Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 07/2007 - Continental/United Deals to the DR.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Re: Continental Deals to the DR.

Quote Originally Posted by DRboundagain View Post
    I guess, but you are spending less than 48 hours in the DR.
    In my younger days, I wouldn't even need a room.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

This is where the DR is so counterprodctive. I've had a shitty week and this is just the time I might say "fuck it" and go down for a quick visit. Then you add $134 to a $239 ticket and it just doesn't sit well. I've flown to MDE for less on Copa, and now Spirit is running those really cheap prices.

You can be sure that if the taxes were a more normal $60 or so that I would leave a lot more than the diffeence down there tro work its way through the ecconomy.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

I agree that the taxes are too much. That is the only reason I refuse to go for any less than 6 or 7 days because if I have to pay so much for a flight I need time to make it worth while.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    This is where the DR is so counterprodctive. I've had a shitty week and this is just the time I might say "fuck it" and go down for a quick visit. Then you add $134 to a $239 ticket and it just doesn't sit well. I've flown to MDE for less on Copa, and now Spirit is running those really cheap prices.

You can be sure that if the taxes were a more normal $60 or so that I would leave a lot more than the diffeence down there tro work its way through the ecconomy.
    Don't forget to add on another $70-80 USD for a taxi to and from the airport in Santo Domingo.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DRboundagain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    I agree that the taxes are too much. That is the only reason I refuse to go for any less than 6 or 7 days because if I have to pay so much for a flight I need time to make it worth while.
    and then they have the nuts to tack another $10 on at arrival for a 'tourist card' - which you have to hand over 30 seconds after you pay for it.

Somehow I find that an even bigger crock of shit than the taxes & fees.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    and then they have the nuts to tack another $10 on at arrival for a 'tourist card' - which you have to hand over 30 seconds after you pay for it.

Somehow I find that an even bigger crock of shit than the taxes & fees.

If Cuba ever opens up, DR is finished, because its closer than DR is.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, here's a little bonus. A bunch of flights out of EWR are going to get canceled tomorrow so a lot of travelers for Thursday & Friday are going to get pushed to that Saturday flight - so if that Saturday flight is full or close to it (seatcounter.com is down right now so there's no way to check, unfortunately) then some Saturday passengers are likely to get bumped.

So if you book the Saturday morning flight you might be able to pick up some vouchers or cash for getting bumped off the flight. Just a thought.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

For $133 and just a napsack might be a hell of a story....Find a chica to bun up with and Actually it's two nights. Its just like living in NYC and going to DC for the weekend. If you drove from NYC to DC its about 4 hours same time by plane to the DR. I've done weekends in DC. If you have the miles on continental which some members actually do its 133 many of the NYC board members spend that in Sunrise lol...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    For $133 and just a napsack might be a hell of a story....Find a chica to bun up with and Actually it's two nights. Its just like living in NYC and going to DC for the weekend. If you drove from NYC to DC its about 4 hours same time by plane to the DR. I've done weekends in DC. If you have the miles on continental which some members actually do its 133 many of the NYC board members spend that in Sunrise lol...

You need to get to the airport 3 hours in advance?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You need to get to the airport 3 hours in advance?
    Two hours usually works for me but I live, 20 minutes away from EWR. I have door to door service, walk out my door, walk to the train, take train to Airtram at airport.

If security wasnt always backed up then I wouldn't even need that much time

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Two hours usually works for me but I live, 20 minutes away from EWR. I have door to door service, walk out my door, walk to the train, take train to Airtram at airport.

If security wasnt always backed up then I wouldn't even need that much time

But security always is so you need 2.5 hours plus 3 plus 20 minutes to get to Sosua, and 30 minutes to get out of airport.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    But security always is so you need 2.5 hours plus 3 plus 20 minutes to get to Sosua, and 30 minutes to get out of airport.
    Eh it is what it is.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is for you Joeysterr lol

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/09...l/09hours.html
    36 Hours in Santo Domingo

By MARC LACEY
    WHETHER one believes it was Columbus who actually discovered America or not, he clearly left his mark on Santo Domingo, the breezy capital of the Dominican Republic and the most vibrant of Caribbean cities. Columbus’s remains are said to be there, and a bronze statue honoring the explorer sits in Zona Colonial, where one can retrace his steps and find solace in an otherwise chaotic city. Exploring, after all, is what Columbus did, and you’ll find plenty of reasons to keep wandering. And in the oldest European city in the New World, there’s the oldest church in the Americas, the first paved road and the first sewer system. But Santo Domingo also offers plenty that’s new and trendy, like an elegant restaurant buried in a cave once used by pirates, and a seaside walkway that features towering condos on one side and the ocean that carried Columbus to the island on the other.
    Friday
    4 p.m.
    1) COLUMBUS’S CORNER
    If Santo Domingo has a nerve center, it may be the gritty but always crowded El Conde Restaurant (Calle El Conde at Arzobispo Meriño; 809-688-7121). Order a cold Presidente beer and take in the sights (and pigeons) of the Parque Colón, a leafy square in the heart of the Zona Colonial. Across the square is the Catedral Primada de America (Calle Arzobispo Meriño, Parque Colón), which dates back to the 1500s. Also nearby is the Museo Alcázar de Diego Colón, (809-682-4750, rsta.pucmm.edu.do/ciudad/alcazar/website), a museum on the Plaza de la Hispanidad, that used to be the residence of Christopher Columbus’s son Diego.
    6 p.m.
    2) PEOPLE GRIDLOCK
    Santo Domingo’s traffic is an infuriating mess. Find yourself stuck in it and you might wish you’d stayed home. But foot traffic is another thing entirely, and no place packs in more bodies than El Conde, a street closed to vehicles and filled with pedestrians and merchants of all stripes. There are too many knickknacks for sale, but the people watching is first-rate and there are plenty of surprises along the way, like the facials that are sometimes performed on the sidewalk for the equivalent of $10, tip included.
    8 p.m.
    3) COLONIAL EATING
    When hunger calls, duck into Mesón D’Bari (Calle Hostos 302; 809-687-4091), a mouth-watering Dominican restaurant in a restored colonial home. To start things off, order the empanadas, which come filled with seafood or vegetables. Then try the grilled crab, a specialty here, or a plate of spicy shrimp that will have you have thirsting for a cocktail. Dinner will run about 875 pesos or about $24 at 36 pesos to the dollar. Enjoy the live bands, which feature anything from salsa to jazz.
    10 p.m.
    4) FRYING TO THE BEAT
    Work off your meal by walking the safe streets to El Sartén (Calle Hostos 153; 809-686-9621), a tiny bar where you’ll find some first-class Dominican joie de vivre. There are far glitzier nightspots with velvet ropes, burly doormen and revelers dressed like it’s New Year’s Eve. But no place has the energy of El Sartén, which means the frying pan and can feel like one when everyone is packed together, dancing to loud meringue and bachata music. Plop down in a curbside plastic chair and look inside as gray-haired Dominicans show off their old-time steps. Or better yet, grab a partner and join in the fun.
    Saturday
    10 a.m.
    5) MINING ABOVE GROUND
    Amber and larimar, a sea-blue stone, are native to the island, and are carved to make beautiful figurines and jewelry. For stunning examples, check out Ambar Maldo Gift Shop (Calle La Atarazana 1; 809-688-0639), one of many such shops in the colonial area. Or get a lay of the land at the Museo Mundo de Ambar (452 Arzobispo Meriño; 809-682-3309), where one can learn about the uses of amber resin through the ages.
    1 p.m.
    6) STOGIE ROLLING
    You don’t have to be a smoker to enjoy watching the Dominican Republic’s beloved cigars being rolled. At a cigar shop called Museo del Tabaco (El Conde 101; 809-689-7665) you can witness the entire painstaking process, from moist leaves to hand-rolled beauties. You can see it from the sidewalk, but for a whiff of the pungent leaves, step inside. Either way, don’t buy the Cuban cigars that are sold along the sidewalk. Buying them runs afoul of the American trade embargo, but most are fakes anyway.
    8 p.m.
    7) DOWN-UNDER DINING
    Caves are thought to be dank, bat-infested and lacking glitz. But not Mesón de la Cava (Avenida Mirador del Sur 1; 809-533-2818; elmesondelacava.com), an underground restaurant that shines. Well-heeled capitalinos enjoy seafood Dominican style inside this limestone hideaway, which is said to have served as a campground for pirates centuries ago. The service is impeccable and the offerings diverse and delicious, especially the traditional shrimp in cilantro cream sauce, a Dominican delicacy that will have you longing for more. Many entrees are below 700 pesos. This is spelunking in style, so remember, after polishing off that bottle of rum, that you have to climb back up those narrow stairs.
    10 p.m.
    8) DANCING WITH THE BATS
    If being underground suits you, head down to Guácarataína (Avenida Mirador Sur; 809-533-1051; www.guacarataina.net), a nearby disco inside a sprawling grotto. Featuring several bars and dance floors, this cave does not draw the crowds it once did, but it remains a wonder and offers memorable concerts. On a recent Saturday, there were just a handful of revelers spread throughout the cavernous property, but the drinks were good and the atmosphere unlike anything else above ground.
    Sunday
    10 a.m.
    9) A SCRUNCHED SANDWICH
    Eating at Hermanos Villar (Avenida Independencia at Esquina Pasteur; 809-682-1433) is not necessarily relaxing, but the popular diner does not disappoint. The house specialty is sandwiches made of flattened baguettes and served piping hot with a variety of meat, cheese and vegetable fillings, for about 70 pesos. If you come with a group, order one extra-long sandwich for all and munch away to your heart’s content.
    Noon
    10) NOT ALL ATTICS ARE EQUAL
    In the small plaza in front of the Sofitel hotel is a Sunday-only flea market that offers attention-getting artwork, crafts and bric-a-brac that could have been taken from Caribbean attics. The sellers are a motley crew, and so are their wares. Bargain hard for that aging map, gem-studded dagger or necklace made from shells. Nearby is the seaside walkway, the Malecón, which is closed to traffic on Sundays and fills with revelers who sip rum and other mysterious liquids out of paper bags, as they soak in the breeze. Peer out into the ocean, away from the sky-high condominiums going up, and you’ll see nothing but blue.
    2 p.m.
    11) RE-DISCOVER COLUMBUS
    A cab ride away on the other side of the Ozama River is the Columbus Lighthouse (Parque Mirador del Este, 809-591-1492), a museum built 10 stories high and in the shape of a giant cross. The lighthouse, which was inaugurated in 1992, to mark the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s arrival in America, is equipped with high-powered beams that can blast the night sky. But it’s rarely turned on, to help relieve a national power crisis. Plus, neighbors did not take kindly to looking out of their darkened hovels to see the government blasting luz into the heavens. Inside, you’ll find artifacts from throughout the Americas and, if the Dominicans are to be believed, the remains of Columbus himself.
    THE BASICS
    Numerous airlines fly between Santo Domingo and New York, including American, Continental, Spirit, JetBlue, Copa and Delta. A recent online search found fares in November and December from about $400.
    Named after one of the first governors of the Americas, the Sofitel Nicolás de Ovando (Calle Las Damas; 809-685-9955; www.sofitel.com) offers 104 elegant rooms, luxurious views of the port on the Ozama River and a lap pool. Rooms start at $218 a night.
    For a more affordable stay, try Boutique Hotel Palacio (Calle Duarte 106, 809-682-4730, www.hotel-palacio.com), a converted mansion in the Zona Colonial. The 48 comfortable and quiet rooms overlook a central courtyard. Rooms start at about $97.
    Hotel Doña Elvira (Calle Padre Billini 207; 809-221-7415; www.dona-elvira.com) has a dozen cozy rooms, some overlooking a mosaic-tiled plunge pool. Rooms for two start at $79, and include a breakfast.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
    $239
    OR
    17,500Miles+$36
    ---\

This weekend if you have continental Miles you can Fly to the DR for 133 From Sat to Monday....
    What happened to the sale price? I guess it is all sold out?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DRboundagain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRboundagain View Post
    What happened to the sale price? I guess it is all sold out?
    nope, still available:
    https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...s/default.aspx

30. The Following User Says Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, for a 24hr period all specials were showing as sold out. I also notice the $268+ fares that had been available up until May are gone and are now $358+. The airlines love to play games.
    Last edited by DRboundagain; 02-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DRboundagain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: EWR-POP $332 all-in select dates in January

CO just bumped the prices up on the EWR-POP route to nearly $500. You can still find a few days here and there where it's as little as $430, but it's either a really shitty time to book flights or the days of the $350 r/t (like we saw a lot last year) are nothing but a memory.

Rat bastards!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

CO just bumped the prices up on the EWR-POP route to nearly $500. You can still find a few days here and there where it's as little as $430, but it's either a really shitty time to book flights or the days of the $350 r/t (like we saw a lot last year) are nothing but a memory.

Rat bastards!
    Looks like you will have to monitor pricing. Jetblue is still 400 round trip.
    Santo Domingo is about the same also. WTF is happening.
    I bet you they raised prices because of the storm. People are thinking damn I want to get away and are more prone to book vacations now. In a month or so they will probably go back down. lol

Thanks

Looks like you will have to monitor pricing. Jetblue is still 400 round trip.
    Santo Domingo is about the same also. WTF is happening.
    I bet you they raised prices because of the storm. People are thinking damn I want to get away and are more prone to book vacations now. In a month or so they will probably go back down. lol
    It's such a bitch for me to get out to JFK that unless I saw an absolutely great deal I wouldn't even look at Jet Blue.

I guess it's possible that the storm has something to do with it, but the fares to Montego Bay & Punta Cana didn't go up at all - not even for flights within a few weeks. More likely it's because there isn't any other airline that flies that route non-stop out of EWR *or* LGA so CO doesn't really have any competition in the market. I just went through CO's site and there now isn't a single flight all year listed for under $492.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Rat bastards!
    I think we need to hold out for a week or so. Continental usually is competitve in pricing with JetBlue out of JFK. JetBlue still has $400 (taxes/fees included) fares so let's see when Continental will follow suit.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information