Thread: Passport is almost expiring

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Passport is almost expiring

I haven't seen or read anything about this so I thought I would ask and maybe someone might know.

My passport expires in mid August. I have a trip scheduled for the DR in June. Is there a minimum amount of time necessary for entry to the DR that makes your passport valid? I will have less than 60 days left before mine expires upon returning. Do DR immigration officials require you to have, for example, 3 months or some other time frame, left on your passport prior to it expiring? Have any of you guys traveled to the DR with less than 2 months or so left on your passport? If so, did immigration ask you any questions about it?

I just took the passport photos and filled out the renewal form. But it could take up to 6 weeks, maybe more (it is the government after all) and I am reluctant to send it off for fear of not having it mailed back before I am suppose to leave. Expedited service is an option, but that is a whole lot more cash. Plus, if you want the additional pages, thats a lot more too.

A renewed passport with additional pages and expedited service is now over $200 dollars. WTF??

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Re: Passport is almost expiring

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I haven't seen or read anything about this so I thought I would ask and maybe someone might know.

My passport expires in mid August. I have a trip scheduled for the DR in June. Is there a minimum amount of time necessary for entry to the DR that makes your passport valid? I will have less than 60 days left before mine expires upon returning. Do DR immigration officials require you to have, for example, 3 months or some other time frame, left on your passport prior to it expiring? Have any of you guys traveled to the DR with less than 2 months or so left on your passport? If so, did immigration ask you any questions about it?

I just took the passport photos and filled out the renewal form. But it could take up to 6 weeks, maybe more (it is the government after all) and I am reluctant to send it off for fear of not having it mailed back before I am suppose to leave. Expedited service is an option, but that is a whole lot more cash. Plus, if you want the additional pages, thats a lot more too.

A renewed passport with additional pages and expedited service is now over $200 dollars. WTF??

I got mine under 3 weeks.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The DR is NOT on the list of countries where your passport can not expire within 6 months of Travel.. Some countries ARE on that List but the DR is 100 % NOT on that list. As long as your passport is VALID and NOT expired, you are GOOD to GO..
    I confirned this verbally over the phone, with a woman at the Dominican Consulate just a couple weeks ago...

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

You need 6 months of unexpired time left on your passport for travel to most countries.

I went through this bullshit a while back and had to renew quickly. I was informed the reason is if ,for example, you are laid up in hospital for a long period and your passport expires it is a bitch for consular/embassies to deal with it.

Whether or not the DR immigration will pick up on it I don't know but their passport control systems are 1st world standard.

Do you want to take the chance?

Shall I tell the locals that the hombre de culebra is coming back?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    The DR is NOT on the list of countries where your passport can not expire within 6 months of Travel.. Some countries ARE on that List but the DR is 100 % NOT on that list. As long as your passport is VALID and NOT expired, you are GOOD to GO..
    I confirned this verbally over the phone, with a woman at the Dominican Consulate just a couple weeks ago...
    Thanks jd. I had heard that certain countries would not allow you to enter if you had fewer than 6 months, or whatever, left on your passport but didn't know which ones. Was hoping the DR was not one of them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

I have traveled with less time than what you have on my passport.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Thanks JD your info is correct.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Consulate General
    of Dominican Republic
    1501 Broadway, New York, NY 10036 (212) 768-2481 ‎

call this # on monday and ask them...
    Your travel can not be restricted if you passport is expiring in a couple monts.. If The consulate woman was lying to me thats on her.
    Also I had found a website which had a LIST of countries where the 6 month rule IS ENFORCED. I will see if I can find it..
    The DR was NOT on that list.. This was my DOUBLE CHECK.

I really would find it hard to believe that The Dom Consulate here in NYC where we have SO many Domincan Nationals etc... would blatantly lie about something such as this... She was VERY SURE about it
    But I guess safest thing is to renew, if you got the time... it does take about 6 weeks...

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

On my 2nd to last trip my passport expired 6 days after I was scheduled to leave the DR. No problems entering or exiting.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that all that is required to visit the DR is photo ID - a passport is not required. I know for a fact DRdreamer has gone with just photo ID and no passport without any problems.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    On my 2nd to last trip my passport expired 6 days after I was scheduled to leave the DR. No problems entering or exiting.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that all that is required to visit the DR is photo ID - a passport is not required. I know for a fact DRdreamer has gone with just photo ID and no passport without any problems.

That may be for Canadians, but you have to have a passport to come back into the U.S.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Also I had found a website which had a LIST of countries where the 6 month rule IS ENFORCED. I will see if I can find it

For U.S. citizens, the best website in the world for these questions is the State Department's. It has info on every country in the world, including entry and exit requirements, as well as a link to that country's consulate site.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1103.html

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey guys, I really appreciate the info. I will probably pop the rubber band off the pimp roll and git er done this week with the faster service. I will worry about getting the extra pages when or if I need them prior to this new one expiring in 2021.

Shit, in another 10 years, a passport renewal will probably run $300!

And Willie, you can tell anyone you know that I'm coming back. Just by chance, there hasn't been any chica running naked out into the street claiming she saw the devil lately, has there? If so, it wasn't me!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

Hey guys, I really appreciate the info. I will probably pop the rubber band off the pimp roll and git er done this week with the faster service. I will worry about getting the extra pages when or if I need them prior to this new one expiring in 2021.

Shit, in another 10 years, a passport renewal will probably run $300!

And Willie, you can tell anyone you know that I'm coming back. Just by chance, there hasn't been any chica running naked out into the street claiming she saw the devil lately, has there? If so, it wasn't me!
    I remember reading about that on here.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes...and in a gross case of mistaken identity, somehow I figured in on that senario while I was there. I had Haitianas following me down PC as if I was some Pied Piper yelling at me, all thinking I was a serpent. Even just sitting in Merengue, they all would be staring at me and murmuring amongst themselves thinking I was some Anti-Christ or something.

Hope they are gone or at least have forgotten this handsome little devil!

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Thanks jd. I had heard that certain countries would not allow you to enter if you had fewer than 6 months, or whatever, left on your passport but didn't know which ones. Was hoping the DR was not one of them.
    i renewed my passport in feb just before kevy and i went to vegas. it was set to expire 5 months and 28 days after entry from c anada to the usa and since it was my first time south of the border in almost 10 years i didnt want to take a chance.

i got sent to secondaryand the immigration guy said i would have been allowed in but technically they didnt have to, so i am glad i did renew......plus it was getting pretty full anyway
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    my understanding is that all that is required to visit the DR is photo ID - a passport is not required.
    from canada going to the dr it definatly was that way as i never had a passport until 2006 when we did our turkey day cisoc cuban invasion

when travelling to the dr from canada we only needed our drivers liscence or picture id

33. The Following User Says Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

TC

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    from canada going to the dr it definatly was that way as i never had a passport until 2006 when we did our turkey day cisoc cuban invasion

when travelling to the dr from canada we only needed our drivers liscence or picture id
    DR will let anybody in. Even me.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just wanted to report an update. I went ahead and mailed off my passport for renewal. I sent it out on a Tuesday and I received it back in the mail on the Thursday of the next week. Apparently, if you cough up the extra scratch, the hard working people of the U.S. Government respond in a more expeditious manner. Who says gov't bureaucracy is slow.

Now if I could have only taken a better mug shot for my photo. I am barely more handsome than jonew's old avatar. I will have to look at it until April 2021!

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thread Information