Thread: The hidden tax

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

The hidden tax

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    In this country, we are the whales and many people here are the little fish feeding off of us and our money. It's how it is.

I live with this on a daily basis and I can't allow myself to get worked up over these things or I will have a very bad time in this country. It's not right, but I'm just saying in this country you have to roll with the good and the bad. After one month here, my blood pressure was super high and occasionally it escalates, but I can't do much about these kinda things ... so what's the point. Tomorrow it may be some other thing that doesn't work and someone else trying to take from me or steal or scam. It's part of life here, the hidden tax. This is not America.
    Great quote from ohmmmm in another thread.

No, it's not America, and it's not Canada, or the U.K., or Germany, or any other of the "First World" from which we ex-pats may have emigrated to live in the DR.

There are extra charges here: the "gringo" surcharge, the cost of having the same job redone five times before it is acceptable (and rarely totally correctly), the short life of equipment, either because of the humid climate or (more likely) because what look like known and reliable branded goods in the stores are in fact "seconds" or "knock-offs", extra payments you make to feel safe, in your home and when out and about, bribes to police and officials, or just to get normal service in shops and offices. The list is endless, I have mentioned only a few items.

Anyone contemplating moving here should be aware of this "hidden tax" and factor it into their budget. 10% should cover it for newbies. Guys like Mr Happy and Wicked Willie who have been here some years probably can get it down to 2% or 3% but they are still paying it and will always pay it.

The question expats have to ask themselves is "Is it worth it?". In my case the answer is a very clear "Yes, well worth it". I think of all the other taxes I am not paying, and the advantages of living here, and have no doubt whatsoever.

Now about ohmmmm's other observation. If you try and fight and contest the "hidden tax" your life will be hell here.

I had a good ex-pat friend who knew more about living in the DR than most of us will ever learn. Because of his naturally combative temperament, but also I think because of a rather exaggerated and ultimately unhelpful sense of justice, he would fight and contest every issue with every local (and quite a few gringos too), down to the last peso or cent. He didn't pick and choose his battles. Every interface with a local became a battle and he fought them all, from the time he got up, to the time he went to bed. He was proud of winning a lot more than he lost. But they were pyrrhic victories. His former enjoyment of living in the DR (which had inspired so many others to do the same) was long gone, and he led a miserable life.

Obviously there are times you have to draw a line in the sand. You cannot afford a reputation as a pendejo. Some battles you have to fight, but if you have at least half a brain and are prepared to take a step back, not lose your temper, and think things through, you will find they are few and far between.
    Last edited by weyland; 04-29-2011 at 04:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: The hidden tax

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

No, it's not America, and it's not Canada, or the U.K., or Germany, or any other of the "First World" from which we ex-pats may have emigrated to live in the DR.

There are extra charges here: the "gringo" surcharge, the cost of having the same job redone five times before it is acceptable (and rarely totally correctly), the short life of equipment, either because of the humid climate or (more likely) because what look like known and reliable branded goods in the stores are in fact "seconds" or "knock-offs", extra payments you make to feel safe, in your home and when out and about, bribes to police and officials, or just to get normal service in shops and offices. The list is endless, I have mentioned only a few items.

Anyone contemplating moving here should be aware of this "hidden tax" and factor it into their budget. 10% should cover it for newbies. Guys like Mr Happy and Wicked Willie who have been here some years probably can get it down to 2% or 3% but they are still paying it and will always pay it.

The question expats have to ask themselves is "Is it worth it?". In my case the answer is a very clear "Yes, well worth it". I think of all the other taxes I am not paying, and the advantages of living here, and have no doubt whatsoever.

Now about ohmmmm's other observation. If you try and fight and contest the "hidden tax" your life will be hell here.

I had a good ex-pat friend who knew more about living in the DR than most of us will ever learn. Because of his naturally combative temperament, but also I think because of a rather exaggerated and ultimately unhelpful sense of justice, he would fight and contest every issue with every local (and quite a few gringos too), down to the last peso or cent. He didn't pick and choose his battles. Every interface with a local became a battle and he fought them all, from the time he got up, to the time he went to bed. He was proud of winning a lot more than he lost. But they were pyrrhic victories. His former enjoyment of living in the DR (which had inspired so many others to do the same) was long gone, and he led a miserable life.

Obviously there are times you have to draw a line in the sand. You cannot afford a reputation as a pendejo. Some battles you have to fight, but if you have at least half a brain and are prepared to take a step back, not lose your temper, and think things through, you will find they are few and far between.
    Well played Pops. Haven't heard from you in a while. I was starting to get worried......and thinking about my new life with Julie.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you are taking life in the DR much too serious!

What about that Kate chick? And the royal prince? That's what I want to hear about!
    Also I have always favored TOBS as my shaving cream every morning (I am particular to Avocado, Almond, and Eton College.). What do you think? Any insights?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papi_sosua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papi_sosua View Post
    I think you are taking life in the DR much too serious!

What about that Kate chick? And the royal prince? That's what I want to hear about!
    Also I have always favored TOBS as my shaving cream every morning (I am particular to Avocado, Almond, and Eton College.). What do you think? Any insights?

Great post and good points well made Weyland

For Papi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXQH...embedded#at=40

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,606 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papi_sosua View Post
    Some have speculated that she could be the first QILF, which is silly as by the time she gets that Q she’ll be much older.

There is nothing better than spending millions of taxpayers’ pounds on a circus like that, especially in times of plenty like these we’re living nowadays…

Hidden or not, some taxes are really painful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

You and I are exactly on the same page Wayland. Hope your doing well and hope to meet you sometime if you want to. After you posted yourr picture with the wig, I think Robert really wants to see you...privately...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 Times in 652 Posts

Weyland is on the mark...Accept the gringo tax, roll with it and enjoy your experience here. On my first experiences in Latin American countries I fought it and was miserable. Gratefully I learned before I came to the DR.

One obvious example of the gringo tax is with the moto concho drivers. I hand the guy 100pesos and he drives off. So instead I hand the 100 or 50 pesos to the girl and tell her the change is hers. So she gets the 25, 50 or 75 pesos "tax" instead of the driver. I pay the same but I feel better about it and so do the girls.....And you aren't standing there in front of the girl arguing over a few pesos.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Weyland is on the mark...Accept the gringo tax, roll with it and enjoy your experience here. On my first experiences in Latin American countries I fought it and was miserable. Gratefully I learned before I came to the DR.

One obvious example of the gringo tax is with the moto concho drivers. I hand the guy 100pesos and he drives off. So instead I hand the 100 or 50 pesos to the girl and tell her the change is hers. So she gets the 25, 50 or 75 pesos "tax" instead of the driver. I pay the same but I feel better about it and so do the girls.....And you aren't standing there in front of the girl arguing over a few pesos.
    Understood, but why do you hand him 100 in the first place? You have been here often enough to know you need a supply of small change and you have enough Spanish to ensure you always have it by asking for coins and/or small bills every time you draw cash at the bank.

Also, I would never be embarrassed insisting on paying the right price (always assuming I was in the right) in front of a chica. It shows her that you are not a pendejo and you don't have bottomless pockets.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

I get around this issue by telling him how much I'm willing to pay before I get on the bike. Never expect a moto to have change. If you're going hop on a bike make sure you have the exact change or be prepared to give away the closest bill you have to the cost of the ride.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Never expect a moto to have change.
    Motoconchos in Puerto Plata are generally very good about giving change, though sometimes you have to remind them to give it by sticking your hand out. Also few try to charge more than 25 pesos for a short to medium ride. These remarks apply to those wearing the yellow "registration" abrigos. Unregistered ones generally sink to the same level as in Sosúa.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

Thanks for the great insight Weyland. Why fight the inevitable.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,555 Times in 660 Posts

Agree. Be wise, but "sweat not the little thing." Plan your strategy and avoid as many of the awkward situations as possible. For Weyland that means having plenty of exact change on hand. Andother example, this is one of the best reasons to rent instead of buy in the DR. Let the landlord deal with the problem . . . and the vendors, repairmen, etc.

One of my favorite songs was Alabama's "I'm in a hurry and I don't know why." So I slow down and choose a pace that's healthy and wise. The hidden tax is no doubt there, but it is not my native country and I don't feel terribly buy paying a little here and there.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonrisa For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
    For Weyland that means having plenty of exact change on hand. Another example, this is one of the best reasons to rent instead of buy in the DR. Let the landlord deal with the problem . . . and the vendors, repairmen, etc.
    You have covered the range from the most "micro" issue to the most "macro" with those two examples.

I think there are weightier issues involved in "rent v buy" than the Gringo Tax.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 287 Posts

The same thing happens in the US they are just more formal about
    it. They have the guts in the US to put it in law and tell you it's for
    your safety, health, the children, etc. but those are lies. Left and
    right the real reason is to force you to buy someones product or
    service whether you need it or not.
    Last edited by whatever; 05-19-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo

28. The Following User Says Thank You to whatever For This Useful Post:

Thread Information