Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving from SDQ to Sosua And Blackbeards

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Re: Driving from SDQ to Sosua And Blackbeards

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this one. I am making the same trip in a few weeks (chill in santo domingo for a couple of days, then head to Sosua). I am rolling solo.

My friend told me to go through the SD - Santiago - POP/Sosua route. She is a chica so im sure thats the route she knows from taking the bus. i was thinking of just taking a night and partying in Santiago, then heading to Sosua in the morning.

I hate potholes and speed traps because they always get me. Can someone talk about the road condition from STI to POP? I just want to makesure i can drive with some speed, and not be too nervous about the potholes. My problem is that i like to drive fast driving slow makes me tired, and gives me eye strain.
    I have taken the SDQ to STI to POP route twice. I have always looked for the highway that leads from Santiago to a place between POP and Sosua but have never found it, and ended up heading towards Navarette and then north on highway 5 to POP. I have done this at night, but would not recommend either way at night. The problem for me at least with this route, is I have gotten lost at night in Santo Domingo, and Santiago, and it has been tough for me to get an accurate time on this drive. The new highway part for the most part is a smooth ride, except for the road mentioned earlier, if I had to do it again, I would only drive 70-80 kph once I get through Nagua

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    I have taken the SDQ to STI to POP route twice. I have always looked for the highway that leads from Santiago to a place between POP and Sosua but have never found it, and ended up heading towards Navarette and then north on highway 5 to POP. I have done this at night, but would not recommend either way at night. The problem for me at least with this route, is I have gotten lost at night in Santo Domingo, and Santiago, and it has been tough for me to get an accurate time on this drive. The new highway part for the most part is a smooth ride, except for the road mentioned earlier, if I had to do it again, I would only drive 70-80 kph once I get through Nagua
    That's the infamous "tourist route".

Easy to find. Once you hit Santiago and go right to go around the city, you go over the overpass, then it's the next light, if they haven't added any more lights.

There's a big red "Hache" building(more or less 6 stories) on the right. That's the tourist route.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    I hate potholes and speed traps because they always get me. Can someone talk about the road condition from STI to POP? I just want to makesure i can drive with some speed, and not be too nervous about the potholes. My problem is that i like to drive fast driving slow makes me tired, and gives me eye strain.
    That's got the potential to be a very big problem for you. Drive slow, stop along the way for a cold one a few times.

This country invented the "speed kills" logo.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    That's got the potential to be a very big problem for you. Drive slow, stop along the way for a cold one a few times.

This country invented the "speed kills" logo.
    this is exactly why im thinking take 'the long way'. i can stop at bonao have a beer, and a pastelito. Stop somewhere after la vega, etc. if i have nothing but highway infront of me i zone out and stop paying attention to the odometer. As long as i got some kind of chicharon stand, fritura, etc. along the highway i will be ok

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

THanks for the info, last time I was there I flew into STI and to BB's, I didn't think it was that bad once I was out of STI.

My flight through Spirit arrives around 6pm, but I noticed Jetblue has a similar flight at the same time on Feb 23rd. I am guessing I wil get out of the airport with the rental car and through customs by 7:30pm, do you think there is that many speed traps at those hours? Perhaps I should bring my radar detector.
    Why don't you just fly into POP ????

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ctp1812 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctp1812 View Post
    From fll or MIA, to pop is usually double to ttiple the price of sdq and sti. Anyone of. the 3 airports, we would rent a car anyway so it is really the price of gas split 3 ways and on my next trip 4 ways.

The last trip fll to sdq was 210 round trip with taxes and carry on luggage included. On my trip next week, I looked.into pop it was at 500. $300 cash for each of us saved for 3 to 4 hours of.driving was.worth it, if it wasn't for the flat tire.and missing the flight. Next week.we are.paying extra.for.the.suv

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctp1812 View Post

For some of us it's a $300+ price difference between POP and SDQ
    "The Royal Penis is Clean Your Majesty"

"No cushion for the pushin, no peso for the queso"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princepointe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Does.anyone have up.to.date.pricing on gas right now.in the Dr? Trying to.budget my fuel bill for my trip week and need to get payment up front from one of cheapest persons I know and would like to.get money.from him before our trip

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Does.anyone have up.to.date.pricing on gas right now.in the Dr? Trying to.budget my fuel bill for my trip week and need to get payment up front from one of cheapest persons I know and would like to.get money.from him before our trip

Why would you go with such a guy? The price is the price.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post

OHHHH YEAH. This is a train wreck waiting to happen. If he's not willing to roll with the crew he needs to make his own arrangements before he messes up your thing.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princepointe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    He was entertaining and really helped us out on our last trip since he is colombian and speaks Spanish fluently. He was a big help on our last day when we had 2 flats in the middle of no where.

the last trip was the first time I met him, and although it sounds petty, you be the judge.

The thing that bothered me was every time we went anywhere, he had an excuse for not paying. I figured maybe he was broke and didn't think anything of it. I am not rich, but very generous buying rounds and stuff. On my last trip, there was a beautiful Pioneer four wheeler parked out front of the NG. Everytime I walked by, I stopped to check it out. On the last day I found out it was his rental. I don't remember how much he said but I think it was like $80 a day or something. That got me thinking of all the times he didn't pay, or bought me a single beer. Last trip I picked up the rental car, and asked the other two to handle the gas. One guy paid the first tank, and the second I had to ask 3 times. The first time he asked me to borrow the car, I asked him to fill it up. When he came back he said there was too much traffic (carnival weekend) and then the second time he said he has no pesos. It was at the supermarket when I told him to exchange money so he could pay for gas, is when I got it.

Also the second incident that pissed me off was on the last day, we called a streetwalker from the first night. at 5:30 in the morning our first night, I already busted a nut, as my friend, and he was the only one who didn't yet. We were cruising SDQ looking for street action, and saw a real cutie, for a street walker. I was considering taking her for myself, but he found and stopped her. Her first offer was 1500 for st. He countered at 1300. It was 5:30 am and after 10 minutes I could understand enough spanish and I offered to pay 200 pesos to close the deal, which he refused. I may have been drunk enough and offered 1000 pesos so it would only cost him 500. He refused, but she ended up joining us and hopped in the car. It turned out he didn't bust a nut that night, and my friend ended up taking her. I did not find out till the plane ride on the way back. We stayed out till 6am for no reason that first night. I am sorry, but not busting a nut on your first day in the DR is unacceptable for me. Especially when we are out specifically hunting for action at several clubs and street walkers that night.

Also on the last day, the guy actually ended up banging the original streetwalker. We went to Mcdonalds in SDQ, and when the girl mentioned the credit card machine was broken, he of course said he planned on paying with a credit card and had no money. We talked about the session, and the girl was right there, and I think he said he paid 1500 plus cab which was another 150 pesos or something I don't really remember but the important thing is that he paid for her cab fare. Anyway we go on another mission to pick up a bottle of Mamajuana. The streetwalker was telling us where to buy it. After a 10minute drive, I told him we are not buying mamijuana, that we are driving her home. However that was only half true, we ended up going to some mall to buy mamijuana, and she lived right down the street. I don't remember how much the bottle was, but the fact is that I pointed out that when he paid for the bottle, it looked like he had enough pesos to buy mcdonalds and mamijuana in his wallet.

We discussed these money issues last trip and he promised to change, but want to make sure he pays up first and every bar and restaurant we go to, either seperate check his ass, or when I buy a round will exclude him out.

He's a nice guy, and good guy to make fun of like how cheap he was, and the chica screwed him over by taking cab fare from him, and having us drive her home. Or that he has all his clothes in a small back pack, and a suitcase full of high heel shoes that he tries to barter for sex. I remember telling us with the last street walker that he offered her some pairs of shoes but she wanted money. Overall good guy, just a douche bag when it comes to money.

I will let yall know after the trip if he changed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

He was entertaining and really helped us out on our last trip since he is colombian and speaks Spanish fluently. He was a big help on our last day when we had 2 flats in the middle of no where.

the last trip was the first time I met him, and although it sounds petty, you be the judge.

The thing that bothered me was every time we went anywhere, he had an excuse for not paying. I figured maybe he was broke and didn't think anything of it. I am not rich, but very generous buying rounds and stuff. On my last trip, there was a beautiful Pioneer four wheeler parked out front of the NG. Everytime I walked by, I stopped to check it out. On the last day I found out it was his rental. I don't remember how much he said but I think it was like $80 a day or something. That got me thinking of all the times he didn't pay, or bought me a single beer. Last trip I picked up the rental car, and asked the other two to handle the gas. One guy paid the first tank, and the second I had to ask 3 times. The first time he asked me to borrow the car, I asked him to fill it up. When he came back he said there was too much traffic (carnival weekend) and then the second time he said he has no pesos. It was at the supermarket when I told him to exchange money so he could pay for gas, is when I got it.

Also the second incident that pissed me off was on the last day, we called a streetwalker from the first night. at 5:30 in the morning our first night, I already busted a nut, as my friend, and he was the only one who didn't yet. We were cruising SDQ looking for street action, and saw a real cutie, for a street walker. I was considering taking her for myself, but he found and stopped her. Her first offer was 1500 for st. He countered at 1300. It was 5:30 am and after 10 minutes I could understand enough spanish and I offered to pay 200 pesos to close the deal, which he refused. I may have been drunk enough and offered 1000 pesos so it would only cost him 500. He refused, but she ended up joining us and hopped in the car. It turned out he didn't bust a nut that night, and my friend ended up taking her. I did not find out till the plane ride on the way back. We stayed out till 6am for no reason that first night. I am sorry, but not busting a nut on your first day in the DR is unacceptable for me. Especially when we are out specifically hunting for action at several clubs and street walkers that night.

Also on the last day, the guy actually ended up banging the original streetwalker. We went to Mcdonalds in SDQ, and when the girl mentioned the credit card machine was broken, he of course said he planned on paying with a credit card and had no money. We talked about the session, and the girl was right there, and I think he said he paid 1500 plus cab which was another 150 pesos or something I don't really remember but the important thing is that he paid for her cab fare. Anyway we go on another mission to pick up a bottle of Mamajuana. The streetwalker was telling us where to buy it. After a 10minute drive, I told him we are not buying mamijuana, that we are driving her home. However that was only half true, we ended up going to some mall to buy mamijuana, and she lived right down the street. I don't remember how much the bottle was, but the fact is that I pointed out that when he paid for the bottle, it looked like he had enough pesos to buy mcdonalds and mamijuana in his wallet.

We discussed these money issues last trip and he promised to change, but want to make sure he pays up first and every bar and restaurant we go to, either seperate check his ass, or when I buy a round will exclude him out.

He's a nice guy, and good guy to make fun of like how cheap he was, and the chica screwed him over by taking cab fare from him, and having us drive her home. Or that he has all his clothes in a small back pack, and a suitcase full of high heel shoes that he tries to barter for sex. I remember telling us with the last street walker that he offered her some pairs of shoes but she wanted money. Overall good guy, just a douche bag when it comes to money.

I will let yall know after the trip if he changed.

Be sure to point him out next week.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Will be there June 9-12. If you will be hanging out with Robert8675309 we will most certainly meet. I also have 2 other buddies down there already. We are all staying at the NG.

I won't have to point him out, I'll buy a round and the the only guy without a beer will be the one.

Not sure if you are a basketball fan,(assuming there will be a game 5) but we need to find a spot to watch the game Thursday night if you want to join us. We need a place with plentiful TV's and good chica traffic. I also had a crazy idea of watching the game, and going to a suck house at halftime to get blown by a total stranger and be back for the second half.

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

We stayed out till 6am for no reason that first night. I am sorry, but not busting a nut on your first day in the DR is unacceptable for me. Especially when we are out specifically hunting for action at several clubs and street walkers that night.
    Seems like some people just breed there own problems. I wouldn't own it and would steer clear.
    Last edited by Jimmydr; 06-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Vida es buena....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

with all that kind of driving.....it wouldn't be a very relaxing vacation for this guy.....but to each he's own

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princepointe View Post
    OHHHH YEAH. This is a train wreck waiting to happen. If he's not willing to roll with the crew he needs to make his own arrangements before he messes up your thing.
    BTW it did blow up, but I refused to let it ruin my vacation, and kind of added unecessary drama to the trip with my Tri-polar personality, but was sorry it had to involve the other 2 of our 4 passengers. Also the 2 people we were meeting in Sosua had problems with his frugal ways.

Put it this way, when I asked him for money on the car, he replied that he didn't bring cash, and he got paid the next day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    It was a pleasure meeting you at the Black Box. I always enjoy meeting veterans like you, Robert8675309 and Ryatt on this trip, just wish we had more time to hang out so I can learn more from you guys. He was actually staying at Rocky's with you. I made reservations for the other 2, but refused to make one for him, because I did not want any issues with making a reservation for him, and him not paying. Not sure if you saw him, he was a skinny white dude, who was Colombian.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

So what route did you end up taking from La Capital? Details?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Is it still 4 hours SDQ to POP via Metro ???
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

On the way up we went the Santiago route, I am in the process of writing a report, and forgot to establish a departure time, and I got into why we stopped in STI for lunch and meeting a girl on Tagged, so I don't have an accurate time.

On the way back I took the new Highway. Now the road conditions have dramatically improved with the exception of a small section between Abreu and Nagua. I drove a lot slower then normal since I left around 1AM in Sosua, and arrived in SDQ Courtyard Marriot in under 3 hours.

If you check out my posts, it is in detail my disaster on my Febuary trip, but you still need to be careful on the new highway route, but a lot of the potholes have been repaired. I could see the white beige repairs at night very clearly.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information