Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 04/2011 - SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Glad to see you're sticking around balcoach. Look forward to hopefully having a beer or two when I'm down. I would guess that not much work gets done in your "office"?

Maybe you could gather some of the local kids together and teach them a little bit of America's greatest game. How to attack a zone, how to read the defensive end on an option, how to throw the ball to the receiver's outside shoulder on a fade route so only he can catch it, how to pick up a blitz, how to......aw hell, just chill out and have a cold one on the beach.
    He does not know that much about baseball.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    He does not know that much about baseball.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Balcoach it's good to see someone besides Robert and Weyland living the dream. Yeah that's just me being envious, but anyway it's great that you can take some time away and decompress.

Also, I think you bought the class Dominican ride--drop top and something that can handle the pot holes and it's too ugly to mess up.

Enjoy your time or new life in paradise.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Also, I think you bought the class Dominican ride--drop top and something that can handle the pot holes and it's too ugly to mess up.
    That it is, I paid extra for no exterior door handle security system and the string to open from the inside, that runs to the bed of the jeep when the windows are up because of rain. This Photo is remiss of the heavy duty contruction rack that was welded atop the jeep upon purchase, I cut that off.

It is high quality and its funny when chicas see me with the MARIPOSA, they are used to the gringos (like Robert) with the high end JEEPETA's, but us ordinary folk, just try to blend in to the culture!

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SOSUA, RD Tuesday 19 April, 2011

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

After this I went to the office and put some time in at the office
    Click this bar to view the full image.

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

I have been on a hunt for a location since February and its a challenge.
    Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

For that kind of scratch i could buy the whole damn corner!

So this is one of the things that occupies my time on a daily basis.

10. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Balcoach, just curious, would you be interested in a bar on Sosua Beach?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    I am!!!
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by givengo440 View Post
    I am!!!
    Since I have a hotel and bar, I hear rumors and etc. about this and that going on. I'll put out the word in my circle and when something is available, I'll let you know.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    SOSUA, RD Tuesday 19 April, 2011

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

After this I went to the office and put some time in at the office
    Click to see picClick this bar to view the full image.Click to see pic

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

Coach what she thought you were trying to open up a Bar or La Passions 2

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post

+++++++++++++++++++

I guess you want to turn your world upside down.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post

I guess some guys like throwing away their money.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

There have been many many failed expat buisness in Sosua, and some great ones. The 2 'small bars' that I know of that always seem to have customers are C'est La Vie and 4 Roses.

The things they have in common:

1) Decent prices
    2) Great staff. I frequent both of those places just to talk to the bartenders - and so do many other people.
    3) Good music - played at a level that the customers can still talk.
    4) A bar to sit at and tables.
    5) No food - stick to what you know and keep it simple.
    6) Clean washrooms.
    7) Open to the street so you can watch the world go by.
    8) Fans for when it gets to hot for gringos.

Not saying doing those things will garner sucsess - but it's a start. I would hire Maria from 4 Roses to run the bar and try to get some of the girls from CLV to work there.

Plus a giant ISOC discount.

24. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    There have been many many failed expat buisness in Sosua, and some great ones. The 2 'small bars' that I know of that always seem to have customers are C'est La Vie and 4 Roses.

The things they have in common:

1) Decent prices
    2) Great staff. I frequent both of those places just to talk to the bartenders - and so do many other people.
    3) Good music - played at a level that the customers can still talk.
    4) A bar to sit at and tables.
    5) No food - stick to what you know and keep it simple.

Not saying doing those things will garner sucsess - but it's a start. I would hire Maria from 4 Roses to run the bar and try to get some of the girls from CLV to work there.

Plus a giant ISOC discount.

How can you have great prices and give discounts? Wouldn't having great prices be the draw?

If women hang out there, you better get ready with the bribe money.

4 Roses has been there long before I ever got there. I think he ownes the property.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The ISOC discount was a joke - noticed it is not numbered. Both of those bars have very few putas hanging around.

The guy that owns 4 Roses also owns the apartments back behind the bar.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The ISOC discount was a joke - noticed it is not numbered. Both of those bars have very few putas hanging around.

The guy that owns 4 Roses also owns the apartments back behind the bar.

I think he has owned it for at least 15 years if not more. I missed the joke, as usual.

But as you can see, places that are making money usually aren't are for sale.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not saying buy one of those - I am saying model your place after those. Those two joints are making money - of course they are not for sale.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm not saying buy one of those - I am saying model your place after those. Those two joints are making money - of course they are not for sale.

First off, one needs to know how to run a bar and second, what will that new bar have that all the others don't.

Since 2000, I have seen many come and fail.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am not saying it is going to work - I am saying if you are going to try give yourself the best chance possible. I provided a list of 8 things above that almost all of the other bars don't have (collectivley).

The most important being great staff - you can get a beer anywhere.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Four roses and dominos next door used to be packed up until about 11 or 12 at night. It was actually good place to go before the disco, then it was a place to avoid for a while. the last few years I stop by now and again. I dont really stay near there so i dont end up over there much. My first few trips i pulled many chicas out of there.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you gentleman for your input. All ideas are welcome.

Just to get a few facts straight, the owner at 4 Roses now has been there about 2 years. The old vets Mattias and Ollie sold out to this guy and actually the prices at 4 Roses are some of the higher prices considering overhead.

All is well though. I do appreciate all the thoughts and opinions, and I am in no hurry to pull the trigger. Only if the right situation comes along.

BTW Jimmy, If I would chose such an endeavor it would not be for the money.

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information