Thread: the best and cheapest way to get a data package for unlocked blackberrys and iphones

Thanks

the best and cheapest way to get a data package for unlocked blackberrys and iphones

For those of you looking for a more economical way to get a data package in the DR for your unlocked phone to contact your chicas or use your phone for internet or as a translator, go to Viva phone company there. They offer unlimited data packages for about 700 pesos (a little under $15) per month (no contract) prepaid. Its a lot better than calling your local cell phone company and asking them to add you to their International calling plan each month. Verizon wireless has just eliminated their International unlimited data package, now you pay per megabyte, which almost guarantess that you will get screwed. I highly recommend the Blackberry Storm or the iphone. I have personally done this with the blackberry.

unlocked iphones and blackberrys can be found a little cheaper on ebay or craigslist

Viva, a wireless operator in the Dominican Republic, offers an array of advanced product offerings over its 3G CDMA and new GSM wireless networks. Service offerings include wireless voice and data services as well as broadband and termination and origination of international long distance. It’s advanced 3G CDMA wireless network is overlaid with EVDO to enable the provision of highspeed wireless broadband service and it’s brand new GSM network covers 100% of its CDMA network in addition to a wider coverage area. Customers have three payment options: postpaid, prepaid and a hybrid plan. Viva stresses a simple, compelling value proposition, quality of service, a technologically advanced network, convenient access and superior customer service. http://www.viva.com.do

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to I give nothing to I.S.O.C. For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: the best and cheapest way to get a data package for unlocked blackberrys and ipho

and try comcel and movistar in Colombia, they are eqivilant to about $15 per month also

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I give nothing to I.S.O.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: the best and cheapest way to get a data package for unlocked blackberrys and ipho

Would this also apply to 3G service for an iPad as well? There is a reggaeton app with 11 digital stations in addition to other cool features that can help set the ambiance. A reliable internet connection is required. The DR WiFi is shaky in many locations.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr McGlovin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I honestly do not know, when I had the internet aka data pakage for my phone it was done through the sim card, but this same company offers wireless internet cards too that plugs into the usb port, Im not very familiar with the ipads, if the ipads have a usb port Im sure u can buy a wireless internet card and plug it into the usb port... go to http://www.viva.com.do for more details on that

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I give nothing to I.S.O.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey NDNS,

iPads work a bit different, everything is internal. No USB ports, thanks a lot Steve Jobs, but I do have an adapter that might do the trick. Otherwise I may use the WiFi option but the service is crap.

Gracias

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr McGlovin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

lol...that sucks, no usb and no hard drive, you might as well just get a laptop...lol... I guess the ipad is just an oversized iphone that you cant make regular telephone call on....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I give nothing to I.S.O.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

has anyone used a droid 2 unlocked phone for prepaid data or intrrnetin DR or Colombia if so which companies did you use and how was the service?

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nodramanostress View Post
    For those of you looking for a more economical way to get a data package in the DR for your unlocked phone to contact your chicas or use your phone for internet or as a translator, go to Viva phone company there. They offer unlimited data packages for about 700 pesos (a little under $15) per month (no contract) prepaid. Its a lot better than calling your local cell phone company and asking them to add you to their International calling plan each month. Verizon wireless has just eliminated their International unlimited data package, now you pay per megabyte, which almost guarantess that you will get screwed. I highly recommend the Blackberry Storm or the iphone. I have personally done this with the blackberry.

unlocked iphones and blackberrys can be found a little cheaper on ebay or craigslist

Viva, a wireless operator in the Dominican Republic, offers an array of advanced product offerings over its 3G CDMA and new GSM wireless networks. Service offerings include wireless voice and data services as well as broadband and termination and origination of international long distance. It’s advanced 3G CDMA wireless network is overlaid with EVDO to enable the provision of highspeed wireless broadband service and it’s brand new GSM network covers 100% of its CDMA network in addition to a wider coverage area. Customers have three payment options: postpaid, prepaid and a hybrid plan. Viva stresses a simple, compelling value proposition, quality of service, a technologically advanced network, convenient access and superior customer service. http://www.viva.com.do
    Thanks for the info but I'm not sure that Viva have too many service centers around the North Coast so to get this plan in Sosua/Cabarete may be a little difficult.

Claro also offer a pre-paid unlimited data plan. For Blackberry http://www.claro.com.do/contenido.aspx?id=444

I would bet that Orange do too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Thanks for the info but I'm not sure that Viva have too many service centers around the North Coast so to get this plan in Sosua/Cabarete may be a little difficult.

Claro also offer a pre-paid unlimited data plan. For Blackberry http://www.claro.com.do/contenido.aspx?id=444

I would bet that Orange do too.
    Yep.

Claro even offers "less than 30 days" plans. You can get access for any stretch of time, such as a week, a long weekend, or even for just one day.

The catch is, you can't walk in today and get it for today, I think there's a 24 hr lead time, or some nonsense like that.

Claro wants your money, son!!
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Which place would be best to get a wireless Internet device that would support multiple connections during a 2 week stay in the DR? I'd like to be able to work during the day for the first week (I telecommute) so that I don't lose too much vacation time, but can still enjoy the nightlife.

I'd love to be able to look up this stuff myself, but my spanish is vitually non-existent. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nodramanostress View Post

Will Android phones work on this plan? I was talking to a girl who worked for Orange back in June 2011 and they said Android will not work yet in the DR and is only available on Blackberries.

I have an unlocked Droid Milestone, which I plan to replace with another newer android or windows phone, and hate blackberries.

Thread Information