Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 04/2011 - SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Re: SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

Why not gove a thought to speaking with Lou, as it seems everytime i been there the last few times, he is always away and it is closed.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Lou's problem is pretty simple. From my experience only.... the location, food, and pricing is great, but the service is some of the worst in Sosua. I have never been there when Lou is around, only when locals are working there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    BTW Jimmy, If I would chose such an endeavor it would not be for the money.

You will get much more than you ever bargined for. Doing business in DR, its like no other experience.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Thank you gentleman for your input. All ideas are welcome.

Just to get a few facts straight, the owner at 4 Roses now has been there about 2 years. The old vets Mattias and Ollie sold out to this guy and actually the prices at 4 Roses are some of the higher prices considering overhead.

All is well though. I do appreciate all the thoughts and opinions, and I am in no hurry to pull the trigger. Only if the right situation comes along.

BTW Jimmy, If I would chose such an endeavor it would not be for the money.
    i wish you all the best but after owning my own bar and grille its NEVER AGAIN for me

from fucking rude and down right stupid customers to employee theft and gment ripoffs and overhead it was costing me 8gs/month to keep it open or 4gs/month to keep it closed i closed mine and its up for sale waiting for the next entreprenour ( i will make my losses up in the real estate gains but the extra gray hair wasn't worth it)

btw; i have had/tried/presently own so many businesses if you are not going into it for the money then don't go into.........get a hobby (isoc) its cheaper and better on your blood pressure

but its your money and your health so up to you and again all the best
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    He does not know that much about baseball.
    But he is very knowlegable about the NBA and track and field as I have learned in our conversations.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Laughing Re: SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

SOSUA, RD Tuesday 19 April, 2011

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

After this I went to the office and put some time in at the office
    Click to see picClick this bar to view the full image.Click to see pic

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

I have been on a hunt for a location since February and its a challenge.
    Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

For that kind of scratch i could buy the whole damn corner!

So this is one of the things that occupies my time on a daily basis.
    You have exercised good judgement!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

After a couple of month's being here making runs to POP and other locations using rental cars and etc. I broke down and bought one of the finer vehichles here on the north coast.

Click to see pic

This piece of shit runs like hell and is ugly enough no one wants to fuck with it at all. Dr. BoB made an approval of the purchase, so I pulled the trigger and have been happy with my purchase.

Within the first week of having the aforementioned buggy, aka MARIPOSA, 3 or 4 people asked me if i would like to sell it, so I feel good that i can get my money back if the time comes.
    I rember you showing me it before I left.I hope it works out.If you move in to my old apt.Don't be suprised if you hear Chicas at that window calling my name

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks

SOSUA, RD Tuesday 19 April, 2011

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

After this I went to the office and put some time in at the office
    Click to see picClick this bar to view the full image.Click to see pic

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

I have been on a hunt for a location since February and its a challenge.
    Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

For that kind of scratch i could buy the whole damn corner!

So this is one of the things that occupies my time on a daily basis.
    It is a shame that that is pretty much the only block people will frequent there.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    from fucking rude and down right stupid customers
    Just a guess here, but it's quite possible that some of the patrons may not have felt the huge priority that was put on customer service.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

SOSUA, RD 20 April, 2011

I was sitting in my second home, Winner's Circle, kind of like Norm at Cheers. We had enjoyed some pizza with the crew, and a gentleman entered the bar from the side street. He seemed kinda of laid back, dressed well, ready for the evening.

This fine gentleman was standing beside me, and turned away toward the street, and then turned back and said is that your car...

Why yes I said, he said you must be balcoach, i recognize that fine auto from ISOC. I had the pleasure of meeting "Mr. Black". He told me I was the first ISOC member he had ever met in person.

How about that, the ugly jeep, aka the MARIPOSA, its reputation preceeds itself already. This gentleman, Mr. Black, definately has fine taste in classic automobiles.

Thank you for your gracious compliments!

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Very good to meet you Coach...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Good Luck with eveything KEKO! Its always a pleasure kicking it with you. Definately had a fun time driving around Sosua in that fine automobile last month! I look foward to reading your daily updates. -Tom
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

SOSUA/LA UNION, RD SEMANA SANTA 2011

Semana Santa has come and gone and along with the Mucho Dominican visitors to the north coast...sosua, cabarette, POP, it is back to somewhat of our normal existance.

The did some work on the roads here prior to the weekend to try to slowdown on the accidents and they also wasted some paint on the roads. The more I drive and get around, I find that street lights, road signs and the lines on the roads are merely SUGGESTIONS!!

Good Friday I was invited to a dinner/lunch in the the "La Cahoba" area of La Union, which is up a curvy dirt road, that the MARIPOSA had no problems handling!

I have a very lovely young 18 year old amiga who lives there with here mother and brother's and sisters who have grown quite fond of the fatman!!!

It was a wonderful afternoon of eating and drinking and laughing amongst family and friends. Truly is good to see you can enjoy so much with so little.
    Was fed a great meal of Rice, Guandoles and Backalou (which is like a fish stirfry).

I had been to my friends house a few times at night, but this was the first time in the day time, and smack dab in what you would call her "front yard" is a cock fighting pit. I asked when? Saturday Mornings. I asked could a gringo come? Yes, especially if they know you are here with us.
    So next saturday, count me in!!

Sunday afternoon, LaUnion and her friend and sister came by the house to swim and then we went out to dinner, and low and behold we run into a tipsy Dr. Bob... he was such a gentleman to cover his exposed chest as we were getting our dinner.

All in all a good weekend. And now a start to the slow season.

26. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balcoach;94400p7
    SOSUA/LA UNION, RD SEMANA SANTA 2011

Semana Santa has come and gone and along with the Mucho Dominican visitors to the north coast...sosua, cabarette, POP, it is back to somewhat of our normal existance.

The did some work on the roads here prior to the weekend to try to slowdown on the accidents and they also wasted some paint on the roads. The more I drive and get around, I find that street lights, road signs and the lines on the roads are merely SUGGESTIONS!!

Good Friday I was invited to a dinner/lunch in the the "La Cahoba" area of La Union, which is up a curvy dirt road, that the MARIPOSA had no problems handling!

I have a very lovely young 18 year old amiga who lives there with here mother and brother's and sisters who have grown quite fond of the fatman!!!

It was a wonderful afternoon of eating and drinking and laughing amongst family and friends. Truly is good to see you can enjoy so much with so little.
    Was fed a great meal of Rice, Guandoles and Backalou (which is like a fish stirfry).

Click to see pic

I had been to my friends house a few times at night, but this was the first time in the day time, and smack dab in what you would call her "front yard" is a cock fighting pit. I asked when? Saturday Mornings. I asked could a gringo come? Yes, especially if they know you are here with us.
    So next saturday, count me in!!

Click to see pic

Sunday afternoon, LaUnion and her friend and sister came by the house to swim and then we went out to dinner, and low and behold we run into a tipsy Dr. Bob... he was such a gentleman to cover his exposed chest as we were getting our dinner.

All in all a good weekend. And now a start to the slow season.
    Balcoach what months are considered slow season?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryatt View Post
    Balcoach what months are considered slow season?
    Basically when it gets hot in the definetly June,July and August you probably can throw may in there also.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    Basically when it gets hot in the definetly June,July and August you probably can throw may in there also.
    so with the exception of Memorial Day, May, June, July is slow season? cool

31. The Following User Says Thank You to papirazzi For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

I believe what's recognized as slow season starts about the fourth week of April and ends with October.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I believe what's recognized as slow season starts about the fourth week of April and ends with October.

Sheet that's when I get it started slow season my ass...

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    My experience has been that most vacation rental owners and travel agents list slow season as beginning on April 15th and ending on Nov. 15th. And before the recent hikes in airfares, ticket prices used to drop around 4/15.

But that's probably a rough estimation.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    My experience has been that most vacation rental owners and travel agents list slow season as beginning on April 15th and ending on Nov. 15th. And before the recent hikes in airfares, ticket prices used to drop around 4/15.

But that's probably a rough estimation.
    Like I was saying it is pretty much when there are decent temeratures elsewhere June,July and August are the slowest Months.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information