Kola Boof, on her ex, Osama bin Laden, on white women:
He would humiliate me by making me dance naked. It was such a strange thing, because for the most part he believed music was evil. If a guest at the estate played music, he would cover his ears until the "poison" was silenced. But other times he would become this devout party boy who wanted to hear Van Halen or some B-52's. To this day I hear the song "Rock Lobster" in my sleep. I would be jerking around like a white girl-- "Dance like a Caucasoid girl!" he would say-- and his eyes would track me from one side of the terrace to the other.
- from DIARY OF A LOST GIRL, an autobiography (via matt fraction)Retired USFS Ambassador Chas W. Freeman, Jr., on Caligula:
We are gathered together to reflect upon our country's adoption of Caligula's motto for effective foreign policy - ODERINT DUM METUANT - "let them hate us, as long as they fear us."... Some, many of whom seem to inhabit the bubble universe created by our media as an alternative to the real world, agree with Caligula and the cult of his followers in the Administration and on the Hill. They think it's just fine for foreigners to hate us as long as we've got the drop on them and are in a position to string 'em up. They're surprised that "shock and awe" has so far proven to be an inadequate substitute for strategy, but they're eager to try it again and again on the theory that, if force doesn't work the first time, the answer is to apply more force. Others seem to be in denial. That's the only way I can explain the notion of "transformational diplomacy" coming up at this time. Look, I'm all for the missionary position. But, let's face it, it's hard to get it on with foreigners when you've lost your sex appeal.
- from Remarks to the United States Information Agency Alumni Association, October 4, 2006 in Washington, DC (via Richard Bluestein)

More...