Thread: EWR/POP Continental Cheaper to Book One Way Tickets

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

EWR/POP Continental Cheaper to Book One Way Tickets

After watching the fluctuating flight prices for several days for Mid-March I just booked one way ticket in and one way out ticket for less than round trip price.

I paid $134 - $54 tx = $188 fm EWR to POP and see it's now POP to EWR $283 total.

That's $471 instead of $497 for Round Trip.

I've done this a few trips and just thought I'd point out that it's something to consider booking two one-way tickets instead of round trip.

The difference can mean a TLN or ST.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Re: EWR/POP Continental Cheaper to Book One Way Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    After watching the fluctuating flight prices for several days for Mid-March I just booked one way ticket in and one way out ticket for less than round trip price.

I paid $134 - $54 tx = $188 fm EWR to POP and see it's now POP to EWR $283 total.

That's $471 instead of $497 for Round Trip.

I've done this a few trips and just thought I'd point out that it's something to consider booking two one-way tickets instead of round trip.

The difference can mean a TLN or ST.
    I read something on this board about the average price being 400 for a round trip, so i'm using that to set the bar on whether or not ill go. Right now I'm planning to go in through santiago and just take the metro to POP. I have a 134 leaving JFK to STI at midnight on a friday. I just have to find a return flight for around the same price and i'll have it.

Ill definitely consider Continental and keep in mind to book 1 way.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

On a few trips I have flown Continental into POP and returned via Jetblue into JFK. I have noticed that Jetblue can be from $40 to $100 cheaper than Continental for that flight.

Also, Delta now flies once a week, Saturdays, into POP from JFK.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Toca For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagnum View Post
    I read something on this board about the average price being 400 for a round trip, so i'm using that to set the bar on whether or not ill go. .
    That's a great price if it's with taxes. It's an ok price without taxes. Taxes run about $130 usd.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    That's a great price if it's with taxes. It's an ok price without taxes. Taxes run about $130 usd.
    402 with taxes RT is what I got going to STI 3/11 and coming back 3/21 (mon) but at some odd hour like midnight or 2am. So If anyone can help me, whats it like getting to STI airport at night?? I was thinking Id come back about a day earlier stay at a hotel for the day in STI then I could make my way to the airport from there. Minor inconvenience since I was just about ready to go through Spirit and do some layover in FLL madness.

But thats the price of two flights at 134. Its like paying 3 trips after taxes are included, which is roughly about what you quoted 130. The tricks to get a flight under that 134 or 2 of them. The taxes will never change, if anything they'll go up never down.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

Seems like STI airport has all the lower fares now on all airlines? Flights into POP are way higher than 400 R/T... Hopefully for all of the first timers flying into STI for the first time, we will not have too much of a problem getting to Puerto Plata from there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    Seems like STI airport has all the lower fares now on all airlines? Flights into POP are way higher than 400 R/T... Hopefully for all of the first timers flying into STI for the first time, we will not have too much of a problem getting to Puerto Plata from there.
    not all. february is still crazy expensive on CO, but there are bunch of dates in March & April for $402 EWR-POP and then from May on that's pretty much the daily fare.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

i did not see that rate. r u including taxes? i put april 1 returning a week later . no 400 rates round trip.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah. The POP prices are crazy right now. And I cant remember the last sale I saw to POP. STI has so many more flights out though its pretty great to have choices to pick from instead of just one flight.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

i did not see that rate. r u including taxes? i put april 1 returning a week later . no 400 rates round trip.
    no, their fare calendars never include taxes, but the taxes are $134, so those flights are all $402 r/t. this is what april looks like for a 7 nt stay:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You probably wont be able to do friday. I checked CO and I noticed they have the 134 flights on mondays, tuesdays and wednesday. I checked for 3/11 and that day were high.

you need 2 134's for a 402 RT after taxes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The best deal I've gotten was $360 from JFK to POP on Delta and return to JFK on Jet Blue last February. But, there was time and costs to/from JFK that I don't incur flying in/out of Newark.

Anything much less than $500 now seems like the time to book from EWR to POP.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Two one ways are usually more expensive..
    Good that they are now going back to normal..(at least for May and beyond.).
    One problem with booking two one ways...is that if for some reason you need to change the ticket, you will have to pay 2 change fees.

Somthing else to note...Say you want to fly into SDQ, but out of POP..you can book them together (it's called "open jaw"). Thye are viewed as one ticket..(not two one ways)..which somestimes saves a little money.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 931 Posts

El Toro I booked a flight on the 27 of Dec. with JetBlue only it cxl by said comp. I then booked a one way First class from Cont. on the 29th for the nxt day out of EWR!!! Damage was $490 The original plan was five days, but I extended for an additional five, looking at rates everyday for a return...I lucked out and found a return for $150 so the total damage....$680 when it would of cost me about $900 had I booked the same amount of days on the 29th...so you have a very good point

Thanks

I started this thread as it looked like the best idea at the time and worked in the past, but this shit may have bit me in the ass this time because I need to book home still and the fares are not looking to good now. I may have to fly to JFK and have a long commute to NJ upon return or fligh out of SDQ.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 376 Posts

One way is cheaper?

I was pricing a flight from EWR to SDQ. On a round trip, that part of the flight was over $600 on a July Sunday on Continental. Total flight, exiting out of POP, was nearly $1,000

When I put it in as a one way,the EWR to SdQ was cheaper , it came up as $286. half price.

Seems strange. Is there a reason?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Re: One way is cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post
    I was pricing a flight from EWR to SDQ. On a round trip, that part of the flight was over $600 on a July Sunday on Continental. Total flight, exiting out of POP, was nearly $1,000

When I put it in as a one way,the EWR to SdQ was cheaper , it came up as $286. half price.

I do know that the taxes are higher one of the ways I don't know if it is coming or going I would think coming into the Country though.I have done it a couple of times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post

Just for clarification, let me ask. Are you trying to find logic in airline pricing?

You will notice on Kayak that a one stop 6 hr trip may cost $500. The same departure-destination spread out over 20 hours may price out at $1800. I can't explain it.

I always price out a few one way options both ways before I book a RT ticket. A recent Kayak search from POP to SYR priced out at $650. I then found that If I flew first to MIA, and then to SYR, the cost was $350. The latter option did not come up on Kayak. For the $300 saved, I could hang in Miami for a couple of days.

I think Kayak is pretty good, but it is a long ways from perfect. I found that it pays to noodle around a bit with various options, and that two one way tickets will sometimes save money. If you have plenty of time, it also requires less planning and provides more flexibility.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tarrantino For This Useful Post:

TC

Thanks

Try different websites for the best fare. I use airfare.com, cheapoair.com, and kayak.com, which is nice because you can set up to receive emails on fares for the days that you plan on traveling. With the price of fuel going up expect higher prices for now.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rico Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thread Information