?

Thanks.
    Mi Novia says that the second stop for Caribe is about 15 minutes from the Monumento. The depot for Metro is next door to the main one for Caribe so that will not help. Javilla stops close to Metro and Caribe. Not sure about Transporte de Cibao, I googled their adress and it looks like it is close to the others in the north end of the city. I am sure the taxi unions make sure they are on the edge of the city so they get more business. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Yes. Both the Jardines stop for Caribe tours and Metro are closer to the monumento and right down the block from one another.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Thanks.
    Weyland, I always use the El Caribe bus station in Los Jardines. It's much more central to the rest of Santiago. And the Metro Bus station in Los Jardines is actually right down the street from the El Caribe station. Both are a short 100-150 peso taxi ride to the monument.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

OK guys, many thanks. Cost wasn't an issue. It only cost three of us 200 pesos in a private taxi to the Consulate from Las Colinas, a long drive, and the driver had to cruise round asking people where it was, so no complaints there.

Seems the best option for us is the Metro bus, as if we take Caribe we will have to sit in it at Las Colinas until it is ready to move on to Los Jardines. Anyway the Metro depot is slightly nearer my new home in Puerto Plata.

My girlfriend got her passport (including visa) robbed at gunpoint in November. She has been pretty relaxed about getting them replaced (despite the fact that You Know Who will be footing the bill). But this new purge has put the fear of God into her.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 376 Posts

Good luck, Weyland. Hope she can get them without any problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post
    We rang this afternoon and they say they are awaiting collection. The Haitian Consulate is strangely elegant, modern, affable and efficient compared with almost everything else in this country. Staffed by helpful guys in suits and neckties who speak near perfect English.

Quite unlike the Dominican Consulate in Cap Haitien which is like a disused storeroom with menacing thugs leaning against the walls, and the toilet is a hole in the yard with a tarpaulin round it:

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post
    I wish you luck as well. She will need a Birth Certificate and may have trouble providing sufficient paper work. Just a heads up,,,I made the trip there with my favorita last summer and had to leave empty handed. At present, she is going back through the gauntlet to visit family and try and get her papers. I'll be interested to hear how it goes!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bailar View Post
    I wish you luck as well. She will need a Birth Certificate and may have trouble providing sufficient paper work. Just a heads up,,,I made the trip there with my favorita last summer and had to leave empty handed. At present, she is going back through the gauntlet to visit family and try and get her papers. I'll be interested to hear how it goes!!!!!
    All done and dusted within ten minutes.

Only slight problem was that Metro buses don't run in the middle of the day for some bizarre reason so we had to travel there on Caribe Tours and back on Javilla Tours (as Caribe were booked solid).

I shall always travel on Javilla Tours in future. Much more entertaining. Last time a pet parrot got loose on the bus and flew about shitting on the passengers. This time two drunks at front and back did a sort of "duelling banjos" act all the way shouting jokes to each other. My Spanish is rudimentary and I have nil sense of humor but they must have been really good because the other passengers were embarrassed at first but were shrieking with laughter by the end and gave them High Fives when they staggered off at their respective stops. They had a great repertoire to keep it up for an hour plus and most of the jokes seem to start with "Hay un barracho ..."
    Last edited by weyland; 01-13-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

A successful and entertaining trip, What a Win-Win!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

I shall always travel on Javilla Tours in future. Much more entertaining. Last time a pet parrot got loose on the bus and flew about shitting on the passengers. This time two drunks at front and back did a sort of "duelling banjos" act all the way shouting jokes to each other. My Spanish is rudimentary and I have nil sense of humor but they must have been really good because the other passengers were embarrassed at first but were shrieking with laughter by the end and gave them High Fives when they staggered off at their respective stops. They had a great repertoire to keep it up for an hour plus and most of the jokes seem to start with "Hay un barracho ..."
    Awesome. Gotta check out this bus service. Where in Santiago is their station located?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Awesome. Gotta check out this bus service. Where in Santiago is their station located?
    In (or near?) Las Colinas. About half mile further out of town (in the Navarrete direction) than the Caribe Tours bus station and on the other side of the main road (that is, on the right when leaving town).

They use small local buses, no aircon or entertainment and smaller seats. They also allow standing passengers so it can get crammed when busy. And they make far more local stops so the trip takes 10/15 minutes longer. But the price is the same (110 pesos one way).

On the return trip to PP the buses do not go straight to the La Javilla tours terminus at La Javilla but continue past it to the Hospital (and the parada for Sosúa publicos) then turn left into the town centre before ending up back at La Javilla.

Be prepared to have a baby or sack of platanos dumped on your lap with a smile and cursory "con permiso".

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have travelled on Javilla a few times, always entertaining. I am not sure why some chica friends prefer this over Caribe/Metro when the price is the same.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

All done and dusted within ten minutes.

Only slight problem was that Metro buses don't run in the middle of the day for some bizarre reason so we had to travel there on Caribe Tours and back on Javilla Tours (as Caribe were booked solid).

Glad to hear all is taken care of. It must not be fun being Haitian without documentation right now. Saw three military trucks roll through Sosua the other morning, one already loaded with Haitians.

What was the cost? I have a very good Haitian friend in Sosua who runs a store and her visa has expired, hopefully she can get the money together to get it renewed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    What was the cost? I have a very good Haitian friend in Sosua who runs a store and her visa has expired, hopefully she can get the money together to get it renewed.
    Visa is US$200 and replacement passport was (I think) US$65. One scam is that the passport only lasts five years and the visa only lasts one year.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thread Information