Thread: 10/2015 - Dominican women spend 12% their income on beauty...."El Caribe"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

10/2015 - Dominican women spend 12% their income on beauty...."El Caribe"

Dominican women spend 12% their income on beauty

American anthropologist Gerald F. Murray and Dominican sociologist Marina Ortiz say their research on beauty salons in the Dominican Republic reveals that Dominican women give high priority to their looks, regardless of their income level. The beauty culture is so strong, that the study found that on average Dominican women invest 12% of their earnings in beauty.

The researchers say that for Dominican women looking good is part of their mystic. Investing in the care of hair, hands and feet are part of the Dominican woman's routine, regardless of socio-economic status.

A poll carried out by the Dominican Beauty Cluster in 2013 on the frequency Dominican women go to beauty salon revealed that 84% say once a week, 10% every week weeks, 3% twice a week, 2% once a month, and 1% at least every three months.

Murray and Ortiz recently published the book, "Pelo bueno, pelo malo" that focuses on the beauty salon culture. The book reveals there are around 55,000 beauty salons throughout the country. This is in addition to separate shops that just deal with hand care and luxury spas.

The book reveals that in these types of small business, beauty shops are second only to corner grocery stores (colmados).

At the low end, the cost of a salon visit can range from RD$150 for a hair wash and dry, while a manicure and pedicure can range between RD$200 and RD$300. The authors of the study estimate ladies in lower income brackets will still spend up to RD$800 a month on beauty treatments.

But up the socio-economic ladder, on average visit to the beauty salon will cost RD$400-RD$500, manicure and pedicure another RD$300 to RD$400, dying hair will cost RD$2,000. This means, an upper middle class woman may spend at least RD$6,000 a month in the beauty salon.

In addition, the beauty salon culture supports a huge personal care product industry. There are 65 labs that manufacture hair and cosmetic products, and over 150 companies that sell beauty products. Many of these companies are now exporting their products to salons in the United States and Europe.
    SouthCoast

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Re: Dominican women spend 12% their income on beauty...."El Caribe"

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,071 Times in 409 Posts

Re: 10/2015 - Dominican women spend 12% their income on beauty...."El Caribe"

"The poor are a gold mine" - Thomas Sowell

beauty salons, jordans, gawdy jewelry etc ... all stupid purchases but you see an abundance of it in poverty stricken areas
    All Bitches Are Looking For Some Sort Of Come Up!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,606 Times in 5,261 Posts

The so called ‘Beauty’ industry should be called, IMO, the ‘Ugliness Hiding’ industry, because that is its main role, I mean, girls who are naturally beautiful need none of that crap over their faces and hair, ‘Ugliness Hiding’ products are only for girls who need it, be it because they were unlucky at birth or because of their age.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    The so called ‘Beauty’ industry should be called, IMO, the ‘Ugliness Hiding’ industry, because that is its main role, I mean, girls who are naturally beautiful need none of that crap over their faces and hair, ‘Ugliness Hiding’ products are only for girls who need it, be it because they were unlucky at birth or because of their age.
    I've seen too many natural beauties obscure their gift with fake hair, fake nails and makeup in response to peer pressure.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    I've seen too many natural beauties obscure their gift with fake hair, fake nails and makeup in response to peer pressure.
    I had to cut them loose at times. I hate fake hair.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

They like to show up with their wigs, boots and other fancy clothes they waste their money on. I tell them to show up in regular simple clothes Jeans, t shirt and sneakers but they hardly ever do.
    I was meeting one on a Sunday at noon. She showed up wearing a blonde wig, boots up to her knees and a fancy skirt. That was a walk of shame to the hotel.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Drjetman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drjetman View Post
    I tell them to show up in regular simple clothes Jeans, t shirt and sneakers but they hardly ever do.
    I was meeting one on a Sunday at noon. .
    I find them in the campo like that for under 1,000.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,071 Times in 409 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drjetman View Post
    They like to show up with their wigs, boots and other fancy clothes they waste their money on. I tell them to show up in regular simple clothes Jeans, t shirt and sneakers but they hardly ever do.
    I was meeting one on a Sunday at noon. She showed up wearing a blonde wig, boots up to her knees and a fancy skirt. That was a walk of shame to the hotel.

I know that feeling all too well ... when I stay in sti and ask them to come to the hotel i specifically tell them to dress normal... when they come all slutted out you get that fucking shameful look from all the female employees....just embarrassing smh

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to harlem hec For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harlem hec View Post
    I know that feeling all too well ... when I stay in sti and ask them to come to the hotel i specifically tell them to dress normal... when they come all slutted out you get that fucking shameful look from all the female employees....just embarrassing smh
    That is normal to them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thread Information