Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Returning to the days of 50-1 ?????

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Returning to the days of 50-1 ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    it is also a US territory, not a stand alone country, big difference.

There are many dozens of Islands and most are not as cheap as DR.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    There are many dozens of Islands and most are not as cheap as DR.
    not as big and normally a former colony of a country that gave a shit about (I know I will regret this but) like England. Not easy to make comparisons like you are doing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    catch me up on this. Does Mejia have a chance of winning? Whenever i am driving around santo domingo (from santo domingo to Bani, and ocoa) all i see is billboards for Leonal and Danilo (same party right). I figured they were the ones w/the most money and support?
    After re-reading the thread i recall all my friends who grew up in DR talking about Mejia (they called always referred to him by his 1st name). He was the guy who pretty much turned back the clock 50 years while in office? i dont know the whole history of presidents there. But from what i recall

leonal = the crook
    hipolito = the old man who killed any progress or improvements
    They changed the constitution last year to ban consecutive Presidential runs. So Leonel Fernandez is out of the 2012 elections.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harlem hec View Post
    bring back the days of Balaguer
    Other than Trujillo, Balaguer was one of the most corrupt Presidents they ever had. He also orchestrated the defeat of the first true Black man to win the Countries nomination, Gomez Pena in 1994, through corruption and fraud! Balaguer was then ousted in 1996 before his term was up.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    They changed the constitution last year to ban consecutive Presidential runs. So Leonel Fernandez is out of the 2012 elections.

We really need a reason for much more begging.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Other than Trujillo, Balaguer was one of the most corrupt Presidents they ever had. He also orchestrated the defeat of the first true Black man to win the Countries nomination, Gomez Pena in 1994, through corruption and fraud! Balaguer was then ousted in 1996 before his term was up.
    The hippo was pretty corrupt, it has taken leonel this much time to clean up most of the mess.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,071 Times in 409 Posts

I remember the entire Pena Gomez thing...I was about 10yrs old then and was appalled how everyone was in an uproar! they didnt want a president of haitian decent because they thought he would try amd unite the 2 countries

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harlem hec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harlem hec View Post
    I remember the entire Pena Gomez thing...I was about 10yrs old then and was appalled how everyone was in an uproar! they didnt want a president of haitian decent because they thought he would try amd unite the 2 countries
    Right and then the next go round in 1996, the black man Pena Gomez won the first round but didn't get the 50% as required. Leonel came in 2nd.

But then for the run off election, 2nd place and 3rd place allied with each other to make sure Pena Gomez didn't get in. Those 2 parties hated each other but they allied together. I guess even a hated rival was better than having a BLACK man as your president. So Leonel Fernandez won!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Hay Dios Mio - la politica dominicana!! Un ladron sale del poder para que otro entre!

From what I saw last month, it looks like Dominicans have completely forgotten about the 4 year disaster of Hipolito. I was surprised at all the support he has. PLD doesn't have a good candidate because Leonel has quashed all competition and failed to prepare a successor and Hipolito has tapped into the "caudillo" strongman concept with "Llego Papa" (Daddy's Here!!). It might be the cultural difference, but if a candidate in the US publicly said that he's the father of the country and the voters were his kids, he'd be laughed out of a candidacy. In the DR, that shit works into the colony mindset. Don't forget, this is the same country that tried to sell itself to the USA numerous times and where the white people still refer to their "abuelos de Espana." The inferiority complex is shameful.

As far as the peso rate, bank on it going up. When there's global inflation, count on the DR having at least 2-4x worse inflation than the average.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Right and then the next go round in 1996, the black man Pena Gomez won the first round but didn't get the 50% as required. Leonel came in 2nd.

But then for the run off election, 2nd place and 3rd place allied with each other to make sure Pena Gomez didn't get in. Those 2 parties hated each other but they allied together. I guess even a hated rival was better than having a BLACK man as your president. So Leonel Fernandez won!
    Unfortunately, scenarios like this are all too common in Latin American countries, and the above scenario is rather tame in comparison to the stuff that often goes on backdoors. Shit, in Nicaragua, Ortega joined up with a guy about to go to jail for stealing $100 million as President and agreed to leave him alone in exchange for his party's support and ultimate election.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    Hay Dios Mio - la politica dominicana!! Un ladron sale del poder para que otro entre!

From what I saw last month, it looks like Dominicans have completely forgotten about the 4 year disaster of Hipolito. I was surprised at all the support he has. PLD doesn't have a good candidate because Leonel has quashed all competition and failed to prepare a successor and Hipolito has tapped into the "caudillo" strongman concept with "Llego Papa" (Daddy's Here!!). It might be the cultural difference, but if a candidate in the US publicly said that he's the father of the country and the voters were his kids, he'd be laughed out of a candidacy. In the DR, that shit works into the colony mindset. Don't forget, this is the same country that tried to sell itself to the USA numerous times and where the white people still refer to their "abuelos de Espana." The inferiority complex is shameful.

As far as the peso rate, bank on it going up. When there's global inflation, count on the DR having at least 2-4x worse inflation than the average.
    Good observations.

I too am a little surprised at the current level of support that appears to be behind El Burro.

I have no doubt this will change once the PLD announces it candidate.

Meanwhile social networks are starting some good stuff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlAxcZtn308"]YouTube - Llego tom k papa ni papa[/ame]

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

IMHO, the success is primary related to when Papa was able to devalue the peso to over 55 on avg. The general feeling is that it will increase the flow of tourist and investments into this country. Then there is the most important factor for low income families, the Western Union receipts. I know the argument about prices locally increases, but hey if a chica is getting say US$100 (RD3,750.00) from her WU novio now. Then after Papa is in she can get RD5,500 or more as well as her oversees novio will never have to increase his love payments.. Why would she not vote for Big Papi? It’s not like the price of Presidente or Brugal would increase under a new President.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

My vote is 69-1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4pbXCRemP4"]YouTube - Especial de Chuleta de cerdo Fresca a 69 pesos la libra este 11 y 12 de Febrero en el Bravo[/ame]

‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information