Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarabacoa / Pico Duarte

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: Jarabacoa / Pico Duarte

I met Madiran last week and winged most of the week with him. He's good people and has some great non mongering stories and pics to share.

Besides the Pico Duarte thing, he shared his pics with me of his climb of Kilimanjaro. Very interesting.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    I met Madiran last week and winged most of the week with him. He's good people and has some great non mongering stories and pics to share.

Besides the Pico Duarte thing, he shared his pics with me of his climb of Kilimanjaro. Very interesting.
    Yes, I met him twice briefly and he is a very good guy... Easy going and good to talk with...

I did Pico Duarte almost two years ago. There are two starting points. One which is a two to three day trip from the east side and one that is a six day trip from the other side. I did the six day trip, which included about two days up to a summit area, a day of rest, a day up to the summits of Pico Duarte and its sister peak, which is basically just as high and then back down to the summit and then two days back. I took the mule/donkey (fuck if I know the difference or care) and it was a tough trip up and down climbs and along steep cliffs. It had beautiful views when I could catch my breath. I fell off the donkey at least three times and froze my ass off up on the peak and summit... We are talking winter coats up there as it gets to zero or sub zero at night (Celsius). Would do it again if it were not so darn dangerous from the long side. I was invited to go the first week of January 2013 which is the dry season for that particular part of the island. I declined the invitation, but its generally considered a mark of manhood to do that trip if you carry a donkey load of Brugal and drink it straight with your Dominican amigos...
    Last edited by jose1234; 11-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    Yes, I met him twice briefly and he is a very good guy... Easy going and good to talk with...
    The biggest "mountains" I'm planning on climbing are vendor row at playa sosua or at the Tradewinds.

I hope he plans on sharing his story.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information