Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving from SDQ to Sosua And Blackbeards

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Driving from SDQ to Sosua And Blackbeards

Hello

I am flying into SDQ and driving north. I have done this drive before (getting lost in Santo Domingo and Santiago) and made it to POP in one piece.

However I am supposed to be going with a friend who claims a new highway has been built which almost cuts this drive in half, does anyone know what I am talking about? The only road I see is Hwy 21 from La Vega which would bring me into Sosua from the East side.

Last time I came in through Navarette.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Re: Driving from SDQ to Sosua And Blackbeards

Once you go through the fake toll booth right out of Las Americas heading towards Santo Domingo there is those fucked up round speed bumps get ALL the way into the right lane when you clear the booth about 100 yards there will be your exit WARNING it isn't fancy its only a break in the concrete barrier....get off keep going paralell to Las Americas towards Santo Domingo about 2 more miles you won't miss the turn right it is big 4 lane entry with toll booths.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just to be clear, this gets me out of SDQ, through Santo Domingo and on to Hwy 1 towards Santiago right

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    Just to be clear, this gets me out of SDQ, through Santo Domingo and on to Hwy 1 towards Santiago right
    Nope I didn't read it correctly---I would go through Nagua...Cabarete to Blackbeards I think it is route your friend is talking

I was there month ago construction was going on east side of Santo Domingo but I don't know on what--I am using my GPS and chip next time so I dont have to do any thinking.....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello

I am flying into SDQ and driving north. I have done this drive before (getting lost in Santo Domingo and Santiago) and made it to POP in one piece.

However I am supposed to be going with a friend who claims a new highway has been built which almost cuts this drive in half, does anyone know what I am talking about? The only road I see is Hwy 21 from La Vega which would bring me into Sosua from the East side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly69 View Post
    Nope I didn't read it correctly---I would go through Nagua...Cabarete to Blackbeards I think it is route your friend is talking

My friend who told me about this, who works for Spirit is supposed to come on this trip, but he has not made any reservations at NG or BB's with us, and we are 16 days away, so I want to be prepared.

I guess I will concentrate on getting directions to Nagua. I guess Google Maps has not updated this new highway. How long do you think this trip would take assuming I don't get lost to Sosua. And please compare that to how long it would take through taking Highway 1 through Santiago Navarette etc, assuming I don't get lost.

Keep in mind I will be driving fast and furiously with a 4 hour erection.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My friend who told me about this, who works for Spirit is supposed to come on this trip, but he has not made any reservations at NG or BB's with us, and we are 16 days away, so I want to be prepared.

I guess I will concentrate on getting directions to Nagua. I guess Google Maps has not updated this new highway. How long do you think this trip would take assuming I don't get lost to Sosua. And please compare that to how long it would take through taking Highway 1 through Santiago Navarette etc, assuming I don't get lost.

Cant compare the times only speculate.. but I will go Nagua route to get to Puerto Plata the city.. the new road is 4 lane and hard to get lost just drive straight.....Look at my first post on this topic and copy it .. it is important info to get on that road...8

I think you will save an hour

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cant compare the times only speculate.. but I will go Nagua route to get to Puerto Plata the city.. the new road is 4 lane and hard to get lost just drive straight.....Look at my first post on this topic and copy it .. it is important info to get on that road...8
    You Da Man, another question, are there tolls that need to be paid?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Hello

You will lose much time from SDQ through Santo Domingo(mucho traffic until maybe 8pm). Also, the road from Santiago to Puerto Plata is extremely dangerous, especially at dark.----------- The new road will save 1+ hours. Be careful because the speed traps are continuous(at most, drive 10kph over the limit). From Cabrera to Sabaneta, the potholes are huge and frequent. Very east to blow a tire and destroy a rim. You don't want to be stuck out there at night.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You Da Man, another question, are there tolls that need to be paid?
    About 400 pesos each way.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

3.5 hours with no Santo Domingo traffic. Chances are good for getting lost there!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

After you get your rental car start driving towards Santo Domingo but keep your eyes wide open looking for a hwy sign that says Samana/Nagua this will be the toll road going north. It usually takes me no more than 45 minutes to an hour to get to the top of the toll road on the north coast, it dead ends into hwy 5. If you go right you'll go toward the Samana penninsula but you want to go left(west) toward Nagua and ultimately into Puerto Plata.

Its pretty much a straight shot from there, once you leave Nagua the next major town will be Rio San Juan and after that the next major town will be Gasper Hernandez then your next major town will be Cabarete, then the crown jewel of the north coast Sosua and then about half an hour past Sosua you'll arrive into Puerto Plata. You'll need to drive thru Puerto Plata to get to Costambar where BBs is.

From SDQ to POP, ~3.5 hours, going the northern route and depending on how you drive and the traffic. Still better than going the SDQ to STI to POP route, you'll avoid the SDQ and STI traffic, which can be major headaches.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afroski For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think you will save an hour
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    You will lose much time from SDQ through Santo Domingo(mucho traffic until maybe 8pm). Also, the road from Santiago to Puerto Plata is extremely dangerous, especially at dark.----------- The new road will save 1+ hours. Be careful because the speed traps are continuous(at most, drive 10kph over the limit). From Cabrera to Sabaneta, the potholes are huge and frequent. Very east to blow a tire and destroy a rim. You don't want to be stuck out there at night.
    THanks for the info, last time I was there I flew into STI and to BB's, I didn't think it was that bad once I was out of STI.

My flight through Spirit arrives around 6pm, but I noticed Jetblue has a similar flight at the same time on Feb 23rd. I am guessing I wil get out of the airport with the rental car and through customs by 7:30pm, do you think there is that many speed traps at those hours? Perhaps I should bring my radar detector.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afroski View Post
    After you get your rental car start driving towards Santo Domingo but keep your eyes wide open looking for a hwy sign that says Samana/Nagua this will be the toll road going north. It usually takes me no more than 45 minutes to an hour to get to the top of the toll road on the north coast, it dead ends into hwy 5. If you go right you'll go toward the Samana penninsula but you want to go left(west) toward Nagua and ultimately into Puerto Plata.

Its pretty much a straight shot from there, once you leave Nagua the next major town will be Rio San Juan and after that the next major town will be Gasper Hernandez then your next major town will be Cabarete, then the crown jewel of the north coast Sosua and then about half an hour past Sosua you'll arrive into Puerto Plata. You'll need to drive thru Puerto Plata to get to Costambar where BBs is.

From SDQ to POP, ~3.5 hours, going the northern route and depending on how you drive and the traffic. Still better than going the SDQ to STI to POP route, you'll avoid the SDQ and STI traffic, which can be major headaches.
    Thanks for the help. The first time I did this, there was a huge election, with the candidates pictures everywhere, which I think was the reason I got lost in SDQ, but I got lost real bad in STI with all the turning circle things.

Thanks for the help

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afroski View Post

About 400 pesos each way.
    I am assuming there are attendants at each toll way? I got some bills left over from my last trip but if I need change, I will have to sift through my change bucket.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

THanks for the info, last time I was there I flew into STI and to BB's, I didn't think it was that bad once I was out of STI.

My flight through Spirit arrives around 6pm, but I noticed Jetblue has a similar flight at the same time on Feb 23rd. I am guessing I wil get out of the airport with the rental car and through customs by 7:30pm, do you think there is that many speed traps at those hours? Perhaps I should bring my radar detector.
    There will be speed traps. It is not advisable to drive the roads at night!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There will be speed traps. It is not advisable to drive the roads at night!
    I did not see any speed traps, however the new highway itself is not very busy, but the road from Nagua to about Rio San Juan has some impressive tire blowing pot holes. Many areas are freshly paved, and some parts are dangerous.

Also on the way to Sosua, I think after Nagua, I got stopped by military with M-16 guns. They were on both sides of the road and stopping each car. My friend who speaks a lot of spanish talk to him and asked where we were going and if we had weapons. Then he asked for some money, I gave him 50 pesos and he let us pass. On the way back, I used a tip from a friend which seemed to work. I think it was the same exact spot, we got stopped by the Military, I spoke as much english as possible like a gringo tourist. Even though I know what he was asking I just played stupid and spoke more big words english. They finally gave up and let us pass without asking us money.

The fact I gave him Pesos, really did not bother me, but might bother other people.

Also I was under the impression that this was a 4 lane highway, but I had the wrong impression, I was expecting a double yellow lane, with 2 lanes on both sides. Not a Double yellow line, and one lane on each side for cars, and the motoconch lane on both sides too, unless that is a definition of a 4 lane road.

Please make sure you take care of everything before you get on this highway, because there really is absolutely nothing on it from SDQ to Nagua.

I would estimate that from SDQ to Nagua is about 80 minutes. Nagua to Sosua is the tough part!!!!!!

The instructions on getting on this highway could not be any clearer, it is a small entrance on the side to Samana, and just when you think this guy is messing with you, you are on the highway.

Also I lost the reciepts, and forgot to write down the tolls, but I think it was around 400 pesos, but 500 should be more then enough to cover all tolls.

I saw multiple signs with the interstate logo and the number 7 on it. I still cannot find this on Google Maps.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Guess what I blew out 2 tires PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

I also forgot to add that I briefly got lost in Nagua where I missed a quick right turn at one point heading towards Sosua and saw Nagua, which is a place I don't want to see in detail again. It looked like one of those places I could really help for a price of a cup of coffee a day.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I also forgot to add that I briefly got lost in Nagua where I missed a quick right turn at one point heading towards Sosua and saw Nagua, which is a place I don't want to see in detail again. It looked like one of those places I could really help for a price of a cup of coffee a day.
    It was great meeting you and your crew. When you coming back?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    It was great meeting you and your crew. When you coming back?
    If it was up to me tomorrow but my wallet says a few months Colombia is next

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I am making the same trip in a few weeks (chill in santo domingo for a couple of days, then head to Sosua). I am rolling solo.

My friend told me to go through the SD - Santiago - POP/Sosua route. She is a chica so im sure thats the route she knows from taking the bus. i was thinking of just taking a night and partying in Santiago, then heading to Sosua in the morning.

I hate potholes and speed traps because they always get me. Can someone talk about the road condition from STI to POP? I just want to makesure i can drive with some speed, and not be too nervous about the potholes. My problem is that i like to drive fast driving slow makes me tired, and gives me eye strain.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information