Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/2011 - Ex Pats That Fall

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Re: 04/2011 - Ex Pats That Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    But you are not an Ex Pat.
    ...and never will be. My Dad was an ex-pat down in old Mexico and sharing his experience was enough for me.

It's funny, all the ex-pat's would gather down in their favorite coffee shop at the Square in Cuernavaca and talk about Mexicans the same way they talk about Dominicans on DR1. Their favorite stories were about how they were using the country's runaway inflation to give their employees raises without really giving them raises, they needed little stories like that to make themselves feel smart and superior. Not my style at all.

On one visit I came down with a bag of wire nuts and capped every last electrical connection in his place (it was a big place) and Guys from the local power company were looking at the shit like "whoa!" so I gave them what I had left. I also brought down a Sola transformer which saved him from replacing the refrigerator compressor 4 times a year. Living in "Paradise" lacks the conveniences that we take for granted every day and to some it becomes very annoying after a while.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    ...and never will be. My Dad was an ex-pat down in old Mexico and sharing his experience was enough for me.

It's funny, all the ex-pat's would gather down in their favorite coffee shop at the Square in Cuernavaca and talk about Mexicans the same way they talk about Dominicans on DR1. Their favorite stories were about how they were using the country's runaway inflation to give their employees raises without really giving them raises, they needed little stories like that to make themselves feel smart and superior. Not my style at all.

On one visit I came down with a bag of wire nuts and capped every last electrical connection in his place (it was a big place) and Guys from the local power company were looking at the shit like "whoa!" so I gave them what I had left. I also brought down a Sola transformer which saved him from replacing the refrigerator compressor 4 times a year. Living in "Paradise" lacks the conveniences that we take for granted every day and to some it becomes very annoying after a while.
    See, when you drop at whatever age, all your shit goes to your kids.

when I drop, its that many more days I could have had annoying people on vacation

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

See, when you drop at whatever age, all your shit goes to your kids.

when I drop, its that many more days I could have had annoying people on vacation
    My Kids are getting everything they're gonna get right now. I don't plan to leave shit. There won't be anyone fighting over money at my funeral and those tears will be real when the will is read.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My Kids are getting everything they're gonna get right now. I don't plan to leave shit. There won't be anyone fighting over money at my funeral and those tears will be real when the will is read.
    No way you will spend that last paycheck

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No way you will spend that last paycheck
    How did you think they were going to pay for the urn?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

How did you think they were going to pay for the urn?
    You better be pre paid or its going to be a coffee can.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You better be pre paid or its going to be a coffee can.
    You think I'm going to notice or even care? Once I'm out, I'm out. I'll have a whole new set of adventures to attend to.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You think I'm going to notice or even care? Once I'm out, I'm out. I'll have a whole new set of adventures to attend to.
    I will be waiting for you with a pint of ice cream and a pepsi.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,264 Times in 11,768 Posts

There's no bed of roses without its thorns. You're doing what's right for you, and obviously, you're enjoying life your way.

I'm still curious about the expat life, and I wonder how I'd get along with it ... but as of now, I have some "excuses" that I use to hold myself back in my old, accustomed track. (Or "comfortable rut.") I daydream over International Living, and wonder how it would be to actually live in some of the destinations I've visited over the years ... that started with a Mobile Training Team junket to Uruguay, sixteen years ago. I realize, from Yayow's stories, and Camaro's, and those of others who are living in the DR now, that the expat experience is quite different from visiting as a tourist. But my situation left me reluctant to stay away any longer.

When that situation changes, as it certainly will, I'm likely to give the expat life a try ... maybe on SeaWeed's model, at first; spending a few months at a time in some "potential paradise," but keeping my home (for the time being) and not cutting all of my ties.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    There's no bed of roses without its thorns. You're doing what's right for you, and obviously, you're enjoying life your way.

I'm still curious about the expat life, and I wonder how I'd get along with it ... but as of now, I have some "excuses" that I use to hold myself back in my old, accustomed track. (Or "comfortable rut.") I daydream over International Living, and wonder how it would be to actually live in some of the destinations I've visited over the years ... that started with a Mobile Training Team junket to Uruguay, sixteen years ago. I realize, from Yayow's stories, and Camaro's, and those of others who are living in the DR now, that the expat experience is quite different from visiting as a tourist. But my situation left me reluctant to stay away any longer.

When that situation changes, as it certainly will, I'm likely to give the expat life a try ... maybe on SeaWeed's model, at first; spending a few months at a time in some "potential paradise," but keeping my home (for the time being) and not cutting all of my ties.
    For me there are so many places to see that I can't see spending all of my time in one location

Once I get to the point that I don't have perceived obligations that keep me in the USA I can see spending much more time in other overseas destinations but never in one spot.

Like maybe 2-3 months at a time in region of a country and than move on to someplace else.

Keeps it fresh and allows for more variety.

Yes the travel cost is more expensive than settling in one location but I think I would become bored staying in one place.

But for those that are content settling in one spot and if that makes them happy more power to them.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I will just do it the way I been doing it for 20 years. Go there, stay a month or two then come back to the USA. Plane tickets can be changed, and hotels can be arranged.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    For me there are so many places to see that I can't see spending all of my time in one location

Once I get to the point that I don't have perceived obligations that keep me in the USA I can see spending much more time in other overseas destinations but never in one spot.

Like maybe 2-3 months at a time in region of a country and than move on to someplace else.

Keeps it fresh and allows for more variety.

Yes the travel cost is more expensive than settling in one location but I think I would become bored staying in one place.

But for those that are content settling in one spot and if that makes them happy more power to them.
    And this is another major consideration. There is so much of the world that I haven't seen! (Heck, for that matter, I've only seen a little of the USA!) I certainly haven't seen enough to make a well-informed decision that "I want to live out my life ... THERE." Besides that, I'd be a fool to base that decision on just one factor, such as cost-of-mongering.

I don't have to move offshore for the sake of low rent ... yet. All the same, it would strain my finances to spend months abroad in "tourist mode." I'll need to shift into something closer to "expat mode," living more as I do at home; leasing an apartment rather than staying in hotels, cooking for myself more than dining out, choosing simpler pleasures over expensive entertainment ... no, not giving up that "expensive entertainment," but not going full-tilt like a "weekend millionaire."

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And this is another major consideration. There is so much of the world that I haven't seen! (Heck, for that matter, I've only seen a little of the USA!) I certainly haven't seen enough to make a well-informed decision that "I want to live out my life ... THERE." Besides that, I'd be a fool to base that decision on just one factor, such as cost-of-mongering.

"
    I still want to see Montana and those States near it.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I still want to see Montana and those States near it.
    There are a whole LOT of states "near it" ...

I've been to California twice - San Diego, and I was born in San Francisco (but Mom took me to Massachusetts when I was 3 months old).

Northwest ... aside from changing planes, I've only gone as far as Wisconsin.

Straight west ... I've gotten to Tulsa, Oklahoma, plus a few visits to St. Louis, Missouri. (Yes, it's true, Missouri loves company ... )

Southwest, I've driven as far as New Orleans, but I've also been to Texas and New Mexico (on US Government business -- never mind what.)

Most of what I've seen of the intervening states, I've seen from the Interstate ... which means I've seen practically nothing.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been to California twice - San Diego, and I was born in San Francisco (but Mom took me to Massachusetts when I was 3 months old).
    I been there about 7 times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Northwest ... aside from changing planes, I've only gone as far as Wisconsin.

Straight west ... I've gotten to Tulsa, Oklahoma, plus a few visits to St. Louis, Missouri. (Yes, it's true, Missouri loves company ... )

Southwest, I've driven as far as New Orleans, but I've also been to Texas and New Mexico (on US Government business -- never mind what.)

Most of what I've seen of the intervening states, I've seen from the Interstate ... which means I've seen practically nothing.
    I been to 26 States and by that, i been to strip clubs in 26 States.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought myself a "midlife-crisis convertible," a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, coupla-years after my mother "went West." I enjoyed that car while I had it, but eventually, it didn't make much sense to keep it; I'd gotten a sailboat, too, and a good "ragtop-down day" was a better "sailing day."

One reason I hung onto it, after getting into sailing, was because I had this dream of driving across America in it, like the "Route 66" TV show of my childhood ... yeah, "getting my kicks on Route 66" was a suitable fantasy...

Some of the old-as-me farts on this board might remember this:

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

I been to 26 States and by that, i been to strip clubs in 26 States.
    I have been to every state except Alaska........... guess its still on my short bucket list
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    I have been to every state except Alaska........... guess its still on my short bucket list
    Yeah ... but from my perspective, up in Ontario, you live almost as far NORTH as Alaska.

(Perspective isn't projection ... nor is it latitude. This post is specifically meant as a shit-post ... )

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    Yeah ... but from my perspective, up in Ontario, you live almost as far NORTH as Alaska.

(Perspective isn't projection ... nor is it latitude. This post is specifically meant as a shit-post ... )
    Oh ... and just for the sheer shit-post of it ... have you been to every Canadian province?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information