Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/2011 - Ex Pats That Fall

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

04/2011 - Ex Pats That Fall

What's up fellas,

Every time I go to Sosua now I see an ex-pat that seems nearly homeless now. When I first met him hanging out at NG he seemed to be doing well for himself and that he had an online hustle that was allowing him to live well there.

Some guys move to DR or other countries to enjoy the good life on comfortable pensions or reasonable cash reserves. Some relocate with business plans that don't always work out, or without a real plan, help the wrong people, get suckered for their stash or for whatever reason end up down and out and broke.

Some don't want to go home because they don't want to return to the US feeling like a failure embarrassed.

Do you know any ex-pats like this? Do you throw a few pesos their direction when visiting or sasy fuck em they CAN move back or have family somewhere or should've never moved without better plans, and are better off than most locales?

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Ex Pats That Fall

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post

Some guys move to DR or other countries to enjoy the good life on comfortable pensions or reasonable cash reserves. Some relocate with business plans that don't always work out, or without a real plan, help the wrong people, get suckered for their stash or for whatever reason end up down and out and broke.

About 98% will fail.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What's up fellas,

Do you know any ex-pats like this? Do you throw a few pesos their direction when visiting or sasy fuck em they CAN move back or have family somewhere or should've never moved without better plans, and are better off than most locales?

I knew a few there, but, they decided that they would beat the odds and failed, so too bad for them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Why are these guys any different from the ones you see along the way to work, or home. We don't chat with most of them, or do we?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Why are these guys any different from the ones you see along the way to work, or home. We don't chat with most of them, or do we?
    I see your point JDR.

I see them a little differently because they were often mongers first that moved to our vacation paradise and a foreign land. Also, being able and willing to work doesn't mean much for them just like the illegals here. The script is flipped in that sense.

The common connection (monger-DR-US) is different than a random homeless person on the street in the US and some may have different opinions about helping or not helping them.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I see your point JDR.

I see them a little differently because they were often mongers first that moved to our vacation paradise and a foreign land. Also, being able and willing to work doesn't mean much for them just like the illegals here. The script is flipped in that sense.

The common connection (monger-DR-US) is different than a random homeless person on the street in the US and some may have different opinions about helping or not helping them.

Along the way, I met guys that were ready to quit their jobs and start up a business there. Well, at that point, I realized, they were not all there and it was time to move on. I don't know anyone that has succeeded there.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Along the way, I met guys that were ready to quit their jobs and start up a business there. Well, at that point, I realized, they were not all there and it was time to move on. I don't know anyone that has succeeded there.
    Peter at Passions, the woman that owns Bailey's, ohmmmmm - just to name a few.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    Peter at Passions, the woman that owns Bailey's, ohmmmmm - just to name a few.

Peter was there before we got there. He was living there 20 years. He is not one of us nor are the owners from Baileys.

The baileys people have been in the restaurant business for many years, so they say.

Lets revisit this in 10 years and you can tell me how many of the guys that you met on monger trips succeeded.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

anyone that I know of that had started a business in foreign has failed.......
    even guys with very deep pockets.....there are a lot of minefields and some you don't even see coming...
    usually it starts out as a dream and ends up a nightmare......nah tru

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It sounds like a better plan if you have fairly deep pockets or substantial savings would be to just budget that money out per month over years to live off than to invest in a business on a roll of the dice there.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

I met 4 Ex-Pats on this past trip.

All very much in control of thier situation. Far from homeless and Happy as fuck!

Some dudes just go out there on a whim, thinking they could survive on a minimum, then the cost of living rises and they are shit outta luck. Other guys are just plain dumb.
    I've offended you.....goood

22. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

I see your point JDR.

The way I think of it is... would your being American make this expat do things for you, if he were successful?

I'm thinking that you might get a little conversation, particularly if you had something in common like where you live, your line of work, or something like that...

But do you think he would give you a better rate?

If not... I don't see any reason that you should partially subsidize his failures...

He should go home and try to get things moving again where he has family (maybe) and really fits in.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

All the ex pats, I met in the DR, seem to be doing really well. Jihad, Lou, Fred, Rob and Serra and the Cubana cafe. They all are business owners. Now Brazil is a different story. The DR welcomes foreign business, but Brazil is so corrupt, their goal is to crush foreign business. In 15 years of travel, I only saw one foreign business, exist longer than one year, and in the end, they got him too. I saw ex pats homeless and living in the favela's 8 deep with whores. Guys would go there, get turned out by the girls and quit their 6 figure job, and when they ran out of money, the whores would dump them. Its tough, one night you see a guy mongering in Help and a few years later you see him, begging for food on the streets of Brazil.
    Last edited by TONYTNT40; 04-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTNT40 View Post
    All the ex pats, I met in the DR, seem to be doing really well. Jihad, Lou, Fred, Rob and Serra and the Cubana cafe. They all are business owners. Now Brazil is a different story. The DR welcomes foreign business, but Brazil is so corrupt, their goal is to crush foreign business. In 15 years of travel, I only saw one foreign business, exist longer than one year, and in the end, they got him too. I saw ex pats homeless and living in the favela's 8 deep with whores. Guys would go there, get turned out by the girls and quit their 6 figure job, and when they ran out of money, the whores would dump them. Its tough, one noight you see a guy mongering in Help and a few years later you see him, begging for food on the streets of Brazil.
    #thataintwinning

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Peter was there before we got there. He was living there 20 years. He is not one of us nor are the owners from Baileys.

The baileys people have been in the restaurant business for many years, so they say.

Lets revisit this in 10 years and you can tell me how many of the guys that you met on monger trips succeeded.
    I thought the topic was ex-pats that fail, not mongers that fail. You are right about one thing. The stupid ones will fail running a buisness - monger or not.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    I thought the topic was ex-pats that fail, not mongers that fail. You are right about one thing. The stupid ones will fail running a buisness - monger or not.

Take the guy with apartments on here. He went there to invest in apartments and should succeed.

There are many guys on the run from the Law and they settle in these places.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Take the guy with apartments on here. He went there to invest in apartments and should succeed.

There are many guys on the run from the Law and they settle in these places.
    My Pops did not hurt that girl!!

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

In AR, it can be done. El Alamo, opened the most successful bar in BA. They recently opened in Medellin, Asuncion, and Key West. The Casa Bar, owned by another American is also doing well. I hear your competitor. Jackson, at ISG, is also doing well.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    In AR, it can be done. El Alamo, opened the most successful bar in BA. They recently opened in Medellin, Asuncion, and Key West. The Casa Bar, owned by another American is also doing well. I hear your competitor. Jackson, at ISG, is also doing well.

Then why would you move to DR, after all, you seem to be having a very bad time here?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post

I believe we are talking about the Sosua area? I can't talk about places that I have never been, like some others do all the time.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information