Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/2011 - Ex Pats That Fall

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Re: Ex Pats That Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    So what type of work does she do? The bus is 1,500 in Medellin. How much is it there?
    The wife works as a full-time English and French professor at a collegio, and she also works part-time as a English professor for a language institute.

Together, we make roughly over 4 million pesos a month.

The MIO costs the same here ... $1,500 COP.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3somefan View Post
    The wife works as a full-time English and French professor at a collegio, and she also works part-time as a English professor for a language institute.

Together, we make roughly over 4 million pesos a month.

The MIO costs the same here ... $1,500 COP.

I think I have all the facts now. $2,200 a month.

thanks.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTNT40 View Post
    All the ex pats, I met in the DR, seem to be doing really well. Jihad, Lou, Fred, Rob and Serra and the Cubana cafe. They all are business owners. Now Brazil is a different story. The DR welcomes foreign business, but Brazil is so corrupt, their goal is to crush foreign business. In 15 years of travel, I only saw one foreign business, exist longer than one year, and in the end, they got him too. I saw ex pats homeless and living in the favela's 8 deep with whores. Guys would go there, get turned out by the girls and quit their 6 figure job, and when they ran out of money, the whores would dump them. Its tough, one night you see a guy mongering in Help and a few years later you see him, begging for food on the streets of Brazil.
    But every single one of these ex-pats said they would get out if the right offer came along. They are all just breaking even with their DR business but have other sources of income.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    But every single one of these ex-pats said they would get out if the right offer came along. They are all just breaking even with their DR business but have other sources of income.

Exactly, they have their Pensions.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Right on point here it becomes basically something to do for lots of folks.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    Right on point here it becomes basically something to do for lots of folks.
    Absolutely correct and after talking to fred before a lot of guys on this board knew who he was... (glad he's better known now) He'd get out not to mention he talks how he has to work that much harder to succeed there because they have repeatedly tried to run him out. Look at where he's at now compared to where he started out.... ACROSS FROM CLASICO/ CLUB59!!!!
    Last edited by DEPUTY DAWG; 04-22-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Chicas....."Don't walk around like yo shit don't stink cause I'm DEPUTY DAWG I'll put yo booty in the KLINK!!!!!!"

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DEPUTY DAWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3somefan View Post
    The area is called Valle Lili, it's one of the safest areas in Cali. Rent with the administration is $700,000 COP a month.

What do you mean by " Rent with the administration " ???
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    What a wise and humane man you are! Change "Brits" to "English" and be my friend for life!
    What if he was referring to Great Britain as a whole, and not just to England?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    I thought the topic was ex-pats that fail, not mongers that fail. You are right about one thing. The stupid ones will fail running a buisness - monger or not.
    Stupid people rarely succeed at running a business, but many smart people have failed at it. It's not an easy thing to do.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    What do you mean by " Rent with the administration " ???
    Most apartments or condos here will require a administration fee. This covers security, grounds and building maintenance, a pool area, etc. The better the area, the higher the price. For example, we pay $580,000 in actual rent. Then we also pay $120,000 for the administration fee.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,330 Posts

Last edited by BCell; 04-23-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: moved

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BCell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    What's up fellas,

Every time I go to Sosua now I see an ex-pat that seems nearly homeless now. When I first met him hanging out at NG he seemed to be doing well for himself and that he had an online hustle that was allowing him to live well there.

Some guys move to DR or other countries to enjoy the good life on comfortable pensions or reasonable cash reserves. Some relocate with business plans that don't always work out, or without a real plan, help the wrong people, get suckered for their stash or for whatever reason end up down and out and broke.

Some don't want to go home because they don't want to return to the US feeling like a failure embarrassed.

Do you know any ex-pats like this? Do you throw a few pesos their direction when visiting or sasy fuck em they CAN move back or have family somewhere or should've never moved without better plans, and are better off than most locales?
    Sosua has changed a lot as you know, bro. Seems like there are more so-called expats living in Sosua and POP than ever.

You hit the nail on the head. I hear stories of dudes that are living on a shoe string and burn bridges. I can't hate on guys that are trying to make it work however best they can so I wish them all the best. Some are probably escaping from things and people they left behind in the states more than living in the DR for a better lifestyle, but so be it. To each his own.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,894 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el_papi_chew_low View Post
    Sosua has changed a lot as you know, bro. Seems like there are more so-called expats living in Sosua and POP than ever.

You hit the nail on the head. I hear stories of dudes that are living on a shoe string and burn bridges. I can't hate on guys that are trying to make it work however best they can so I wish them all the best. Some are probably escaping from things and people they left behind in the states more than living in the DR for a better lifestyle, but so be it. To each his own.
    Or Canada......
    "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Groucho Marx

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to drdreamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    About 98% will fail.
    wow just saw this thread, started in 2011! I know many ex-pats myself Included 98% is a crazy number and is nowhere true in my experiences, of course some do better than others, but that is just life. Many have assimilated themselves so well, you would never know about them, they are living their lives happily. Of course many that don't make it, never should have tried in the first place, they couldn't make it where they were before, so why would you think they could make it in a foreign country? Losers are losers, no matter where they move, sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality.

I would say that in my experiences about 85% if not slightly more make it, those who don't, weren't seriously someone who you would consider being able to make it anywhere. I know so many ex-pats living successfully, here that it is not even funny, and that includes Europeans, Canadians etc., I will continue to read this thread, to read what has been said, but in my opinion, this is not a serious topic, and reading 98% will fail, I am just scratching my head

I have just read the first two, responses and am already amazed! But continue..........
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

28. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Of course many that don't make it, never should have tried in the first place, they couldn't make it where they were before, so why would you think they could make it in a foreign country? Losers are losers, no matter where they move, sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality.
    I think this about sums it up.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

I had a biz in a foreign country in the late '80's. Did pretty well.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

wow just saw this thread, started in 2011! I know many ex-pats myself Included 98% is a crazy number and is nowhere true in my experiences, of course some do better than others, but that is just life. Many have assimilated themselves so well, you would never know about them, they are living their lives happily. Of course many that don't make it, never should have tried in the first place, they couldn't make it where they were before, so why would you think they could make it in a foreign country? Losers are losers, no matter where they move, sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality.

I would say that in my experiences about 85% if not slightly more make it, those who don't, weren't seriously someone who you would consider being able to make it anywhere. I know so many ex-pats living successfully, here that it is not even funny, and that includes Europeans, Canadians etc., I will continue to read this thread, to read what has been said, but in my opinion, this is not a serious topic, and reading 98% will fail, I am just scratching my head

I have just read the first two, responses and am already amazed! But continue..........
    I am with Jimmy....I think he was referring to businessess not just living on a pension. There is HUGE difference between the 2...

98% of businesses by ex-pats in Sosua have failed....lol..maybe that is high but not by much....

How many businesses actually work out in Sosua?? - the Italian in New Garden is about it.

I would agree any body that has a penison or source of income is going to make it in a foreign country....But if you had to JUST rely on working or running a business that percentage goes WAY down....

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I am with Jimmy....I think he was referring to businessess not just living on a pension. There is HUGE difference between the 2...

98% of businesses by ex-pats in Sosua have failed....lol..maybe that is high but not by much....

How many businesses actually work out in Sosua?? - the Italian in New Garden is about it.

I would agree any body that has a penison or source of income is going to make it in a foreign country....But if you had to JUST rely on working or running a business that percentage goes WAY down....
    I know many ex-pats that are successful, can't really speak about Sosua, as I haven't lived there in over 8 years, and remember ex-pats as I said doesn't only refer to Americans. I would say the majority of successful businesses in Boca chica are run by foreigners. Many Italians, some Germans and Canadians a few Americans and other nationalities. I also know of successful foreigners running or who have ran businessess in Sosua as well.

If you really think about it you will too, even the hotel you guys stay in, when visiting Boca Chica the Garant is owned by a foreigner a Canadian, and he is in the process of expanding. I would go as far as to say the majority of successful businesses in Boca are owned by ex-pats, foreigners.

Also you say Jimmy was referring to businessess, but best of my knowledge that was not what the thread was about. It was if I am not mistaken about ex -pats living in country that failed, some begging on the street.

Just sayin'

36. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I know many ex-pats that are successful, can't really speak about Sosua, as I haven't lived there in over 8 years, and remember ex-pats as I said doesn't only refer to Americans. I would say the majority of successful businesses in Boca chica are run by foreigners. Many Italians, some Germans and Canadians a few Americans and other nationalities. I also know of successful foreigners running or who have ran businessess in Sosua as well.

If you really think about it you will too, even the hotel you guys stay in, when visiting Boca Chica the Garant is owned by a foreigner a Canadian, and he is in the process of expanding. I would go as far as to say the majority of successful businesses in Boca are owned by ex-pats, foreigners.

Also you say Jimmy was referring to businessess, but best of my knowledge that was not what the thread was about. It was if I am not mistaken about ex -pats living in country that failed, some begging on the street.

Just sayin'
    I just saw Jimmy highlighing the relocating business plans on his 98% fail comment...It just seems so many Sosua businesses fail looking from the outside. I will bet though its not easy running a business in a foreign country. And how much money do they actually make....

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

Is it possible that a greater percentage of expat businesses are doing OK now as opposed to before? I only ask because it seems like there are some pretty good restaurants in the Sosua/Cabarete area. The 2 most popular spots in Sosua, Rumba and Clasicos, are owned by foreigners no?

Anyone know some of the big winners/losers of late?

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread Information